main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy of the Force - Size Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Some questions have occurred to me while reading this series.

1. How big is the Galactic Alliance Guard?

2. I thought it restricted to Coruscant, how did it become so influential?

3. Why is lead by a Colonel as opposed to a General?

4. How is such a small collection of worlds, forming the Confederation, able to oppose the entire Republic?

5. Does the GAG have their own special suits of armor?

6. Why are so many Ex-Imperials serving in a GFFA organization?

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    1. How big is the Galactic Alliance Guard?

As big as the authors want it to be.

2. I thought it restricted to Coruscant, how did it become so influential?

Because if you control Coruscant, you control the galaxy. It's all they need plotwise.

3. Why is lead by a Colonel as opposed to a General?

Because it would be presumptuous for a Jedi with no military training to be a peer with the best of the best...by being a Colonel, he gets the authority he needs, without making the Generals jealous.

4. How is such a small collection of worlds, forming the Confederation, able to oppose the entire Republic?

Because if they can oppose Coruscant, they can oppose the the galaxy...see questions and the prequels for further evidence.

5. Does the GAG have their own special suits of armor?

Of course they do...and they will look surprisingly similar to Stormie armor should they ever be illustrated.

6. Why are so many Ex-Imperials serving in a GFFA organization?

Same reason Nazis served in government roles in Germany after WW2 and Communist served in Russia after the Soviet Union broke down. Idealism is great for civil movement...bad for civil institutions...those people are in place because they are the civil servants that can get the job done.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    There is a great psychological advantage to being a Colonel as opposed to a General, especially when you are looking at PR.

Colonels are senior officers, but they are really the lowest of the senior officers (at least in the US military - I can't speak for the GFFA). They are experienced leaders, but they aren't usually seen as the political elite (Generals are appointed, not simply promoted).

That's a large part of why many dictators have chosen to remain at the rank of Colonel (see also Muammar al-Gaddafi and Hugo Chavez for examples).

Kimball Kinnison

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There is also a loooooong history of mercenary units not being led by anyone higher than a Colonel, as well as SpecOps groups (in some respects) so having the GAG -- a glorfied band of thugs, mercenaries and SpecOps -- makes perfect sense. ;)

5. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Um, I don't believe there are any ex-Imperials in the GAG. Lekauf's grandfather was an Imperial, but that's a not the same thing.

A lot of American officers in WWII had Confederate ancestors, notably Patton. The military tradition transcends the current government.

6. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    And Hitler only ever achieved the rank of Corporal! ;) [World War I]

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Godwin's Law! You lose! :p

8. SuperLariat

SuperLariat Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    And William Wallace never had even a formal title yet he held sway over the men from 2 - 3 different lands..

9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Size matters not, in Star Wars.

Also, look at which worlds they are. They're worlds with a lot of resources and ships. That makes a big difference too, I think. As well as the rest of the Republic doesn't necessarily agree with Jacen's tactics so they're not forthcoming with their resources.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I could be wrong about this, I usually am, but didn't the Empire withdraw military support when Pellaeon was removed. It could help explain the seemingly weaker New Republic military if the Empire was contributing a lot of firepower?

11. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    What it really comes down to is this:

Yes, the galaxy is as big as your imagination...but the forces that control that galaxy are tiny...and we just assume that most worlds carry on policy based on good faith and self-rule, obeying the guidelines of the noble leaders on Coruscant.

Powerful worlds capable at any time of upsetting the balance of the galaxy:

Corellia
    Coruscant
    Corulag
    Commenor
    Hapes
    Eriadu
    Fondor
    Bastion (Remnant)
    Kuat

Any of these worlds if properly motivated, supported, and prepared, could do sizeable damage to the galactic society. And why? Cause they are either human, or human dominated worlds, of course...and worlds not dedicated to pacifism or high culture like an Alderaan or Chandrila.

Nope...each basic human world is a island fortress of power, and if just 2 or 3 were to join up...chaos in galaxy! 4 or more...revolution!

Atleast...this is what is often inferred.

If the Bothans go buck and start a holy war, the GA/Republic can maneuver that without too much concern over breaking up galactic stability. Corellia...who's membership was always dubious at best...decides to go buck...the universe is doomed...the factor?

Human centrism...not "in-universe" but outside the universe...I'm sure it'll come down to making it "real" or "easier to relate to"...truth..."EASIER TO WRITE".

12. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Just in case anyone's curious...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

13. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Can I complain about the page count of Inferno here?

I can't remember a shorter SW paperback.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Big enough to do its job -- more than the core unit we seem to see around Jacen and Ben. It started fairly small, but by now it's upsized to a few battalions.

I'm not sure if it began with a Coruscant-only restriction, as opposed to simply operating mostly on Coruscant, but it's clear by now that its authority has been expanded to go wherever Jacen thinks they ought to go.

Because it doesn't require that level of rank. It's a few battalions of special ops and intelligence troopers. It's like asking why Rogue Squadron isn't led by a general.

"But it's an important, well-known unit we see do a lot of stuff!"

"Well, yeah, but it's just a single squadron."

It's a silly idea that everything vaguely important needs to be run by a general because it's "cooler" that way.

They're key worlds -- worlds with industrial resources, major trade connections, strong economies. Also, many aren't just planets. The Bothans carry practically an entire sector of space in their pocket. If "the Bothans" secede, that means Bothan Space secedes -- and takes probably a couple dozen industrialized, asset-rich worlds. The Hutts have even more worlds. Also, we seem to be in an era of very strong local defense fleets. Hapes has 25% of the military muscle of the entire 9-fleet GA. Commenor can muster a major fleet (with presumably something strong left for home defense), probably something at least half the strength of a GA fleet.

I think they've been established as having such, yes.

Uh, what ones do you have in mind? The only ex-Imperial I've seen is on the Confederation side. Unless you're talking about Han and Tycho.:p

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Because it doesn't require that level of rank. It's a few battalions of special ops and intelligence troopers. It's like asking why Rogue Squadron isn't led by a general.

Except they have their own Star Destroyer and have arrested a million people by themselves...

16. SuperLariat

SuperLariat Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    C19, you expect less out of the elite fighter squadron founded by none other then Luke Skywalker?

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They have a Star Destroyer? Do you know who usually commands one capital ship? A captain. You know what army rank captain is equivalent to? Colonel.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What Empire?

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Like I suggest, they have been noticably absent since Pelleaon dissapeared. I'm sure they could still contribute some military might, still ruling a large area of space and not just a couple planets. Maybe they will return or maybe they have disapeared from the face of the galaxy until events in the legacy comic series start.

Edit: I just refreshed myself on Wookiepedia. It says something about the Moff's wanting to support Corellia but Pellaeon opposing it after he stepped down from the GA. There, clear as mud............

20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Not really helping, but I think the idea of all the GAG fitting on one Star Destroyer and then completely moving to another place once the plot needs them at the frontlines is very funny...

21. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I'll take a crack at a few...

2. I think Coruscant itself is so influential that a group that has authority on that planet may appear to have authority on other planets and that authority likely won't be challenged. I think one of the earlier LoTF books stated that "Coruscant IS the Galactic Alliance." That statement may be a little overkill...but it is true on some levels.

4. Shipyards. Corellia and Bothawui make weapons of war. To start an insurrection, that is about all you need.

6. I believe this fact to be some sort of Propaganda. To get the Imperials to actually feel like there is some type of unity between themselves and their former and future rivals, they need to include them in as many things as possible. The alternative of course, it to alienate them to the point where they want to go back to warring with the Alliance.

22. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd assume it's actually a rather small organization. Large enough to enforce the law over Coruscant, but outside Coruscant, it's membership seems to consist mainly of a few agents or field companies and the Anakin Solo.

If I remember correctly, at first, it had Cal Omas' backing, then, Jacen & Niathal couped the government, so it became Jacen's private Guard.

Because a Colonel is the appropriate rank for an officer who leads this size organization. His command of other forces stems from his position as a member of the ruling triumverate/duo.

Well, in Star Wars, there are indeed millions of worlds, but the majority seem to sit idly by, apathetic to what goes on around them politically speaking. The Confederation has the backing of many major players in the Galaxy, and it can be assumed that there are many other planets not worth mentioning which likewise support the Confederation. More to their benefit, a large number of planets are likely sitting on the sideline, taking a "wait and see" approach.

I'd assume so. I personally picture them similar to the armor Luke & co. wore on the cover of one of the recent issues of the Rebellion Comic.

I can't think of any specific ex-Imperial individuals in the GAG, but the answer is really simple: A massive, galaxy spanning government which trades individual freedom for security and stamps out any seditious behavior. Who does that sound like to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.