main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Legacy of the Red Sun --2007 Fanfic Award Nominee-Author's Note 6/26/2008

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Marrs, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Nominated for 2007 Best Crossover

Nominated for 2007 Best New Author

Many thanks to the voters who nominated Legacy of the Red Sun for Best Crossover and yours truly as best new author. It was a thrill to see my name next to so many other great writers. Win or lose, I still win for having been able to share such a wonderful experience with all of you on these boards.

Cheers!
    Darth Marrs

Legacy of the Red Sun

A Star Wars/Superman Crossover

This is an AU Star Wars story written in three sections that parallel the Original Triligy Movies. The three parts are:

Part I: Legacy of the Red Sun

Part II: Legacy of the Red Sun: Empire?s Revenge

Part III: Legacy of the Red Sun: The Last Son of Krypton

AU Timeframe: 15 BBY-0 ABY

Characters: Ben Kenobi, Darth Vader, Mara Jade, Palpatine, Princess Leia, Han Solo, the Naberrie family (mainly Pooja and Sola), a few minor OCs, and a fifteen-year-old Kryptonian raised under the name Kale.

Summary: Luke Skywalker died in a tragic speeder accident on Tattooine. Fate fills the gap by delivering to Obi-Wan a child with powers the likes of which the galaxy has never seen.

Disclaimer: Lucas owns all, except Superman. DC owns him. This story was written for my personal enjoyment and the enjoyment of any friends who wish to read.

Nod to Plot Bunnys Past.

A Superman/Starwars crossover is not new by any stretch. I know of at least three other Superman/SW c/o you can locate in Fan Fiction Resource. Now, there's at least a fourth. Hope you enjoy.

Part I: Legacy of the Red Sun

Chapter One: While the Wind Blew

This was not how it was supposed to be.

Ben Kenobi, once a Jedi master and general of the Clone Wars, stood with tears streaming openly down his grizzled, bearded face as the dust and wind howled around his cloak and hood.

He knelt down by the mound of sand and placed a hand on the freshly turned dirt. No, this was not how it was supposed to be. Amidst all the darkness they had faced, all the tragedy and pain he and Yoda had suffered, there had always been this one gleaming beacon of hope.

He looked up at the other mounds. He had never been close to Owen Lars, but for Beru he always held a soft spot in his heart. She smiled at him whenever he snuck by to check on the boy, and for the first two months, as he struggled to learn the rote of living on Tatooine, she had provided much needed food and shelter.

Now they, like the beacon that had been Luke Skywalker, lay under a mound of dirt while the wind howled in maniacal triumph around them. Luke Skywalker, the last hope for the Jedi, was dead.

He died, of all things, in a speeder accident.

Some part of Ben wanted it to be a conspiracy. He wanted to find evidence of dark forces at work. He imagined the specter of Darth Vader reaching out to snuff out the life of his son, or the more facile, subtle and deadly embrace of the emperor trying to turn the young boy to darkness. Never in his life, though, would Ben have imagined Owen losing control and driving his speeder into a sandstone pillar.

The entire family was killed instantly, and it fell to Ben to bury them. It fell to Ben to carry the body of a four-year-old boy who had all the potential fate and the Force could pack into one beautiful child, and place him in the unforgiving void that was his grave. It fell to Ben to mourn not just the passing of three innocent lives, but also of the hopes of an entire galaxy. It fell to Ben to stand there now, weeping while the wind blew.

?I am sorry, Anakin,? he whispered, though his voice was lost even to his own ears. Let the wind have the sound. It did not matter. They were words none should have heard anyway, not even

2. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    I say this is DEFINENTLY worth a second post and many others. Im very interested to see where you go with this!

Vader rose, and with a terrifying roar slammed his fist into the chest of the trooper. The blow, strengthened by rage, the Force, and cybernetics, sent the already dead man?s body flailing through the air to crash into sand meters away. The other troopers remained passive and at attention.

:) Loved this part.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh, great start! :D Please put me on your PM list! Crossovers are hard to pull off, I think, and this promises to be a good one. =D=

4. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Ack, I didn't realize you were going to start posting already. At least you didn't promise any set schedule on posting. I should be able to keep ahead of you.

Poor Luke. :_| Ben is going to have his hands full with Super Baby. ;)

5. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    Thanks for the support, I certainly will (especially since the dang thing's already done and I can't imagine posting it anywhere else).

Thanks--I'm glad you came over to take a look!

Yeah. Crossovers like this really are hard. There is no place in Star Wars canon for Superman. So for this to work, I had to make room. For Kale/Sups to be who and what he is would have diminished Luke, and that just wasn't fair.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Here is the next chapter for your reading pleasure!

Chapter Two: Paradise In a Smile

?Mother, Kale is jumping off the cliff!?

Sola Naberrie scrambled to her feet as her eyes automatically sought the top of the cliff lining the beach where they had picnicked that day. Just as Ryoo had said, when she looked up from her position on the sandy beach she could see the teenager standing on the very edge of the five hundred foot cliff, his arms held out to either side, his body already swinging forward.

?Kale!? she screamed as her son began falling.

Her husband Darred was also on his feet and running toward the edge of the cliff, Sola and her daughters Pooja and Ryoo right behind him. They heard the loud thud of their son?s body impacting the sand and rock of the beach, and pushed themselves even harder. They crested a dune of sand just in time to see Kale picking himself up from the ground and dusting himself off. He wore a large, silly grin. His pure black hair was also sandy, and he had sand around his face where he had fallen, but otherwise he was unharmed.

The ground, however, could not claim the same. There was a crater almost ten centimeters deep where he had landed.

?Kale, we told you not to do that!? Darred said. ?What if someone had seen you!?

?There?s no one around, Dad,? Kale said. ?I checked. Promise.?

The worse thing was they knew he meant it. Kale did not lie well. It did not stop him from trying on occasion, but he simply could not look a loved one in the face while lying, and all of them knew that when he wanted to really check his surroundings out, he could do so with a vision beyond even that of the most acute visual aids.

?Well, just be more careful in public, will you??

Kale, who at fifteen was already taller than Darred, and in fact everyone in his school including faculty, laughed, and then swept all four of them into a hug. ?You got it, Dad! What?s for lunch, I?m starving!?

?We?re here celebrating Pooja, Kale, not your stomach,? Ryoo said.

?Every meal is a celebration of my stomach,? Kale said with an irresistible grin. Ryoo snorted in exasperation even as she let her much younger brother put his arm around her shoulder. Then he snagged Senator Pooja Naberrie in the other arm. ?It?s too bad everyone knows we're family,? he said to the air. ?Every guy in school would die of jealously if he saw me holding the two most beautiful ladies on Naboo!?

?Flattery will get you everywhere, little brother,? Pooja said. She and the rest smiled, unable to stay mad at Kale no matter how hard they tried, or how much he deserved it. And he frequently deserved it.

They settled down to a luscious meal in a setting of pure paradise. The waves of the blue lake broke with peaceful music against the shore, while the forest above them cackled and sang with the natural fauna. The sky overhead held a few pearls of cloud that merely made the blue expanse even lovelier. It was, Kale thought, a perfect day.

Naturally, Ben ha

6. ikarit

ikarit Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2006
    Oh, no! Luke. ;_; I just found this fic and though I'm still in the process of mourning Luke (Luke!! Not Luke! You killed off Luke!! How could you do that?), naturally I've fallen in love with this fic just like I fell in love with your other one. Please add me to your PM list!

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    ANOTHER wonderful update. I would say more, but I'm supposed to be cleaning. [face_shhh]

=D=

8. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Can a certain green-eyed redhead ever be trusted? Time will tell.

Kale is pulling the same daredevil stunts with the Naberries that I imagine young Clark pulled with the Kents.

9. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Oh, man. Not the way I expected Luke to die, but the awesome and hilarious way you made that bumbling Clark come to life was to die for! [face_laugh] (Which Luke did...) [face_worried] I would LOVE a PM when this continued! Keep up the great work!

Raptor517

10. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    ikarit--Sorry about killing Luke. He didn't suffer much, if that's any consolation.

VaderLvr64--You're secret life outside of cleaning is safe with me!

Jedi-2B--Always beware redheads named Arica. By the way, have I mentioned in this story what a wonderful Beta reader I have?

Raptor517--thank you, and will do.

Well, we have one more chapter of happy, fluffy stuff before things start happening. Enjoy.

Chapter Three: Red Haired Angel

?Kale, you have no idea how much danger you?re in,? Ben said.

The former Jedi stood with his arms crossed and his eyes flashing angrily down at where Kale sat. When he got home, his mother icily reminded him of his early appointment with Ben, and he had rushed to the clearing to find the Jedi waiting with less than his usual grace.

?I know, Ben. I?m sorry.?

?Sorry isn?t always enough, Kale. I have to know your heart is in this. If you are going to really begin training, you have to do so with your whole heart. You?re already old to begin with.?

Kale nodded, but Ben didn?t believe it, and said as much. ?For instance, your mind was nowhere near here just then,? the Jedi said.

Kale shrugged and blushed. ?I?m sorry, Ben. I really am. It?s just?something wonderful happened today, and I?m having a hard time not thinking about it.?

?Something wonderful??

?Someone wonderful.?

Ben rolled his eyes and sat on a boulder nearby while overhead the evergreens whistled in the wind as if laughing. ?A girl. Perfect. Just perfect. Of all the times you could have decided to give in to your raging hormones, why did it have to be on the verge of galactic civil war??

That last caught Kale?s attention. ?Civil war??

?Kale, what do you think I?ve been talking about all this time? I am a part of the rebellion, at least insofar as I?ve been a part of anything since I found you. The Rebel Alliance contacted me a few days ago to request my aid. But the act of contacting me has placed me in danger, and possibly you as well. That?s why it is so very important for you to start your training.?

Kale nodded soberly, for the moment dismissing thoughts of Arica. He was too young to remember the slaughter of Queen Apailana at Theed Palace, but it was not so long ago that the scars had completely been erased. In fact, Queen Kylantha purposely refused to repair the damage in the palace from the Fall of Naboo, including the blaster holes in the floor where her predecessor Queen Apailana had been killed.

?I think I understand, Ben. What do you want to do first??

?First, we learn to control that significant strength of yours.?

That night, after four straight hours of training by Ben, Kale walked into his home and began raiding the pantry. He pulled out enough food to feed the family twice over and began preparing a sandwich the size of a newborn Gungan.

?Hello, son,? a voice said.

Kale dropped his sandwich, but then caught it before it traveled ten centimeters, as his mother walked in and sat down at the table. He gulped, then grinned and nodded to his snack. ?I was hungry.?

?I noticed,? his mom said with an indulgent smile. ?How did your time with Ben go??

?He was really mad at me for being late, but I think he felt better after we were done. I really am trying.?

She reached across and touched his arm lovingly and smiled despite herself as he managed to stuff a fistful of food in his mouth. What was more amazing was the fact it really didn?t look like that large of a bite in comparison to the rest of him. ?Kale, a good friend of mine saw you today at my sister?s monument. She said you were with a young woman, and that you were kissing.?

Kale put the sandwich down and realized his cheeks were radiating enough heat to melt nerf cheese. ?Uhh, Mom?.?

?From what I understand, she was a very beautiful young woman. Can you tell me her name??

?Arica. Arica Soonda.?

?The new Imperial Liaison?s daughter,? Sola noted in a singularly neutral fashion. ?How old is she, Kale??

?She?

11. Raptor517

Sep 12, 2006
    Interesting. The poor little spy isn't going to be happy when he runs into Kale, though. [face_beatup] Hope another post comes soon!

Raptor517

12. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Now I know why Yoda kept Luke on Dagobah to train him. No girls to distract him!

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! :D

?A few. My Daddy?s in the military. I?ve traveled with him a lot. We just usually don?t stay more than a week or two. Sometimes a month.?

Kale nodded. ?Have you ever been on a star destroyer??

?Yes.?

?What?s it like??

?Boring,? she said, wrinkling her nose. ?Everything is gray. I keep telling Daddy that if he wanted to boost morale, all he?d have to do is have the ships painted a different color. Gray this, black this. The Empire isn?t big on color. Even the uniforms are boring.?

Yeah, grey gets a bit monotonous after awhile! :p

=D=

14. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    Poor little spy isn't the only one who will regret running into Kale!

A pretty face can do more to disrupt a young male's ability to learn than any other phenomenon known to humanity.

Thank you.

We few, we lucky few, we readers of Darth Marrs's Legacy of the Red Sun. I appreciate you folks. Chapter Four is where things get hopping. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Four: Nothing Left

?He?s late again,? Ben said. His charge?s absence was so predictable he found it difficult to be angry.

Sola shrugged with a knowing smile as she handed him a cup of hot tea. She sat on the settee opposite him and sipped her own cup. ?I?ve never seen him like this. He?s so happy. Even Mother had difficulty being upset when she saw them together yesterday.?

?Really?? Ben said archly. ?Tell me about this fascination of his. She must be remarkable.?

?I?ve not met her yet, but Jobal said she was a beautiful young girl. From Coruscant, from what I understand. The Imperial Liaison?s daughter. I?Ben, are you all right??

Ben let the cup drop from his lips and stared at her with an open expression of horror. ?Sola, Moff Soonda does not have a daughter. He has never been married. It is possible he has never been with a woman. He lives like a monk.?

?But she said she was his daughter.?

Ben put his cup down on the table between them. ?Sola, can you tell me what she looks like??

?Only what Jobal told me. Red hair. Green or blue eyes. Slim and athletic.?

Ben closed his eyes a moment, trying to recall if the description meant anything to him. Suddenly he felt a surge in the Force and shot to his feet. ?Sola, leave!?

?What??

The front door exploded. Sola screamed as the concussion wave of the explosion threw her from her feet. Ben unthinkingly called her to him with the Force and fell with her to the floor as the shattered remnants of the door and the frame streaked by over their heads. Instantly he jumped back to his feet as two stormtroopers rushed in.

Ben?s lightsaber flashed out, deflecting two bolts back to the chests of the shooters. Both men fell as another larger, darker figure entered the room. On the floor, Sola gasped and began crawling away. Ben, however, stood his ground.

?Master Kenobi,? the Dark Lord?s voice hissed with pleasure. ?What a surprise to find you on Naboo. I see this planet agrees with you.?

?I wish I could say the same for you, Vader, but every time you come here people die.?

Vader turned his attention to Sola, who blanched before his masked visage. ?No one else need die, Kenobi. Just tell me. Tell me about Luke.?

Kenobi braced himself. ?He died in a speeder accident.?

?So she lived. She survived Mustafar, and you took her from me.?

Sola stared from one figure to the other, realization dawning. ?Padmé?? she whispered. ?You?re talking about Padmé!?

Invisible fingers grabbed her by the throat, lifting her from the debris-strewn floor and slamming her against the sitting-room wall. ?Tell me what you know!? Vader demanded.

Ben took a step forward, but did not attack. ?Isn?t it enough that you killed Padmé, Vader?? he said softly, as he once spoke to his apprentice. ?Do you have to kill her sister as well??

Sola fell without warning to the floor as Vader turned the full force of his will against his former master. ?Tell me,? he said, threatening; pleading.

?He was born. I took him to Tatooine to live with Beru and Owen. He was happy. He was everything you should have been but weren?t. And then he died. Owen swerved to avoid a womprat and slammed their speeder into a rock formation. It was an accident.?

?An accident th

15. cibbler

cibbler Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2006
    There might be more Superman / SW cross overs but this is my first and I quite enjoyed what I've read so far. Looking forward to the next post.

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Great update! =D=

Darth Vader, whom she met only once as Anakin Skywalker, did not realize it.

Vader sensed the sudden wave of emotion from Sola, as did Ben. ?You will die today, Obi-Wan,? Vader said. ?But she does not need to. I will spare the Naberries if you cooperate. Resist me, and they all die.?

Sola pushed herself to her feet and calmly set her jaw. She raised her chin and envisioned not the deadly black-suited monster before her, but the shy, confused teenager he once was. ?Anakin Skywalker,? she whispered. She took another step forward. ?She loved you so much, Anakin. Was she so very wrong??

Ouch. That had to hurt.

17. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Must have more Superman/Star Wars goodness! I demand that you update as soon as possible! PLEASE [face_praying] And if you're doing a pm list add me to this one too! Thanks
    -dajohu

18. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Darth Anakin hasn't mellowed a bit, has he? Poor Sola. Loose lips sink ships.

And then there's poor Kale. Well, that's one way to quiet those raging teenaged hormones. Good thing Arica forgot to stick around and check to make sure her victim was dead.

19. Raptor517

Sep 12, 2006
    Nasty little lady. Sola should have known better, too. But I can't wait to read/see :confused: Arica's face when she finds out Kale isn't dead! :eek: Great post!

Raptor517

20. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    Thank you, glad to have you reading.

Indeed. This is definitely a Dark Side Vader.

Thank you, and will do. Generally I'm posting these at the same time as GOD&L, so I'll send you a reminder for both.

Yep. I really liked Sola, too. I envisioned Annette O'Toole from Smallvilel being slammed into a wall like that. Very sad.

Thank you. Yes, she's going to be in for quite a shock this coming chapter.

And without further ado, here is Chapter 5, in which everything goes wrong, for everyone. I hope you enjoy.

Chapter Five: Somebody Save Me

Ben ran through the streets of Naboo as fast as his feet would carry him. The Force flowed through him as he moved, easing the ache of old bones and muscles not accustomed to such exertion. He knew even with the Force as his ally he did not move as fast as he once did.

He lost. He lost a fight with his former padawan. It was the first lightsaber duel since Count Dooku that he lost, and it left a bitter taste in his mouth.

But that bitterness was nothing compared to the pain of losing yet another Naberrie friend to Darth Vader. So, he ran with all the speed he could, across the city of Theed, to the planetary offices of Senator Pooja Naberrie.

Her two secretaries stood in surprise as the dirtied and battered old man flew by them. Her security contingent began drawing their weapons, only to be batted aside by an unseen force. Her executive assistant sitting beside the senator?s desk stood in shock as the locked office door blew open under a well-aimed swing of a lightsaber.

And Pooja herself stood with a look of shock and horror on her face, remembering well the last time a lightsaber was seen on the surface of Naboo. ?Ben, what is this??

Ben stood before her, chest heaving, and realized he was about to fall down. He waived at a chair, which came to his aid as he collapsed. Pooja moved around her desk as she waived her staff and security detail back. ?Ben, what is going on? What are you doing with that sword??

Pooja had never met General Obi-Wan Kenobi. She was still a child during the Clone Wars. But she knew the name, and Ben confirmed the suspicions she developed when she saw him move the chair with his mind.

?I am Obi-Wan Kenobi. I was a Jedi master. Darth Vader knows I?m here, and you are all in danger.? He looked up and took the senator?s hand. ?Pooja, I am so sorry. I?m so sorry. Vader killed Sola.?

Pooja pulled away from him. ?Every time the Jedi come here, our people die,? she whispered, tears welling in her eyes. ?My mother is dead, because of you! How could you do this to us? How could you put us in this danger? How could you put her in this danger??

?I?m so sorry, Pooja,? Ben said. ?Vader is coming for you. He?Sola told him something she shouldn?t have, and now he?s going to be hunting you all down. You have to collect the rest of your family and your grandparents, and leave the planet!?

?What about Kale??

?Kale?? Ben stood, reaching out to the Force. He felt nothing, but was not surprised. He only sensed Kale when the boy activel

21. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Wow, loving the update! I laughed out loud when Kale took out all those stormies and punched Vader halfway across the hanger. Can't wait to see where this goes next. Keep up the awesome work!

22. Raptor517

Sep 12, 2006
    Hee Hee! I loved it! Jade's shock:eek: --Vader's shock:eek: [face_beatup] --and the shock waves left over from the Stormtrooper smashing![face_beatup] [face_skull] [face_beatup] [face_pumpkin] [face_beatup] :oops:

This is getting better all the time! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Great post, hoping for another one as soon as possible!

Raptor517

23. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    The womprat's out of the bag now. Vader and Mara and Palpy have some serious planning to do to devise a way to kill Kale. I love how Kale punched Vader. And we don't even have to feel bad about it, since Vader isn't Kale's father.

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Can't wait to see what happens next! :eek:

?Let them go, Darth,? he said. ?You can have me, just let them go.?

?It is too late for that, Obi-Wan,? the Dark Lord said. ??Children?, she said. Padmé had twins.? He took a step forward. ?Where is the other child, Obi-Wan? Tell me this, and I will spare their lives.?

?She died at birth, Darth,? Obi-Wan lied. ?They were both hurt by what you did to Padmé, and we were only able to save Luke.?

?You lie, old man,? Vader said. He took another step forward. ?Tell me, or I will make the Naberrie family suffer for years to come. I have already killed Sola and her husband, and the boy. And if you don?t tell me what I want to know, I will kill the rest.?

=D=

25. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    You know....I like it! I have seen a few Superman/Star Wars crossover fics but I really do like what you are doing with this one. Keep up the good work!!

Incidentally, I am curious about the "green crystal". I would have thought it to be Kryptonite but I seems I am mistaken. I would love to see what Kale does to the Emperor if he gets a hold of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.