main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy & TOR vs. the movies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually, I'm more irritated at the Jedi than Krayt. Early on, they clarified half the Jedi survived. They were just in hiding.

You know, despite existing in vast numbers.

Jedi Merkurian and Ulicus like this.
  2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Nom Anor flat out admitted that the Empire would have crushed the Vong; that's why they waited. Militarily, the Empire is by far the more dangerous entity.

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

We're talking about The New Republic/Rebel Alliance vs the villains, not the villains vs each other, so it really doesn't matter how the Empire would've fared against the Vong. What matters is that in terms of fighting both the heroes had problems fending off the enemy and were subject to different threats from each. No one was running around talking about how the Empire was the bigger stronger enemy. Both were presented as credible, and it was left up to the readers to decide for themselves.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Didn't you hate that?"

"If not for our heroes, the galaxy would be safe from the pain-worshiping demons."

5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    but there's those planet-destroying tyrants

6. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Actually, Anor's remarks confirm the Empire was the "bigger, stronger" enemy. The more dangerous enemy? Perhaps not. But "bigger and stronger" were definitely conferred to the Empire by the narration.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I dunno, it's a choice between Space Hitler and Space Stalin. But, frankly, I might prefer the Empire if I had to choose.

365 Trillion Casualties kind of dwarfs Alderaan.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  8. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Ok then. Bigger doesn't equal better. We're talking about the danger level an enemy poses to the heroes, and once more the Empire wasn't presented as any more dangerous or superior than the Vong when taken from the heroes perspective.

9. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I'm inclined to agree with Han on the Empire v.s. Vong Scenario
    "What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors or some other mistake and a hotshot enemy pilot would have dropped a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."

10. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm not interested in value judgments. They are, as you say, subjective. I'm inclined to believe that the Vong were more dangerous in practice than the Empire because the Vong would casually raze worlds whereas that was something of a last resort measure for the Empire.

It's the difference between the USA and al-Qaeda: who was more dangerous? One is the world's most powerful military force whereas the other was a leader of a comparatively negligible terrorist network. In terms of strength, resources, projection of power, the USA is a zillion times the threat al-Qaeda is. But in practice, an al-Qaeda operative scares me a hell of a lot more than a US soldier.

I don't care if ten or ten thousand fans think the Vong, Krayt, or even Bandon is more dangerous than Sidious. That's subjective. Accomplishments aren't. As long as they don't mirror or recycle the stuff Sidious achieved, I'm cool.

11. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Just gonna quote myself:

"The Vong and the Empire were juxtaposed, but at no point was it said that the threat the Vong posed was any less than that which the Empire posed."

And that's all that matters.

12. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I don't disagree.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So what of the ouroboros that is LFL for you then Sable? As they've signed off all this stuff you see as being so terribly disrespectful.

re: the Empire being a bigger threat to the Vong

First, consider Anor is full of crap and will say anything, anywhere to screw over anyone.

Second, it should be obvious. Massive military fleet + total amorality in how its used is going to beat the New Republic who have these pesky things called moral principles that will limit how far they can go. I think they could have gone further within the confines of them in fighting the Vong in the first two years, but plot dictates the NR must be steam-rollered.

As for al-Qaeda and the US, the overall aim of a terrorist is to make people feel terrified - so, you do that, yes, they do win, therefore, in the words of Yoda: Do not.

14. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    GL would "sign off" on anything besides Luke dying. He doesn't seem to care about characters that he didn't create.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So if Lucas has no "respect" for his own body of work that kind of opens the floodgates doesn't it?

I can't really agree with this reverence for the EU because every EU contributor is invited in to do so - you can't just walk in and say: Hey, I wanna do a SW story!

And every contributor, no matter what their output or its nature, is on record as being a SW fan, which implies they really do love the films, that's why they're doing this at all.

Can unintentional, unplanned, unnoticed elements = lack of "reverence" (however defined)? Easily, out of cock-up and conspiracy, the former is far more likely!

16. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, then I wasn't talking about you. ^^

17. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Yet. Is your perspective on history so myopic that you think it can't happen again? And I am not saying that Nazis will return (as a German I can safely say that this would be rather improbable), but some other tyrant may rise in the next decades. Generally the Germans get blamed for WWI and WWII, after all. There was Napoleon III. after the first one who ruled France. "Sequels" are not exactly unknown in history.

18. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah I dont want to hear about how non badass the big bad is. My god it makes the heroes look lame if Darth Vader and Palpatine were actually going to show up then regular refrences make sense but they dont really factor in directly. I have no need to hear how they were so much better then Krayt.

19. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Sable_Hart, could Legacy also be a holodrama?

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, and the Original Trilogy.

ONLY THE PREQUELS ARE CANON!

:-D

Gamiel and purplerain like this.
  21. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Why would either trilogy be a holodrama?

22. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008

[​IMG]

Gamiel and purplerain like this.
  23. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The ST will ignore the OT!

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It will be offhandedly mentioned in EVII that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan died on Saak'ak and Anakin Skywalker became a famous podracer and singer.

purplerain likes this.
  25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    And Palpatine lost the election of 32 BBY and has no clue what The Force is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.