"Legacy" TPM AU fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Rhui Chatar, Sep 10, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celes Jedi Knight

star 1
    I wonder what will happen next.... Nice long post. Thank you.
  2. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    GREAT!! Once again, I didn't see it coming ... After all we put Xanantos through on these forums, one could almost start to feel sorry for him, not! Whoo hooo!

Great Story, RC!
  3. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    14/1

Having sufficiently warmed up with sets of postures, that Qui-Gon found different and challenging, Durgan proceeded to organize weapons practice.

"Lohane, you and Qui-Gon. Sabers," and Durgan tossed his saber to Lohane.

"Me! I don't have to pass for a Jedi, You do!" Lohane said panic stricken.

"True, but we need to start slowly. Qui-Gon needs to warm up and he won't know our patterns. Besides, I don't think he wants to kill you just yet." Durgan replied looking at Qui-Gon and smiling. "You can get even with him when we practice misdirection with plasma weapons. Just begin with the setra pattern and let Qui-Gon follow."

Lohane looked skeptically at Qui-Gon and was relieved to see him smiling as he went to retrieve his saber. Resigned to the task Lohane walked to the middle of the deck, powered the saber on and took the beginning stance of setra. Qui-Gon could tell that he was not comfortable facing him and had faced many a padawan with that same mind set.
    Lohane waited as Qui-Gon got into position. Lohane looked to Qui-Gon and Qui-Gon nodded that he was ready to begin.

Qui-Gon anticipated Lohane's first move from his stance but after that it was all defensive reaction and was not slow. Qui-Gon was surprised at the skill level considering how sheepish Lohane had been about starting. He could feel no clues coming through the bond concerning which move or attack would come next, but he could feel Lohane's deep regard for Durgan's appraisal of his performance. Some of the forms were different but most were comparable to what he was used to, it was the combinations that were strange. He made a few attempts to counter offensively where he thought there would be openings but Lohane was always just a shade faster with a block from an unexpected direction. It was exhilarating.

Qui-Gon could feel Rhayna watching, feel that she was feeling his exhilaration and adding her own at seeing him move with the power and grace of a focused Jedi. Rhayna realized she might be distracting Qui-Gon and replaced her tunics and left the deck to go to the hold with Xanatos. Now would be a good time to plant the necessary false memory before they woke the prisoner. Later they would test disguises before reaching Coruscant. It was a simple matter of letting Xanatos see in his memory that he had hit Qui-Gon and not Durgan with both quarrels. All that would then be needed for him to be conscious so he could feel Qui-Gon?s supposed passing into the Force. He would not question his own memory after that experience.

Durgan called an end to the set and walked up and took the saber from Lohane. "So do you think I might know the saber well enough now or do you still want to see for yourself?" Durgan asked watching Qui-Gon as he stood catching his breath.

"I am surprised. I hadn't expected that," he said smiling at Lohane who had gone to drink and wipe his face. " Someone has taught you well, Lohane. You're better than you give yourself credit for."

"Just because I'm good at it doesn't mean I like it," Lohane replied gravely.

"Don't build him up too much, he's a long way to go yet and knows it.  What I need is for you to tell me when I perform a pass that would not be used by the Jedi. If I have to spar at the temple I would not like to stick out from the group too much. We'll do the setra again and please do try to break in offensively but shout when I use something that the Jedi would not." Durgan pulled on his side for a moment stretching the soreness in his side and then settled into the same beginning stance that Lohane had assumed.

Qui-Gon was more guarded this time, considering that Durgan had taught Lohane he didn't for a moment want to misjudge Durgan's skill. He would watch and learn. He hadn?t forgot that Durgan was healing just now and that may account for some weakness. They began. It was faster. Qui-Gon realized almost immediately that he had let Durgan's appearance as the older Nakai influence his expectations. His judgement of Durgan's abilities was severely underestimated. He saw a move that was foreign and called Durgan on
  4. Jaro Jedi Knight

star 1
    Eeek! A cliffhanger!

Keep going, please!!
  5. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aw Shucks, you noticed!
    Thanks Jaro
    Meesa learnin'
    RC
  6. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
  7. Durga2000 Jedi Knight

star 1
  8. Celes Jedi Knight

star 1
  9. Sarah Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just browsing thru the forums, and found this. Of course, I've been reading since about chapter 5 or 6, via the QGJ Discussion List link. It's good to know others are enjoying and supporting this effort! I've been printing them out and reading them to my husband for bedtime stories, and he's totally hooked too.
    One of the things that grabbed me right from the first chapter, was the sense of picking up in the middle of unfolding events (just like the films!). Here are these interesting characters, with a long (!) history together, complex relationships with each other, and the reader is gradually clued in as things go along. Just like meeting real people.
    Eagerly awaiting the next installment...
    Sarah
  10. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok men... here's some more...
    cliff hanger sorta but not too much...

15/1 - Aliases

The Nafieri transport had automatically dropped out of hyperspace at the predetermined coordinates just as Rhayna had finished with the prisoner. She had heard the warning claxon just as she been leaving the aft hold which had been the prisoners confinement area since they had left Naboo.
    She rushed to the bridge and all appeared as it should, but there was a subtle thread running through the Force. It was faint and was possibly nothing but she stayed to observe the automatic scanning equipment. Moments later a ship dropped out of hyperspace on the same vector that they had been traveling.

At her summons Durgan and Lohane arrive running to man the weapons consoles with Qui-Gon close behind as Rhayna sent the ship into a steep banking evasive trajectory in order to keep the forward shields and weapons facing the unidentified ship that had fired on them.

"Who are they?" Durgan asked and he powered weapons and prepared to return fire.

"Privateer or well disguised Trade Federation transport. They came out of hyperspace shortly after we did. Far enough back to not be within scanner range. Very suspicious." Rhayna stated matter-of-factly.

"Well let?s see if they know who we are." Durgan said as he fired a standard spread of plasma beams in a pattern common to Nafieri defensive tactics.

The privateer reacted sluggishly and was caught aft by the last beam in the pattern. That told Durgan just what he needed to know. Their enemy had no knowledge of Nafieri tactics, which could only mean that they were not a privateer and had to be following them for other reasons.

Durgan sensing Qui-gon's urge to respond to the threat and having no means to do so, requested his assistance. He had no true need of it but Qui-gon needed to become part of their team, he needed to be included in their defense, not just defended.
    "Qui-Gon what do you feel? Anything? That's not a privateer out there. I feel a Jedi presence. Is it anyone you recognize?"

"Darii? I don't know her. Obi-Wan mentioned her. But she seems to know me. She knows I'm here, but why would she fire on us?" Qui-Gon asked of himself as well as the others.

"Because they know you're still a threat, Qui-Gon. Apparently someone did not check back in at the appointed time and his masters have come looking for him!" Rhayna offered flatly.

"Rhayna, set coordinates for Naboo and jump now. Let's see if they follow us. Qui-Gon, let them feel you but give them nothing else." Durgan shouted as he and Lohane continued to lay down known defensive firing patterns so as to avoid appearing as anything other that nervous Nafieri, defending their cargo.

It was vital that they react as any Nafieri craft would until they knew who they were dealing with and why they were being fired upon. Qui-Gon could feel another presence as well. It was Durgan subtlety projecting Nakai. Who ever was seeking them out would now know that there was a second Jedi onboard the Nafieri craft. Durgan' s purpose was twofold. If they knew Nakai they would have to reconsider their reason for attacking. If they did not know Nakai then they would most likely break off and flee in an attempt to keep their identity from being discovered.

After they had jumped Durgan took Qui-Gon aside. "You will need to keep you feelings well shielded but not totally undetectable. Remember you have been wounded and poisoned. Project your presence as such in case they continue to follow us. As soon as I reach Ki-Adi and he agrees to our plan, you will pretend to die with Rhayna's help."

Qui-Gon looked quizzically at Rhayna. What would she have him do? How could he 'pretend' to give himself to the Force in such a way that other Jedi would believe it? He would question Rhayna on it.

Lohane continued to monitor the scanners but even at maximum range could detect no ship following them. He reached out with his mind and did detect that the ship that had fired upon them was now on a vector that would take it to Coruscan
  11. Niniel Jedi Padawan

Finally!
    I thought we deserved a new post.
  12. Misty the Pokemon trainer Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for your posts! I can't wait to see what else will happen.....
  13. Durga2000 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Keep up the good work!
  14. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    more coming... I promise! hopefully before midnight Singapore time....
  15. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    16/1 - Regret 

Qui-Gon silently followed Rhayna to their quarters. He turned to close the door behind him after he?d entered and realized there was no door to close. How had this escaped his notice before? He reprimanded himself again for not being more observant.

Rhayna was removing her tunics to use the steam. She sensed Qui-Gon?s frustration again and looked at him curiously.
    "Qui-Gon, why would a bonded bahar have need of doors?" Rhayna was truly mystified. "We'll not be disturbed unless it's necessary." She just looked at him for a moment, then shrugged and went to the steam.

"Well fine, now, she thinks I'm some kind of ascetic." Qui-Gon muttered to himself as he began to remove his tunics and wondered what other misconceptions he could inadvertently create about himself. He thought again about the Jedi on the ship that had fired on them. Was Darii behind the attack or just an observer on the ship? He?d not been able to feel the intent behind the attack. It troubled him, but he put it from his mind. He had other thoughts that could no longer be ignored. He sat to try  and meditate while he waited for Rhayna to return from the steam.

Rhayna emerged from the steam drying her hair and stood just behind him and watched as he sat motionless. He was calm now and no longer resisting impulses that he had been feeling since they had spared in the cargo hold. Something would have to be done about them and soon. He felt her thoughts and allowed his thoughts to be felt as well.

Rhayna knelt behind him and gently released his braid. She kissed his shoulder and said, "First steam, then questions and perhaps answers."

Qui-Gon closed his eyes briefly, took a deep breath. He could not remember feeling this aroused since he had been a much younger man .  Either he was becoming deeply attracted to this woman or Lohane was getting better with his ministrations. He would have to mention it to him so that he didn?t over do it next time. Something was different about Rhayna too, but he couldn't concentrate enough to put a name to it. He went to the steam  and when he returned the cabin lights were dimmed and Rhayna was sitting on the sleep couch softly playing her flute waiting for him.

He had never really noticed her before, not that she was not striking but that he had not allowed himself the luxury of just appreciating her appearance. Of course the tunics had made that her appear much as any Nafieri would but with out them she was very distracting in her femaleness. Her hair, longer that his, was a warm shining brown, like the color of long polished herry wood in lamp light. He sat on the edge of the sleep couch and put his face to her hair and inhaled the fragrance of it.  He gently ran his fingers lightly down her back.  Rhayna put the flute aside.

"I have questions but they will have to wait." he said quietly into the hollow of her neck.

Darii stood behind the pilot of the small Trade Federation freighter and regarded him coldly.  " I issued no order to fire on them.  You were to  follow and monitor transmissions only."

"Master Darii, we were detected.  In order to appear as privateers we had to at lease appear to be interested in their cargo.  I do know my business.  The firing was regrettable but necessary, I assure you." 

"Perhaps, but you should not have proceeded without my order.  You will do better or you will find other employment.  Am I understood?  Where are they going?"

"They are returning to Naboo, Master Darii."

"Do not follow. Set course for Malastare.  Contact Chancellor Palptine on a secure channel and inform him of our destination. "

"Yes, Master Darii.  I will inform my superiors of your dissatisfaction.   I will be reprimanded appropriately," the Neimoidian bowed his head as he spoke.

"Useless cowards " she thought to her self.  It was of no further consequence now, the damage was done.  It was time now to determine just what this new information meant.  The Nafieri had clearly changed course contrary to the filed plan and what was a second Jedi doing on board?  Who was this
  16. Niniel Jedi Padawan

Up! And more soon please!
  17. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    Sorry--been off recently. WOW WOW WOW!!!! Hurray!!!! Qui Gon's a DADDY!!!! And she's not happy!!

Two episodes for me at once!!!!! Can we have another please? hee hee hee!
  18. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    17/1

Durgan as Nakai had been gone from the main ship for several standard hours now. Lohane had been waiting for his message that would set the next chain of events into motion. Xanatos was still under an imposed sleep and would be awakened when the signal came.

Rhayna and Qui-Gon slept peacefully perhaps for the first time in days.

There was no further sign of the mystery ship that had attacked them though Lohane kept looking, watching and waiting for Durgan.

Durgan had left a very solemn Ki Adi Mundi behind at the Theed Palace. He didn?t have far to walk to his transport and was not even out of sight of the palace when he felt he was being watched.

He stopped and reached out to his surroundings and felt no one that would present a threat. That could only mean one thing, there was a monitor droid somewhere tracking his movements.

Like the one they had discovered on Tatooine it was just a seeker. It would just record his movements but not do him any harm. But who would be controlling such a device here on Naboo? The ship with the party from Coruscant had already left hours ago. Well, there was one way to find out, he would let the droid follow him to his shuttle, then he would track it back to its owner.

He would send the a message to Lohane of Ki Adi?s approval of their plan and tell him he would be delayed while he sought out this newly interested party on Naboo.

He walked slowly but deliberately through the streets, being careful to take a different route than he had earlier. He stopped several times, pretending to get his bearings all the while keeping close notice of where the droid was. He even got adventurous enough to test misdirection on it to see if it was susceptible to the technique. It was. That meant it was not Sith technology but more standard surveillance equipment.

He took his communicator out and set it to relay through the shuttle.
    "Lohane, Ki Adi gives his approval. Have you any news of our supposed privateer?"

"No sign, they made it very plain that they were headed for Malastare so I doubt that?s where they went but I haven?t been able to track them further."

"I?m having a little game of targa right now with someone?s modified probe droid, so I may be a little longer than I?d planned. Is all well on board?"

"Yes, we?re ready. We?ll. be waiting for you at the coordinates set. Happy hunting! And Durgan win this time!"

"Mrrmmmph, When have I ever lost at targa? End transmission."

// Qui-Gon! //

Qui-Gon opened his eyes suddenly out of a sound sleep, instantly alert. It took him a moment to recall where he was. He took a deep breath remembering and feeling Rhayna next to him.

// Lohane? //

//Durgan has sent word that Ki Adi approves. We?re to go ahead with plans.//

Lohane leaned in the door to the cabin waiting permission to enter. Qui-Gon moved carefully so as to not disturb Rhayna and motioned to Lohane to enter as he rolled off the couch and joined Lohane sitting by the door.

Lohane had the familiar white cloth that Qui-Gon knew to be the chantuada the Lohane had given him earlier.

"Again?" he whispered to Lohane.

"Qui-Gon, we can?t afford to not make an ?impression? this time. Rhayna has no need but you? well, do you trust yourself that much? This will take a lot of energy."

"Forgive me Lohane, but Rhayna and I didn?t really", Qui-Gon hesitated looking some what disconcerted, "clearly discuss what it is I?m to do. Could you be more specific?"

Lohane looked slightly startled at this admission.
    "Oh? I thought she? d have told you by now." Lohane said looking away for a moment and thinking. "How about if I show you."

Qui-Gon just shrugged and nodded his head affirmatively, waiting.

"When Nakai returns, first, I have to wake Xanatos. He has to feel your passing in order to believe you?re dead. Remember we?ll not have your body as proof, so the echo of your Force signature must be totally convincing. Then you're to broadcast as strongly as possible. Rhayna will amplify and correct the nature of your signature to produce the desired result."

Loha
  19. Jaro Jedi Knight

star 1
    I hadn't read this in a while - I apologize!

Excellent job, Rhui!
  20. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!! Still wondering what the 3's ultimate goal really is. Great story!!
  21. Niniel Jedi Padawan

Post post post post post.
    A friend of mine has come to like this story very much, but she's too much of a coward to admit it here... redface.gif
  22. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm hoping you're off on vacation writing more of the story? yes?
  23. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Vacation- No Writing-? Yes...but slowly...

Whose afraid to post on this thread!!??
    Don't be silly! Jump right in! I'm my own worst critic so there is nothing fear! right?

Keep kicking me Jaro, Eowyn and company!
  24. Rhui Chatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    19 - Circles
    The two Nafieri traders went into the purser's suite.

"My name is Naf Lohane. I wish to settle an account for the transport of Master Kir-Den Nakai and arrange for his transport costs to Kylize."

The clerk bowed and went to retrieve the proper information. Lohane looked back over his shoulder to Qui-Gon who was overly alert given that he should have been standing at ease for this part of the mission.

// Relax, this is the easy part. //

// Easy for you, I?m still getting used to being Nafieri. Have them call Obi-Wan. I want to know if he's been summoned to the council for the announcement of my demise or if they don?t trust him to even to know the details of that! //

Lohane turned back to the clerk as he returned and asked, "Master Nakai has purchased merchandise for an Obi-Wan Kenobi. Will he take delivery now?"

"I will send a message to Knight Kenobi. If you would follow me."

Lohane inclined his head in agreement.

"Please wait here for Knight Kenobi's response and the transport documents to be drawn up."

They entered a small room off a corridor to the left. It was windowless and bare with simple furniture consisting of benches of various widths along the walls and a low table in the center. The clerk bowed and left them.  They both sat down to wait, Qui-Gon wishing to be just about anywhere in the temple but here.  Qui-Gon followed Lohane's lead and didn't uncover his face. They didn?t have long to wait.

The clerk returned with comp pads and Obi-Wan's response.

"Knight Kenobi will be here shortly.  Your documents are ready.  You may review them and acknowledge.  Please use the facilities to refresh yourselves." He bowed again and left them.

"So what will you say to him"  Lohane asked casually as he got up to help himself to some water.

Qui-Gon just held up his hand for silence as he scanned for surveillance devices.    He had had many meetings in rooms like these and knew well how to conceal listening devices. 
    Lohane just stood sipping his water under his veil as he watched him continue to scan the room.  Qui-Gon reached up under the cabinet of the service console and removed a small listening device and held it out for Lohane to see.

"Yes, I deactivated when we entered.  You didn't feel me do it?  I must be getting better at this," Lohane chuckled.

"My attention was else where," Qui-Gon replied shortly.

"It shouldn't have been." Lohane returned just as shortly.  Then shaking his head, " Rhayna was right, you do have to tell him so you can concentrate on the business at hand."

Obi-Wan Kenobi was not in his quarters. He was watching the procession of Knights with their prisoner make their way to the council chambers. Anakin at his side was as usual full of questions.

"Master, what's happening?"

"They've captured a criminal who was once a Jedi, Anakin.  He is being brought before the council for justice."

"Why isn't he a Jedi anymore?"

"He failed his trials and then became seduced by the dark side.  He broke the code and caused much pain to the innocent.  He is responsible for Qui-Gon's death, Anakin." Obi-Wan replied sadly.

Anakin now looked at the man coldly as he passed.  He wanted to strike him, to hurt him somehow.  Obi-Wan knelt down next to him feeling his rage and anger.

"No Anakin, that will serve nothing.  He must be stopped so that he won't hurt anyone again but not out of anger or revenge.  You must never strike out for those reasons or you will become what you direct your anger at.  Do you understand?"

"I think so... but I don't like him." Anakin said tentatively.

"Anakin, you must look at him as neither good nor bad, but just a man.    This is very hard to do but it's very important.  You must acknowledge your feelings, examine why you have them and then let them go." Obi-Wan paused and looked hard at the boy to see if he was comprehending any of this.  This had been one of his own hardest lessons to learn and he feared he was still learning it.

Obi-Wan stood and watched again. He had is own questions that needed asking too. Why had he not been summoned
  25. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    Yiippeeeee! More Story!!!!! I've copied--I'll go read off line---I'll be back later!!!! Thanks Rhui!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.