main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Vol 2. #18: Empire of One, part 3 (of 3) - The Final Dark Horse Star Wars Comic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 31, 2014.

1. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    What happened? Please someone tell me.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The issue felt rushed and underwhelming, but honestly I cannot fault Dark Horse on this. It is hard to rush an ending for a series. Too many loose ends, too much rushing to clear up a few core ones, etc.

I guess I just feel sad that my last experience with a Dark Horse Star Wars comic was like this. Again, not their fault in the least, but still a bummer. :(

Instead, I will choose to remember the glory days. The excitement of rushing to my LCS to get the latest issue of Legacy. The wonder about the future of the galaxy. Yes, the EU in now not canon, but the fun & fond memories I will have forever!

Sure, they are called Legends now, but by God, Dark Horse made them LEGENDARY! :D

--Adm. Nick

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh gods the cameo in this one is glorious! Great series and without doubt one of the best of Dark Horse, you can tell it was somewhat rushed, but it is still glorious.

AusStig likes this.
  4. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Can someone please tell me what happened???

5. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

The knights won the battle and the dialogue was set so you know these are all of the One Sith. Draco gets injured, Ania blows up a ship, Darth Wredd goes into berserker mode and kills many One Sith. The Empire wins the battle but Darth Wredd attempts to kill the Empress, Jao corners him cust both of his hands; Wredd mentions he did it so the last Sith gets killed, but Jao cannot manage to do it, so Ania blasts him with a huge gun. The Empress survives, Yalta Val decides to remain into teaching, The Empress offers an official job to Ania but she declines. Jao is pardoned but resigns the Knights to become something else... we think a Jedi but no, he just joins Ania's gang and Sauk buys some overpriced thingy from Jariah while Cade and Delilah take the money to get high.

Both Jedi and Sith seem to be extinct and everyone's happier.

I think it was great. It did indeed felt rushed (would Giant-sizing have killed them??) especially during the, supposedly, most important and epic battle of recent times but I'll just pretend that someone stole 6 pages from the middle of my issue. The cameo was MEH.

Yalta Val seems to be a shapeshifter because he looks completely different every time!

But as for what happens (as opposed to how it was handled), I felt it like a nice conclusion. No, really. I just absolutely loved the story and characters of this series, the art, not so much.

6. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Thank you

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The issue sounds fun, can't wait to read it. :)

It's nice that Dark Horse have finished the way they began all that time ago with Dark Empire. Speaking of...
    ...for what's been forced to be a rushed conclusion, that is fittingly nostalgic of Empire's End. [face_laugh]

8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I can only repeat what others said: it's certainly a rushed issue and ending, but considering the circumstances I can understand why. As a matter of fact, it's a very entertaining issue, one of the best in Legacy V2! If you expect the issue to be rushed, it's a very satisfying ending to the series.

Loved the Cade, Deliah and Jariah's cameos at the end! The last panel makes me want more stories with Ania and the gang :( Too bad we probably won't ever get them, that panel is such a tease...

Oh, and a question

Why does the Empress have a green lightsaber? In the last arc she had a silver/white, and in this issue she uses a green one?

Thanks Dark Horse, I'll definitely miss you!

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks guys, means I can look forward to the final trade.

10. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    That was definitely a cool cameo, but I got my hopes up for someone else instead.

I suppose they wanted to leave it on a high note, but I really would have preferred to see Nihl and Talon instead of Cade and the gang. The comic really leaves it as though the Sith have been completely wiped out, and the Jedi aren't even mentioned. Darth Wredd's plan makes some sense, but it really could have used a few more issues to flesh him out and make the idea feel more organic. As it is, we get some long exposition about Wredd wanting to wipe out the Sith, even himself, and blah blah blah. I think that this exposition wouldn't have been as needed with a few more issues to beef up this plot.

It's already been mentioned, but why don't the Imperial Knights have silver lightsaber blades? That's their schtick. Hopefully that will be corrected in the TPB. Also, just as in Dawn of the Jedi, people are taking lightsaber blades through the torso and coming out unscathed. Man, Qui-Gon really was just a huge wimp, huh?

Overall, I didn't think it felt as rushed as Star Wars #107 and Empire's End #2. I actually thought it felt more like Republic #80, where we get brief scenes with the Jedi we followed and it shows Dass Jennir continuing the fight. This issue felt a lot like that with some closure for our characters and a sense of excitement about future tales that could be told. Definitely bittersweet.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Oh, I forgot to mention (probably) the coolest thing in this issue:

Master Thared, trandoshan Imperial Knight. As a reptile fan I love the concept for him. Too bad that's the first and last time we see him. Sigh...

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Woah!

YoungBossk likes this.
  13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I love seeing a Trandoshan Imperial Knight. First Trandoshan stormtroopers, now a Trandoshan IK, I love things like that. I honestly can't remember if we ever saw a non-human IK, all the major ones were humans. The Jedi had a bit more variety, but when was the last time we saw a Jedi in this comic?

I liked the cameo, and I agree the issue was rushed, but oh well, arguably its better to wrap things up. It doesn't really make the most sense, but I prefer a somewhat-complete ending compared to ignoring major unknown threats (for instance Crucible).

Looks like Cade and his friends went right back to pirating. Oh well, that's what he always wanted so leave him be. Not a passing of the torch, but nice to get one last appearance from the original poster boy of the Legacy era.

Also liked how Ania could just shoot Wredd without any of the "oh, you'll go to the darkside if you do!" pontificating. It gets a bit tiresome by now. Another reason I love having a non-Force sensitive protagonist (and a worthy successor to Han Solo). Tad convoluted that Wredd wanted them to kill him rather than just kill himself, but at least he really did want all Sith, including himself, dead. And that Jao held back at the last moment, glad they didn't have him waver too much. Its not a perfect end, would have loved another few dozen issues, but one of the better possible endings given the circumstances, so I'm happy. Wouldn't have minded seeing more characters like an actual Jedi or Stazi again, but Stazi had his spotlight during the Dac arc so I'm mostly happy with this series. Still sad about it all ending though.

YoungBossk, Barriss_Coffee and spicer like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The issue was a little rushed, but IMO, it didn't feel overtly so in a way that detracted from the series (we've certainly had a tremendous number of other stories wrap up in a poorer rushed fashion) - especially since the issues leading up to this issue were pretty solid. In the end I think it did a very good job of wrapping things up in broader strokes while still giving the characters some moments to shine and throwing in a cameo or two to bring things full circle.

Thanks to Dark Horse and all those artists, writers and editors that helped make the Expanded Universe such a fantastic thing to experience and feel a part of it within the fandom- you guys and gals did right by us and it will be appreciated and remembered.

And I just might have to keep tabs on the Legacy Vol 2 creative team's future work...

15. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Ah yes! Are there more? I don't recall any other non-human

And I loved the last panel. This gang could have so many more adventures on so many genres

and they apparently did.

I also loved Jao keeping the medical droid. His very own R2 :D

YoungBossk and spicer like this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, right up to the end there was a letter from Lars Meyer. He's the one constant of Legacy. :p

Yeah, the battle was over way too quickly, but I liked that we got some room for good character moments, mostly from Ania. And I absolutely loved the final panel. Perfect way to end not just Ania's story, but the entire EU. Bravo, Corinna and Gabriel, and indeed Dark Horse. =D=

17. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Well, judging from from the incredibly condensed oral plot exposition dumped on almost every page, looks like they had a great, epic story to tell here. Sad it had to end this way. It'll do as an ending although I didn't care for the Coda :p They went for the "Sopranos" ending LOL. Thies' art and layout improved greatly over his last issues. Not sure what else to say. I keep flashing on that day in 1991 when I saw Dark Empire #1 at the comic shop; the shop was about five minutes from closing and I was literally thinking, "Wish there were still SW comics . . ." I did a double take and grabbed it like it was a stack of thousand dollar bills and went straight home and read it cover to cover twice in a row. It's still sinking in that it's all over . . . fare thee well, Dark Horse Star Wars! We'll always have TOR, Legacy, TCW . . .

[face_sigh]

AusStig likes this.
  18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well that's the end of Legacy. I was actually thinking of buying this issue, just to see how it ends. But after hearing the comments from everyone here, it seems like an incredibly lame ending and a total waste of money. For the final Star Wars comic from Dark Horse it sounds extremely underwhelming.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't call it lame, it's just you have a large battle with a lot of events compressed to a about half of the issue. The second half, post-battle, of the issue has more room to breathe.

Sinrebirth and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wouldn't call it the Sopranos ending... though I've never watched the show, but its not like you wonder if the characters survive the final page. More like a "The Adventures continue" ending, which I'm fine with. Its true to Ania's character, though if they had had more time to develop her, would love to hear what other plans they might have had for Ania, but oh well, it ended on a good note, so I'm happy. Rushed, probably, but yeah, wouldn't call it lame. glad they stuck with Ania as the main character, though too bad we never learned more about AG-37.

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Welp, this incarnation of the galaxy can finally rest and will no longer have its war and suffering prolonged by sadistic writers for the sake of our entertainment.

DING DONG THE WICKED SITH ARE DEAD

22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That IK was a Barabel, not a Trandoshan.

Mixed feelings on this issue. The battle was over way too quickly, and there was no real storytelling to it. No sense of its progression at all, or exactly how the good guys won it --- it was just lightsabers clashing, a big explosion from Ania, and then a couple of pages later Sia was like "The day sees us victorious." The heavy-handed exposition after the battle was too forced and dramatic --- this is an actual quote from Yalta Val: "The are all dead, Empress. The Sith are gone from the galaxy. It's... it's the end of history." Really? Is Nihl really so idiotic of a leader that he would send every single Sith in hiding against Darth Wredd? That's a huuuuge stretch of the imagination. It also implies that Nihl, Talon, Havok, and Saarai are all dead. They were much too important characters to go down off-page. Draco and Havok on the same battlefield but no confrontation? I'm not saying that those Sith characters should have received huge roles in this issue; I'm saying that the "Every single Sith in the galaxy is dead" line is a ridiculous one. John & Jan created too complex of a galaxy for every single loose thread to be wrapped up by a single battle, and the end of the EU doesn't necessitate every bad guy being dead.

And why would the Imperial Knights radically change their most basic principle just because the Sith are gone? They were created decades before the Sith even came out of hiding. Their fealty to the Empress/Emperor was never about the Sith. That was a pretty stupid line to be randomly added to the issue.

There were some cool things, though. Ania shooting Wredd was pretty great. "Done and done." I also loved Sia's followup to Yalta's "This is the end of history" line --- "Oh, I don't know. History has a way of... continuing." A pretty clever reference to the end of the EU and the beginning of the new EU. Wredd's story concluded nicely --- he really did remember what he hated instead of becoming what he hated. But like Nobody said --- why couldn't he just kill himself? Why did he have to recruit Jao to do it? Why would he risk turning Jao dark if he really and truly wanted to wipe out the Sith? Dude, just stick the lightsaber into your chest and be done with it. And if wiping out the Sith was really just the extent of his plan, then really, what was the point of all that evil crap he did in the first story arc?

And why is Cade still a pirate? Does his "I am a Jedi" line from the end of Legacy: War mean nothing?

Edit: OK, I guess the point of all the evil crap from the first arc was to get the Triumvirate on his tail so that they would send Imperial Knights to get him on the floating world in Issue 17 and then the IKs could kill all the Sith. But still --- why try to corrupt Jao and risk creating another Sith? Just chop your own head off, man.

To be honest, issues six to ten of this series were the only really great ones. The rest were average and sometimes downright bad. Oh well. At least the series had the communications droid. He was cool.

23. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Can't believe it's over. Sigh. Still, despite a rushed ending that as everyone said was not Dark Horse's fault, I think they did a good job. Sure all the Sith being dead is silly but I doubt the IK's actually bothered to ID all the bodies, it was just something said in the excitement of the victory. I still Nihl is sitting somewhere, drinking ale and face-palming because he ordered the others to ignore Wredd.

Zorrixor likes this.
  24. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I liked it. The ending may have been a bit 'abridged' but that was not their fault, it is still a better ending then Legacy:War by FARRRR.

I doubt all the Sith are dead, but it is the end of the EU so they might as well get a final ending.

I also enjoyed the cameos, non speaking is the best way to use those characters, in my opinion.

It left me feeling positive, that the Galaxy will be all right and that these guys will keep have crazy, fun adventures.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I liked the "the end of history" line, actually- and it's response pointed out above. The idea of all the Sith converging is a bit weak but after you accept it as the premise it works\ enough to facilitate an abbreviated wrap-up. But I think there's wiggle room for some individuals to have survived since we didn't see any of the key One Sith survivors from War.

spicer, Revanfan1, Nobody145 and 2 others like this.