main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Vol 2. #18: Empire of One, part 3 (of 3) - The Final Dark Horse Star Wars Comic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 31, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This must be retweeted far and wide.

That's a bit of an unfair characterization- Filoni didn't choose to end TCW, that was out of his hands and as much a result of the Disney acquisition as DHC losing the comic license to Marvel.

The only difference is the vastly greater production turn around time and cost for TV animation versus a comic book. It's much harder to get an extra episode (or severl episodes) produced compared to a few extra comic book issues,

Darth Pipes and G Hardman like this.
  2. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

Anything you do is of interest to me! I love your work. Legacy II really captured the magic of the Al Williams daily strip for me! I'll definitely look into Invisible Republic. Cheers! Maybe you'll do SW for Marvel one day.

G Hardman likes this.
  3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Seriously?

Come on, man. Just... come on.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Does the entire galaxy assume Cade is dead or MIA after "War"? The only person who might know otherwise is Morrigan.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well maybe not necessarily a Jedi mission but there's no reason to assume its pirate or drug related either.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    G Hardman, thank for the excellent series, Legacy Volume II was an excellent work, and my only regret is that it didn't have more time to flourish. Nice to hear that there were plans for the Jedi, we noticed their absence but its understandable that the series focused on Ania more given the limited time. Its too bad the series had less than 2 years, but I'm glad we got at least part of the story and a conclusion. A rushed conclusion, but still a half-decent one, which is enough given the end of the old EU. I'm glad Legacy II had the chance to close the door on the old EU, it went out on a good note. AG-37 was especially a favorite character.

As for Cade... well, he killed Krayt, guess he somewhat deserves a vacation. I didn't care about Cade that much, and while he wasn't a great person as a pirate, he didn't quite hit rock bottom most of the time. I just felt sorry and annoyed more than anything else that destiny/Luke's Force ghost just kept saying Cade had to be the one to defeat Krayt. With Krayt dead, good riddance to Cade, I'd rather get more Stazi issues, which Volume II delivered on, another strong point. Though it does somewhat clash with him finally calling himself a Jedi, but oh well, not like he had many Jedi friends left to pull him back either. Not like Cade ever contributed to the Jedi rebuilding or the galactic rebuilding much anyway.

G Hardman likes this.
  7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    G Hardman, I also wish to express my thanks for the excellent stories that have told in Legacy 2. I really enjoyed the adventures of Ania and her 'merry men (and droids)' and so egaerly look forward to your next work.

G Hardman likes this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    G Hardman A big thank you from me as well, i really wish we got more issues, but oh well...

And I am really curious about the backstory of AG-37, who immediately became one of my top 3 favorite droids in all of Star Wars, so if you can give us some details about his past it would be great :)

Thanks again for a fun series and great characters!

G Hardman likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's very sad to think we will likely never know how long AG-37 has been around for or what he's got up to.

10. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah, I definitely want his back story now, seems like an interesting droid.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think there's still hope that, one day, we'll get more Legends material, once the ST has run it's course or there ends up being a gap between releases. Something akin to the Infinities releases under DHC's run. It's jut going to be a long while, if it happens.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

I hope that will happen someday. There are things in the EU that are left unresolved/incomplete, and we EU fans deserve resolution for them. AG-37 is just one gap that needs to be closed IMO.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    On the plus side, it was never confirmed that he wasn't C-3PO.

Revanfan1, AusStig, Kylun and 4 others like this.
  14. G Hardman

G Hardman Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2014

He isn't C-3P0. ;)

GH

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You monster.

Revanfan1, Zer0 and G Hardman like this.
  16. YoungBossk

YoungBossk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2014

BEST. SERIES. EVER! Please could you confirm as there's been some debate on here, is Master Thared a Trandoshan or Barabel? Thanks! G Hardman

G Hardman and spicer like this.
  17. Gelious

Gelious Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2011
    I'll forever remember Legacy II as consisting of 16 awesome issues and 2 pretty... lame ones.

All Sith coming to same place where they can be easily ambushed to kill one rogue Sith? Lame.
    2 Force-users and a bunch of shooters surviving until Empress show up against a whole crowd of Force-users? Impossible. They would all be electrocuted, Force-choked or Force-crashed and cut to pieces in like 30 seconds.
    All named Sith who survived Legacy I killed off-screen and never mentioned? Disappointing.
    Ania Solo receiving a suggestion to be a guard for a force-user who already has personal guard consisting of force-users? Ridiculous.

Yes, I know old EU is finished and they just wanted to give the whole One Sith thing a proper final conclusion, I get it, really. But it was so lame even by comics standarts, I almost wish they left an open ending instead.

The worst part - 16 previous issues were absolutely awesome.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Guys, if we were meant to buy it 100% every time someone IU says "the Sith are extinct", the story would have ended at TPM. It's there in the issue for people who want to feel like they have closure, but by no means does it need to be treated as a definitive statement.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    The thing is, though, that closure would have come even without the unnecessary statement. The IKs wiped out hundreds of Sith --- that's closure enough. A heavy-handed "Just in case you missed it, the Sith are 100% extinct and history is OVER" statement is just overkill.

Yeah, for sure. An army of Sith that, working together, could use the Force to like move an entire moon or something, or send the biggest Force lightning bolt ever at their enemies, or any other number of grandiose Force attacks.... rush at their enemies with lightsabers drawn.

Blink. Blink.

The One Sith had alchemists, scientists, people skilled with telekinesis --- it was never a lightsabers-only club. Jedi forgetting they could use telekinesis was annoying enough in the Clone Wars cartoon; the Sith becoming extinct for the same reason is just sigh-inducing. If Nihl were for some reason dumb enough to send 100% of his Order into a single battle, there's no way that he would do so with a plan consisting of nothing more than "Use your lightsabers, guys!"

If you're reading this, Gabriel, sorry. I really did like Outcasts of the Broken Ring. And I thought that Ania was one of the EU's best protagonists ever. I wrote a lot about it here. But I wasn't crazy about the final eight issues. I think you guys are great writers and storytellers, though, and I would have loved to have seen what you could have done with enough time and space to do a proper ending. Thanks for keeping us entertained these last eighteen months.

20. G Hardman

G Hardman Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2014

Thanks! Barabel.

GH

21. G Hardman

G Hardman Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2014

You take subjective things characters say in the moment pretty literally, don't you? ;)

GH

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Welllll.... yes and no. I mean, it's a pretty moot point now since you've basically corrected me, but I read some authorial intent in the statement --- it seemed to me like you and Corinna inserted it as an assurance to the reader that there was a happy ending, similar to the "Krayt is dead forever and can never return" line from the end of the first Legacy. Of course Yalta Val couldn't know for sure if every Sith in the galaxy was dead, but I was looking at it from an out-of-universe perspective rather than an in-universe one. And from an OOU perspective, I found the line's inclusion to be overkill. Heck, I thought that wiping out the remnants of the Sith itself was overkill, but I've already elucidated that assertion enough. I don't want to break your balls here; like I said, there was a lot about this series that I really did like. The comm droid, for one! Cool guy. :D

23. G Hardman

G Hardman Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2014

You can take the line any way you want. After it's in print it's out of our hands and really not our problem. But Val was swept up in the moment and trying to reassure her. The Empress' response was the operative one. Characters can only speak to what they know. There is no "OOU" for characters.

GH

Nobody145 and Zorrixor like this.
  24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Exactly. Right after winning a football match, of course the striker was the best ever, and of course there is no team in the world to beat them, and of course nobody in history will ever be that good again.

I don't see what's unreasonable about characters celebrating right after winning a decisive victory; it's not like the Angel of the Force descended from the Netherworld and pronounced the Dark Side extinguished.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, it might be a different story if Marasiah, who's got a better vantage point on the galaxy, agreed with him, but her immediate response is basically "dude, don't be silly".

Everybody knows that's how Crucible ended.