main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Vol 2. #18: Empire of One, part 3 (of 3) - The Final Dark Horse Star Wars Comic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 31, 2014.

1. YoungBossk

YoungBossk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2014

Yeah UK :/ Got it pre-ordered with a UK comic book store but they still haven't had it in stock so I've had to order directly from DH..

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Go grab it then!

Ah, I'm Uk-based too, but this likely answer will irritate!

There is no difference between the DHC and Titan edition, Titan just stick a new barcode and whack the price up by a couple of quid! They also sometimes block acquisition of the DHC copy too! I've found Foyles and BD sometimes don't care and stock both!

BUT it was suspected a few months back that the print run for these final trades may be as high as their predecessors because DHC can't sell SW stock to booksellers after 31 Dec 2014. Therefore they will want to print and sell and consider it done. So that could also be at work here!

YoungBossk likes this.
  3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Just finished the last four issues in a row, it could have been better for sure - but I can get past the faults. I suspect the reasons for the poor ending were the same that Legacy has always had, they keep getting their knees chopped off mid story. If they actually had time to pace out a full story, instead of having to do a quick wrap, it likely would have read better.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's going to be one of the enduring mysteries of the EU-that-was isn't it? Why was Legacy axed at #50 in the way it was? That the same thing also happens to its successor only adds insult to injury.

Only axing KOTOR at the same time matches it for DHC's biggest screw-ups. They didn't have many but those two really blasted a hole in DHC's rep!

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So many different things they could have done for Legacy Vol. 1 but will never see. And Vol. 2.
    What would they have done for KOTOR comics? Go into the war? Do an arc involving Gryph?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I really loathed KOTOR War, didn't feel right - KOTOR worked best as an ensemble. Instead they split them up! :_|

With a more relaxed approach, we would have had more non-Cade Legacy stories! Everyone wanted those, right?

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't mind KOTOR: War but seriously? No Gryph? And no Jarael until the very end? For shame. The Mando Knights or whatever that group was, was interesting and I might have looked forward to seeing an extended arc with inclusion from Jarael and Gryph.
    Legacy would have gotten more Wyrlock, arcs for Deliah Blue and Jariah Syn, stuff for the Imperial Knights, other Sith, Morigan Corde, The Skulls, Gar Stazi and the Alliance, Hondo Karr, Ania Solo etc.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    KotOR's ending felt somewhat natural, as most of the major plot lines had been wrapped up. Would have loved more issues of course but felt natural enough. KotOR never quite reached the heights of the original Covenant storyline after Vindication. But yeah, War was much weaker, though I still liked it well enough.

Legacy was just sadly cut off, almost seemingly midstory. Doesn't help that the Tatooine arc felt like a waste of time with cancellation so close. But Cade could never compare to Zayne anyway. Almost everybody else in the comic was more interesting than Cade (except for that ridiculous and boring Talon).

Ania wasn't bad as lead, AG-37 was excellent as supporting, and at least volume 2 wasn't shy about killing Sith, unlike volume 1, heh. Probably too many at once, mostly just fodder, but I don't mind too much given the circumstances they were working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, it's not just me that's having problems then? I've had this on order from Amazon for months, and they keep failing to source it...

10. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    Legacy Vol. 2, meh, I couldn't really get into it. don't know if it was the - for me - lacking art, or just the story. maybe I've just missed Cade and the rest, but that run was strangely unsatisfying. but, really, so were the other final TBP in the DH run.

11. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Good God, Yes!!! Pre-ordered it months ago from Amazon UK, but it kept getting delayed, while the page claimed that it was "out of Stock". Finally had to cancel it, and order from Amazon.com. Same thing with the Tarkin novel (Amazon UK wiped that and another New EU novel from my pre-order list, for some strange reason)..

12. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I buy mine from bookdepository.co.uk and I've never had shipping problems with them. The only problem was one book which had the last 50 pages printed wrong (they were all folded weirdly and making it unreadable) but I sent a picture of the printing error and they shipped me another copy without problem.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I finally got it! Now just need some time to read it...

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    BD sometimes raise 2 fingers to any notion of only stocking the UK edition. I got my DHC copy via BD.

Talking of which the UK version of Legacy Volume II: Volume 4: Empire of One is scheduled for 29 November 2014!

This is despite the DHC US edition publishing 28 October 2014!

If you want to order that, Foyles look to be your best bet:
    £9.63
    http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/star-...,bechko-corinna-hardman-gabriel-9781616555535

UK version:
    http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/child...na-sarah-bechko-gabriel-hardman-9781783295180

15. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Alas, I've already ordered it from the main Amazon site and they've already sent me an Email:

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, yeah, that's been known to happen!

Still, at least you know you're going to get a copy! (And Foyles would have taken as long, they're not as quick but they're not Amazon either!)

17. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Yeah, thanks. I'll keep those links in mind for any and all New EU trades / books that take my interest.

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, these two were definitely some of the biggest black marks against DHC, especially the Legacy cancellation. KOTOR was bad enough, especially since the only reason given came from JJM who claimed it was because the story had reached the "natural end", and given what happened after, it's clear he was just falling on his sword to protect DH's higher-ups who forced it on him.

Legacy on the heels was just salt on the wound, especially given it was clear Ostrander and Duursema were not consulted on it and how Stradley's attempts to handle the reason were bad PR to begin with and then went bad (I remember one of the many reasons he gave was that it was the fans' faults for not buying more issues, despite Legacy then being DHC's highest Star Wars series and second-highest overall series behind Buffy).

Which leads us to...

At least Ostrander and Duursema used their miniseries wrap-up to the best possible advantage, closing up the series the best they could while also leaving it in a position to be continued on from.

KOTOR, on the other hand, suffered less from "premature ending syndrome" (probably a combination of JJM knowing more in advance, plus us knowing at least to a wide degree where the general story would go, into the games). And I think it's a real coup that, rushed or not, the actual KOTOR ending was pretty high quality and worked really well in tying pretty much everything and everyone up.

So therefore not only did KOTOR: War start off by being completely unnecessary at best and undermining at worst, it then took that disadvantage and added to it by splitting up the ensemble, a silly plot, characterization and tone and writing that didn't really match the original series...

I really, really hated KOTOR: War. It's not just bad in relation to how good KOTOR was, it's just bad period. However truncated it was, the Legacy II ending was absolutely better in every way than KOTOR War, IMO.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It'll work a bit different for new EU as it's Marvel. However... UK posters have a potential option our US cousins can't access so easily. (Well, not as cheaply!)

Panini have a licence, somehow, to issue Marvel trades but they tend to focus on the top tier titles so Avengers, X-Men etc. If the SW comics are deemed to sell enough they could qualify for inclusion in Panini's progamme.

The significance of this is that Panini trades:
    • Are generally issued in paperback.
    • Have thicker paper than Marvel's trades
    • Are issued more quickly, often ahead of the Marvel hardback
    • With a cheaper RRP too!
    Likely won't know for certain if we'll have this option by May-June next year I think, but worth remembering.

20. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Ok, will keep that in mind. Thanks!!!

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

21. YoungBossk

Aug 30, 2014
    Finally just got a copy I pre-ordered from a UK site months ago and forgot to cancel because I eneded up getting the US version shipped before hand and was just wondering if somebody could tell me the difference because I can't notice a thing!

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's because there is none! All Titan ever did with the 'UK editions' is slap a Titan barcode and price over the DH one!

YoungBossk likes this.
  23. srd5090

srd5090 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2012
    I think this series was pretty good all things considered. It took the best things from the first volume of Legacy (Imperial Knights, etc.) and managed to rectify the worst parts (One Sith).

We got to see some great IK action while also seeing the transition of them into potentially being more light-side oriented. It's a shame the Jedi didn't really have a role in the destruction of the One Sith but it was good to see that Sith Order get the boot stomp.

The One Sith were a pretty stupid sith order of Maul-wannabes led by a leader who merely rode the coat-tails of others and was a Clone Wars era shoehorn (like K'Kruhk but that's a whole other topic). So they all get led into a trap and most of them die out? Seems about par for the course. Bright red skinned individuals with tattoos can't hide in governments easily anyway. Even assuming Nihl and Talon were not involved in the final battle and never die off screen, they no longer have an order to command. If people want their "edgy" Sith to survive for one last adventure in their mind, fine by me. In my head, the One Sith are gone. Nihl got shot in the face and Talon cut in twain.

Ania Solo will be sorely missed. It's a shame Disney screwed us out of more stories with her. Overall, because of the changing of the rights, the entire story got boiled down and rushed, but considering that was outside of the writer's control, it still manages to be a decent ending for the Star Wars Legends Continuity. I'm a little concerned about there being an Empress and a majority of the galaxy still belonging to an Empire (though a subset of the Federation) but it's not so bad.

Honestly, the end of the timeline is a pretty perfect time to run a Star Wars RPG campaign. There are the cool Imperial Knights, an Empire, a Republic stand-in in the form of the Galactic Alliance faction of the Federation, Jedi, potentially Sith survivors in hiding, scum and villainy sorts like smugglers, etc. And the future is wide open.

24. YoungBossk

Aug 30, 2014
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Ben likes this.