main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Vol 2. #5: Prisoner of the Floating World, part 5 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't know, that sounds pretty ridiculous.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Huh, now that's a crazy and interesting theory. Hm, probably not, but at least that would mean we would get to see Legacy-era Threepio at last.

And I bought a digital copy as I'm really liking this series. Dark Horse's digital site usually updates around midnight or 1AM Pacific time, so its somewhat convenient.

Stazi shows up in a Triumvirate scene but nothing else unfortunately. The first issue's Triumvirate scene is still the only one that really showed the other Triumvirate members. I'd like to see them more too, but this is Ania's story mostly at the moment.

Ah, Legacy-era Rogue Squadron was so awesome. Compared to LotF where it was old Rogues vs. new Rogues in a real battle (and wasn't mentioned ever again), that should be how Rogue Squadron is portrayed. No sign they'll appear in Volume 2 (aside from Marasiah, most of the Triumvirate are still only recurring characters, much less the rest of the GA Remnant), but I'm still holding out hope.

3. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    I have really enjoyed this arc. Good characters, good chemistry, good action, good art, good twists---really excited to see where we go from here.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked the conclusion a lot, especially that last line from Sia. I'm beginning to think she may be the character Ania meets in the next arc. Nice that Darth Wredd survived to further antagonise our heroes.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Great ending to this arc. So far Legacy 2 is great. Waiting for the next issue!

6. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Darth Dredd (yeah I know it's Wredd) was pretty cool, definite ramping up of the story in this one, thats more like it.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm hoping that the character she meets is Treis Sinde. He can show up, shout, "So you wanted to kill an Imperial Knight, did you?" punch Wredd unconscious, and then kick him in the balls on live space-TV while announcing, "Don't worry, space public, I found out who could stop him."

Because, really, that makes the most sense as an institutional response to me.

spicer and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I enjoyed this final issue. I still think there are some problems with the opening arc but I do think taken as a whole, the conclusion ties some of those up. It's funny how someone in one of the earlier threads was comparing Darth Dredd to Bane from TDKR, because his big speech scene here actually made me immediately think of the Joker's videotaped threats from TDK.

I'm still hoping that as the series goes on, its connection to the wider Star Wars universe will grow stronger (so far, the Han Solo reference is the first and sole reference to continuity outside the original Legacy run) and that its pacing issues will be fixed, but I have a good feeling going forward from here, and this issue really did help turn me from ambivalent to somewhat hopeful for the series. From the hints and brief previews we've gotten, I'm really looking forward to the next arc.

Two final thoughts:

1) Interesting how Ania's fighter seems to share the same vertical/horizontal wing orientation as the Crossfire fighter. Guess it must be common in this era. For what it's worth, I never really liked the Crossfire design, but Ania's ship makes it work, I think.

2) The preview pages for The Star Wars at the end are getting me really pumped for that one!

9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    U see being nice to droids pay off

10. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Haha I know, he seems to imply that he knew Han Solo because he "lived the history." Though he could just have known him as Han Solo, Galactic celebrity and hero, my mind immediately went to the possibility that he had crossed the smugglers path as someone very familiar to us.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If that droid is Bollux and/or Blue Max in a new shell, I will dance a silly dance all around my apartment.

12. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Thoughts:

1. Empress Sia, meet your cousin born on the wrong side of the tracks.

2. How does that IK survive in space without instant decompression (and no, a oxygen mask provided by the probe won't help)

3. How can Ania get any blame for the relay's destruction when the hairy Governess knew the IK impostor had remote control of it?

4. That crosswinged ship would be lousy if you needed to get thru a tight spot.

5. Darth Wredd? Aren't Darth names supposed to tie in to something menacing?

6. Darth Wredd wants to be the only Sith? Gets half his face torched by an IK. Will get sliced up by Draco.

7. Looking forward to more issues. New artist going forward, which I think will help.

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    2. This is Star Wars, where sound can travel in a vacuum and the Force can offer all sorts of protection that a spacesuit can't.

5. As others have noted, he clearly took inspiration from Judge Dredd. Menacing enough for ya? ;)

7. I've liked the art so far, but I wouldn't mind a change.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Darth Wredd = Judge Dredd, but named by Walter the Wobot!

If only it could have been Darth Dredd!

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Force

She is still a locally wanted criminal.

Might not be Basic.

16. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Actually a mask is all you may need, when you die in space it is because there is no oxygen, like drowning, so this is not an issue.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    They know Ania was involved but hard to tell if she'll get any of the blame. The whole debacle is mostly unclear- the governor set Jao free but as far as most people know, they saw her shooting here and there. And she and her friends did kill at least a few guards. I hope she doesn't get too much of the blame, as she is with two IKs right now too, but you never know how politics will work out, although usually it isn't as bad as in other corners of the EU.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Solid end to the first arc. It definitely picked up to the degree I was hoping for. Seeing the Triumvirate, even briefly, is a nice reminder of the larger galaxy at play. I think this next arc will really help cement the series. Familar settings and familiar characters will help bring the overall "feel" of the era back to the right place. I still think one of the biggest issues the series didn't gel right away was the new planet and new species. I am all for expanding the universe, but to do so for the first arc did mean that it didn't have as many familiar trappings as we are usually accustomed to.

--Adm. Nick

19. family_business

family_business Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2006
    Kind of a stupid question, but wouldn't Ania Solo have force potential being a descendant of Leia?

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If there's a time to break with the idea of the Force being in families, now would be it.

Doesn't mean it's gone forever, just that it shows up in erratic patterns across generations.

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This is way wrong. There is a host of physiological issues caused by direct exposure to vacuum, like your blood beginning to boil due to the pressure differential and it being extremely hard to breath even with an oxygen mask, as happens to pilots who have to breathe through masks even at simply high altitude. Then there's stuff like ebullism, embolism, bruising of skin as blood seeps through, frost forming on the skin from moisture/fluid leakage, and ruptured eardrums and sinuses.

22. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow, what can I say except, "Yeah, this is how it's done!" I only hope E7 is this good! Characters you care about who bring the story "home" to everything SW is about, thrills and chases and excitement -- this is SW! AG-37's monologue about Han Solo was just perfect. Lots of little mysteries still to be elaborated on; big, exciting action sequences, and a huge "reveal". And it really reminds me of the Goodwin/Williamson daily strip, from the pacing to the "look" to the instantly accessible characters.

As for Jao's "space walk", the bottom line is: since no one has ever died of exposure in outer space we really don't know just what would happen. The latest theory is that you'd asphyxiate and freeze real fast. Don't forget, Jao has "the Force as his ally" plus: it's just a funnybook, kids, a space-opera, not a hard sf excursion. I extend it the same suspension of disbelief I do when I hear roaring spaceship engines in the vacuum of space in the movies. ;)

spicer likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh -- I liked the ending panel with the Empress wondering who the hell Ania Solo was. Goes together well with what Ania said in #4 I think, about how she's not royalty. Perhaps not, but if she could reunite with her family she might have a chance of assuming her proper station. She suggests great deeds belong to history, but she's made her fair start.

I dislike the droid telling her that even smugglers and criminals can be great, though. She should try to emulate royalty instead. :p

24. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The other great thing about this issue is that they printed my letter [face_dancing]

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Not all children from Force Sensitive Beings are also born with the ability to use the force, it is apparently more likely, but by no means certain.