main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Legal advice? [totally OT]

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by chibiangi, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Sorry Matt, but I want to bounce this off of some people.

I bought a new car a few months ago and I haven't sold my old car yet. I was driving the old car, but the past two weeks I have been driving the new one because it is so hot and all of this has just escalated.

Anyway, I have to park the old one on the street. Unfortunately, the homeowners think they own the street and keep calling me leaving nasty messages on my answering service. One message was even from a "cop" who threatened to tow my car (I think it was the owner impersonating a cop.) My friend told me it might be because of the for sale sign, so I took that down and it has been down for the past almost two weeks. I just drove by and saw that some one had written "Move [...]" (couldn't make out the rest, I'm going to check it later today or tomorrow when I'm feeling better) in the dust on the back window (this is the first time in months my car has dust on it, it is usually spotless.) This is of major annoyance to me because I am wondering if they're doing other stuff to my car when I'm not around.

Now, I need to know, is it illegal to park on a public street? There are no required parking permits and aside from street cleaning, there are no posted restrictions on parking. I move my car every 24-72 hours, so it's not like my car is sitting there for weeks on end. My car is not abandoned as I do drive it. I really don't think these people can threaten to tow me and write nasty things on my car when the street is a public street. They don't own the street, everyone does.

Am I totally wrong here?

2. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    As long as there are no posted signs, or street cleaning, you should be OK. But, be careful. Your neighbor (or neighbors) seem to be getting mean. They may let the air out of a tire or something.

It is likely the same person or two just being rude.
    I would call the local VN police and ask them.

3. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Yep, if there are no posted signs saying "Parking by Permit Only" or "No Parking between 2am and 6am" or any other restrictions, then they have no right to tow your car. Unless it's abandoned or something.

..and don't worry about being OT.. most things here are anyway. No need to apologize!!

4. DoDoBinks

DoDoBinks Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    yeah i agree with darth bubba and jediracer... unless there's a "no parking" type of sign there then your fine... u should call the police and make a complaint about this.. if they do n e thing drastic to your car (and i hope they don't) u can call the police and tell them that they're vandalizing ur car, which is considered "private property."

5. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Angi, I think you should take some advice from a James Bond movie, "For Your Eyes Only". In this movie, Bond drives a really cool Lotus to a compound of a South American druglord. He sets the alarm, and leaves it. Some baddies from the compound come out and see a sticker on it saying something like "Do not touch. Protected by security system". One guy shrugs, and whacks the passenger window with a crowbar. the entire car (and the baddies) explode into a fiery ball of flame.

So, not only would you get rid of the rude neighbor, but you could collect more than the car's worth in insurance money.

Viola! Problem solved!

6. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Angi, these people are totally out of line. How very rude of them to think they control the whole street. And like everyone else has said, if there are no signs saying you can't park there, then you are in the right.

7. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    I really like Jay's idea. Or, do like RoboCop and have the car electronically wired so they get electrocuted and die.

But, that assumes she has full coverage insurance.

8. stagelife

stagelife Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2003
    See now I have been there sometimes people park in front of my house and it pisses me off when thre is parkin by there place... now I know there is no resion to be pissed but it is kinda a bummer to look out your window and see an old car.... but its a street for god sakes... so other than puttin it somewhere else... well leave notes on there car now

9. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't know about where you live in particular, but I've lived in municipalities that have general, non-posted ordinances about public parking. You can't depend on a sign (or lack thereof). Contact your local PD for the rules for your street. Unfortunately, in your case, "mob rule" may prevail over your legal rights. And a trashed car will be that much harder to sell.

Have you listed it anywhere? Is it priced too high? Are you really motivated to part with it? I've always been able to sell a car within a week as long as I really wanted to do so. But sometimes we get attached to our cars. Anyway, I'd either sell it ASAP, or check on your rights, and maybe file a harassment report to protect yourself. I hope it's still on your insurance, too!

Best of luck,
    JediBith

EDIT: I should also mention that property owners will always win over renters in these disputes...they pay taxes, and think we don't (although my managers always pass the tax along :(). Some rental contracts have rules stipulated within them about parking, too. If you rent, check your rental contract if the owners are being mean. They may have their point in writing somewhere.

Where I live I can never park due to church-goers. They have three HUGE lots, which are always nearly empty, but don't want the log-jam of exiting the lots when they leave so they use the street. Needless to say, they take spots NEEDED by residents here. And can WE use the church parking lot? NOOOOOOO!

10. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    The homeowners can go take a flying leap as far as the law is concerned. Bitter old farts with nothing better to do will always fnid something to pick at in order to make their lives seem less hollow.

As far as the Church parking thing goes, if you can get enough signatures together (it depends on the population of you particular municipality) you can have your area ordained a permit parking area. if you're willing to part with 30 to 35 dollars a month the city will take care of the problem for you.

11. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Some cities do not allow parking overnight on the street unless you have a permit. If you can park on the street and not get a ticket then your city is not one of those cities. Most PUDs (planned urban developments) don't allow parking on the street even if the city does. If you live in a PUD then you need to move your car. Most PUDs are so oppressively strict you can't sneeze without permission, okay, maybe not that bad but still. My guess is your neighbors are super sensitive and think your car is an eye sore. I'd call the police to see if there are any regulations regarding parking on the street. If there are, move your car. If there aren't any, if any one makes a snide comment then just tell them you are in the process of selling it but the neighbors are making it difficult on you (don't say it in an apologetic manner either). Good luck!

12. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    so, my 10 and 6 year old nephews stayed with me last night. I took them to In N Out, we had an Ice Cream Sundays, and Root Beer Float session, watched Clone Wars 1-10, and some movie called Clock Stoppers. They had a blast. I spoiled them silly.

They so love SW! D-H, I even insured they brushed their teeth, washed their face, and went to bed by 10 PM. How is this related to topic... it is not.

They both love Mace Windu. Especially the 6 year old.
    At Disney, they took a photo of their faces, but in the roles of Padme and Hand Maidens. The three year old (sister) was Padme, and the two BOYS were Hand Maidens. Of course, they gave it to Uncle Marshall as a gift. (no, I did not tell them they were supposed to be chicks) They did the Anakin and Obi Wan as well.

I of course, gave one of them a 4 Pack of figures, the other the (cheaper) version of Anakin Light Saber.
    Naturally, the 6 year old wants the Mace Windu FX version from Master Replica. I told him: start saving your allowance.

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm glad to hear that you were a somewhat responsible uncle, D-B. I always make sure all of my padawan's little friends get cleaned up and changed before they go to sleep. I work on them in the morning too, though that oddly enough is harder.

14. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I live in ghetto in Van Nuys. My car is far from the "eyesores" that are parked out there!

heh.

15. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    you are so close, but yet, so FAR from the LAFF

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I thought the City of LA did not allow street parking from 3-6 am. I tried to find the DOT site to check but I got too much stuff. I'll see what can be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.