main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Legal status of God

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Mar 26, 2015.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    So we have a legal status for everything that's of influence to us, in every country in the West. People, places. Products. Plants. Yet, over half the people in the Western hemisphere believe there is someone with more influence than any of us. God has mysteriously eluded any attempts to slap a legal status on him.
    By not defining God's legal status for themselves, and campaigning for it, Christian political parties are basically taking the whole system by the nose. Pretending to further a cause - our justice system - that they don't really support. Because they make an extreme exception without flinching on a daily basis.

Is God a person? An animal? And is he eligible for tax? Is he a resident of any country? Not? Does he fall under international space law?

Until we get more clarity, we'd have to consider God an illegal alien.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He is the Senate!

Ezio Skywalker and Hank Hill like this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm pretty sure God has an American passport. [face_flag]

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    God is beyond physical labeling.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm pretty sure i met god once and he lives in washington. he was white (check), elderly (check), had a beard (check), and did NOT want me eating his apples.

7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    This is the kind of lazy rhetoric that I'm trying to do away with her. If there is anything with that much influence in our lives that is beyond physical labeling, then politics and law are scams. Because your being beyond physical labeling has a say in whether people can marry or not. Whether people can have an abortion or not. Yet he is never held accountable. How convenient.

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    A God that is held accountable is not a God. A God must be above all that. If a God is beholden to anything they are not a God. A God must be absolutely supreme, nothing can be higher than them, no law, no morality, nothing. What a God does is automatically right because they are a God.

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    As a child, being taught that God is everywhere and is all around us pretty much summed this up for me. God's like The Force, so to speak.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

So god is perenially out of reach of accountability for the actions born of capricious rage?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Ezio Skywalker and SuperWatto like this.
  12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

[​IMG]

And so his influence on the people who believe in him heavily undermines the justice system, rendering it nearly unworkable. Don't you think those people should be held accountable then?

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    You assume there are things God would need to be held accountable for. As the supreme being and creator of everything he can do as he pleases. If he wants to turn you snide out and let fire ants eat you alive tomorrow he has the absolute right to do so and there is no reason he should not if he chooses. He is not bound by our morality or laws. And why should he be? I am not bound for the puny morals cells around me my come up with, for their capacity for thought is far closer to ours than our capacity for thought is to a supreme being.

Why shouldn't they be? At least in the Christian religion believers are commanded by God to obey the governments and laws of the land as the governments are appointed by God. Rebellion and acts against the state are acts against God by proxy

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Who gave God that right? Man. Man had to create a god that whose crimes, his malice and his cruelty needed to be out of reach of any form of accountability or justice. We created a monster, but one "more powerful" than we are.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd also argue, man who was so desperate to avoid responsibility and critical thought that he wanted someone to tell him what to do and how to think, even if it meant being told to think "You deserve to be eaten by fire ants because I said so."

Hank Hill likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    What lethargic handwaving.
    Governments are not appointed by God. Are you saying the democratic process is now also a scam?
    And any and all rebellion is bad?

... You sure you're on the right forum?

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Romans 13:1
    "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

I'm just saying, for Christians at least, obeying the state is obeying God. If the state gives an order that conflicts with Gods law follow Gods law, in all other cases do all you can to obey the state.

Well whether or not the democratic process is a scam depends on how you view free will... i mean there is the whole theological concept of election and all...

It depends.

You sure your in the right thread? You asked a question about God and are flabbergasted that religious people have an answer you don't like?

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Roman gods were subject to contract law. Being overly legalistic, the Romans litigated them out of existence.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, does that mean GenAntilles, that God was behind the Third Reich?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Sure. So was the Soviet Union, ISIS, Nero's Rome, etc... God giving authority does not make a government holy. Christians were called to obey Rome even though Rome was not holy and actively persecuted them. Obey up until in contradicts a higher law, then if you disobey the state be prepared for the state to punish you. Obeying God does not give you an excuse to be exempt from state punishment.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But up until God's apparent main conduit to earth, the Holy See, retracted the charge of deicide against the Jews it was widely accepted that Jews were culpable in the death of God's son (and, not at all weirdly, god himself... God is a mother****er, literally) and so doesn't that mean the Nazis were just avenging a slight against God?

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Nope. Besides the fact the Holy See has no spiritual authority the Jews were never guilty of any deicide anymore than all humanity is, the Bible also is clear on "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. So avenging a sin against God is itself a sin

23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Acts of god are given legal effect in nearly every commercial contract ever written. I guess that makes god a legal entity if his acts allow somebody to ignore a contractual obligation. Wasn't there a Billy Connolly movie where the main character sued the church as god's earthly legal representatives for the acts if god which burned his house down? Was a decent movie.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Doesn't it? Don't tell them that.

Surely though your God would appreciate the effort; otherwise, why would he have built humans with the capacity to be vengeful? To set them up to fail.

The way I see it, the fact that God could create Nazis makes Him at the very least equally culpable for their crimes. A key test of negligence in the law is reasonable foreseeability - the degree to which an entity could have reasonably foreseen the consequence of their actions. Since God is apparently omniscient and omnipotent - and since time and space are relative, there's no way a being like God could not have seen the consequence of His actions in inventing the Nazis.

He's a wicked entity.