main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Legalisation of marijuana in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by KitFist0, Sep 5, 2002.

?

Legalisation of marijuana in Canada

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
  2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Now the Senate has come out in support of legalizing marijuana. How do you feel about this issue?

Legalize it 3816 votes (30 %)
    Legalize it only for medical purposes 1664 votes (13 %)
    It should be controlled the same as liquor 5369 votes (42 %)
    Keep the laws as they are 868 votes (7 %)
    The laws should be even more stringent 1006 votes (8 %)

Total Votes: 12723

-The Globe and Mail online poll

I believe it should be treated the same as alcohol, because when it comes right down to it, it's essentially the same thing.

The Senate is made up of a bunch of old dudes, and even they want it legalized. What more does the Liberal government need? It's time for them to start acting liberal and legalize it, in my opinion.

EDIT: I don't think Harper's response should carry any weight. He's far more conservative than most Canadians. He'd do better in American politics. Harper opposes everything the government does anyway, just for the sake of opposition. If the Liberals decided to pass a law that would turn Canada into a Utopia with no strings attached, the Alliance would oppose that too.

EDIT 2: I agree that 18 is a good age.

3. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
  4. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Hell Yeah.

5. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Just say no to drugs and you will fully feel the power of the force. Clouded you judegements will not be. Drugs shall only cause the shroud of the dark side to fall...

;) (that's master Yoda for you! )

6. Cheel83

Cheel83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    marijuana is no drug.. it's a plant.

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Lady_Lucas, Canadians have a different mindset about these things than Americans. You've already been warned about your thread here, and if I recall, you were one of the ones that invaded us. I don't know if there's any kind, polite way of saying this, so I'll just come out and say it. This is a forum for Canadians. You have your own forum, and we don't go it it. Please, kindly extend us the same courtesy. If you wish to talk to us, there are many other places here, like Community, where you can do so. Please respect our small, private corner of the JC.

8. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I believe most drugs come from plants.

I understand the necessity of marijuana for medical purposes, but I don't think that ANY drug should be used for anything other than medicinal purposes. It is:

A: Pointless (want a rush? try skydiving!)
    B: Damaging (when abused)
    C: A sign of boredom and the lack of a life

9. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    A: Pointless (want a rush? try skydiving!)
    B: Damaging (when abused) [like anything]
    C: A sign of boredom and the lack of a life

I totally agree, but every year the governement spends 500 million dollars to enforce the current Marijuana drug laws. Legalise it and make money with it !

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Marijuana is safer than skydiving.

The money spent on enforcing those laws is a waste. Try going to BC or Quebec. It's so widespread. Legalize it already and start profiting! Use will likely only go up a small amount.

11. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    I'm not sure that use of pot will go up, because the price will go up as well.

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    True, but it would be easier to get, and more people might try it.

Those poll results are very different from the ones at globeandmail.com. Must be those foreigners voting. ;)

13. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Would anyone argue that pot is an addictive drug? Now, it's been almost five years since I graduated high school, but I remember watchin friends get high...not pretty, although it was kinda funny and pathetic at the same time how you could mess with their minds while they were up, then they wouldn't remember it afterwards...

If we start with pot, where will it end? What if someone finds a good use for cocaine (not sure if it's possible, but people can find anything they want in anything...) Do we legalize that next? Where's the line?

14. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    One of the biggest arguments against marijuana use from people appears to be the "its a gateway drug" discussion.

Apparently a significant percentage of people who use marijuana then move onto to harder drugs like acid, crack cocaine, or heroin. This is a proven fact.

What isn't being taken into account though is since pot is sold illegally, people have to visit dealers to get the stuff, and its the dealers who also provide the harder drugs. If pot was available, say similar to cigarettes at a local store, the people buying it are not going to go back to the store to get crack, and won't be exposed to it, or the kind of drug culture that currently marijuana is a part of.

Then you'll see the people who move on from pot to harder drugs, are basically the same percentage of people who move from alcohol to harder drugs. Its an issue with the person, and not the actual substance they are abusing which causes the problems.

Should some people not use pot? Sure. Its the same as people who always drink too much. Do we blame the availability of alcohol now for drunkeness? That argument failed along with prohibition. Considering that marijuana is essentially as harmful as tobacco or alcohol is, and they are controlled but not illegal, pot should fit within the same category.

Just as an aside: Harder drugs are a different issue in that they are more harmful then the above examples. I don't think anyone will argue against the addictiveness and destructive behaviour caused by the other drugs out there.

15. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    they should criminalize cigarettes and decriminalize pot.

16. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Thanks Admiral for you kindeness,

Actually here are some REAL facts for those that care about science and health...

This is according to the World Book Encyclopedia, published 1999, Volume 13.

"....Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals. When smoked it produces over 2000 chemicals that enter the body through the lungs.......Short term effects include both psychological and physical reactions. Changes are caused by a chemical called THC that impairs brain function. The drug causes redness in the eyes and rapid heart beat. It interferes with a person's judgement and coordination. Driving a motor vehicle under the influence is particularly dangerous.
    Long Term effects: Studies have shown that regular use of Marjuana for several months or more can develop into serious health problems. Use of marijuana harms memory and motivation. Chronic users suffer from bronchitis, coughing, and chest pains. MARIJUANA SMOKE ALSO CONTAINS cancer causing subtances. With MALES marijuana affects the production of sperm and the male sex hormone testosterone [face_shocked]. Among FEMALES it can cause irreularity and reduced fertility.
    Extended use also has psycological effects on many people. These individuals lose interst in school, their job and social activities. A marijuana high gives some people a FALSE sense of having important ideas and achieveing new understanding about life. Some people believe marijuana improves their talent or abilities but scientists have found marijuana impairs all abilities....."
    Straight from the book! Ok well except the shocked face...I added. :)

And as you can imagine I could put the entire encyclopedia definition but it is huge!!

I rest my case. Of course it should be illegal. You want to legalize? Why not crack, cocaine, heroine, EVERYTHING then.

You want to risk having no future children, get cancer, impare yourself mentally?? smoke up!

:)

17. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    No, it's all I'm saying. It's just another form of smoking. That's another thing that should go too. But keep the booze!

18. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well that definition shows that pot is essentially as dangerous as cigarettes then as far as physical damage, the effects on judgement and ability is pretty much the same as alcohol.

Like I said, as long as cigarettes and alcohol are considered legal albeit controlled substances then marijuana, given all the evidence, falls into the same category as those two. Money for policing can be better spent on the harder drugs which have far greater detrimental effects for users and society then alcohol, cigarettes or marijuana.

19. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Well I agree with you about cigerettes completely. I mean whether you smoke one or a million it is still bad for you!
    Now with wine, booze etc, of course it is harmful in large doses. There has been plenty of research to suggest that wine or beer in moderation(1-2 glasses per day) is actually beneficial for your health. Red Wine especially can bring down your bad cholesterol and help fight heart disease. Of course if you go over board you sacrifice your liver. Moderation is key when coming to "booze." So grab yourself a nice Merlot or Cabernet!! :)

20. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    maybe they could only decriminalize maryijauana in Cape Breton, so that more ppl will move here. so that i could finally be part of a fanforce. Sure we'd be high, but it's still a fanforce.

21. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Well I am sure Cape Breton isn't a low down druggie area...actually I hear Cape Breton is really nice. :)

22. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    it is. it's really nice. but there's no one here. atleast no SW fans. i was hoping the marijuana would attract SW fans. but that seems a bit ridiculous, huh? :p :)

23. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Well I know it is not very populated but I wouldn't go growing a field of marijuana in your basement if I were you! ;)

24. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    So if we follow your logic alcool should be illegal then right ? Look at what the prohibition did for alcool, maybe you should look back at history [face_plain]

25. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Yeah let's just make crack/cocaine legal also...hey it would save a lot of money...

[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.