main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Legends of the Force"(epic drama with OCs), book 1, 32 Chapters, FIN

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Jan 7, 2016.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Isa sure is pissed

DarthUncle likes this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle: Thanks for saying so, luv, and trying to cheer me up after the next heavy bummer! Due to you & three of our RL friends I feel less dreadful, but it still hurts.

@earlybird-obi-wan: Well, at times she is my sound bord.

Okay, here we go, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha & @Kahara :

Chapter 30:

To my utter annoyance six more females join the fight. This is a great violation against 'The Way' and they know it. Therefore they want to wipe me out. The tale of their dishonesty needs to stay in this camp.

Half blinded by the blood in my eyes I reach out for my lance with my left hand. While I do so the claws of my right one slice through the throat of the crone.

The five remaining females get into a greater frenzy. They draw in on me, forming a deadly circle.

“We still can end this in a peaceful way. There is no need for more death,” I suggest, but I get no response. “Then let me warn you, all of you. The Force is strong in me. I faced legions of Elfin druids. I have this artificial limb here. This fight will not be even and fair.”

“Abomination!” yells one of my attackers.

I escape her hunting knife by millimetres only. Instead of drilling into my left temple it ends up in my mechanical hand.

Laughing, I pull it out of the robotic prostheses and send it back straight into her. The knife hits my attacker straight in her left eye socket. She sinks on the floor, screaming even more.

“Still five to go!” I mumble and set myself to get it over with.

On Draconis I had once observed how the litter of a jungle cat got attacked by another cat. I fight with the same ferocity as that mother animal, using all that I have learned the past decades.

My mother Chaleur, Solitaire, her holocron, Arcānā, Umbra, members of the Shesha, agents of fovea centralis and finally Grianán – all have taught me well. I am grateful to every single one of them.

After a while, I am the only one standing, bleeding from a lot of cuts. The remains of my opponents lie scattered around me.

The tribe holds back in awe and in stunned silence.

“La fille!” I scowl, my vision getting weak. The girl!

Somebody takes me by the hand and leads me towards a tent. Inside the bound body of a little girl hangs in a wooden construction. Her back is leashed open. Salt corns stick in her deep wounds.

I know the procedure all too well. My own mother and aunts have done it each time when fresh blood for our tribe had arrived. Mostly brought in by a hunting party.

As a toddler I have seen too many city folk die this way. This time it feels personal and unacceptable. For the contestant is Heulwen.

I rush towards the unconscious girl.

The Force has kept her alive until now, but her body and soul are falling apart.

The next city is too far away. I doubt that Heulwen will survive the journey through the dune sea.

It is a pity that I had been forced to leave Luçien´s ship at the edge of Montségur. If I could have simply flown the distance.

Flying.

Things with wings.

Enderv, dying in the arms of my step-brother.

The weird object that Éleos had dumped into my bag pack and for which I had been pretty crossed with him first.

A very mad plan comes alive in my mind.

(To be continued!)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    DarthUncle and pronker like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Intense action and Isa is indeed a fierce warrior. Whew, [face_nail_biting] Heulwen is gravely injured but I think Isabeau has hit upon a solution.

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    bloody update. I hope Isa can save her

5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @earlybird-obi-wan. @Darth_Furio, @Kahara, @Darth Gangrenous & @Cowgirl Jedi 1701, here another update before the weekend:

(Still Chapter 30!)

First I treat the heavy injuries of Heulwen with wild honey from a nearby pot. Then I dress her in bandages of clean cotton and cut her bonds. Finally, I wrap her into a blanket and I carry her outside.

My backpack is still where I have lost during my fight.

My little princess is so light in my arms that I have no trouble bending down.

The object that I am looking for comes flying towards me all by itself.

The tribe stares at me wide eyed, especially when the cube begins to glow in a pleasant green way.

“Isa, you must be in deep trouble when you chose to activate this holocron,” the small image of Éleos tells me matter of factly.

“I am not the one in need of help.”

I do not care that some tribe members did reach out for their weapons. Using forbidden Force technology of the Ophidiae has gotten me banned from Sapuhru in the first place.

“This is a wonderful cube, Éleos. Usually it has to be a pyramid, has it not?” I ask in a light tone of voice.

He is puzzled, but answers straight away, “The traditional design seemed wrong to me when I constructed it. There can be a lot of evil brewing in a pyramid shape. In a cube all sides are even and balanced. The way that the Force should be.”

I nod towards the holocron. “There is a lot of energy gathered inside your beautiful and even piece of art, is there not?”

“Isa, what are you planning?”

I cannot refrain from laughing. My sweet boy has managed to give the holocron his wits and personality. This way it is more than a mere learning device.

“You constructed this with a lot of love, attention and good will, did you not?” I move on.

“I do not like the direction that this conversation is taking, Isa.”

“There would be a strong disturbance in the Force if I would destroy it, right?”

“Er, yes.” The holographic figure blinks at me, trying to think as appropriate as the real Éleos would under the same circumstances.

“Every Force user and Force sensitive being on Sapuhru would feel that very disturbance.”

“That is correct, too.”

“And you had no bad thought when you did what you did. You did it all for love.”

“Isa, why should you wish destroy this innocent device?”

“Because I want Heulwen to live happily ever after.”

The tribe is closing in on me. I am committing a taboo in their midst. There is no excuse for that.

“If it really has to be”, Éleos sighs deeply. “Close your eyes! By all means close them as much as you can and keep them tightly shut.”

When the first tribal women lurch at me, I drill my spear straight into the holocron.

Even with my eyelids closed, I feel the terrible brightness of a thousand suns. I am not afraid though. Éleos is full of love and so is his toy. There was no harm for me in this white light.

But my attackers scream and scream and so does the rest of her tribe.

Vision comes back to me very slowly. All around me lie the twitching bodies of my enemies. They are alive, but they have gone blind. Every iris that had contact with the shock wave of the Force explosion has gone white. The moaning is unbelievable. It reminds me of the horrors of Polysýndeton.

Heulwen is behind me, protected by the thick blanket woven from bantha wool. I create some space for her lovely, yet utterly frozen face. Death is reaching out for her. Her pulse is weak.

Luckily, help gathers above us.

”Diwall! Diwall!” I shout at the top of my lungs, raising the remains of my spear above my head and waving the burned wood. Danger! Danger!

I am actually more pleased to see Telenn than she is to see me. The pure Asrai, having changed from a hawk to an Elfin women with blue skin, screeches at me. Her red eyes, having no white in them at all, glow in an unpleasant way.

“My master should have killed you, Isabeau. For mad persons are not to be left alive in the desert. They endanger others.”

“Shut up and listen!” I throw my damaged weapon away from me and lift Heulwen from the ground. “This is a Gwyllion child. And she is dying. Do what you want with me, but please help her!”

Telenn looks at me with unblinking eyes. “A Gwyllion child?” she repeats in disbelief while her clan conducts a fiendish circle around me.

“Listen, Telenn!” I hold the child towards her. “Her name is Heulwen and she is dear to your master.”

“Is she the reason why you are defying him?”

“Leave Lucky Luc out for now, would you?” The other Elves start to invade my privacy with their closeness. “I know that I should have never come back. But this child is dying on me.”

While the other Asrai reached out for me with their webbed hands, Telenn looks thoughtful. “There was something amiss with the holocron. It did not feel as it is supposed to feel.”

“Do not tell Prince Éleos Tjiehenet!” I joke weakly, while a strange vibration shake my body. “He thinks that his cube form will work miracles. The pyramid shape was too faulty in his critical paladin eyes.”

“A cube? Done by a paladin of the Force?”

(To be continued!)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    DarthUncle likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating and encouraging developments now that it looks like Heulwen will get help.

DarthUncle likes this.
  7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, to destroy a holocron, even one of the light side of the Force comes with a price. Like good old Rumpel would say. ;)

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I hope Heulwen will be alright. Pyramid? Sith?

9. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Haven't been able to comment on your last updates before, lots of good stuff I missed with that, it seems, hmhm.

Lucky Luck, LOL, well deserved.

So very Isabeau to use that holocron thusly! Poor eleos, but I think it is good he gets to learn that powerful devices can be turned to many uses, both good and bad, and even if the holocron has more sides, so does its' effect. Isabeau's discussion with the holocron-eleos made me grin, it was so eleos/Isa, and all while saving her ward, great!

10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Jedi. Cube. That gets destroyed this time. A couple of years ago she watched how Lucien destroyed the pyramid holocron. :p

@DarthUncle: Thanks for finding the time commenting and taking care of your sick wife with such love & dedication! [face_love]

11. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @DarthUncle, @Kahara, @Darth_Furio, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 and @earlybird-obi-wan, here we go again:

(Still Chapter 30!)

Not much later we are in the underground kingdom of the water elves. The interior of the caves is made of natural shiny black stone; a rock that absorbs light instead of reflecting it. Yet the rough surface gives birth to the most wondrous things that my slanted cat eyes ever witnessed.

The strange semi-darkness around me is full of glowing crystals. It is like swimming in a solar sea with a tiny space ship.

Various shades of blue and green pierce straight into my heart.

There will be swords, elegant weapons for more civilized days to come.

Before I can stop it, the words blurt out.

“The crystal is the heart of the blade.
    The heart is the crystal of the Jedi.
    The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart.
    All are intertwined: the crystal, the blade, the Jedi.
    You are one.”

A blue face comes uncomfortably close, when I am myself again. Its eyes are as red and cold as ever. “For somebody who does not believe in the Force and its mysteries, you are full of future visions and, even most impressive, full of Midi-chlorians. How can that be?”

“Believe me, Telenn, I never asked for this plague to invest me in the first place.” While I speak, the life of my sweet girl is waning. “Nothing of it matters right now. Heulwen is your kin as much she is mine.”

Her rasp laughter reminds me of the Walking Dead on Cunablua. “Why should we help a half-breed that we do not even know? It seems to be her fate to die.”

“No!” I claim. “She will not die on me. I will put her back into the arms of your cursed master.”

Mentioning Luçien always makes people behave in strange ways. Telenn moves as quick as a ray of light shooting through a rain cloud. I am pushed aside.

“Dealg, known as the Skywalker, was the first to become aware of the mystical energy field that held the Crystallite sun system together. He learned of its two halves – the Ashla, or the good, and the Bogan, the paraforce of evil. The Skywalker passed on this knowledge to his kin – twelve children who would pass on the Force to their children.”

I show Telenn my bare fangs for I could not care less. “Keep your clan history for yourself. This is not the time to lecture me about the two halves of the Force. If I want a lot of text, I have Éleos to enlighten me already.”

The rest of Asrai gather around us. “We, the Jedi Bendu of Sapuhru, will help the child,” they speak in unison.

In grim silence I watch the healing.

Despite all what Telenn and her clan tried, Heulwen simply does not wake up.

The good news is that her breath is more regular again. Her body at least is healthy.

“This is the best that we can do, Isabeau.”

Even though Telenn tries her best, the predator in me I can see beyond her mask of politeness. “I think we are done here,” I mutter. “I am not meant to stay in a cave forever, buried alive.”

There were only a few places in the universe where my claustrophobia has never struck me.

“Telenn, I want to pay a visit to Minou, the patron of the House of Healing.”

“You are doomed when you go to see her. It is one of the master´s most frequently visited places.”

Pour la morte.” I snarl, while I gaze at the unconscious Heulwen. “I could as well wait for him while I get a massage.”

The clan of the Jedi Bendu refuses to enter the narrow canyon that leads towards Montségur. Only Telenn remains by my side.

Heulwen rests in my arms like a new-born baby, that is overwhelmed by sleep after all its struggles to enter life. I beam down on her. She is live and all will be well.

“How do you think to get entrée for the two of you, Isabeau?” Telenn speaks straight into my head.

I fumble around in my torn clothing with one dirty hand. Two chains hang around my neck, unharmed from all the lethal combat that I have faced in so far. One of them is the seal of the royal House Tjiehenet. The other one is a more personal necklace, self-made during a forced sea journey.

Unimpressed, Telenn eyes the Great Snake. “Do you think that this will be enough? The fact that you rule Draconis for the dauphine Caelestris does not mean very much in this realm, and it surely won't help.”

I present her my right hand, careful not to shift Heulwen too much. “This is the signet ring of the Aletheia family. The friendship between Agathos and Luçien is well known in this city.”

“I fear the coat of arms that this ring carries is not known at all.”

With a deep sigh I move my left hand a bit and move my other ring finger slightly. “Will this be sufficient?”

Telenn looks horrified. “How come you have this? It is her wedding ring. He had it made for her by his best silver smith.”

“Sionnach waited for me outside the library.” A smile splits my already dry lips. “She said that this ring lost its meaning for her and she gave me her blessings for this mission.”

“My master will not be pleased about this.”

“She hasn't been very pleased with Luçien recently either.”

Something like worry shines in her red eyes. “You cannot imagine the degree of madness with which he will strike you down for this insult.”

I shrug and start walking towards the city.

Hawk feathers rustle softly in the moonlight and then my companion is gone.

(To be continued!)

DarthUncle likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautiful recitation regarding the blade, crystals, and Jedi =D= Excellent verbal sparring between Telenn and Isabeau but you know Isa is determined enough to get her way for the wellbeing of Heulwen. @};-

Fascinated by the various reactions Lucien gets by various personages -- Telenn versus Sionnach. :p

13. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    ooh, feisty. Telenn isn't wrong about Isabeau being maybe a little too eager to stoke the fires, but I can't really take it against her, she does it with such an attitude. And of course, if Sionnach gave that ring to her, well, Lucien surely (but, yeah, it's him so we can't expect miracles on that front, any time soon) should do some mirror searching, right?

14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha & @DarthUncle, I really don´t know what I would do without you these days.

Now the update itself:

(Still Chapter 30!)

I tell the night watch that I am on a secret mission for Her Ladyship Sionnach Ankoù and that it would be better to keep silent about it.

Without fuzz arrangements are made. Discrete and, most important for me, fast.

In no time I stand before Mistress Yeotenn herself. The patron has aged immensely since I have seen her last. Her age lines have gotten as deep as the canyons of the erg. Barely visible through them is her crescent moon tattoo. The shimmer of the moon goddess still lies around her though. And her mind is as sharp as ever.

“Lady Isabeau Riwalan and her protégée Princess Heulwen Tjiehenet,” she muses, while leaning on her walking stick. “The desert has mercy at times. Come in! And rest.”

At a wink of hers three young women present themselves, all half-bloods like us. I allow them to take Heulwen away from me.

Mistress Yeotenn herself lets me into a chamber, where she undresses me with surprising lightness and easiness.

Only wearing a cotton towel, I fully dedicate myself to the ritual of cleansing. Soon, the rubbing of the peeling gloves can be felt all over my skin. Cascades of lukewarm water rain down on me. The massage foam smells delicious.

I have not felt so whole, so contempt for ages.

When all is done I sit down on my heels, adorned in an azure morning robe.

Mistress Yeotenn glides down in front of me.

The traditional tea ceremony can begin.

I feel all the stress of my long, perilous journey to dissolve into nothingness.

We drink in complete silence, honouring the Way of the Tea. The green tea is prepared in perfection right in front of my nose. Its scent makes my soul tremble. My entire body starts humming with joy once the mug reaches my lips.

I swallow the tea respectfully. Each of my movements is like a prayer, whispering words into eternity.

Afterwards Mistress Yeotenn and I remain seated, looking at one another.

It is me who speaks first. “Can Heulwen be saved?”

“The child needs time to heal from within.” Her features stay neutral. “Only then will she wake up. She has witnessed a lot of horrible things in her young life.”

I nod.

There is a frown. “Something dreadful happened to her parents, did it not?”

“Luçien never tells you of his dark deeds when he comes to visit you in this sanctuary?”

Her eyes become unbelievingly sad. “He tells me things he does not dare to speak about to his own mother or his wife.”

I smirk. “This is why Sionnach could not go on like this any longer.”

Mistress Yeotenn presses a hand against her mouth. Her eyes are wide in shock now. “This will break him apart.”

I could not care less. “Tell me, did he do it? Did he kill Heulwen´s mother?”

“Yes and no.” Mistress Yeotenn stares at her empty tea mug as if it contains a suitable answer. “You would have made the same choice, done the same thing.”

My nasal wings tremble. “I never could have taken the head of a mother while her child was watching.”

“This is a very unlucky affair.” Mistress Yeotenn did sigh deeply. “If only you would understand what led to this tragedy.”

My eyes turn into slits. “Then make me.”

“I am afraid it is not my position to do so. You must ask him yourself. I am surprised that you never spoke to him about it.”

I laugh out dryly. “I suppose he will not grant me the time once he has spotted me.”

She stays aloof like the face of the moon. “I suggest that you leave the princess in my care and return to Draconis, where you are needed.”

The offer is unexpected. I can not take it though. “We both know that there is nowhere to hide from Luçien. Our rift once started in this very établissement.”

“This is a house of peace, healing and tranquillity. I will not allow you to end this madness here.” Mistress Yeotenn rises in dignity, her walking stick pressed closely to her frail body. “I have booked you on a common passenger flight to Draconis. Flor will escort you to the space port, while the princess remains here with us for a while.”

My nostrils flare in alarm. I am on my feet within a single heart beat, my body rigid in a deadly combat position.

My step-mother Flor laughs at me, making me feel like a stupid teenage girl again. She is around fifty-six moon years old now, but looks way younger. Only some fine wrinkles around the eyes and her hands betray her. “In body you may have changed, Isabeau, but your spirit is still that of a desert rat. Fierce and driven by instinct.”

“I never loved you either,” I comment back.

“We should have been so frank with one another much earlier. This would have made matters less complicated,” Flor replies.

“Are you here to take away your son´s pleasure in killing me?” I conclude, staying in position.

Au contraire. My husband died one hour ago, forgiving you on his death bed. You are pardoned.”

“I do not believe you.”

“Then come and smell.” Flor holds up her hands towards me, inviting me to smell her palms. Her gaze is calm and controlled. I can see no lie in it.

Gingerly, I move towards her, still not willing to trust her with all my heart. Yet the scent that lingers on her skin is very well known to me. It sobers me from all the negative feelings. “How died he die?” I humbly asked.

She shrugs. “His heart was weak, but he did not wish us to inform Luçien.” Flor seems somewhat agitated. “Then a guard from the night watch appeared at our doorstep, telling us about your glorious return with the princess. Alezan decided to pardon you at once. He died in my arms, a peaceful smile on his lips.”

“Does Luçien know?” I ask on.

“I will contact him as soon as you are gone.” Fleur looks utterly displeased. “I want this deadly conflict ended. Alezan forgave you and Luçien needs to live with that. By risking your life for a valuable member of the royal family Tjiehenet you did much to add to the honour of the House Ankoù.”

I am reminded of all the times that I have saved the serpent-spawn the past decades. All those acts had been more impressive than my combat in the dune sea, but this might be easier to understand for the local Lidérc, I guess.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for the likes, @DarthUncle & @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha. Because it means so much to the two of you, I will nicely round this up next weekend.
    @Kahara, @Darth_Furio, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 & @Darth Gangrenous might like to see the published end of Isa´s story, too.

I am just not sure if the universe needs Sionnach´s story to be retold. Perhaps I will put it into Archieves of our Own only. This fan fic board needs no more bulky never-ending-stories of mine.

The sequel to "Rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light" will be much shorter than the original. And because some people pointed that out, I am asked to write less tragic. But it won´t be slapstick either. Because life is NOT always funny. People get hurt and sometimes they even die.

Darth_Furio and pronker like this.
  16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
  17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Happy Easter everybody!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    DarthUncle and pronker like this.
  18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Best wishes! Toodles! :)

DarthUncle likes this.
  19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Due to @DarthUncle, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha & @Kahara this one will go on.

Perhaps @earlybird-obi-wan, @Darth_Furio, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701, @Darth Gangrenous and @pronker might like this Easter egg here, too.

Chapter 31:

I am rushed off to the space port by an unnerved Flor. There had barely been enough time to give Heulwen a good-bye kiss.

It pains to leave the girl behind, but Mistress Yeotenn is right. My part in her rescue is done. She needs healing of a different kind now. I just hope that Luçien will not be involved.

I start paying attention to my surroundings.

It is close to dusk and people hurry back home, most of them unwilling to meet daylight. I do not mind the sun. For a child of the dune sea such matters are different. City folk are weak and soft. Many avoid looking at us openly.

Suddenly the space port is there, an ugly steel building not really fitting into Montségur.

Before I can exchange a word with my step-mother, I stand in front of a metal desk with a bored looking clerk behind it. The man is fully human, no trace of Lidérc blood in his veins at all.

“Papers?” he demands.

I give them to him and he looks at them shortly. Then he rams a stamp down on them.

“Verified. Please go to the lounge and remain there until your flight number is called.”

Frowning, I do his bidding.

The lounge is an overcrowded room with a mix of races in it. There are humans from Amnion with their olive skin and dark hair. They have lively conversations while spilling food and drink everywhere.

I can also spot some Elves, who obviously wish to be very far away from Western Plains.

Full-blooded Lidérc, all of them elderly business men, talk with hushed voices about spices and oil prices.

Sadly no Ophidea are present, but then again I am meant to travel incognito.

Nobody shoots a glance towards me. All are busy with their own affairs.

After what seems a little eternity, a sturdy human enters the lounge. “My name is Captain Antilles,” he introduces himself. “If you would care to follow me.”

Bemused, I join the procession.

Passenger flights in-between worlds were are so different to private space ships, let alone government shuttles.

While we all bravely queue up, flight papers at hand once more, I hear shouting.

Then somebody heartily curses in my mother tongue.

The voice which answers in a very rude way in Basic is surprisingly familiar to me.

I sniff, checking the scent.

Skje Jörd, the former stable boy of the royal midwinter castle, is a long way from home.

Suddenly, there are strange sounds in the air.

I have heard laser gun fire before, but not so close a distance.

Hand guns, a dreadful invention from Amnion, are considered a dishonour on the other worlds of our sun system.

Annoyed, I swirl around.

Skje Jörd bumps against me and runs off without even noticing me.

I hear another shot being fired.

Something hits me hard in the stomach.

I look down in mild anger just to find a small hole in my sari. It is smoking.

My knees give in.

People are screaming.

I hit the ground.

Feet are running.

More shouting follows.

I just lie there wondering how such a small wound can cause so much damage.

Then I catch another familiar scent.

Ruadhan Ahearn falls on his knees, taking one of my hands.

“Milady, you have been injured. Please try to lie still! Help is on its way.” His voice is as shaky as his body. “I am so sorry that Skje got you in trouble. I never should have taken him to Sapuhru in the first place.”

I want to answer him, but bubbles of blood run out of my mouth. They choke all words.

“Don't try to speak!” The Elfin man cries down on me. “Please save your strength!”

I manage to turn my face away from the hot tears. It is then that I notice the arrival of the ducal guard. A very familiar figure leads them.

Even though I am losing a lot of energy, I whisper in the language of the Asrai, “Maro han barn ifern ien, Pa ho soign den e tle crenau.” I laugh throatily, letting more blood forth. Death, judgement, cold hell; when man thinks about it he ought to shiver.

The dark angel of Montségur, the messie of the Faithful has come to claim me. I should be grateful. I really should.

“Maxima culpa, maxima mea culpa,” I gurgle in the tongue of the Holy Isle. Through my fault, through my immense fault.

With steady steps Luçien strides towards me, while I cough more and more blood.

“Your honoured step-brother is here now,” Ruadhan Ahearne beams. “All will come to a good end now! He has the power to save you.”

As if the dark side of the Force is known for such things as mercy and generosity.

“Move it!” Luçien's voice sweeps through the hangar like a whip. “My sister needs privacy. Everybody out.”

Helplessly, I witness everybody following his orders.

The hangar empties in no time.

I remain alone with my would-be assassin.

Luçien stands still, frozen to the spot. He already has chosen his method of killing me. Of this I am sure. I can read it straight see his eyes. The yellow fire of the dark side burns in them.

A vision of the future squeezes into my mind.

A bearded man looks down on something that he once had loved as much as a brother.

In a sea of lava he leaves behind a mutilated body that is on fire.

It is betrayal in the most bitter way. So much cowardice and hypocrisy.

Luçien takes off his leather gloves, throws them on the ground. Then he looks at his hands, stretches his fingers.

I feel my lungs collapsing more and more.

This is when I understand the vision that I had about my own death. It is ironic really. Not the water of a lake or ocean waves will kill me. My own blood is about to coax me.

I snarl.

There is no dignity in such a death. My step-brother will not even grant me a fair fight with him. His esteem for me seems very low.

While he leans down to me his voice is hoarse. “I did warn you, Isabeau, didn´t I?”

That is true. But there is something that matters more. I notice that he carries Grianán´s scent on him.

That cannot be! That is impossible!

(To be continued!)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Darth_Furio , pronker and DarthUncle like this.
  20. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    A cliffhanger I am sure @earlybird-obi-wan would be proud of!

Wait, so is that it for Isabeau? I'll miss her causticly tender character if so! But she seems to have done a pretty good job in getting the snake spawn to adulthood, in so far as it was ever in her power.

You are at least going to continue this story and let us find out what those events that ended up gathering Isa as collateral signify, right?

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Intense and gripping! Lucien is of course tangled up in it. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  22. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Keep writing Azure. I want to know what becomes of Lucien. ;)

23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle, @Kahara, @Darth_Furio, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701, @Darth Gangrenous & @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @pronker & @earlybird-obi-wan: This is the end now:

(Still Chapter 31)

My nasal wings flutter.

It is indeed Grianán’s unique scent. Underlining it I smell tears, vomit and blood. All relatively fresh.

I stare at Luçien in horror.

There is also Mandrake root. The witch hunt potion of the beanmna feasa order. What has my step-brother done to the young woman since I have left Draconis?

He still towers above me, as dark as a tropical thunder storm. “I ordered you to never come back home. You chose to disobey me.” He opens his arms wide as if this was some public senate speech. “You were aware of the consequences.”

I roll my eyes.

“Even in death you mock me, Isabeau. How dare you!”

Breathing gets more and more painful.

Thinking turns into a complicated act of balance.

Even though my Grianán is badly hurt, she is alive. Death carries a different scent like Flor proved to me earlier on. Her husband’s death had stuck to my step-mother like a very bad perfume.

While my step-brother rants on, I reach out with the Force. I never did so before, but this time I have no other option left.

The past, the present and the future create a colourful series of images.

Luçien bends over to kiss his prey lightly on the mouth. “Good-bye, Grianán. I love you more than you ever will know.”

“Then show me!”

“I already am.”

His scimitar moves and her royal blood – sang real – splatters through the room.

Without even knowing he, the best witch hunter of the sun system, just has made a powerful offering to the great snake herself. And the Great Mother answers immediately.

I move one of my hands away from my belly and towards my throat.

Entwined like tendrils in the Mother Jungle, the royal snake-spawn half lie, half sit in front of the chimney.

Jocus just says, “Fou, fou, l’amour est fou.” A grin splits his face. “Crazy, crazy, love is crazy. Our Gri always has been on the loony side. She will be the perfect match for Luçien.”

Lazily, Baldita raises her wine glass to a toast. “Cheerio to that!”

“As long as he does not break the bones of his bride-to-be, I will remain content and happy,” adds Rubio.

“His Lordship is more known to be a heart breaker,” reasons Jocus, swinging his glass carefree. “Think of little Heulwen.”

Grim determination sets into the usually calm features of Calathus. “If he hurts Gri in any way, I will finish this dirty tom cat off.”

“I am not a clairvoyant like Isa, states Èleos. Besides, it is very difficult to predict the behaviour of a man like Ankoù.”

“Hear, hear!” exclaims Cousin Jocus. “But now get to the point, bro. You are holding back here.”

“I do not believe that Isa can escape the situation on Sapuhru alive, even if she manages find our Heulwen.” Deep sorrow is written all over Èleos’ face. “If the worst case scenario should occur, we should not hold Vicomte Ankoù responsible for her death. Harsh as this may sound, she had it coming. A death mark needs to be obeyed.”

Baldita raises her brows slightly. They are a burnished gold, almost bronze. “So your order is: protect and stand still? You should discuss that one with Ce.”

“Dita, the fate of the House Ankoù and this planet rest in Gri’s hands. If she has mercy on the Vicomte, then we can afford to show him mercy, too.”

“So you let them have this wedding?” Calathus makes a face, somewhat aghast. “Just like that?”

“Our sweet sister has eloped with him, Cal. We are too late to interfere here. They might have consumed the marriage already.”

“I still not buy that. Sorry, Eli. There is something very wrong here. She would not chose a paranoid tyrant. And certainly not a religious fanatic.”

My head is dizzy, but I cannot stop looking into the time windows that open for me like folding doors.

“Tu vas me détruire!” Sheer desperation laces Luçien’s voice. “You will destroy me. I have a proposal for you, Grianán. You must consider my words before saying anything. The magic of your ancestors is evil and manipulative. My heart was blinded by you from the moment I set eyes on you. In no time, you made me bare myself to you, kneel at your feet.”

There is a bundle of tattooed skin and bones on the floor in front of him.

“You know my thoughts and feelings like nobody else, using them against me all the time. But I have news for you, Grianán.” Tears of anger glisten in his eyes. “I know your fears as well. All of them.”

I make a gurgling sound.

Members of Clan Mössa have invaded the royal library of Dún Barr.

“The most dangerous thing about Luçien is his deep religious conviction,” Ciall O’Maoilrian says from a shadowy corner. “Sebastomania. Which means that he always takes the canons literal.”

Sionnach O’Conghaile wraps her arms around herself. “But he has never enforced his religion on me or the children. Normally, he does not bother other people with his own religious standards.”

“Are we still talking about the same guy here?” Calathus stares at his cousin, mildly disconcerted. “The Messiah of the Lidérc?”

“Let us suppose His Lordship loves Grianán,” Caelestris gives to consider. “But despite his tender feelings for her, His Lordship might regard our sister as a Force witch that needs saving.”

“Grianán, a Force witch of the old days?” A brief flare of irritation shows in Jocus’ eyes. “Her, of all people? What is wrong with his judgement?”

My lips twist as I try to follow the heated discussion that might have already taken place. It is hard to tell. All the time lines are twisted like a ball of wool.

“If Luçien really wanted my daughter dead, he would already have killed her long ago. He had so many countless opportunities.” Grim resolve settles into Agathos. “I retire to my chambers. Valiant, if you please can escort me!”

Daná is really agitated. “Face it, dad. Your long friend has fallen to the dark side. Like Mother before him. There will be no redemption, no last minute miracle and certainly no wedding.”

I am torn away from the scene to witness another, much darker one.

“During our flight to Sapuhru you can meditate about your unbelievable incapability to work with me. I try to improve this galaxy. You owe me your help, your obedience and your love.”

Luçien is standing in a cargo hold, looking down between his feet. The floor is blood-stained.

“Don´t give me that look, Grianán. I will save you from yourself, no matter what. Even if this means breaking my earlier promises to you.”

Whatever has driven my step-brother to do what he has done: the kidnapping and torture of a princesse du sang are acts of high treason. He will follow me into the Valley of Death any time soon. This knowledge cheers me up immensely.

Finally, my fingers cramp around the amulet I am wearing. I will leave a message behind for Grianán. One that only she will be able to decipher.

There is a disturbance nearby.

Once more I can smell Flor before I see her. She sprints towards us, coming closer. I sense her blind panic.

My smile is genuine.

That I am allowed to see her sorry before my departure into the next world is a bonus.

Luçien turns towards his mother.

Now that his focus is not on me any longer, I take all the strength that is left in me and tear the leather band off my neck. It hurts a big deal.

Finally the leather bursts, leaving a deep cut in my neck.

More blood. My offering to the local moon goddesses. And the Force. I will leave as a warrior after all.

“Luçien! Alezan forgave her!” Flor yells.

Breathing heavily, I leave my special imprint for the most talented medium of token-object reading.

It is a love letter.

It is a war message.

It is my last will and Grianán will be able to do with it as she alone pleases.

My hand sinks down with its precious contents as I see the future shape of the wonderful woman that I have helped to raise.

Malícia - craftiness or stratagem - is like a golden thread in the life of a capoeirista. Grianán is like the snake who waits in her borrow for the right moment to attack. Bote de cobra coral.

Her eyes lock with that of her abductor and torturer.

She can crush his wind pipe with a mortais. She can turn him into ashes with Force lightning. She can use words to break him apart.

In the collapsing world Luçien leaps towards me. While he closes his arms around me the light in my eyes goes out. A shroud of darkness covers me.

“Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!”

I still hear him howling in pain and frustration when a beautiful glittering light takes hold of my heart.

Suddenly, I am out of my body and in a strange place of mirrors and gangways. Voices sound from everywhere.

"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is." - "What is this place?" - "A conduit through which the entire Force of the universe flows." - "Luminous being are we, not this crude matter." - "Just when you think you understand the Force... you find out how actually little you know." - "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear you lose." - "What you need you already have. Unfortunately, you seem to be letting it all go." - "I won´t let him lose his way. Not like I did." - "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It´s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." - "Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force." - "I see your eyes. You already know the truth." - "I am one with the Force, the Force is with me." - "The time to fight is now!" - "Show me..." - "We´ll see each other again." - "... Grandfather." - "I believe that." - "Then I will finish..." - "I won´t lose you, Padmé." - "... what you have started." - "[The Resistance] will not be intimidated by you." - "It is his nature." - "The belonging you seek is not behind you." - "This is our most desperate hour." - "The shadow of greed that is." - "Help me, Obi-Wan-Kenobi. You´re my only hope." - "Let go of everything you fear to lose." - "You never would have made it as Obi-Wan´s padawan. But you might make it as mine." - "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." - "You don´t know the power of the dark side." -

I shrug and walk on, not pausing to look at the mirror images.

From my point of view the future is not written yet. Individuals always change their minds. Actually they do it on a daily basis. Perhaps some choices lead to the light side of the Force, others to much darker places.

Besides, to raise up a child is always like a game of chance.

I only know for certain that my Grianán is a survivor.

In one way or the other revenge will be mine. My step-brother will meet his master. And it will be his undoing.

Darth_Furio and DarthUncle like this.
  24. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Very nice ending. I do have to say, I need to read all that she got from the force, it's quite packed with information (and I have to unpack what I know from alternative realities that I saw play out in earlier versions of your stories ...)

25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle: I almost forgot the monologue. Here we go.

Epilogue:

“This is not fair!” Anakin Skywalker roars straight after he has awaken from his Force trance.

“Life is often not fair, indeed.” A'Sharad Hett, Tusken warrior and Jedi knight, agrees.

“What sort of story is that?” Anakin moves on, his brows drawn together in anger. “It makes no sense at all.”

“True once more, Skywalker. The future makes not much sense at all at times. My honoured ancestor Isabeau Riwalan knew all about it. Yet her yearning for revenge made matters even worse. She made a very unwise decision by leaving her amulet behind.”

“Yes, and I can tell you exactly what is so unwise about it.” Anakin crosses his arms in front of his chest. “She dares to bother people with her life!”

“You would not react this emotional if her story would not have touched you at all,” A'Sharad answers cool and aloof.

“Isabeau was not even the great warrior princess for your people that you claimed she had been.” Anakin raises a fist and shakes it uncontrolled. “It is all a fake.”

“If you truly think so, then you understood nothing at all, Skywalker.”

The eyes of the young man blaze like Force lightening. “For there is nothing to understand at all here. Destroy that thing before somebody else gets a headache after an unwanted mind trip.”

Muttering this Anakin throws the amulet into the sand and strides off into the hot burning midday sun of Aargonar. He leaves a cloud of dust behind him.

A'Sharad shakes his head and turned his bare face towards me. I have seen him without his traditional mask before. But this has been in a much more private environment.

“Honoured ancestor, don´t you think this was all a bit much for him?” he asks me polity.

“Well, A'Sharad, I had to try after all. Even though I knew him to be stubborn, arrogant and a bad learner beforehand.”

“Well met, Isabeau, well met.” A'Sharad breaks out in hearty laughter. Actually he laughs so loud that the annoyed Anakin turns around in the distance to give him a very dark look.

“Such an explosive temper.” I smirk. “Somebody should warn that Padmé before it is too late. Is she pregnant yet? We should stop her getting with child by this man.”

A'Sharad shakes his head gravely. “We agreed that nobody should try to manipulate the future.”

“I had to try.” I insist calmly.

“You did, even though Master Yoda claims that there is no trying.” A'Sharad turns slowly away from me. “You should return to the Force vortex and discuss missed chances with Qui-Gon.”

“When you believe Anakin to be lost, why not stop him right here and right now?”

“I believe in the concept of free will.”

“Even though the entire universe will suffer under his boots?” I raise an eyebrow.

“That will be his choice as well and his alone.” A'Sharad Hett picks up my amulet and hides it underneath his clothing again. “And before you start again, I do not wish to know what my future brings. I will accept it the way it is and make my own choices while I get along.”

With that A'Sharad slowly walks away from me into a future that would be even more bleak than the one that the Skywalker is facing.

It is good to know that there will always be a Skywalker out there helping another. A'Sharad will be in need of a distant family member as much as Anakin will be in need of his children one fine day in a future ...far, far away.

Darth_Furio and pronker like this.