main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legends - Special Edition books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, May 22, 2016.

1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Dissatisfied with the new canon books, most recently Bloodline, I've returned to the EU for excitement and good old fashioned adventure.

I've just finished rereading Heir to the Empire. It occurs to me that we a few very minor changes the Thrawn trilogy could be reincorporated into the new canon. Just delete the mention of twins, delete baby Jaina, and rename baby Jacen to baby Ben.

A couple of date changes in Dark Force Rising and I think your good to go.

I wonder how many other old EU books could easily fit into the new canon?

Darth Plagueis, Darth Vader:Dark Lord, and Shadows of the Empire don't appear to need any changes and still fit nicely.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    More or less everything pre-Battle of Endor is fine. After Endor it gets convoluted. After The Force Awakens it becomes full blown mental breakdown convoluted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

So do you think Ep 8 might be want finally causes you to throw in the towell on trying to put together the one canon deal?

You are right though about the stuff pre Endor though. Infact most of the new canon I have read seems to support most of the ideas of the old republic EU. I wouldn't be surprised if the old republic history of the new canon winds up being pretty similar to the EU old republic era.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am not overly concerned about Episode 8, for some reason. I am engaging with it earlier (rumours and what not), but the setting isn't terribly difficult what with the Empire having minimal involvement in the EU in the same timeframe until Revelation.

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I used to be in the "it's still canon until directly contradicted" camp.

But now I think it's better if they don't mix, with works dipping into Legends as the authors see fit. Too many problems with adding a full Legends books/works, even if (especially?) it's your favorite. Every book will be someone's favorite.

I also like the clean break now, and the tighter meta-narrative, integrated focus.

You can say it all fit before, but it didn't. It was fun trying to make it fit, though. And I appreciated authors who tried to do so.

Still love Legends. Still a good deal of books I haven't read that I eventually will.

But I, personally, think it's better to keep them separate and not recanonized Legends books wholesale. Plus, it will never happen anyway.

For ***** and giggles and for your head Canon, have at it!

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    EU and NEU are separate for me, EU is my story, but NEU characters, planets, aliens, groups and ships, etc will be in the EU. Just living, changed a lot like Kylo, etc. Though will wait until E9 is out and if there is a family relationship between him and Rey and use that. Except not as Skywalker's/Solo's.
    Lor San Tekka is the Mayor of Sernpidal for now in my story.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Here is my theory how Maz Kanata got Luke's lightsaber:

1. Luke loses it after Vader cuts off his hand at Cloud City (EU and NEU)
    2. The Empire recovers it and C'baoth gives it to Luke's clone, Luuke, to use.
    3. Luke gives it to Mara Jade.
    4. Mara Jade gives it to Maz Kanata after she constructs her own lightsaber.

:)

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, yes. That so righteously works for me. =D= =D= Tight and keeps Mara in the mix. [face_love]

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Han asked where did she get that though?
    I would assume that Han would know that Mara had it, unless Mara died or disappeared or something? Or lost it?
    Maybe I'm over thinking things.

10. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Maz did say, "A good question for another time."

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Presumably Mara had to have lost it for Han to react so strongly to it. 'What has happened to Mara?' Could be subtext.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ah, the One Canon rises again.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

I can fic this!

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    JM, are you reading my After the Awakening game in the RPF? It may please you to see Kylo Ren interacting with his little sister Jaina, and more besides. Set two weeks after TFA, in the merged universe I'm using?

15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Ahh, we've been asking the wrong question this whole time. Instead of "hashtag where is Luke", we should have been asking where is Mara? ;)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Looking after the son he abandoned to go into exile?

EDIT: Sod it, I'm going to put this under a spoiler tag. From Chapter Four of my After the Awakening game, set two weeks after TFA.

Chapter Four

Now.

Mara Jade Skywalker was not the happiest person in the galaxy. Neither was her son, Ben Skywalker. Mara understood the need of Luke to get away. She really did. But it had been years now, and Mara had been left holding the baby. Literally.

Talon Karrde stepped up beside her as Mara watched Ben, now pushing on for eight years old, playing with some kind of holographic that Booster had set up, being as the Errant Venture had been almost permanently the location of the Jedi children whose training had been abandoned by firstly Luke, and then the Council, unable to agree on anything. Slowly but surely the children had, where possible, gone home, and Talon had done his best to protect them with new identities and so far. But now a war was afoot? The Council would be needed.

What Council, though?

Clighal was feared dead in the Hosnian disaster as the Senator of Mon Calamari. Kyp had gone off on some foolhardy crusade and not been heard from since he crossed the Remnant border. Kyle had gone on his own mission to find Luke with his apprentices, former and current, and nobody had seen him for a year. Corran came and went from the Venture, as when either could track each other down, as much as Mara did. Tresina had vanished into the underworld, and Saba had last been sighted on her homeworld, assisting in the recovery of her species, but that was years ago now, what with the warren nature of the planet. Kam and Tionne checked in from time to time, well, Tionne did, but not for the last two years. Jacen was still missing, and Jaina had vanished on her own scheme to track down Ben Solo.

'Is it true?' Mara said, to Talon, though not taking her eyes off Ben.

'About Han?' Talon sighed. 'Rey confirmed it to Leia, but she's vanished with Ackbar, and Chewie has gone with Rey into the Unknown Regions. The only other witness was this Finn guy, but he's still in a coma.'

'So you don't know.'

'My network has been hit by this chaos as much as anyone else.'

Mara nodded, more to herself than anything. 'I hear my lightsaber turned up?'

'In the possession of Maz, I gather.' Talon continued, into the answer to the obvious question. 'She's vanished after her place was wrecked by the First Order.'

'So we're on the outside of this.'

'I can easily find you some troopers to knock down or a Star Destroyer to take on, but I couldn't tell you if it would achieve anything. My ciphers into the HoloNet are being locked down, and there is no central government for me to tap into. Kalenda hasn't appeared and the NRI is wrecked. Sovv has sequestered himself on Sullust but he's too far away from the action to have a real impact. The First Fleet is gone, and the Second Fleet is shredded. A lot of vessels are being recalled to their home sectors, and so there isn't a NRDF to rally.'

'So it's in Leia's hands?'

'Leia and whoever she manages to pull together.'

Mara squared her shoulders. 'I'm going out there.'

Talon didn't say anything. 'Ben will be safe here.'

'No he won't,' said Mara. 'But if I don't do this, he won't be safe anywhere ever again.'

17. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

My version...
    4. Mara Jade dies immediately after leaving Rey on Jakku, running an Imperial blockade. (Luke assumes both are dead).
    5. A salvager finds the lightsaber in the debris of the resulting battle. He trades it to a smuggler and it gets passed around the underworld for awhile.
    6. Maz gets the lightsaber and IDs it as Luke's, then keeps it in safekeeping.

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Goood. Goood.

Now I keep picturing an awkward scene between Luke and Leia. "So, you guys also want to name your child Ben..."

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Has anyone noticed at their book store lately that the EU books are receiving new cover art and are a heck of a lot thicker in their new reprint format (even though they're the same height and width as they were previously)?

20. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

The ones I noticed were the Han Solo Adventures and the Lando Calrissian Adventures; the Han Solo trilogy covers are essentially the same, although the color around the binding and the back is different (I think); the Thrawn Trilogy covers are essentially the same, although the font for the title and author are a little different.

22. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    The first one I noticed was The New Rebellion, because it seemed about 1.5x fatter than mine at home. Then I noticed it had a different cover format then the EU version version I have (or the ones I had seen more recently in the book store with the Legends banner). I thought maybe they had put the Legends novels into the NEU paperback format (tall and skinny), but it was the same height and width as before. I thought they must have added some content so I checked the first and last paragraphs for text, didn't find additional content and verified with my copy at home the first and last paragraphs were the same. So I assume they must have changed the font, quite a bit to be as fat as it was. Then I noticed a few of the other Legends novels had new cover formats and seemed thicker, although I can't remember exactly which ones I saw.

23. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Here's an example:

[​IMG]

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Different grade of paper can make all the difference needed.

JABoomer likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    So can that morally repugnant banner.