main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Legends" titles that have been deemed Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master Agoraphobia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not really sure what the difference between Plagueis being a Neimoidian and Plagueis being a Muun would be. The latter worked well enough, after all.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Also: It wasn't a Neimoidian per se. It was unclaimed Nemoidian concept art.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Here's the thing...

Officially. None of it is canon and ever will be again. Authors will mention old stories and conflicts in new tales that gives them some legitimacy, but one cannot assume any unmentioned details to be true until a source book further clarifies it. We know Mandalorian Crusaders were shown on paintings in Clone Wars. We know Sith Empires once held plenty of slaves. We know "Moraband" had temples which greatly resembled the valley of the dead and was indeed the Sith homeworld.

We don't know any details beyond that. All the previous history either could still be true, or could be gone altogether. All we know for sure is what nucanon material tells us.

Now, does that mean old ideas are automatically gone? No. Many elements have returned since the reboot in fashions very similar to their old. Thrawn still exists and is generally the same character but has a slightly different history. Bounty hunters still helped train the clones. The entire Sifo-Dyas story, while modified, did make it into the show with a roughly similar series of events. Even Pablo's comments about it contradicting Plagueis are silly when it actually directly mentions details that the novel first discussed (specifically the idea that Sifo-Dyas ordered the army because he had a vision about the war coming that the Council ignored).

In short, sometimes facts as were presented in the EU still remain true and later nucanon vindicates them. Sometimes it doesn't. Take your pick whether you want the clean slate approach or preserver approach in your personal canon. Just know that only the former is "official", but the latter may well still influence authors.

vong333 and jakobitis89 like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I can picture it now re: Plagueis:

"That's no Muun. That's a Sith Lord."
    "It's too cowardly to be a Sith Lord."

:p

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    right they will not re-canonize legend stories which is sad. RotS novlization, Shadows of Mindor, Plegieus, Kenobi, SotE, are all lost as canon. freaking shame. BUT they are recanonizing characters and locations. That is good news. Though I fear Rebels will ruin Thrawn

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Has Dave Filoni borrowed anything from Legends that he put in Rebels thus far that people think he has ruined compared to their Legends counterpart?

7. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I can't think of anything from Rebels off the top of my head, but a lot of people were disappointed in The Clone Wars' take on Ryloth, Asajj Ventress, Quinlan Vos, and several other things borrowed from the EU.

Talos156, spicer, jakobitis89 and 2 others like this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, it was never really clear whether it was Lucas or Filoni who changed things from the EU, since it was ostensibly Filoni's show, but Lucas had the final say on everything.

Ewoklord likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The way I understood it was, back in the day George Lucas would hear or see something created in the EU (now Legends) like Aayla Secura or Quinlan Vos, and he was, "Cool, put that in my movie." without any thought of how it would affect any existing EU story because he didn't think the EU stories were official because they weren't his stories.

Now, with George Lucas gone, Disney/Lucasfilm/Kathleen Kennedy declares EU = Legends which now gives them carte blanche to take whatever they want and repurpose it.

Is that the correct line of thought?

Therefore, with that said, I'm "new" to the Lit forum as I never read any of the EU material. I heard about Han and Leia's kids, and the death of Chewy, and Thrawn and all that, but I had no vested interest, therefore I hope I don't come off as a jerk but since I have no frame of reference of what existed before then I have had no problem with what Dave Filioni and his team have done thus far with what they have borrowed. I don't agree with ALL the choices he and his team have made, but that's a different topic.

Also with that said, I have read all the new canon material in comic book form, and if they decide to declare that Legends material, I would be a very unhappy person.

10. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    You're pretty much correct. Although George did give input on the EU stories to varying degrees. He also supported their existence more than Disney did, but he never personally considered them canon ever since he started the PT. It could be argued that he may have viewed them as more legitimate 'before' the PT came about (early 90s), but it's clear he saw them as the "other universe" he discussed in some interviews later on. One he could pick and choose ideas from. Early interviews from him in the 90s however had him viewing things like Dark Empire and the Thrawn trilogy as the legitimate episodes 7-9. Obviously that wasn't meant to be.

The NuCanon approach is more or less that with any pre-reboot EU. However, NuCanon material is all considered official on the same level now. Doesn't mean there won't still be contradictions and retcons, but at least for now there is more collaboration between all departments. Sort of.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Complete Locations might qualify as a "legends title that has been deemed canon" seeing as it appears to be being rereleased with hardly any changes besides the new TFA locations. We'll have to wait and see what changes if any are made - but previews have shown errors from the original, carrying over.

Anakin's podracer is still being described as having overheated at Jett's Chute rather than Arch Canyon, for example:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inside_the_Worlds_of_Star_Wars:_Episode_I

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I still think that the old legends stuff is important and while it may not be all legit in new canon, its not something that I will turn away. The new stuff will be good over time, but even the old stuff can't be forgotten. I still like those novels like Shatterpoint, Revenger of the Sith, Labyrinth of Evil, Shadows of Mindor, etc. There very good and can't be forgotten and to discard them would not be right.

13. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Again, I really do follow a 'personal' policy of assume true until told otherwise for anything before Rebels and at least some material from the OT era. I explicitly assume it to be true for nearly all characters who aren't the solo twins. Mara Jade still is out there somewhere IMHO, even if her story is now different. Worlds which don't match their original descriptions are just the brother world on the other end of that star system. And Mandalore sure as hell ain't all a desert too me. It is also impossible for me to not see the KOTOR era material as canon until they explicitly come out with something that overrides it entirely. Not just the name of another ancient jedi world, but new works set in the ancient era.

So far I'd say I've been rewarded fairly well for this optimism despite the reboot.

14. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I agree... until there is a new and confirmed version of anything that happened, we may as well assume the old version still applies. Absolutely nothing about KOTOR and that time period is going to have much impact on stuff hundreds of years later so it seems pretty safe to assume Revan and co. did their thing just as we saw before.