main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming From Bricks to Buttons: The LEGO Star Wars Discussion Thread [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jun 4, 2004.

1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    You can play as a variety of characters, rather than just the Story Mode guys (such as either Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan in the first TPM level). You can flip between these characters with the L1 and R1 buttons. Not sure how many you get...maybe 8 or so.

You also lose most of the cut-scenes. Shame on the one hand that you can't have, say, Darth Maul trying to buy a hyperspace generator from Watto in a cut-scene, but it does speed things up a lot when you're replaying a level - and you'll be doing that, to get all the Lego Canisters.

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I just played the PC demo. When I first heard about this game, I was pretty dismissive. Dumb idea, I thought. I saw the trailer and thought it looked kinda fun, and the demo confirmed that. This game is just good, cheap, clean fun, in a way very reminiscant of classic platform games of the Donkey Kong Country vein. And as someone who played with Lego from the earliest remembered moments of childhood, I had the tendency to geek out occasionally in a "wheee, that's so cool, it's made of LEGO!" kind of way :p

I don't know if I'd pay full price (90 bucks Australian) for it, but if I see it at a discounted or otherwise cheaper price, I would definitely consider getting the full version, because I'm sold on it. Lots of fun.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    J_S - you can also buy characters such as Jango and Maul once you have defeated them. (Go to Dex's Diner to the 'Characters' section to see the price for each). You can then use them in Freeplay mode. (Jango is fun..)

4. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I saw that you can purchase characters...that looks like a cool thing.

man...the Pod Race was really difficult at first.

Was playing that level with my daughter...but we couldn't figure out which one was which at first.

so I dropped her out...so that I could go on my own.

a bit easier. But beating Sebulba was rather hard, because I think they shorted us about 3 - 5 seconds.

Got 9 of the cannisters on that level...but had no clue where the 10th was.

the thing I like about this game, is that it is relatively easy for my 4 year old to play. She has trouble with the jumping and all...but nothing that I can't help with.

I still could not get that cannister on Naboo that was below the ledge. My guess is that Jango is needed for that.

It's the scene after you save Jar Jar, and you are on the canyon ledges.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If it's the one I think it is, you go back in Freeplay mode and use either boy Anakin or boy Boba to go down the chute and get the cannister. That is their special ability - going down/up chutes. There are a few places
    I have found so far where they are used like that.
    And the pod race was a Sith! I need to go back and replay it to get the stuff but I am delaying that.

6. 501

501 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2005
    Hopefully you'll get to it.

7. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    ahh...ok.

thanks for the heads up.

I guess me and my daughter will finish the story mode first...then we can go back to get the other stuff after the fact.

she loves playing with Padme

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I've replayed the Pod Race quite a bit. It's a lot of fun when you know exactly where to go. You can finish it all in one go, which is even better as it feels like the film...the trickiest bit by far is the last Tusken Raider section, with those fallen rocks all over the place and the massive amounts of firepower.

9. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    Those rocks are far easier to dodge with one player as the 2nd player may find it harder to dodge rocks.

My favourite flying level is the episode 3 one.
    All I can say is wow. I was totally blown away by this level and couldn't believe that everything is made of lego.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I finally managed to get Jar Jar to make that jump on level 1 - got the last Lego canister on that level. That felt good! I'm still missing 1 on level 2 though - will have to try again.
    Also I caught a review of the game on Game Network here earlier and they gave it a 9 out of 10.

11. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    my daughter and I completed the movies in Story mode.

we started going thru Free Play to get all the cannisters...but there is one that I just could not reach at all.

it is the one that you have to jump and get into the vent, because it is behind a force field...I think section 1 or 2 of the Negotiations level.

I tried for like 10 - 15 minutes to get Jar Jar into that vent...but I couldn't.

I NEED HELP/ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Pod racing with two players is fun...but yeah, dodging becomes a b*tch.

13. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm stuck on the General Grevious level of Star Wars Lego - I have no idea where to go after your first little fight with him! There's a place that Obi-Wan can jump to, but all the stuff there is things for the clonetrooper's special gun thingy, only I can't work out a way for him to get there, so is there something terribly obvious I'm missing? Not that I'm the one playing it, of course, I'm asking on my nephew's behalf. Ahem.

Thank you! :D

14. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    When GG moves up on the cliffs you have to use the gun to make the little containers explode to get him back down on the main platform.

He jumps onto a ledge with no exploding container. when you get to this point there is a container in the wall, use Obi Wan force move, to move the container over to the ledge he's on then blast it.

Also there is a section the clone trooper can use his graple gun to get up on the cliffs.

15. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    Dont know if you got the hidden one on the 2nd episode I level but after you blow that tank up blocking the path there is one hidden in the tree to the left.

You have to smack the branches with your saber and itll come popping out.

The negotiations one, you need anaking or boba for *I think*

the canister in the ledge, there is a level you push that makes a little ledge come out you can jump on to get it.

16. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    I got the ledge to make the jump...and I can get the jump high enough to be at the Vent height...but I cannot get into the vent itself.

and since you cannot unlock the special level without all the cannisters...I'm screwed until I can get him into that vent.

I know that you have to let Jar Jar land for the 2nd jump, to get him high enough.

and what is the purpose of that little lego car that you can use the force on?

17. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    The essential character list for collecting canisters:

Maul [dark force user]
    C-3P0 [or silver guy :p]
    R2D2 [astromech droid]
    Boba [or lil anakin]
    Grievous [high jumper]
    Captain Panaka [grappler]

two more.... hold on...

I guess you normally get a battle droid and some other useless character, but those are the ones.

I don't know... thought I'd say something...

*runs*

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Satimber, getting that canister is frustrating as heck, but you really just have to get one of the high-jumping characters (Jar Jar, Grievous or his guards) to get in there. It *can* be done, but it's very tricky.

19. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    I'm playing the pc version, and there's a couple of places where I'm just stuck with what to do -

Ep3 - fighting Grievous, after I've shot the first two canisters on his level, build the bridge, jump up and use the Force to take some bricks to build a little box on my level - then I can't figure out what to do next. There's a thing next to Grievous I know I'm supposed to shoot, but I can't get up high enough, and can't jump anywhere.

Ep2 - the Fight with Jango, at the end of getting across all the holes he blows up, I can't get across the last gap.

Ep1 - Darth Maul, jumping around those walkways, then there a couple of blue ones you have to pull out with the Force, but I still can't jump over far enough to land on them.

Any help??

:(

20. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    i am unsure on the ep1 and ep3 qs, but for episode 2 you need to be someone who can hover (i.e. R4/R2/Jango etc) to get over the gap.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - use R4 to get past the gaps on the Jango/Kamino level.
    J_S - I had the hardest time getting JarJar to do that jump, but after some hints earlier in this thread I finally got him to do it.

22. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Satimber, getting that canister is frustrating as heck, but you really just have to get one of the high-jumping characters (Jar Jar, Grievous or his guards) to get in there. It *can* be done, but it's very tricky.

my daughter miraculously made the jump today before I came into work.

she was just messing around...and I looked up, and she got in.

the power of a 4 year old who can listen to what I say....sometimes.

Still have a lot of work to do to get the rest of the cannisters though.

23. hyanda

hyanda Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2005

Ep3 - ...then I can't figure out what to do next. There's a thing next to Grievous I know I'm supposed to shoot, but I can't get up high enough, and can't jump anywhere.

Ep1 - Darth Maul, jumping around those walkways, then there a couple of blue ones you have to pull out with the Force, but I still can't jump over far enough to land on them.

EP3 - Use Commander Cody (the white solder) to stand on the lego block, and make a jump shoot to the thing next to Grievous.

EP1 - no need to stand on those thing to defeat Darth Maul. Leave these to Jar-Jar.

24. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Thanks for that - have to try those out :)

25. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    so last night...my daughter and I completed TPM in Free Mode, after getting all of the Cannisters and Studs needed.