main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lego Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Koohii, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    So, I'm stuck on the final battle of year one.

All the walk-throughs say "use the (telekinetic) spell to send the skulls back at your enemy". Great. Wow. Helpful advice. The only problem is that it doesn't &*%&^%&^$%&*&^*($%^&*^&*ing work! By the time I can lock onto a skull, it either hits me or the wall. And If I set up and wait, it doesn't even give me the option. So how the %^#$%^$ am I supposed to send it back. Just from constantly dieing, I've gone from 38K studs to 0.

This isn't fun. There seems to be no point to trying.

Anyone have any useful suggestions? (Aside from throw the game away--you know, something that might make the game worth contiuing by actually making the level workable.)

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Make sure you have Wingardium Leviosa selected and stand fairly close to Voldemort. You should be able to grab them as they're thrown. It is easy after you've done it once.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    IIRC, it is a very similar battle to the one you have against Darth Maul in the last level of the TPM part of Lego Star Wars. He flings stuff at you, you grab it and throw it back. Nothing too difficult about it.

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Helps when the person playing isn't dead tired and pushing the wrong damn button...

Well, now I have a different problem.
    I've finished all the missions, found all the students, found all the crests, bought all the buy-ables, and in short, done everything I can, but I'm short 2 gold bricks.
    Read the walkthroughs, still can't find them.
    There's one person I can't buy, because he's unlocked with Bonus level 11 (funny how IGN's walkthrough only details bonus levels 1-10). Even with the Gold Brick Detector on, I cannot even find out what room the bricks are in. I've done the clock-backs to the past, found rooms I didn't know existed and got those bricks, but I cannot find the last two. Not even the arrows of the detectors are showing up.
    No clue. Read the walk-through on IGN, and as far as I can tell, I've done them all.

Only thing I haven't been able to do is the "Build" version of bonus levels 5-10 because honestly, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them. Haven't found a walk-through yet that explains what these are for.

So, Now what?

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So, I went and mapped out the entire Hogwarts, then went through the walkthrough instructions marking all the bricks there.
    Turns out that while I'd solved the puzzel in the timeclock Gryphindoor dorm, I hadn't picked up the brick. Something to do with the arrow pointing at the basket in the center of the room instead of inside the chest where it actually was.
    Now I've gone to each location mentioned, and doublechecked everything.
    Seems I'm somehow still missing one brick.

The Gold Brick detector is on, but the arrows never show up.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Need to find the last brick to get to the bonus level...

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    OK, I went through every bloody room
    No gold brick.

Either I have a glitched game, or somehow it just glitched this time, and if I play again it will straighten itself out.

Anyone else ever encountered this problem?

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't have my game on hand but I do recall there being one brick I could never get. It was somewhere around the moving staircase. I figured I couldn't get it because I missed it earlier in the game and couldn't access it after a certain point.

So I guess that's technically a glitch, but it didn't really bother me for that long.

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Is that the brick at the top?
    There's some junk up there(which due to angle you can't see) that you have to blast and it does something with the painting (I didn't see it because I was down a level) which opens that one.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    OK, so I guess I play again, this time keeping track of each brick as I get it.

Really annoying, but seems to be the only way to unlock the last bonus level.
    And since I'm going to be rendering 4000 frames with Maya anyway... Shouldn't take more than 14 hours...

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    4000 frames? Damn. Anyway I got hold of my game and I didn't check the stairs but I did go to the library section and noticed a few conflicting arrows pointing toward a gold brick. Nothing I did seemed to make it appear. I hope it has nothing to do with the fact that I avada kedavra'd some of the characters there. That was before I knew that doing so was permanent.:oops:

I also remembered the really annoying glitch that keeps you out of the Gryffindor common room if you do a certain thing wrong.[face_frustrated] Looking back this game was fun but really easy to glitch up or make 100% completion impossible.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I finished the story last night, thought it was rather good. I think I'll go round Hogwarts to get everything there before I go back and redo the missions.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Conflicting arrows at the same time? That sounds like one of those "hit all 4 pieces" puzzles.
    If the arrow keeps going in different places, it isn't in that room, but near by. From the hallway outside the dorm rooms, I was getting arrows from the Owlry. Go figure.

Replayed storymode for the first 2 years.

Still have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the builder levels 5-10. What's the goal?

Have to say I'm tempted to watch the movies again, and I didn't really like them that much. Not because they weren't the same as the books (so I've heard), but I'm about 30 years older than the target audience, and didn't like the first book.
    And it might be fun or interesting at least to help appreciate the game. (Who ARE these characters I keep unlocking???)

So yeah, the game is fun. And this time you can have multiple saved games instead of over-writing each time.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Let me correct that.
    There are two paintings of Quiddich players on the stairway. You zap one and it throws the ball to the other. You zap that one and it throws the ball up to the dog in the painting at the top of the stairs. Go up to the top, and the bone the dog was playing with before the ball arrived turns into the brick.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    OK, second time through.
    Seem to have found everything except one of the students in peril. Which counts as a brick.
    Which means... I still can't play the bonus level.
    And the Gold Brick detector doesn't seem to be doing the job, because I'm not seeing the nice arrows that are supposed to be providing a clue.

Did this game ship prematurely by any chance? I'm noticing a lot more bugs and glitches than, say, Lego Batman, or any of the Lego StarWars games.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm needing a character that can do Dark Magic, but I'm not sure where to find them. Any help on this one?

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    The screen of "Follow the Spiders", when you are fighting the giant bug, one of the chests contains Lucious Malfoy. Don't know if you need the spell that destroyes shiney to unlock it or not.

In the room of Hogwarts with the giant snake statue, you need the aging potion to get the gold brick up on the ledge. Keep going past that, and there's a chest which does have a shiney lock. Inside is Prof Snape.

In Tom Riddle's Diary, one of the characters you can collect is, naturally, Tom Riddle.

Other characters I can think of include Macnab, DeathEaters... Um, I think that may be it. Probablly one or two I missed.

Malfoy is kinda neat to watch for a while, with his wand-cane. Um, why can't the cane just be the wand? Why does he need to hide a wand in his cane? Seems a little silly... Oh, wait, This is Harry Potter...

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think the wand-cane idea comes from sword-canes and other hidden sword ideas. That certainly fits in with his character, I think.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, but wouldn't it make more sense to have... an actual sword in there, and the whole cane is the wand?

Again, JKR's ideas...

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yes, except that it's illegal to carry swords in the UK. :p

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Only if you get caught...
    Which is why it is concealed...

And actually, the police in the US can get on your case for carrying a sword here. Though they tend to ignore RenFaire events.

EDIT: It turns out the student-in-peril I was missing was the first one in the Gryphindoor common room! D'OH!!!. Interesting note: even though you get a gold brick for each one you rescue, S-i-P do not show up on the gold brick detector.
    And the game walk-through on IGN is full of inaccuracies, and poorly organized. What did they do? Hire the C-team? Compare the LegoHP walkthroughs to the ones for SWSaga, Batman, or Indianna Jones.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I go to gamefaqs.com for my walkthroughs. Never had a problem there.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, I have to say I am very disappointed.
    Not with the game. The game is fun.
    No, the problem is the fact that the game is so incrediblly glitched!
    OK first, the first time I played the whole way through, there was a Gold Brick I was missing, except I'd collected all of them, so there was no way I could find what I'd already collected.
    Second time through, it played alright.
    I tried a third time (over-writing the first game), and in one level, I cannot collect the crest piece, even though I solved the puzzle. The piece does not appear, so the crest cannot be completed, so I cannot unlock the bonus level. No point in bothering to finish all the way through. Also, my screen has been blacking out a lot--not the monitor--the monitor complains that there is no signal. Just in the middle of play, it goes black. Fortunately, I wasn't in dangerous situations at the times.
    Many of the detector arrows point in wrong or misleading directions.
    There's the room with the snake statue (the big one you need the goblin to turn) that has a gold brick behing an age-blocker field and where you unlock Snape. Twice when walking along the back ledge, my character suddenly shot 20 stories into the air. It took the camera several seconds to track the movement. Fortunately, I was able to keep walking and get back down.
    The Great Hall Foyer is the most obvious case of this: shadows of people showing up on the ground below where they are walking: character on a balcony casting a shadow through that floor to the floor below.
    Now, they have solved several problems. I used to get very annoyed when I could not collect studs because the animation was busy telling me where to go next, and the studs evaporated. This doesn't happen anymore. If the game 'needs' to show you something, the expiration timer is delayed. On the other hand, if you need to collect or destroy 2, 3,4, 5, 6, or 9 parts of something, The arrows for the ones you've collected stay there. Is that supposed to Help???
    Quality Control and game testing obviously got short changed in this. Was the game rushed out for some movie deadline?

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I can honestly say that I've never had any of those problems that you've described. What platform are you playing it on and how? I bought a physical copy for my 360.

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    PS3.
    How? I bought the game, put the disk in the machine, selected it from the menu system, and pushed start a couple of times with the controller. How else do you play?

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, you could have bought it as a download rather than a physical copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.