main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LEGO Star Wars: TFA contributions to canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Jun 29, 2016.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Hello everyone -

The new LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens game came out yesterday. I received my copy for the PS4 in the mail. I wanted to start a discussion about the game's contributions to canon. I know a lot of people/sources simply dismiss LEGO as not part of canon, but my belief is that this game's original bonus missions are an exception. My personal feeling is that all events/characters/planets are canon but not necessarily the "LEGO-style" the stories are told in. These are the bonus missions currently available in the game:

Rathtar Hunting
    Hired by King Prana to capture three rathtars, Han Solo and his crew travel to Twon Ketee, where a colony of the dangerous creatures is known to reside.
    Awaiting to assist them there is a group of grizzled mercenaries, hired for their expertise. But despite their skills, the hunters will have to tread carefully if they are not to become the prey....

Lor San Tekka's Return
    After visiting an Ottegan enclave, Lor San Tekka has obtained clues to the location of Luke Skywalker from the Sacred Order of Ramulus. All that remains now is to get the information to the Resistance before the First Order can intervene, and so a meeting has been arranged on the desert planet of Jakku....

Poe to the Rescue
    The brave Resistance movement struggles in its valiant fight against the dreaded First Order.
    Unaware that the First Order has constructed a deadly superweapon, the Resistance must now rescue one of its most important leaders, who is being held prisoner aboard an enemy Star Destroyer....

The Crimson Corsair
    In order to rescue one of their most important members from the clutches of the First Order, the Resistance have need of a very specific ship. They turn to a crew of enterprising freebooters led by the Sidon Ithano, aka the Crimson Corsair, to retrieve it.
    Having located their objective in a First Order facility on Kerroc, the Crimson Corsair and his crew cautiously approach the inhospitable planet....

Ottegan Assault
    An Ottegan enclave on the planet Arthon have bravely assisted the Resistance in their search for Luke Skywalker. Using the Great Eye of Kalur they have mapped his location and given the only copy of the data to Lor San Tekka.
    But the First Order are also seeking Luke Skywalker and have dispatched a Star Destroyer to Arthon. Owing them a great debt, the Resistance sends ships to help evacuate the peaceful Ottegans....

Trouble Over Taul
    The First Order is desperate to locate the main base of operation of the Resistance. Believing that they have located a high profile Resistance ship in the vicinity of the planet Taul, they have sent a strike force after them to extract the information.
    Detecting the approaching threat and hoping to evade capture, the Resistance crew risks everything and flees into the treacherous asteroid belt surrounding the planet....

In addition to these missions, I know the PS4 version of the game will eventually receive the "Phantom Limb" bonus mission, which I expect to closely mirror the events seen in the C-3PO comic. Taul is without a doubt the planet on which that comic's events take place.

There is more to say but I'd like to say but I would like to hear everybody's thoughts before I chime in some more.

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The Crimson Corsair one bothers me, as it means the Corsair aids the Resistance just before heading to Takodana, just before the Resistance shows up to fight off the First Order. It'd be kinda like throwing Han Solo into Rogue One, just a couple days before he gets roped into rescuing the princess to whom the plans were sent. IMO he & his crew shouldn't be aiding the Resistance at all in the days preceding TFA...too much of this will turn Maz's bar into another "Tales from the Cantina" where everyone's aiding one side or the other (and we already have Resistance & FO informants identified there thanks to the film!)

BobaMatt likes this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I actually also think that these missions are going to turn out to be the 'Lego depiction' of canonical equivalents. They're heavily using old EU and TFA VD stuff in here which wouldn't make sense to do if it wasn't supposed to at least 'parallel' a canonical story, and delaying the Threepio comic to tie into this would be the first logical reason for delaying the comic I've heard.

Plus, the "Great Eye of Kalur" thing kind of sounds like the Jedi-finding "Mirror" rumor about Episode VII from back in 2014, so if there was at any point a "Mirror" that was in some scrapped draft of TFA, it would make sense for the to reuse the concept since it seems like every unused concept has to get recycled now.

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I've actually been playing this game today, and it's rather fun. It's actually a better feeling game than Battlefront. There's Rogue Squadron-esque piloting sections (both on-rails and free flying), baby's first third-person-shooter sections, and the usual sort of Lego-tie-in game shenanigans of hitting all of the boxes until the studs fall out. I don't know for sure, but I think that they got at least some of the cast back to reprise their roles, as well as pulling plenty of dialogue straight from the movie itself.

But the best part is the humor. Almost nothing about the story is played straight. Right from the get-go, there's a prologue level that retells the battle of Endor, and at the end when Luke goes to see the three Jedi ghosts Anakin looks somewhere between Sebastian Shaw and Hayden Christensen. And then Darth Vader shows up as a ghost as well, only for it to be Qui-Gon clowning around in a costume.

It's a very lore-heavy game oddly enough, with appearances by all sorts of members of the TFA supporting cast (though no Constable Zuivo that I've seen yet) and a lot more dialogue than in the movie to actually flesh out the story. It wouldn't really surprise me if all of the sub-missions mentioned above are told elsewhere in more "true" canon fashion, because basically everything else in the game follows the canon depictions (albeit with the usual Lego zaniness).

5. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I remember reading on the press-release that they worked together with the story group to the tell the real stories before TFA, in my opinion these ones are too elaborate to be invented by the Lego team, the proof is the mission of rescuing C3PO which will be the same one on the comics.

These are canon for me, we will see if the future comics intervene with them.

6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    The bit about Lor San Tekka is interesting as there was a lot of discussion post-movie about how close he was located to Rey and just happened to have the map to Luke.

7. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yea, i think at the moment these are non canon adaptations of canon events that have not yet taken place in canon material.

8. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I completely agree. For the Trouble Over Taul mission in particular, it is quite obvious that it leads directly into the C-3PO one-shot comic "The Phantom Limb" from earlier this year (which itself will be a LEGO bonus mission eventually).
    • Taul is a planet pulled from Legends, having appeared in a couple of Star Wars Adventure Journals. Taul is described as having an acidic atmosphere and being swampy. That's a perfect description of the planet we see in the C-3PO comic.
    • Also, O-MR1 is a character in the LEGO mission. This is obviously Omri from the same C-3PO comic.

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Revisiting this after playing through most of the story missions in the game, I thing Trouble over Taul is probably my favorite. You play as Captain Phasma and FN-2199 and get to raid a Resistance ship (one of those models from KotOR that recently appeared in Rebels), trying to grab the location of the Resistance Base before the ship crashes into the planet. In the end, you get out, but you leave your own droid O-MR1 behind along with C-3PO and a mess of other droids as the ship crashes on the planet.

Another great one is Lor San Tekka's return, which is basically him and Athgar Heece, a local scavenger, bantering as they make their way from Niima Outpost to the village where he's going to rendevous with Poe. I can't say enough about the writing in this game, it's shockingly good and does a great job not only capturing the characters but also fleshing them out. Lor San and Athgar hint at a lot of previous adventures that they've been on in their lives, and it really makes me want to hear more.

All of the bonus missions are preludes to the events of the film, showing different events that put all of the players into their positions. Another fun one is Ottegan Assault, which is basically Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma laying waste to an Ottegan colony in search of information about Lor San Tekka's whereabouts. Again, the writing is really good in that, while both characters are pretty deadpan, they actually have good chemistry and some legitimately funny lines.

EDIT: I just realized apropos of the above bonus mission what I want the upcoming Visceral Studios/ Amy Hennig Star Wars game to be - Lor San Tekka looking for Jedi relics. It could legitimately be Uncharted in Star Wars, they have a character all set up for it now.

10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Oops, wrong thread.

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I think ALL these bonus missions will be appear canon wise in a second volume of the short story collection Tales From The Force Awakens.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Fleet Junkie in me was curious to see that the Resistance starship in Trouble over Taul was an old Hammerhead-class corvette of the same type we see in Rebels. Good to see that the Resistance is even more stretched for resources than the Rebellion. :p

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The Resistance has KOTOR ships? YESSSSSS.

Edit: Oh, I started playing LEGO TFA and so far I'm loving it. Love the extra lines of dialogue they got Boyega, Ridley, and the others to record. I'm not very far in yet but I'll make statements on the potential for canon introductions and such as I get farther in. I do love that Wedge got an appearance in the Battle of Endor.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    How is Wedge & Endor referenced in the game?

--Adm. Nick

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I've been saying for a while that a "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" style series about Lor San Tekka would be lovely.

Barriss_Coffee and Vthuil like this.
  16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

The prologue is the Battle of Endor (it gives you a feel for the ground combat, lightsaber duel, and space combat aspects of the game), and the dialogue is ripped straight from ROTJ. Wedge gets one line, "We're going in" or whatever he said as they went into the Death Star core. It was just Dennis Lawson's line reused from the film. He's also seen hugging Luke at the Endor party, just like in the movie (though for some reason he has his Hoth outfit on). Ackbar is also featured and gets his famous "It's a trap!" line. For some reason, one of his Mon Cal lieutenants is seen carrying a tray of...fish...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait Wedge is in the game for a few seconds, Dennis Lawson's voice is in the game, and Luke and Wedge's bromance is there as well? I need to get this game then.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Royal Guards not witness Palpatine being Sidious, they actively defend Sidious. However, they also cry when they witness Luke's conversation with unmasked Vader, so I'm not sure if their role in the game canonizes Royal Guards knowing that Palpatine = Sidious.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I think Lords of the Sith would be a much more logical choice for answering that question. :p

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Still yet to figure out why JEJ's lines from ROTJ aren't used.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Same for McDiarmid's lines.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Casualties of war.

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So is fried fish the Mon Calamari version of cremation?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

And he's an unlockable playable character for free play mode, I believe.

vncredleader likes this.
  25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Shame you can't unlock TFA Luke in this game. LFL probably don't want us finding out what colour lightsaber he has ;)