main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Leia’s Force Use in Space - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Garth Maul, Jan 6, 2018.

?

Did you enjoy Flying Force Leia in The Last Jedi?

1. I'm Mary Poppins, y'all! (I loved it)

101 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. Cool idea, poor execution.

45 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No feelings either way.

12 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Flying Leia is bad & Johnson should feel bad.

61 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Lots of talk about Leia showing off her Force powers in The Last Jedi, particularly the space scene.

Just wanted to do a poll to see where people stand.

I actually loved it.

2. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    I was fine with it, i dont know why everyone is flipping out about it.

Yeah, when she got back and the door opened and no one seemed to care that they could be sucked out was bad, but Leia using the force a bit was fine.

And she should've saved Ackbar.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  3. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    The only one that was positive was "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" so I chose that. I loved seeing Leia use the Force and in such a complex way. It's fitting that she'd be skilled in using the Force but not want to go the Jedi route. The scene portrayed that well.

Strongbow likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As I’ve said before, I loved it. It was one of my favourite scenes and just looked beautiful. I also loved the fact that we got to see something new with the Force that we’d never seen before, which happened on several occasions in this film.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  5. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    It came in completely natural to me and I loved it. The score was on point, and we have never seen such a scene in Star Wars before. It was powerful in the way it is executed, like come on, Leia in space, pulling herself back, and Finn, Poe and Rose looking out at our 'hope' who is Leia herself.

6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Voted “cool idea, poor execution”.

Also, as much as I like seeing Leia using the Force, I really wished it was done in a way that helped/saved others and not just to save herself. Perhaps my biggest issue with the Mary Poppins scene is not that it exists, is that it doesn’t build on her character and feels redundant. Especially when the movie forgets she can also actively use the Force for pretty much the rest of the story.

7. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Loved it. so glad we got to see this scene and Leia embracing the force in such a desperate situation. If it was kept for ep9 we would not have seen it, so I am very thankful.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I voted "no feelings" - Leia flying did look fairly ridiculous... But it was nice to hear Princess Leia's Theme in all its glory - One of the few genuine musical highlights of tghe movie (and ST)

Jedi Ben and Pensivia like this.
  9. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Worked fine for me. Haven't seen one rational argument to justify being scandalised/mortified/cringy/offended etc, etc.

10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm fine with it but wish it looked different. I don't know if it was the shape of the costume or the way her hands were or what but there was something weird about it.

Sarge and jaqen like this.
  11. Gemlake

Gemlake Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2015
    The first part of the scene, showing Leia beginning to freeze, was gripping and emotional. And then . . . she started flying. I thought what the hell? Rian lost me there.
    I'm happy to hear that other fans liked it, though. Maybe the scene will grow on me over time.

Arriss and Satipo like this.
  12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I guess I never saw it as flying so much as pulling herself back to the ship.

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The idea that she was flying is the most ill-founded complaint that there is. She’s in space, there’s literally no alternative to “flying”. The power she used was to nudge herself in the direction of the ship. Your mileage may vary for how well it looked on screen, but calling it “flying” is silly.

Nate787, Sarge, oncafar and 3 others like this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    IMO one of the worst scene of the movie. It felt unrealistic, but in a way that is different from all the other situations in which the Force is used. It really drove me away from the emotional involvement. And it's sad because the scene in which Kylo decides not to kill her was really touching.

rebelknight1 and Jango723 like this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I've wanted to see Leia use the force for long time, i thought it was cool!!

Nate787, Satipo, Lee_ and 2 others like this.
  16. thehighground

thehighground Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2016
    to me the way we see her body swirl in space felt so artifical, too abstract and something a classic Star Wars movie would never show. (But the prequels would had they had the CGI for it .) After JJ kept TFA looking very down to earth, feeling very real and often like a fairy tale (hope you see what I am getting at), I didn´t like how the scene was executed and found it cringy. The concept is fine though.

3sm1r likes this.
  17. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    No feelings either way.
    The first time I saw it, it took me out of the movie. It just looked ridiculous. The second (and the next two) time it was quite all right, but certainly not on a "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" level for me. It's not like they could've show her pulling herself to the ship in any way that wouldn't look like flying - after all everybody in space looks like they are flying. I think it was because of her clothes. If she held a broomstick, she could play as professor mcGonagall in Harry Potter :p I wouldn't go as far and say it was a poor execution, not even close. So basically, I don't have a problem with it, love the idea and meaning behind it, and I'm leaning slightly in "I like it overall" direction. But there is nothing between "No feelings either way" and "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all" so I'm closer with the former.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    I agree with this - while it looks like they have attempted to shoe-horn "Leia using the force" into it, this is a rare occasion that they did because I've long wanted to see her use the force too, and we won't get that in IX now. This was probably a set-up for her to be powerful in IX because that was meant to be her movie, but obviously that won't happen now.

B99 likes this.
  19. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Yay. Princess Leia, literal Skywalker

Seemed to me it was unconcious, like Anakin in his pod racer. A survival instinct kicked in

It didnt seem that much different in principle to me than the big Jedi jumps that dont break their legs. They are using the force to offset the momentum by force pushing against the ground. In this instance Leia is pulling herself to an object.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Nate787, Sarge, B3 and 2 others like this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    She's using the Force both to avoid fainting and to pull herself to an object. Anyway, I found it artificial even in the execution, so I don't exclude that I could have bought it if it was represented in a different way.

21. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    One of Carrie Fisher’s wishes was for Leia to show Force power eventually. She also connected with Rian over the writing. If you’re writing for Star Wars and you let the fear of adult cynicism beat up your own childlike imagination in dreaming up big moments you’ll end up more like wannabe Christopher Nolan grimdark (which is partially where Rogue One aimed for while still keeping things lighter than that with K2 and a few creatures now and then) terrain and pretty far away from the most mystical and magical aspects of Empire and the spirit of Lucas and space opera and swashbuckling serials.

I feel like how people view the scene reveals a lot about how much inner child they have left in a way. If you saw the scene when you were 10 with your dad in the 1980s you would have probably loved it. It’s right in line with countless other insane feats like Luke jumping off the ledge and surviving or Anakin jumping off cars or 15 foot backflips onto tiny floating pieces of metal hovering over molten lava.

The Skywalkers are almost God-like at times and the Force has awakened, strenthened and found a way to help her survive almost like adrenaline. It’s magic.

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. I found it magical, especially after Carrie died.

MarcJordan likes this.
  23. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    So, "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" Is supposed to be equivalent to "Yes, I loved it!"? Worded as it is, it feels like genuinely liking the scene is not an option on this poll. I guess I find the "Mary Poppins" comparison so irritating I can't even embrace it in fun.

24. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    It was fine. I think it was a set up for her to become Rey's mentor in IX along with KK wanting her to use the Force.

25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I suppose a contingent would've preferred she moonwalked.

oncafar and Avilos like this.