main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Leia’s Force Use in Space - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Garth Maul, Jan 6, 2018.

?

Did you enjoy Flying Force Leia in The Last Jedi?

1. I'm Mary Poppins, y'all! (I loved it)

101 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. Cool idea, poor execution.

45 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No feelings either way.

12 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Flying Leia is bad & Johnson should feel bad.

61 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Loved it! There's probably not a single damn thing I couldn't buy Leia being able to do. And there's definitely been instinctual Force use before. Anakin's entire podracing career for example.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I loved it and there are two instances in which that power has been shown before. The first one in the defunt expanded universe second Darth Bane book and the in-canon book Lord of the Sith, when Vader crashes is fighter against Pok's ship (specifically the bubble where the canons were at) and he just went into space, stopped his fall, oriented himself and went to the ship, entered the codes and entered. So its there, its not off the cuff kind of stuff. I love seeing fly though....it first appeared weird, but then after multiple viewings its was like, she is a Skywalker and should be able to do stuff like that. I mean, Vader, Luke, Leia, and now Ben are like the organic Mortis beings............Of course Yoda is the mac daddy. So count me in for Poppins Leia.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Together with the lightsaber toss it completes the double facepalm

lookameatbag likes this.
  4. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    She skywalked

I'm ok with it

5. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Personally I found it to be embarrassingly bad.

I suspect that RJ and Lucasfilm were hoping that the scene was going to become a landmark moment in Star Wars history, but it just ended up looking ridiculous. I actually laughed when I first saw it as did others in the cinema.

lookameatbag and 3sm1r like this.
  6. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Not a fan, mainly because of the context. She pulls off an amazing feat and there's no mention of it before or after. Nothing leading up to it or references afterwards, which made it feel strange to me.

lookameatbag likes this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    As you said, applying science here is not particularly important. Anyway, for the pure pleasure of the discussion...
    Even though it's a matter of debate the fact that she could survive in that time window, it's not debatable that she would not have been conscious for such a long time. So, yes, she did use the Force at least to avoid fainting, apart from the Force pull on the ship.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Everybody keeps thinking that this was RJ main decision but a recent interview from one of the magazine's revealed that KK was the driving force for that scene. She literally said that she is a skywalker and should be able to do that.

The problem I have is with certain individuals that post that Leia was not flying because of whatever reason. This was almost like the chameleon droids of the micro series back in early 2003/2004. The ones that fired while invisible. Or the Mortis son and daughter that could fly in the air by shape shifting, and the father who just produces wings and fly.
    To me, Leia gets knocked out into space and is unconscious. From the angle she travels a bit far from the ship, starts to freeze, but somehow, the force starts awakens her, starts to unfreeze her, puts her is a cocoon of air, and guides her back to the ship. She is in space just floating without momentum. Did she fly back to the ship? Yeah she did, it wasn't swimming in space, there was no movement. She glided back to it with the power of the force. Down playing it and saying it can't happened and then ret-conning it to something similar but not the same has been my biggest problem.

Star Wars Rebels Season 2, the inquisitiors with those jerky lightabers and the dark side can fly away.
    The chameleon droids in the clone wars micro series can fire while invisible.
    Mandalorians with a jet pack can travel long distances both vertically and horizontally (more than a 1000 feet) and are not binded by no rpg game, as seen in both canon Star Wars REbels and TCW.
    Leia, can fly.......to the ship.
    The Mortis people and the force priestesses can fly levitate in different forms, even Mother talzoin levitated, put a force shield around her, and fired green laser simultaneously.

There is no way to write this down and we shouldn't it is what it is.

9. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Everyone says that Leia was flying but she wasn't! SHE DID NOT FLY. Have you ever seen an astronaut floating in space? They push themselves off and they just float from point A to point B. There is no gravity in space remember?

All she did was force-move herself which theoretically should be easier to do in space where there is no gravity than try to lift one rock with the force where there is actually is gravity.

10. 2old2Bhere

2old2Bhere Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    Any Jedi training of Leia is never eluded too, shown or expressed in any way in the movies. All we know is she is force sensitive from Empire when she talks with Luke during the escape from Cloud City. We then left TFA thinking shes had no training because she went back to being the head of the Resistance. Then in TLJ to have her do a reverse saber call just seemed so out of place. It really came from left field and only left us with more questions than answers. Even after she gets to the airlock and it opens sucking no one out into space was laughable. I remember the guy behind me in the theater going "WTF was that?". The moment came off comical and Mary Poppins'ish. I get what was trying to be done but they failed.

I remember in the PT "making of" AotC Lucas was scared to death that Yodas fight scene would be laughed at and they spent a lot of time to 'get it right'. I dont get the impression that was done here.

Yes, we all know 'Star Wars physics' is not 'our physics' but even this was beyond reasonably believable considering the extreme amount of time she was in space unconscious.

lookameatbag and Lt. Hija like this.
  11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I get this thread is about Leia skywalking but for those who say she should have sacrificed herself instead of Holdo, (a) they kinda cover this, that one of Leia's great strengths is that she endures, and (b) to me, it's clear that TFA was Han's movie, TLJ was Luke's and IX was all set to be Leia's. Sure, if Carrie knew she was sick and told Rian she didn't have long, and they manged to rewrite everything in time, I guess they could have done that, but they finished principal shooting. They had no idea what was coming.

EHT likes this.
  12. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    We all Love Han

We all Love Chewie and Obi-Wan and Yoda.

We all love Vader, especially Kylo.

We all Love Luke

That scene says 'Hey, I'm a Sky-WALKER too'. Literally.

Loved it.

13. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Why wouldn't they be at maximum speed? That is one of their few advantages: "Lighter and faster" I think were the two descriptors.

What does this mean?

Hence the entire plotline falls apart (it never was very good anyway). Once they reached maximum speed they could have shut off their engines and coasted, conserving fuel and still staying ahead of the FO fleet. But they didn't.

But that is Star Wars. The ships need acceleration in hyperdrive, but not in normal space, yet we see them, their engines are blazing in space all the time. Leia staying along side the ship in space is a very minor issue compared to the overall defiance of physics.

14. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    It wasn't long. Less than a minute.

15. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    anyone worrying at all about the physics of this is barking up the wrong franchise

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  16. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    No problem with what Leia did but didn't like the scene for other reasons that are unrelated to Leia and the force.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
  18. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Of course she could have. This has been explained several times on this board. NASA backs it up. It's been seen in other movies - 2001 a space odyssey and Sunshine. So the arguments against it are strictly subjective based on the likes and dislikes of the poster and their ideas of what Leia could do with the Force. It's the most real thing in GFFA but one of the most derided for being 'too much'. Considering all the other fantastic stuff SW dishes out that makes all the criticism laughable.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As I recall, the ship was already at maximum speed, so Leia would be at the same speed, and since no friction, she would remaing at that speed.

One could consider a minor effect from the explosion which added another speed vector to her trajectory, but compared to her inertial speed, it was not difficult to overcome with a simple Force Pull.

20. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm a big fan of it conceptually as part of the story and as part of her character. I thought the actual on screen execution was quite bad. I think they could have accomplished everything they needed by showing her finger twitch and her reaching out and starting to move, cut to Poe freaking out as he sees her, cut to her with her hand on the door as Poe and crew arrive to rescue her. We still get all the cool story and character stuff without the super awkward shooting star meme.

21. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    I would have preferred they showcase her first active use of the Force in a different way. Using it to prevent herself from being sucked into the vacuum would have been more compelling to me than flying back into the ship.

22. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Pulling herself towards the ship is all she did with the force. She might have thrown up some sort of protection for herself once she woke up and realized she was in naked Vacuum, but what we SAW her do was a fraction of what we saw Yoda easily do (lift the X-Wing), or Obi Wan and Qui-Gon jumping thirty or more feet while fighting Maul in TPM. Folks can accept all THAT but not some old lady using the force to pull herself to safety?

23. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Regarding execution, it would be cooler if it was a first-person view of her hand and the destroyed bridge coming closer.

But hindsight is 20/20.

I am pleased that we got what we got.

TOASTEROVEN and MarcJordan like this.
  24. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Of all things to dislike in this movie, I am confused why some people have a problem with this scene. It was sensational.

Also, I have seen a few people suggest (not really on here) that Disney should have used the opportunity to kill off Leia when the bridge exploded. And all I gotta say about that is that I am glad those people have zero creative control at LucasFilm. How disrespectful to Carrie Fisher and the wonderful job she did in her final roll to even consider that.

TOASTEROVEN and Nate787 like this.
  25. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    One minor gripe I have is the title of this thread.

It is a little derogatory, and will bias the responses of the poll.