main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Leia and Han never made it together - idea.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by L0RD VADER, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    If the plot is driven by a search for Luke though, and we know she can communicate through her force connection with him (established at the end of ESB), wouldn't she literally be the most helpful person to bring along on a search for him? I'm not disagreeing, I just believe she will join them at some point. Perhaps taking matters into her own hands, ditching the government for a bit, and meeting up with the Falcon?

Satipo likes this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I don't think we will see all the OT characters getting lots of screen time, a few may, but the balance has to also be on introducing the new characters too for the next 2 films after this one. Will the new ones be able to carry 8 & 9 or will the OT characters always have to be around in the background.

I think there are a couple of ways of managing multiple heroes together on the same quest. SW did it well with the 7 of them in the Death Star because it split them up. FOTR did the same too, it split everyone up into groups.

Yet on the other hand KOTCS showed how not to do it, as I thought it became a mess at the end with all the 5 characters vying for attention and it took away from the supposed star of the film (Indy).

The reason for them not to take Leia is that maybe her force sensitivity is not strong enough to cross galaxies though? In ESB they were in relatively close proximity.

HanSolo29 and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Right, and it would also depend too on if she's been trained or not. If Luke has been missing for nearly 30 years, she probably won't be much stronger in the Force than she was in ESB. Whereas if she was a fully trained Jedi, it might be a different story.

I tend to agree with you guys saying she probably won't have a huge role, considering we haven't heard much at all about it and considering there are so many characters to juggle. That is disappointing, but I do hope it means she's just too busy being president of the entire galaxy or whatever. ;)

But as you guys are saying, all the new characters that have to be introduced and established are one of the reasons I hope they don't do a Han/Leia separation. There will be so much going on already that we don't need to waste screen-time with a plot we already saw play out in the OT.

Claire1976 likes this.
  4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Adi_Gallia_9

Of course we could all be wrong. Theres also the possibility that the big 3 will have bigger roles in 7 than 8 & 9, as they may feel that more involvement by them in this first film will ensure its a success. The supporting (new) characters then come to the fore with 8 and 9.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It is a bit worrisome that we haven't heard much regarding Leia's role in this film at this point, considering a lot has been flying around about Han and Luke. Of course, it could mean like others have already pointed out - she has a smaller role and will adopt more of a leadership position in this film and will not tag along on the adventure. While that is disappointing, I can totally see her fitting the bill. I only hope that the lull in news about Leia isn't because they are killing her off. That is a growing concern of mine, especially since it would be totally unexpected (considering most folks are calling that either Han or Luke will die in this one). There have also been some passing comments made - on Twitter and elsewhere - about this very subject that have been a bit shady. I couldn't tell if it was simply speculation or if it was an actual rumor. [face_worried]

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Yeah, I find it odd Leia has not been mentioned much. Along with Luke. Maybe they haven't filmed the bulk of their scenes yet?

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If were going to get an older version of Han in ROTJ? Then we can only hope his end comes quickly.

8. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I agree with all your points. Han and Leia NOT being together anymore or Leia getting killed off early in the film are NOT things I want to see or choices that I would make. Having said that, I'm a big proponent of us fans letting go of what we think the film does or does not need to be. Basically, as long as the story is well told and the creative choices made by TPTB are done in the service of telling the best story possible(mainly, recapturing the magic that is STAR WARS), I'm cool with the film being something other than what I think it should be. I'm just happy we are getting more STAR WARS films... period.

Dra---, Jcuk, Adi_Gallia_9 and 3 others like this.
  9. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    With regards to Leia and her arc in VII and the ST? maybe everyone has kinda taken it for granted that she would've naturally pursued her political role as a major player in the Rebel Alliance. But perhaps there's a big surprise in store? We'll find out one way or the other next year. Taking into account she was a huge part of the OT and the other half of the Skywalker twins? I'm leaning towards big surprises being on the cards for Leia.

10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Would Princess Leia be queen by now? But queen of what? Does she no longer qualify as a princess when her planet was blown up?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Might depend on if the off world Alderaanians are still considered a Community, even without a planet.

ifleninwasawizard and Dra--- like this.
  12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I have to admit, one of the things that makes me nervous that this "splitsville" rumor is true, is the other rumor going around that Han hasn't seen Luke in 30 years. Now, friends (even *good* friends) can drift apart and lose touch. Sure. But I have a hard time seeing that happening between twins. So I can't see Leia losing touch with Luke for that long. And if Han and Leia were together, and *she* saw Luke, then you'd imagine that Han got to see Luke, too. But if they're not together….

So, yes. Your next mission, if you choose to accept it, is to debunk the "30 years" thing. Please.

13. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

I don't see Luke not having contact with Leia either, so I think, or rather hope this time period is very greatly exaggerated. But then again, even if Han and Leia WERE apart, why would we need this huge galaxy wide search? If Leia has been in contact with her brother then why couldn't Han just go and ask Leia where is he? Surely common sense would tell him that Leia would know, right? So a lot of this awful "splitsville" (love that btw) rumour still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

CairnsTony and Yanksfan like this.
  14. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    I agree. They were literally each other's only living family at the end of ROTJ. Additionally, if Leia does know something has happened, I imagine she'll be first in line to get in on the action.

CairnsTony, Yanksfan and Claire1976 like this.
  15. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Okay, I'm not sure if I'm playing devil's advocate here, of if I'm really just in a negative mood, but maybe Han *does* go to Leia first. And an awkward reunion ensues….and perhaps Leia is like "well, when we spoke six weeks ago he was on planet so-and-so, but I haven't heard from him since then…"

EDIT: Someone blow holes in this post, btw. Please. Get me back on track here….

16. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Well if you put it that way!

17. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    Why this doesn't work: because it still requires truckloads of exposition to get the audience aboard with it. And as it all happened in the past, it will all have to be told to us instead of shown. Which is a strike against it.

And if Han had a fracture with both Luke and Leia about ten days after ROTJ that led to a split so deep he hadn't seen Luke for that 30 years, one or more of the Big Three is likely a jerk. and why after 30 years of separation from Luke and Leia would Han care enough to drop all and go looking for Luke or even come back to these people? Which is another strike against it.

And why do they think anyone wants tons of expository information about why one of the Big Three is a jerk so we can look at this character differently than JJ Abrams, along with the rest of us, did for 30 years? Strike three. It's out.

Claire1976 and Yanksfan like this.
  18. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    mcgo --well done. I feel better now. Thank you. :)

mcgo likes this.
  19. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    Everybody needs to go over to the Luke thread and watch Mark Hamill say that this film is really about the next generation and the Big Three are just there to lend their support. Given that it seems that he and Fisher have not been shooting much and that Ford's injury which will have kept him out of about 10 weeks of shooting (at least) did not seem to blow a hole in this film's shoot schedule a mile wide, I'm thinking that we maybe can all chillax (perhaps me most of all) about major changes to the ROTJ relationships among the Big Three being in the cards for this film.

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    It seems many of the pro Han and Leia marriage people are admitting than if there's been 30 years of war, it makes sense Han and Leia are separated often.

Which begs the question -- what's the point of being married? It doesn't mean they spend much time together. It's essentially a long distance relationship -- why doesn't that bother you?

I think that's the most likely situation. Leia will be so busy with her political duties that Han finds boring, he'll be out and about the galaxy finding action where he can.

To force them to live together all the time would actually damage their established characters. Han is meant to be out acting the rash or bold hero while Leia is meant to be a political leader of the Republic/Alliance. These two roles are different enough to keep them apart most of the time.

So to be true to their characters, they can't sit at home and nest. They each need to be busy doing what they were meant to do. Being responsible stay at home parents isn't one of those things. If they do have children, they won't be around much to parent them.

So what is it you're really getting out of a marriage as a fan if the marriage is in name only?

I find it more romantic that they respected each other's roles in the Alliance and loved each other without feeling the need to nest. That's more honest to who they are -- not who the fans want them to be.

21. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    I have a basic disagreement with your premise: a marriage where spouses who love and respect each other but are physically separated often due to their responsibilities is not a marriage in name only. There's a huge point to being married even if you spend a lot of time apart. Military marriages, for example.

And I'm saying "married" because after the PT, we know that exists as the baseline of what people who love and want to make a commitment to each other do in the GFFA, since it was kind of a big deal that it was forbidden to Jedi. If the "marriage" word is bothering you, take it out of the equation. What people are saying they want to see is these two characters in the loving and committed relationship that was developed In the OT.

Claire1976, Yanksfan and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    What does committed mean if they are usually separated?

23. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't even know how to answer this because it seems so obvious and intuitive to me. My short and imprecise answer is that commitment has little to do with physical distance and everything to do with an emotional lack-of-distance (and an ongoing choice of both parties in the relationship).

24. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Was just thinking about this. What if (due to the ongoing war) Han & Leia grow apart as everyone is saying. Daisy could still be one of their kids (not saying an Indy 4 scenario). Whats to say after they split, Leia didn't hook up with another member of the alliance and have a kid or two.
    Not saying I like that idea. Just that it's a possibility.

25. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000

Ugh, you know what? That's completely possible. You can't rule it out.

But wow. Would I hate that. Like OMFG I would hate that so much.

*grabs bottle of Pepto Bismol and chugs it*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.