main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Leia and Han never made it together - idea.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by L0RD VADER, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Because the original IMDB post was deleted (although still referenced at Making Star Wars), I'm not sure if there is one IMDB poster or two who have commented on this. I think there are two based on writing style. Plaid_Harvest hints that there is some separation: here, here, here

2. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I agree. I might need that bottle when your done with it.

Claire1976 and Yanksfan like this.
  3. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    So, if rumours have some truth, here is my irrelevant prediction. I'm amending the timeline from 30 years to 20 years:

Han and Leia had a huge blowout about 20 years ago, the straw that broke the camel's back on a relationship that was falling apart with her work and possible exploration of the Force, and his desire frustration at never seeing her. Leia was pregnant with Daisy at the time, but wasn't aware of it. By the time she realized, she didn't know/didn't care to get into contact with him. There will be reveal halfway through the movie on the Daisy/Han adventure where she mentions her mother, and Han puts the pieces together. The question is how much Leia informed her about her father.

So either Daisy doesn't tell him who's daughter she is because she suspects, and knows from the rumour mill Leia and Han used to be together and wants to get to know him or she is aware, and resents him for walking out on her mother.

At some point Leia realizes the two are travelling together and flips.

This also creates tension with Luke/Leia/Han. If there was a blowout with Han and Luke as well, (I'm pretty Luke will always take Leia's side), and then both end up taking off, this leaves Leia alone with her kid to run the galaxy. So resentment all around.

Here's the thing though... this is Disney. Not a soap opera. I'm more than willing to believe I'm totally wrong.

4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    No, see that's almost *exactly* what happened with Marion and Indy. Except only in this scenario the child actually has some awareness of the situation.

Besides, would Luke really be that callous to his sister? "Wow, you really got yourself in a pickle, now didn't you, Leia? Sucks to be a single parent, but don't expect any help from me, even though I'm family! Bwahahaha! Peace out." --Luke

HanSolo29 and Visitant like this.
  5. yogacat

Jul 6, 2014
    I meant Luke wouldn't have known she was pregnant either. He knew Han took off. Anyways, for all we know Luke and Leia still visit each other all the time. Also entirely irrelevant speculation from my bored self, because its Disney's Star Wars. I honestly think without a doubt Daisy is their kid.

Alternately, we get lots of Daisy eye rolls because she sees and knows how in love they are, but they're fighting it, and could you two just get back together already.

In this situation, Daisy would be playing the role of 'us' here in this thread. :)

Claire1976 and Yanksfan like this.
  6. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Of course, if Daisy="us", she wouldn't necessarily be rolling her eyes over "just get back together already", but rather "why'd you two even break up? What was the point?" *grumble, grumble, eyeroll* "Idiots." ;)

Claire1976 likes this.
  7. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

That Plaid_Harvest guy seems to know stuff, I've read a lot of his posts at imdb, but I clearly didn't see any of those...oh crap, this doesn't sound good at all. For what it's worth, he is one of the posters who a while back, confirmed that those leaked plot rumours from March (which also mention Luke missing for 30 years) were pretty much on the ball. He claims to have contracts working on the production. Now the hand rumour thing and other stuff we've heard since seem to make those rumours from March more likely. This makes me very nervous [face_nail_biting]

8. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I could see Han and Leia being apart at first, but ending up together at the end of the movie. In fact, what if, in the Arndt script, Han was to die, only for Abrams to change it to Han and Leia deciding that they've saved the day one last time (not realizing the real threat is out there) and flying off to retire together.

9. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    Ok, fine, I'll accept the rumors and start preparing myself to continue thinking that the last great SW film was released in 1980. Because if supporting characters - as Hamill has just said they are- have a new and major story arc (and it is pretty major if they blow up the ROTJ relationships) that relies on this level of telling and not showing, and if we have to sit thru exposition about why they are apart just so the inevitable happens and they reunite (because otherwise why are they apart), I'm already bored with this movie because JJ and Kasdan are just rehashing and don't have enough new story to tell. This level of "major events happen offstage" hasn't been how storytelling worked since Greek drama.

It's kind of like deciding that Obi-wan needed his own angsty subplot in ANH. I can't say enough how I think all the dramatic action in this film should come from the new characters and the Big Three should just be there to help us like these new characters (honestly, if Han and Leia are separated, it's likely going to lead to liking one or both of them less because if whatever happened) The first thing I've heard that I liked in a long time was Hamill saying that the Big Three were around just to lend support.

One thing they absolutely cannot do is Daisy being the child Han did not know he had. If they do that, Harrison Ford needs to be wearing his fedora in that scene where the reveal happens. and preferably he and Leia should be in quicksand. They'll be laughed out if the theatres for stealing the plot of the "bad" Indy film.

Claire1976 likes this.
  10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm sorry but I'm still at a loss as to understand how these people could possibly know a lot of this stuff without having seen the script. The security on the script is supposedly insane.

Access to a copy of the Arndt script means nothing; there was a huge re-write after that. Stuff leaked from people on-set has similarly proved unreliable: remember the rumour of an ice planet based on someone seeing the white polystyrene blocks they used to build a fake stone wall? They were looking at the back of the set where the blocks were unpainted and thought, "Oh that's a lot of white, they must be filming an ice planet...' Suddenly there was a very persistent rumour that we were returning to Hoth!

Something just doesn't sit well with me with a lot of these rumours.... of course some will prove to be close to the mark, but surely by the law of averages some will be a misinterpretation of something seen or heard or just total garbage.

HanSolo29 and Claire1976 like this.
  11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    See, this is exactly what I don't like about this rumor. Say they are separated - where do you go that doesn't involve a complete retread? As I said, I initially didn't mind the rumor, but it got worse the more I thought about it. They're essentially writing themselves into a hole and generating a lot of unnecessary grief. On the surface, Han and Leia being separated could make sense, but the follow-up becomes very tricky. I will have no interest in watching them fall in love all over again, especially since we've already seen it once. And if they go with the idea of them having a kid that Han doesn't know about? Just ugh. It was okay in Indy (Shia LaBeouf aside), but once is enough. If they're going to take the step to break them apart, you almost have to keep them that way, which would just be depressing.

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Yanksfan like this.
  12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    On the positive side I don't think we've heard of any hint of their separation from anywhere other than two anonymous IMDB posters. Keep hope alive! :)

13. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    You are absolutely right. There has been nothing else to indicate it in any of the rumours thus far, and this awful thread is based on nothing but speculation.

14. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Yeah, until a more reliable source comments on this, I'm not going to panic. I'll panic if it is confirmed, but not until then. ;)

Claire1976 likes this.
  15. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    Thought for the day:

Everyone, including me, panicked for MONTHS because of rumors from well-placed sources that: "Harrison Ford isn't coming back!" "Harrison Ford isn't coming back unless he gets Indy 5 as part of the deal!" "Harrison Ford's contract is proving difficult to nail down!" "Harrison Ford wants too much money!"

At the time these rumors were floating around, Harrison Ford had been committed to the film for over a year.

That's how accurate rumors, even from Hollywood outlets, have been on this film so far.

So...I've just taken a look at my internet timer, and it appears that it's getting to the point that one of the things I'm going to need regret on my deathbed is the amount of time I spent on theforce.net.
    I'm going to take a breather from this horrible rumor and go to my happy place where these lousy rumors don't exist....

16. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    You have a VERY good point there, mcgo. At one point it did seem like a dead cert that Harrison wasn't coming back and what a bunch of crap that turned out to be. And I'm currently considering joining you in non spoiler land for a bit.

17. L0RD VADER

L0RD VADER Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I don't think we would see another "love story" between Han and Leia.

I strongly think EPISODE VII, will follow ROTJ with the strong theme that, it's something to Win a War, it's another story to rebuild afterwards.

It's a painful and long process, and, Han, Leia & Luke all are becoming the people the whole galaxy is watching after the war.

THIS is what Episode VII is about (for them, and I am not saying it's even core to the story), we will learn on HOW THEY MANAGED the spotlight on them.

That is why, if we extrapolate the characters from the OT (and their parents from the PT)

Han hates the spotlight, anyone sees him as a Politician or Chief, president of something? The character will want to stay low profile.

Luke, could he has feared that fame and exposure or even training an apprentice would put the galaxy back at risk, he knows the Darkside is not too far in him, used it to defeat his father in ROTJ... Went to exile as Yoda and Ben did.

Leia, Padme's daughter, is the type of Character that will be up to the challenge of rebuilding the Galaxy. She will put it in front of everything, including love and family?. It's her DUTY, and it was FROM DAY ONE after ROTJ.

18. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Okay, yeah, Han Solo *was* a "low-profie" guy who likes his freedom. But that was in ANH. By ROTJ he officially gets a commission with the Rebellion and becomes a *general*, and leads one of the most important missions in the war. So much for freedom. So much for "low-profile". Now, do I see Han as a politician? Absolutely not. But just because that may be Leia's path, doesn't mean he has to follow completely in lock step with her. However, might he have stuck with the military and risen through the ranks there? ROTJ leads us to believe that is entirely possible. So why not?

Leia as a politician and influential leader in the new government is something I can totally see. But what I don't understand is, why does her career and her relationship with Han have to be mutually exclusive? Do we not see married politicians? Do we not see two-career marriages? Sure, it wouldn't always be easy, and maybe the two of them don't get to see each other as much as they'd like, but that's compromise. But the OT taught us that these two characters are now ready for that kind of commitment and compromise. Han got a commission. Leia briefly left the Rebellion to save Han. The OT showed us that the two of them were so important to each other, that they knew when to put the other first. Why couldn't they have continued on in that vein?

EDIT: Claire1976 mcgo --Oh, guys, don't abandon me now. Who's going to keep talking me off the ledge in the ensuing months?

19. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Yanksfan, I'm sure I won't disappear completely...but maybe won't hang around quite as much. Don't worry :) I just need to regain my life a bit and stop obsessively refreshing the page :p Easier said than done I know, especially when it's so tempting to keep having a peek ;)

And great post above btw, I really think some people here didn't understand the story arcs of certain characters.

CairnsTony, mcgo and Yanksfan like this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    At least if Harrison had turned it down it would've given Carrie's character so much more impact as a widowed Leia trying to juggle bringing up a kid(s) whilst helping Luke and at the same time being looked on by the rebels for political guidance.

21. yogacat

Jul 6, 2014
    And once again, pure speculation on my part, but having Han/Leia split may actually lead to more screen time for Carrie and Harrison. They need to show us some degree of them getting back together, preferably by sharing a lot of scenes and helping each other get out of a lot of tough positions. Meaning, I hope, at some point Leia joins them on the Falcon for the search.

22. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013

Yanksfan Not totally leaving. Just not going to hang out somewhere for the next 18 months where every rumor is depressing! I am only a DM or mention away!

Yanksfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.