main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leia and Vader exchange a look. Cheese??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by putsomeBactaonit, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I never really saw the look as anything special until I read a thread a couple of weeks back where the poster believed that Leia sensed something about Vader at that moment, possibly his relationship to her. I love the scene now, but I think Leai is giving Vader a look of fear more than hatred.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Leia - "I know. Somehow, I've always known."

Maybe she wasn't just talking about Luke?

3. Krayt_Wyrmrider

Krayt_Wyrmrider Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Woah, that's a very nice point made by Dark_Lady_Mara. Thanks for making light of that. I haven't seen the movie for a while, but I'll be thinking of that next time.

I like how the underlying theme of that scene could be that Vader drags down Leia & Han into his element, his world of cruelty and malevolence. And in that element, you can see that Vader and Leia are not that different.

I liked the movie Pitch Black a lot because of how the characters in it sway between being portrayed as "good guy" and "bad guy". When you see characters with that kind of depth, you see a lot more meaning in their actions and don't just hold them to their characters.

Nice to think that Lucas was somewhat pioneering in adding a trace of that theme back when he made ESB, even if it was only incidental, and not on purpose.

4. Big_Chewie_fan

Big_Chewie_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2003
    just for the record thanks for the positive remarks on my thoughts above! first time it has ever happened

5. putsomeBactaonit

putsomeBactaonit Jedi Youngling star 4

May 2, 2003
    I like where this post is at.

Since I am such a sucker for angst and stuff, I really like to think that that look Leia gives to Vader shows anger, but comes from a feeling inside of her that she can't deny.

I read a really great fan fiction once that was AU where Vader doesn't die at the end of ROTJ, and Leia has to face the fact that he is her father. I always wanted that look to be a starting point for her deeper thoughts.

In ESB, everyone starts thinking about deeper feelings:
    Luke about his father and mother
    Vader about his son, and his choice to become a Sith.
    Han about Leia and his own feelings for her
    Leia, about Han, and hopefully Vader.

6. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Leia has a lot of her father in her too...

7. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

I think Leia's emotions were really fraught yet she is a princess she isn't supposed to feel them, the way she always expresses them is through anger.
    I don't think Leia is evil or uses vicious means to get what she wants but unlike Luke she knows what the universe is like. She and Vader have met before and I think she was giving him a challenge, I think she's telling she won't take this for long, for now she has to bide her time.
    And yeah I agree that she might have sensed something about him, and it all comes out in rotj

8. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    If looks could kill,they'd probably will,in games without frontiers,(Star)wars without tears.

9. gold-finger

gold-finger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2003
    Interesting you mention it, while watching ESB last night that part hit me. I like that part alot for some reason. It's the "why are you so cruel?" look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.