main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia ANH First Gown...Help me... Obiwan Kenobi....;

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediMasterLeia, Jul 29, 2002.

1. JediMasterLeia

JediMasterLeia Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    Seriously though. I need help. I have written to Mirax H. She was very nice and helpful. But the thing is to find the Butterick pattern. I have searched Ebay and keep losing. I am hoping to get my hands on one.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or even can point me in the right direction to a costumer or someone with the pattern?
    Please....:(

Also...is this pattern out of print? Does anyone know? I get the feeling...*sigh*

Thanks all for your help.

2. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    Go to their site and orrder off line, thats what I do.

3. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    You don't HAVE to have that pattern to make this costume. Any basic T-Tunic pattern (like the basic Christmas pageant angel ones) will work well. All you'd have to do would be to add a collar and the hood. (And check out the threads on making it; thre are some good tips in there.)

EDIT: The threads should be linked in the FAQs. Oh, and apparently, yes, this pattern is out-of-print, as I haven't seen it in any of Butterick's pattern books, and I had been looking for it for months. (Finally won it in an eBay auction that included a bunch of other stuff. Sometimes you have better luck that way, instead of waiting for it to come up as a single item. Most people don't want to end up with the other items in the lot.)

4. JediMasterLeia

Jul 29, 2002
    Thanks so much for the tips.

Yeah..I thought if I could not find the pattern I would just go for it and piece it together using reference pics and such. Of course...sewing is new to me LOL

Thanks again:)

5. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    I did a tutorial for my Leia ANH outfit. Mind you it's my first tutorial so I hope it's not to difficult to figure out. Go here and click on Leia Tutorial.

MJA

6. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Patience, patience is how I got a pattern. I tried everywhere else, there are lots of vintage places online. No one had it. I looked ebay several times, using different titles, searching title and description. I used "costume" "halloween" the pattern #, Princess Leia, SW, etc. I finally found it so don't give up! :)

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I just use a store bought T-Shirt for it and then adding on the hood and wider sleeves from there. But I'm doing the Manga version so it's a little bit different.

Check out the thread as listed at the FAQ too for more infos and ideas! ;)

8. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    I know how you feel jedimasterleia, i keep losing it on ebay too ....i got outbid by a sniper last night :( ........I agree with stormtrooper princess, you may be better off customizing several patterns, and from what i have heard, its not too hard with this particular costume. I may end up having to do that as well. Good luck to you! :D

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    It seems that all the threads on ANH Leia (Senator) Gown are gone so let us do any discussions on this gown here. ;)

10. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Excellent, Darth_Eagle. I have to make this dress (among many, many other costumes) by the end of January, so I'm definitely eager for any tips that can be offered. I'm not planning on trying to get the Butterick pattern; I'm going to do the basic T-tunic thing. I know how to make a hood, the only thing I'm a bit shaky on is the collar. Any tips are much appreciated.

Also, what shoes have people used with this outfit?

11. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    As this costume was made very last minute for CII, I didn't have time to go boot shopping so I made vinyl covers for some white tennis shoes that worked out great. Just were a little toasty is all.

12. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Do you have a sewing book, like the Simplicity or Vogue ones? Very helpful things. (Even if you're using an ancient one, like my Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing from the 1970's). There should be easy-to-follow directions in there; look for a mandrin collar but put the gap at the opening on the back edge of the dress.

13. JediMasterLeia

Jul 29, 2002
    I finally got a Butterick #5174 from E-Bay!! I am so happy! :) I am going to work on this very soon.

As far as the boots, I found a great pair of low white leather boots. I think they work great. I will post the pictures here. ;)

[image=http://leiasolo.clanpages.com/LeiaPersonal/whiteboot.jpg]

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I was just wondering if there would be a problem if I posted some images of the original pattern up on the internet. I couldn't get in trouble could i?

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I'm using Ankle High Boots (with black sole) from HK I think, which is the same boots I'm using for my Padme White Battlesuit and my 2 Anime Costumes (Sevothtarte & Adam from Angel Sanctuary).

I was just wondering if there would be a problem if I posted some images of the original pattern up on the internet.

Personally, I'll appreciate it better if someone can photocopy 1:1 (if there's a plan photocopy machine in her area) for me the whole pattern for the Butterick Leia Costume. :p Been observing every single of the pattern that goes on sale on eBay but all had gone beyong my budget. So far the highest I see the pattern going for is US$20+++, :_| the current item on this is at US$26 now. :_|

16. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually, you probably would get in trouble, because it's an infringement of Butterick's pattern copyright. Either option??scanning or making a 1:1 photocopy.

I do think that it might be okay to make a photocopy of it, but you can't sell it, and I think the limit is just one. And definately not make it public that you're doing so.

17. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ok. I only have the front page of the pattern, due to a generous individual. But it lets me see all the pattern pieces and stuff.

18. Kidd

Kidd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    http://www.geocities.com/alma_gabriela_perez

This is me on Comic-Con 2002 as Princess Leia (Ohmg! I lost weight since then o_O) me and some lady did this...*cough* *cough* Kind of crappy looking since at first the person who took my measurements did a lot of mistakes and the dress was really big.

Anyways Hope ya like it...

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Ouch! :eek: The last Leia Butterick pattern was sold for US$40! :eek: I doubt I'll be getting one soon. :(

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay, I been thinking about attaching the hood to the collar of the T-Shirt I'm using. What hand stitches and threads should I use on the knit fabric? The last time I hand sew a hem on the skirt, it kinda turned "unelastic". And how can I make the knit piece fit around the collar when it's many times wider?

The raw part will later be hidden by the turtleneck collar of the T-Shirt.

(Ps: The knit fabric comes as a whole piece, there's no free sides to it like normal fabrics so I'm using this as an advantage to get the whole, rounded Hood as seen on the Leia Manga Costume.)

21. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Comments from the two missing threads on this gown:

Obischick
    For the fabric: I used a nice, drapy white polyester. Kind of see-thru, so I double layered both sides. It looks fine, and ti's got that lovely drapy quality of Leia's dress.

Darh_Eagle
    I found this nice fabric that was said to be Cotton-Polyester Lycra. Am using it for my Padme Battle Suit pants but it seems it may also be suitable for Leia's ANH.

Mirax H
    I used polyester but after I got underway, I realized it was a wee bit too sheer. I had to borrow a white turtleneck to wear under it along with a slip as well. But I sure like the way it falls!

Calixte
    i've been studying the dress for a few days now and realized that the material seems to be heavier than rayon and satin crepe fabrics but still drapes really nicely. i also didn't want anything too shiny since the dress looks matte to me. tonight i lucked out and think i stumbled onto what the costume designers may have used in the original costume - get this - white swimsuit material. it's called white jet set and has a little bit of stretch and give but not like lycra. it also drapes almost exactly like the original costume or at least it seems too. it was only $3.99 a yard. it's very sheer but i am going to line it with swimsuit liner which is sheerer than the fabric but will allow the dress to drape properly. not only that but the material is very soft to the touch and probably very comfortable to wear even in hot environments.

Sarah
    anyway, I got a pretty good look at this dress in the Smithsonian exhibit. It's your basic t-tunic pattern alright, and for all the world looks like it's made from that awful polyester knit! I'd try to find something equally drapey but nicer to wear

The collar is a simple turtleneck looking thing, probably cut on the bias for better drape, and eased onto the neck. the hood is the interesting part, it's actually just a loop of fabric, not joined up the center back (otherwise it would have the little gnome-like point that ben Kenobi has), just the edges roll-hemmed, and the ends gathered into the back of the neck on either side of the back keyhole opening.

Princess1
    I couldn't find the actual pattern for the dress so I used this pattern for an angel dress, I just changed it a little and it turned out perfect! I'd post pics but I don't have a scanner, so you'll have to take my word on it.

I forgot to mention that it was a simpleitcy pattern, it was with a set of biblical costumes. And I still have to put the hood on mine, but I assume you just add it on. I didn't use stretchy material, I found that it didn't drape right. I think the material I used was a light crepe without a pattern. I tested it's drape by laying it over my fingers and seeing that it fit to the shape of my hand. I found that the material that draped right was often times kinda see throug, you know just a little bit. So I wore a full length slip and a turtle neck underneath it. I wasen't to warm because it was for Halloween. Hope all this made sense, if not just ask!

Kreleia
    Darth_Eagle, the original ANH costume was polyester. 100% 1970's-grade awful ugly polyester. Good thing you never get a really good close-up of the fabric in the movie.

And the always wonderful Maggie of Padawan's Guide fame has pictures of it from the Brooklyn MOM exhibit.

22. JediMasterLeia

Jul 29, 2002
    Right now there is an Adult Leia Butterick #5174 up for sale on Ebay with about 1 1/2 days left and its only at $2.50.

Anyone wants it, I suggest jumping on it. Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=720694903

I hope that helps someone. :) This is how I got mine. Good Luck!

23. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Bumping this up, since someone asked about this gown.

24. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Thanks for upping it I was trying to find something on it! :D

What would be good for the belt? ?[face_plain]

25. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    I used white marine vinyl.