main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia ANH First Gown...Help me... Obiwan Kenobi....;

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediMasterLeia, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Jedi-Nitess

Jedi-Nitess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Does anyone have any good high res shots from the Magic of Myth tour?

I haven't had a chance to go back and find the other threads concerning this costume yet so I apologize if this question has alreay been addressed there.

:) Thanks!

2. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    You're in luck, because this is the only remaining thread from way back when. At least, that I know of.

Maggie has pictures up at the Padawan's Guide: http://www.padawansguide.com/leia_newhope/index.htm. (Yet another reason she's a wonderful person.)

3. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Ok, thanks!!! :D

God bless!

-Malz

4. Jedi-Nitess

Jedi-Nitess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

It looks like the hood doesn't attach like a normal cloak hood would. Is that the case, it's open in the back? Or did my tired eyes deceive me?

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    If I remember right, there *is* a small slit in the center-back of the hood that goes from the neck seam to... ??? I don't think it's very long, though.

The hood also attaches in the neck seam itself, rather than the standard cloak-attachment. So, no, your eyes did NOT deceive you. :)

6. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    It's not actually a slit. More like a long rectangle of fabric with the two short ends caught in the collar seam. The long edge of the rectangle forms that opening shown in the pictures when the hood is up.

There is a shot at the beginning of ANH, when she's lead to Vadar, where you can see a zipper tab at the top of the collar, and part of that seam running down her back. The way the hood drapes when it's down helps disguise that.

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    ah-hah! Well, that makes sense - it also accounts for the drape of the hood. Thanks for the clarification SP. :)

8. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    There is a shot at the beginning of ANH, when she's lead to Vadar, where you can see a zipper tab at the top of the collar, and part of that seam running down her back. The way the hood drapes when it's down helps disguise that.

So you think there's a seam down the center back of this gown? I guess I ask, as I've been wrangling with this for awhile. I'll have to look at the film again, in the scene you suggested, but I have a pic I scanned and blew up from the Action Figure Guide that suggests otherwise. It's a b/w posterity shot which comes from the same shoot as the other promo shots we've seen (if I can get it uploaded, I'll link it here tonight). And from that shot, I couldn't see a zipper, much less a center back seam. All I could see was the hook and eye at the collar seam. So I began to wonder if it wasn't just a very thin 5"-6" slit with a separate facing with a few hooks holding things together, but no center back seam (like the front).

I guess I'm fishing for more comments from everyone here on this. And God knows, I've been so busy lately with work and other costumes, I'm probably looking at my pic wrong or simply missing something glaringly obvious (I do that on occasion when I'm overwhelmed with projects), so what you said has really got me thinking about this now, StormtrooperPrincess.

Meanwhile, I'll get that pic uploaded tonight, and will watch the film again. :)

9. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    That's what I think I'm seeing, at least. :)

Just went back and looked on the first page at what Sarah had said in one of the other threads, and she calls it a back keyhole opening. Whatever kind of opening it is, it's hidden by the hood when it's down.

10. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Just went back and looked on the first page at what Sarah had said in one of the other threads, and she calls it a back keyhole opening.

I think I understand what she means. I purchased this pattern a couple of weeks ago, strictly for this reason (and for the collar):

[image=http://store.sewingtoday.com/cat/itm_img/7667.jpg]

I figured that if the gown truly doesn't have a center back seam, then I could use the information for the pseudo-keyhole neck in this pattern (the burgundy tunic is the inspiration of sorts), moving it from front to back, and adjusting accordingly. And you could, technically, hand stitch a zipper into that, if you wanted.

But I'm going to look into the possibility of a center back seam (we probably just don't notice it on-screen, especially when half of it is obscured by the hood). This would be a moderately troublesome method, and a center seam would just make things so much easier.

What do you think? :)

11. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    I think a center back seam is entirely plausible. You rarely get a full shot of the back of this dress, and the other shots are usually from the waist up with the hood down.

12. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Here's a link to the pic that made me wonder about this:

Leia Costume Reference Pics

(Pardon the Yahoo photo album--it's just the easiest for me upload for viewing--click on the Leia Costume reference pic album. :) ) It's the gap beneath the collar which makes me think it's a keyhole rather than a zipper, and I can't find a center back on it, either.
    I agree with you that a center seam is entirely plausible. :) You really wouldn't notice it at all. When I make the muslin this weekend, I'm going to try both, and see which I find better.

Thanks for your comments, StormtrooperPrincess. I always appreciate them. :)

13. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Ah. I haven't come across that one in my searches. A keyhole opening would definately be easier to do since we've talked about it probably being one folded piece of fabric (no visible shoulder seams) in the 2003 projects thread. :)

14. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    A keyhole opening would definately be easier to do since we've talked about it probably being one folded piece of fabric (no visible shoulder seams) in the 2003 projects thread.

Yeah. In fact, the more I look at that pic, the more I'm leaning toward the keyhole, so I'll try that first.

And notice how the sleeves are shaped? A somewhat straight sleeve with the bell really seeming to begin just below the elbow? I can see how that would make the sleeve a bit less bulky and a little more dainty--it contributes to the nice drape effect. This pic really is very telling for this costume. :)

15. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Pretty! A really nice way to get a very full sleeve at the wrist and not have the bottom of the arm hole at your waist. The Butterick pattern has really huge armholes; the ones for extra-small come down almost to my waist. (The dress is also twice as wide as I am, at least.) It's quite bizzare.

16. Tonin

Tonin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2001
    I think I just got myself even more confused.

How would you go about making it with out a visible shoulder seam?

And when you attach the ?hood? do you just gather it all together, or do you fold in half or thirds before attacking it to the base of the collar?

Tonin- who recently got a job to fund new found sewing hobby, just realizing the down side: no time to sew

17. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Hi Tonin!

How would you go about making it with out a visible shoulder seam?

Think of it as a big, fat cross folded in half, with the neckline cut into the fold.

And when you do the hood, you gather it all together in one fell swoop--don't fold in half or in thirds. The tiny gathers are what gives this hood it's fullness.

Hope that helps! :)

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Bumpity bump...

19. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I finished the dress with the hood. I majorly modified the dress because I can't stand to have anything near my throat so this is like a combo of the senatorial gown and Leia's celebration gown.

And now for the belt . . .

I SUPPORT THE MODS, THE RSAS AND THE FF

20. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
  21. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Yes, pictures please! :)

22. PappyCat

PappyCat Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    I'm going by Obi Wan's Guide (or whatever it's called...It's fabulous none the less) but I'm having trouble getting the pattern!

I'm not talking about the impossible-to-find butterick's costume pattern, but Simplicity 6673. I found it on their website, but since Simplicity doesn't sell online...I couldn't find it on monsterpatters.com either...Perhaps I'm just being silly, not looking in the right places.

I'm willing to go to a fabric store (where they sell patterns) but the closest one is about an hour's drive from here. (I live in a really small town) So I don't really want to drive down there and then not find it. :)

Anyway, if someone would please help me find this pattern, I would be forever greatful!

23. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Have you tried Wal-mart? It's not going to be in the Simplicity drawers, since it's New Look, but probably on a turning rack by the patterns. If they have it in stock.

24. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    There is also an email form you can fill out on the Simplicity website; in the past, I know they've done mail order for people who contacted them directly. I don't know if they still will, but it might be worth a try.
    At the bottom of every page of their site is a line that says "For further information contact our Consumer Relations Department. Click here."

25. PappyCat

PappyCat Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    We don't have a Walmart any where near, but I'm going to try calling Simplicity. Thanks guys! :)