main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia ANH First Gown...Help me... Obiwan Kenobi....;

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediMasterLeia, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    lavagrrl & Benae, you both look wonderful with the R2 mailboxes!

I recently finished my first attmept at this costume. I haven't experimented with the hair yet. (I suck at hair!) But I did get those boots I ordered off of ebay and I got them to unslouch quite a bit. I think they'll work fine for now. :)

I hope these links to my pictures work. Let me know if they don't. ;)

Dress and belt

Boots

2. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    OOh, that is beautiful! Great job. =D=

3. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    I agree with the above! [face_love] (though I am very curious how it looks on you *hint* *hint*)

4. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Very nice ObiDawn and we do need to see it on you (even without the hairbuns). And a back view.

At a convention this past weekend, I wore my ANH Leia (without hairbuns, buying the wigs this week) and played DDR in it. (photo of DDR Leia is on my photobucket site, link at the bottom of my posting) For a lightweight dress, that poly is amazingly warm (until you go out into 40 degree temps).

5. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Polyester does not breathe like natural fabrics. That's why I normally don't mind wearing this costume when it is on the chilly side. :)

6. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Says she who did perfect Padmé hair at CIII! :p

Your costume looks great Obi-Dawn!

7. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Dawn it looks great :D I agree, we need you to model the dress ;)

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Congrats on finishing your costume Dawn. It looks great! I can't wait to see you wearing it at a convention :)

9. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Wonderful, Obi-Dawn - the gown and belt look brilliant! :D

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thank you ladies! :)

I'll put it on sometime soon to take pics.

And thanks, Sola, but all the credit for the CIII hair has to go to Holly. [face_blush] She started on it the night before by sending me to bed with rollers and then continued putting it together the next day. Unbeknownst to her, I'll probably recruit her again to do my Leia buns at D*Con. ;)

11. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Obi-Dawn the dress looks incredible! You've done a brilliant job!!

I finally got to wear my new dress over the weekend. I love it to pieces! I still need to cut thinner belt plates, and finish the sleeve hem (it's just the selvedge at the moment), oh and get white boots, but other than that, I'm really happy with it! :D I might also have to remake the belt, as it's a tad too large, and slips down too low on me I think.

Anywho, here are some pics :D
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Princess%20Leia%20-%20Classic%20Senate/Version%20Three/IMG_6187b.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Princess%20Leia%20-%20Classic%20Senate/Version%20Three/becsfashion041.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Princess%20Leia%20-%20Classic%20Senate/Version%20Three/becsfashion040.jpg]

12. SWCostumer

Jan 31, 2005
    Just bought my wigs, 3 long straight ones and they were only $10 each. Now I get to take them apart to re-do the base one so you can't see the base netting. And take apart the other two to make the buns. Fun!

13. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    I've finished my hairbuns--I used braiding hair purchased at a beauty supply store (inexpensive at $15 in all) and wound them together. The only quirk is getting both buns identical...although they both look pretty good, they're not 100% symmetrical. Oh, well. Now I'm waiting to pick up my serger from the repair shop...once I have it, the dress will take no time to finish. This dress has been a welcome break, and so fun to do! A friend of mine wants me to make one for her little girl's school halloween party...:)

14. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Okay, maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I remember someone posting pics of their Clone-Wars-style Leia dress based on the GG maquette: http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/news_images/13848_41003_1.jpg But I've looked back in this thread and can't find it. Er...help?

15. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
  16. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Yes, that's the one I was thinking of! Thank you!

(And great job, Kell!)

17. CreedsGalBirdy

CreedsGalBirdy Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    I'm just wondering how many of you ladies that have used the Jet Set Poly from Joanne's have lined your dress? My last version of the dress was only one layer and very see-through so I ended up wearing a sleeveless, mock turtleneck unitard underneath. I don't actually want to line it because it can get hot and heavy. Any thoughts?

dani

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I always line the dresses I make - especially the ones using the jet set. The dress on display at the SW exhibits is lined too, so it is the movie accurate way to go as well.

19. SWCostumer

Jan 31, 2005
    I recently finished mine using the JetSet poly and I lined it with JetSet poly. I was going for screen accurate and the outer fabric and lining fabric look to be the same.

20. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I didn't line mine, as I felt it was thick enough not to need lining. I've never had a problem with it appearing too seethrough (thankfully). But I used a polyester interlock for mine.

21. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Mine is lined in the jet set poly as well, I wanted it to have that look of the promo photos where you can see that it is lined in the same fabric it is made out of. :)

22. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I also self lined mine with the Jet-Set poly. It's not too hot and not heavy at all, quite comfy in fact.
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/anhleia/websize/Leia%20Pose%2001.jpg]
    http://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/anhleia

23. lucialeria

lucialeria Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    <<I always line the dresses I make - especially the ones using the jet set. The dress on display at the SW exhibits is lined too, so it is the movie accurate way to go as well.>>

I don't want to spark any debates with this question but... is "lining" the same thing as one dress pattern with two layers?

The exhibit dress (skirt at least!) is lined, but this dress is the one from the end of Empire Strikes Back. I think the dress from ANH was simply one dress pattern with two layers of fabric on top of each other identical. Someday soon I'll discourse insights (of my seamster boyfriend) on hidden seams...

I got some great hi-res shots up the skirt and of the boots which I took lying on my back - in full pregnant tan Padme no less - I took at the museum about a week ago. I'll post them on my photobucket soon. On the museum dress I think the under layer is a different fabric than the outside poly. BUT on the ANH dress I believe the two fabrics were the same... and it wasn't poly IMHO. Clues to what I THINK it was can now be found in the undies department of your local Walmart stores and in white no less with percentages printed on labels, AND...

also visited Fabric district while in LA and down the street from Michael Levine's in a store going out of business underneath a filthy plastic wrap I scored about 40 yards of 60" white fabric of this exact kind. Don't know why I bought it, but I got a great price on the whole bolt. I know I've been reticent discussing fabric specifics before but after C4 - probably during - I intend to share all. Marie (is she on these boards?!) can attest that in person my passion for talking about just the dress FABRIC can test the saintliness of natures. And for good measure I have to point out again that my observation is NOT original and HAS been posted already on this board a long time ago...

So Kathy...

I've misplaced the place where there was a discussion on the White Leia photo op at C4, please repost or message! Was it a forum? Had INSPIRED suggestion from Shawn on when to schedule it... what do you think about coordinating this shoot with R2 builders club photo op? Then lots of Leias could be photographed with LOTS of R2s!!! I've been searching everywhere for the time for THAT shoot, but so far no luck. But I'll find it! If not, I'll email someone to find out.

Let me know what you think,
    Alli

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, a lining can be the same exact pattern as the outer layer of a garment. This is how the costume on display at the exhibit was done. Sometimes it's just slightly shorter or what have you, since linings can be installed any number of ways :) So, what you have described above for ANH and Empire are pretty much identical processes.

Hehe - I totally love your obsession with the fabric on this dress Alli! So, once again I hope you don't mind if we disagree :) I really strongly believe that the lining on the Museum dress is made of the same fabric the outer dress is made of. The weave and texture is identical. Check my photos below. The sleeve is the best place to see the identical nature of the lining fabric actually.

I have tons of high res photos I just now remembered to start combing through to upload to image event!

Princess Leia - WSMI Exhibit Photos
    I'll be uploading more photos of Leia and other costumes eventually, this was just my first batch of Leia that I'd worked through.

Notably, I got a great shot of the way the hem is constructed. You have to look closely at the stitching in this Hi Res Image. When the lining layer (which is the same fabric as the outer layer) was slipped into the dress and sewn in, they finished it off by sewing a long running stitch all the way around the bottom of the hem area to keep the 2 layers aligned at the bottom and make them behave as one piece BEFORE folding the hem under (kind of like what you do when you flatline fabric). The running stitch is kind of a yellowy cream color and easy to see. Those 2 layers were then treated as one and folded under like a traditional hem would be done on a single layer of fabric, and blind hem stitched. The blind hem stitch is done in fine white thread just above that yellow running stitch. I suspect the blind hem stitch just goes through the inner lining layer so it doesn't pull our show through the outer layer at all.

So essentially, it isn't a free hanging lining, and it isn't a bag-lined type of hem either!

Low Res
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/kay_dee/swwsmi/princessleiar2d2c3p0/websize/IMG_7272.jpg]

I also got a great shot of the 3 hooks and eyes I discovered on Preview night at the exhibit.

Low Res
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/kay_dee/swwsmi/princessleiar2d2c3p0/websize/IMG_72681.jpg]

Finally, I also got a shot of the seam on the turtle neck. I had always wondered if the turtle neck was comprised of 2 pieces joined by a seam at the top, or if it was one piece folded over at the top. Now I know!

Low Res
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/kay_dee/swwsmi/princessleiar2d2c3p0/websize/IMG_7259.jpg]

25. SWCostumer

Jan 31, 2005
    Alli, I also get a kick out of your obsession with the fabric for this dress. I still believe that the ANH screen dress was made from Qiana. This was a trademarked man-made fiber in the nylon family manufactured by duPont. I still have some costumes pieces made with Qiana.

If anyone who has never handled Qiana would want to see some, I will bring along my harem pants that I made using this fabric.

Nancy