main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia ANH First Gown...Help me... Obiwan Kenobi....;

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediMasterLeia, Jul 29, 2002.

1. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Pre-made buns? Great idea. Saturday morning I spent an entire hour fighting to make two symmetrical buns with my own hair. Not a happy princess by the time that battle was finished. ;)

2. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I've gotten it down to 30 mins on average, though I've taken 15 mins before and I've taken over an hour! But I have been considering the premade buns, coz often I just don't have time to spend on my hair (often I have to do it at home, and travel to the event with the buns - makes for quite a sight!). Do you have any pictures at all of how you made them, or could you do a bit of a tutorial?

3. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I personally haven't made any yet, but after Saturday's hair drama I plan to.

I already have waist-length hair, so what I end up doing probably won't work for a lot of people. But I will document the process.

4. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002

I'm terrible about taking progress pictures unless I'm specifically reminded to.

What I did was bought some cotton in the same color of brown as my hair and the extensions. I cut large cirles about the same size as I wanted the buns to be, then I basted in a hem around the edge. Once the fabric was prepped, I stiched two hair extensions just above the center of the circle, using the fold the hair comes with in the package. The first extension I laid down, hot glued in place, then slowly wound around, gluing as I went. Once I had about 5 inches left of unglued hair on the first extension, I started to blend in the second, twisting loosely as I went and gluing occasionally. Once the buns were fashioned, I flipped them over and stitched hair combs in place.

In total, when I get ready, I use about 5 bobby pins and two combs. I store them in hair nets and a soft little bag.

What I will do for you, if you remind me through here or Dev Art, is sit down an wrap a set with the intention of taking pictures of the progress of how I did it. I just need to get my friend's wedding garb made. She's getting married at Renaissance Festival on July 7th. I'm nearing completion on her corset, and her fiance's Musketeer tunic needs buttons.

5. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I never take photos either :p

The process sounds simple enough, just trying to visualise it in my head. I'm just trying to work out how the second one fits in with the first. But I would definitely appreciate photos if you can :D Even just some good close up shots of your current ones.

I'm thinking this is probably going to be a better way to do it, and will certainly save a lot of time! How do you fit your hair under the buns though?

The wedding garb sounds great :D I do hope you'll post pictures on DA when you're finished :D

6. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I really go by how I feel the day is going to be important, if it's a fun event with my local fanforce I just wear my pre-made wig, it's heavy but there'll be no shocked or mortified little faces if I take it off out of annoyance and let someone else run around wearing it. [face_laugh]

However, I've got a big event coming up in November, my state's annual Christmas Pageant (the one that gets shown around the world,) and I've been given the role as Leia. (I'm still dancing on top of the rooftops over this, can you tell? LOL [face_dancing] ) I have to be up really early in the morning, but I'm going to wake up at least an hour before I have to leave to get there so I can get out the fake hair and pins to do my hair by hand.

I think the easiest way to get around it is judge, 1. How important is the event? 2. Is it for charity? or Will there be a lot of little kids around? 3. How much time you have on the day? 4. Is there a lot involved with your role as Leia i.e interacting with a lot of kids, spending practically the entire day in costume?

I have three methods I break it down into: Wig, pre-made buns, hair extentions.

This way, each event is judged by how long or how very, very important. This way also can be negotiated if you're late or have all the time in the galaxy. (Leia must have been doing her hair all the way through the hyperspace jump to Tatooine. ;) )

My method for the premade buns is really just jumbo braid or another mound of hair extentions, twirl two into bun shapes and pin them around in a hairnet each, then just pin them to your existing hair or smaller buns on either side of your head. :)

7. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Agh, just got the news my fanforce's involvment in the pagent won't be required untill next year now. :( Oh well, gives me more time to kill to make alterations I guess. ;)

8. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    and who knows what they will want from us next year! lol They seemed a bit undecided from the start anyway. A year will give everyone time :) I think that maybe the SAFF Costuming Portfolio will come in handy after all :)

9. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Does anyone know where I can get Leia's blaster from and arond how much it would be??

Thanks!

10. njtleia

njtleia Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2006
    HELP! I need help with the buns..... I have purchased lots & lots of jumbo loose hair. I just can't get it right.... what is the secret? I tried making premade buns, but it didn't turn out (hotglue & sewing onto fabric turned out just awful!)

Please does anyone have any secrets on getting them attached to the sides of the head.. It probably will be so simple, but I just can't get it right...

I start with a bun on the side of my head with my real hair......

Thak you in advance!!!

11. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
  12. njtleia

njtleia Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2006
    Thank You Thank You! I can't wait to try this out.... this is exactly what I needed....

I really want to hide my mini bun, because I have layers cut into my hair, and wisps stick out everywhere..... I thought about the really good wig out there for sale, but am a blonde, and want to go as a blonde without wearing a hot wig.... This is really helpful.... Can I call on you for more advice if I need it???

Thanks again So MUCH!

13. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Feel free to ask as many questions as you like! I need to eventually take better photos, but that's all I have for now. Good luck! :D

14. njtleia

njtleia Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2006
    We did it!

This technique worked perfectly..... Thank you so much......

I can't believe I had so much trouble before, but was way off getting the extentions attached..... Just took someone else's perspective to explain...

Thanks Again!

15. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    All I have left to work on for this costume is the Leia buns. I get to wear it for the first time this weekend to a convention.

I did have a question. What did y'all use for the boots? I went with what was recomended on Padawan's Guide and got these:

http://www.gothamshoes.com/mall/bikerboot.asp

When I got them though I was a little disapointed. They don't come all the way up to where they are supposed to be and a really filmsy and big in the leg. I don't think it's worth sending them back though, especially since I need them for this weekend. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or am I being too obsessive over a part of the costume most people won't notice.

Here are pics of my boots:

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/Classic%20Leia/DSC_0095.jpg]

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/Classic%20Leia/DSC_0093.jpg]

16. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Not in the slightest! If it didn't have the splits like the real costume does I'd say it doesn't matter, but accuracy is what you feel the situation calls for. If you want to give the illusion of knee-high boots, you can always add boot-covers, they're pretty easy to knock up, or you can buy them here: Costume Craze

If you scroll down a bit they have white Adult Vinyl Costume Boot Tops covers which you can slip over the boots you already have. :) Or you can search through ebay.

Some of the info on PG is a little outdated, but mostly eveything is kept up to date on this costume thread. ;)

17. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Thanks. :)

I was actually considering adding something to the top to make them higher. I won't do anything to the boots for this weekend but maybe later.

18. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Thanks for all your help! I finished my gown and I'm ready to go out into the world as Leia! Here are my test photos:

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/Classic%20Leia/IMG_7338.jpg]

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/Classic%20Leia/IMG_7343.jpg]
    I'm planning on getting another gun. I just grabbed that one from my room. lol.

19. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yay! You look cute! This costume always comes in handy. It's the one the general public recognizes the most out of the female costumes. (The guys have it so lucky, there are many more well known male characters and costumes in Star Wars!)

20. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Great Job! It is really a fun costume to be in. :D

I have the same boots. They are short, but until I can convince myself to spend the money on the Motor Cowboy boots, they work well enough.

21. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    It looks brilliant, Siri - you did an excellent job! :)

22. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Thanks for your compliments! I really love this costume. I can't wait to wear it again. I'm still struggling with the hair buns tough. I really to premake mine so all I have to do is pin them on my head. The hair I got from Sally's is already tangled up. I probably could wear it one more them then after that I'll have to find something else.

23. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Over the weekend I had the chance to take studio stills of my Leia gown at my school. I think they came out great!

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/Classic%20Leia/DSC_0026.jpg]

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/Classic%20Leia/DSC_0003.jpg]

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/Classic%20Leia/DSC_0001.jpg]

24. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh wow! Lucky you Jedi-Siri! I think you should have the 2nd photo made into a sig file at Rebel Legion :)

25. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    That was the one I was thinking too! I love how the photos came out. My parents came down for Parents' Weekend at my school and so I was like, 'hey dad, while you're here.' lol.