main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia ANH First Gown...Help me... Obiwan Kenobi....;

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediMasterLeia, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I came up with the idea on the weekend, so then I just put a rubberband around them to turn them into hairballs. I am planning to make them more permanent. At least the foundation, I will always have to twist the wig hair over the buns when I'm wearing them.

Now this wig isn't going to last forever, so when it's too worn out then I'm planning on buying a wig with shorter hair and make two permanent buns that I can pin on to it. At first when I started using the wig I thought it would be possible to keep it styled all the time, but with travelling and keeping it in bags that turned out to be impossible. That's why I think a shorter wig with two loose, but permanent buns, is the best way to go in the future.

2. hopefuljedi

hopefuljedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2011
    This is an out of print pattern, I was lucky enough to find one on ebay, but it was about $44. It was a pattern of this Leia dress and one of Padme's from RotS.

3. gothlips

gothlips Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2011
    Has anyone else tried to recreate the buns with the same number of 'twists' as in the movie? I've noticed some people just keep winding and winding the hair around and get a huge cinnamon bun, but it appears from pictures there were really only 2 or 3 really thick wraps.

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/ss11.jpg]

4. gothlips

gothlips Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2011
    Alrighty so I purchased some fabric from Joann's to get this thing rolling but after staying up all night to read this entire thread I decided I needed something different (so I could line it).

This is what I've got:

5 Yards of White Posh Lining
    5 Yards of Swim/dance Knit-White

This is the fabric I returned.

So I went from a 94% Cotton 6% Spandex to 87% Nylon, 13% Spandex. Thoughts?

I felt like lining it with the swim/dance knit itself made it too thick and not as slinky as I wanted, so I chose to line it with something different that is a LOT thinner and soft. We'll see how difficult it is sewing these two things together, haha.

I know they both say different widths, but measured in the store, they were both 60".

My Joann's also had something called Jet-Set Knit, which I'm not sure if thats the same as the Jet Set Interlock, but the knit didn't seem slinky enough at ALL.

Wish me luck :D

Edit: Anyone have any luck ironing Nylon blends? The swim/dance knit says hand wash, line dry and no iron. I thought I'd try putting on delicate washer setting with cold water, putting on air dry low in the dryer, and ironing with no steam, thoughts?

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Most use the jet set knit from JoAnn's that's polyester. (label may just say knit, or interlock, it's the same difference).

The posh lining doesn't sound quite right, but I've never seen it.

The Dance knit might be OK, but I have not seen it either.

I think the costume requires a good 10 yards or so because you do need to line it with the same fabric you use for the outside of the costume (called self lining). So just one fabric type should do. switching to different lining can sometimes look a bit off, and not drape consistently since it's stretch.

Yup, you can't iron nylon. The heat melts nylon - it is nothing to do with steam or no steam. Try a spare scrap, low heat, with a press cloth. See how that goes. Honestly, I you probably just don't need to iron anything on the costume. And if you really need to, do the reverse. Hold the iron above the fabric, push out a jet of steam, then with your fingers press the fabric. This will help finger press it without melting it. But please, try on scraps because melting a hole in your costume would be a disaster.

On a side note - I usually suggest stretch knit iron on interfacing in the neck because everyone's mock turtleneck necks seems to stretch out and get too floppy. But I don't think you can iron anything into nylon so you'd have to try a sew in interfacing and I'm not sure what good that would do.

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I can confirm this: Nylon cannot be ironed. If it does get creased or crushed you need to hang it overnight on a padded hanger, as it's stretch the creases will just fall out.

7. gothlips

gothlips Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2011
    Has anyone written this thing up and found equivalent make ups?

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/makeup3.jpg]

8. TwoSeven

TwoSeven Jedi Padawan

Aug 6, 2011
    Holy... That's some intense accuracy-hunting list. Didn't realize that female character costumes had to be as precise as that, especially regarding how heavily made up Leia's face is in ANH :p

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well you need a lot of makeup to look natural on film.

10. gothlips

gothlips Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2011
    yea, hehe. I don't intend on wearing all the pancake makeup, but I would like to get the blush, lips and eyes colors matching as much as I can.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't normally wear makeup, but I always do when I'm wearing my Leia. Not the least because I know people will take photos.

12. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    We just read the photo of the list :)

All those colors have to be long discontinued, but we can get the idea of modern things to try based on the names of the colors and looking at photos. In the end though, sometimes women are better off choosing make-up colors that look best on them. I tried to go the warmer toned cinnamon lipstick route for the ROTJ make-up and it does not look so great on me. So I add a bit more pink to the lipstick to keep it from looking muddy and dull on my skin tone.

13. gothlips

gothlips Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2011

I think it turned out pretty good :)

[image=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ahMdXnpaA2k/TmGhLlpHDBI/AAAAAAAALNs/-Sk-Rs61hJg/s640/dcon%252520027.JPG]

14. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    i think that looks dead on. Very nice! great job!