main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leia as a Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ORCADEMON, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ORCADEMON

ORCADEMON Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2002
    If luke had turned, would Leia have been able to take his place? Could Yoda have trained her(even as a Force ghost)?

2. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Doubt it.

JEDI HEAVEN

Obi-Wan walks to Yoda.

Obi-Wan: Luke turned.

Yoda: Bummer.

Obi-Wan: You can appear to Leia and train her.

Yoda: Aww, I've just sat down.

Obi-Wan: But Yoda...

Yoda: No. I'm resting screw the universe.*sleeps*

3. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I think she could be trained as a Jedi, but I'm not convinced that she could have rescued Anakin and Luke from the Dark Side. Yes, she has an emptional connection, but I still maintain that a big reason Anakin could return was that he saw himself as he had been mirrored in Luke. Leia is much more like Padme than either Anakin or Luke, who are themselves very close in upbringing. Maybe she could have-- as I said, she has the connection-- but I think her approach would have to be fundamentally different than Luke's. Even apart from the difficulty of either killing or returning to the light side not just one, but both men, who are indescribably powerful in the force.

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I think that she probably has a few surprises just like Padme in the prequels. Too bad Padme didn't live until ROTJ to see what kind of mess this turned into. The Force is strong with the entire family. So Leia has the Force, but I don't know if she'd withstand the power of the dark side.

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I always wondered if Leia was actually more susceptible to the Dark Side than Luke. It's not that I think she's weak-willed...merely that I see alot of Anakin's fierce anger and tendency toward grudges in her. If someone hurts her or those she cares about, she doesn't forget it, and it takes alot to win her back. Besides...Vader tortured and destroyed her home planet. I can't see her bringing herself to sympathize with him enough to want to save him, though she would definitely go after Luke.

Oddly enough, as powerful as Leia might be, I never saw her as a Jedi. I think she can be trained (and most likely would be later after ROTJ) to use the Force, but I don't think she'd ever reach the level of Jedi Knight. I think she's a bit too grounded in the tangible reality of the world around her to really allow herself to let go as the Force demands of its users. (Well, that, and Jedi dedicated their lives to the Force, to a degree. Leia's an important political figure who really doesn't have the time. You can't be one and not the other.)

6. Angela_Russell

Angela_Russell Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 6, 2004
    I don't think Leia is any different to Luke. They both lost their homes by the Empire, they're both impacient and they both have a lot of anger. Leia might not have the same connection Luke has to Anakin, but she does have a connection to Padme which makes her similar to her mother which gives her an advantage. Plus as far as who's powerful goes, their twins! Twins usually have identical genes which makes them pretty much even.

Ciao!

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Uh...no they don't. Identical twins do, but Luke and Leia are fraternal twins. They're basically just two different people that happened to share the same womb, two different eggs fertilized by different sperm, with different genetic sets. (And how do we know they're fraternal? Because identical twins cannot be opposite sexes.)

I would consider Leia possibly more susceptible simply because (if the scenario is her joining him on the Death Star in ROTJ) she wouldn't have the training and experience with both sides of the Force to recognize when she's abusing either. Her temper is almost as fast, if not faster, than Luke's given the right situation. It's very possible that the emperor would have a much easier time baiting her than Luke. Mind you, this isn't a weakness of her *character.* Part of the reason I like some of the EU is that it focuses on the different strenghts Luke and Leia have in the Force. I just think that in such a situation, Luke's training with Yoda, facing off with Vader, and his knowledge of his own feelings and flaws would give him a slight edge...but as we saw in ROTJ, not by much.

8. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I think Leia is much more like her father however I don't think she has the idealsism Luke does, Leia can be seen as very jaded and with good reason. I think it had to be Luke to save Vader because he never or almost never gave up believeing. Leia as said is more grounded, and short sighted when it comes to her father. It's hard for her to open her mind. Luke got to at least meet Anakin for a while, all Leia knew was the monster who murdered her whole planet.
    As for being a Jedi I believe Leia has the potential to be as powerful as Luke or Anakin, however her route is in politics as was her mothers, and her adoptive father.

9. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Good points all around. Interesting note of fact, and it seems too coincidental not to be done on purpose, but the name Luke means "bringer of light" and Leia means "weary." Part of what makes Luke and Leia's relationship as sister and brother work so well is that they've got a mix of their parents personality traits in each of them, but also have enough of their own personalities and experience to compliment each other well. It's a shame the EU never really jumped at the chance to have a really strong focus on Luke and Leia's sibling relationship.

10. I_Worship_Sidious

I_Worship_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2004
    Slightly off-topic.

Do you think Leia has ever met the Emperor face-to-face at any point? Maybe like a meeting between Heads of State (e.g. Putin and Chirac).

11. Angela_Russell

Angela_Russell Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 6, 2004
    I think she might have being a member of the senate.

Ciao!

12. Admiral_Palleon

Admiral_Palleon Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2004
    I don't think so - when the emporor was around, she was just an alderaanean princess

(by the way, the story above should read "AAW, but just sat down have I")

13. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    Hmmm...interesting.

My take on it is that Leia is potentially just as powerful as Luke, but as she is far more worldy (galactic?)than he is and lacks his naivete and idealism, she is not the same template over which to layer Jedi training. Luke is, in a sense, purer of heart because of his sheer innocence, and closer to being like the Jedi younglings.

Plus, as has been mentioned, Leia seems to have been groomed all her life for a career in politics, whereas Luke, with Obi-wan watching over him, was meant to train as a Jedi.(On a side note, I suspect the original plan was for Ben to train Luke from infancy, but Owen refused to allow it.)

There is also the matter of Leia's personality: she's fiery and mercurial, imperious and quick to anger. She refuses to take any bull puckey from anybody, including Vader and Tarkin. Perhaps Ben and Yoda kept an eye on these children from the beginning, deciding early on that Leia had too much of her father's temperament and Luke would be less likely to be tempted by the dark side.

Maybe ROTS will shed some light on this.

14. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    I think so. I think being in office can only help her to utilize more efficiently the responsiblities of being a Jedi and following the Code. Maybe she could have been more of a liason (sp?) if you will between the Jedi and the Senate. Someone with her skills at debate and leadership coupled with being a Jedi would only enhance her ability to strengthen cooperation between the Republic and the Jedi, IMO.

15. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    IMO Leia should have been the Skywalker twin selected for the training rather than Luke.

Don't get me wrong Luke is exceptionally driven, intelligent and possesed of an unusually kindly and compassionate nature. He is a great human being and a fine Jedi. It is his love for his father that brings Anakin back.

Leia however is more of a natural for a Jedi. She is no less intelligent than Luke and far better educated in the ways of the galaxy and she is a leader in the alliance so she understands the battles she is fighting better than a grunt in the trenches like Luke. She is also very dedicated and stubborn when she sets her mind to something unlike wishy washy Luke and she is dedicated to her duty. She would die for the rebellion. When Alderaan was obliterated did she react with rage or wallow in self-pity? No. She fought and did her duty. Hell even Luke wallowed after Ben died. I am certain that she would throw herself into Jedi training and reveal that she is very much her fathers child in talent and skill.

In short I think she would have approached the battle with Vader and Palpatine differently. It would have been more of a civics lesson to Palps I think but I doubt she'd even have to draw on Vader. I think the reminder of his bride that was that Leia embodies as well as the mind persuasion she'd be casting on Vader the whole time would cause Vader to hesitate fighting his formidable child and would Force a battle between Palps and Leia. I think a Leia/Palps fight would be similar to Obi-Wan/Dooku and that in the end Anakin would reawaken and save his daughter.

Luke reminded Anakin of the young Jedi that he once was. Leia would remind him of the duty that he had forsaken and of the wife that would not have shirked her duty as he did.

16. DarthStarkiller5

DarthStarkiller5 Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2004
    it would be pretty cool to see leia as a jedi...but what color blade would she have???

"no money...no parts...no deal!"-watto

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    ^ Red, if the novels are any indication

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Nah for the movies she wouldn't use red because then you'd have red vs red saber. She'd either have blue or green or maybe aqua :)

19. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I don't think Leia would make a good Jedi.

For starters she's very much in love with Han. Attachment being forbidden not withstanding, there is a 'clouding' of judgement that Leia would have to overcome and I doubt she could do it.

Leia is very much like Anakin, in relation to not accepting things they believe could be different. Nothing is absolute, exceptions to the rules and so forth.

Luke on the otherhand is very much like Padme, idealistic, optimistic, and in some cases, niave.

Like Anakin, Leia believes that 'people should be made to,' ie, her Rebellion as opposed to Anakin's assistance to the Empire.

Padme belives in maintaining what works with democratic flavor. Luke is much like that, in realtion to this, blindly following Leia out of love and desire for adventure, at the same time beliving that in the name of freedom he's helping to serve others.

At the risk of giving a slight Ep3 spolier, you can see more proof of the opposite motif with Luke and Padme in relation to Death Star 2 duel where Vader makes a choice to save his son.

Its not a cirlce with these Skywalkers;

Its a figure eight.

Vader had a point about Leia turning.

She would if her back was against the wall. Take away her rebellion, Han, Luke and her hope for the galaxy and you'd have one 'loving daughter'

;)

20. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Ya know i've seen this idea of Leia being a Jedi brought up alot and there is always a lot of reasons why she wouldn't be a good Jedi n she'd go right to the dark side cause she is too much like her father.(even though Yoda said Luke is much like his father but what the hell does Yoda know, he is a old crazy Jedi Master and not good at comparing stuff like that :p )

Anyways I just wanted to know what if Leia was just like Luke in personality , temperement and everything, then which of the two would you rather see become the Jedi ?

For me it would be Leia. pretty obvious if you see my ICon and quotes. I think the movies would of worked just as well for me, if it was Leia finding out that Darth Vader is her dad instead of Luke, but thats just my opinion.

21. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    "I don't think so - when the emporor was around, she was just an alderaanean princess" - Admiral Palleon

Have to disagree:
    Wasn't Leia a member of the Imperial Senate in ANH?

And it is after her capture that news of the disolution of the Senate is announced by Tarkin.

So it is possible she would have met Emperor Palpatine.

Leia was not 'just an Alderaanean Princess' she was a Senator.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    She very well could have met Emperor Palpatine. She also very well could have seen him during senate meetings

23. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I think that while Leia has attributes that are good for a jedi knight, such as intelligence, strength, and bravery, overall, Luke is the better choice. Luke trusts in the Force and in his feelings, whereas Leia is more skeptical, sarcastic, and follows logic. Killing Vader would have been logical to her. It would help stop the Empire and at least allow her to get to Palpatine so that she could try to kill him as well. I doubt that Saving Vader would have served no purpose to her or the Alliance. Palpatine could have then used her hate towards Vader to turn her to the dark side. Luke is a much less logical person than Leia. Instead of wanting to play it safe and become a moisture farmer on Tatooine, he wants to join the Academy and become a pilot. He goes along with Obi-Wan on a dangerous mission when he could have stayed behind. Luke goes to Dagobah without being fully aware of why he is going. Luke lets the Force and his feelings guide him, Leia follows common sense and her sense of duty.

24. Obi-one-Kenobi

Obi-one-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2005
    I wanted to put one thing in there... do light saber duels have anything to do with physical strength. I mean Obi Was seems to have a hard time v Vader... he gets pushed back all the time. Ant they often push the lightsabers away from one another. So if it does have something to do with physical strength wouldnt that be a disadvantage for Leia?

25. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It was Luke's destiny to succeed. And even in the unlikely case that Luke failed, Leia could never take his place. Leia has the force in her, but she's not that strong-- strong enough to be a Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.