Leia did not have to have been very old to retain some memories of her mother

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by PDZSY, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Psychology says that kids don't remember anything before about 3 years old.

And science dictates that lightsabers and lightspeed are impossible ;)
    Much less sound in space ;)
    Heck, even the Force!
    In the end, if it serves the story better, science and what not can and will be changed.
  2. BobaFett688 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Let's assume that the twins are born in Episode III (shown on screen).

Let's assume, but let's hope not.

ANAKIN: Push, honey push!
    PADME: SHUT UP! I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR CRAP! YOU DON'T EVEN LOVE ME!
    ANAKIN: Of course I do. I've always loved you, honey!
    PADME: SHUT UP!
    ANAKIN: You're doing great, honey. Just keep pushing. Squeeze my hand!
    Padmé squeezes his hand as hard as possible and we hear a few large "CRACK!"'s.
  3. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    remind you of any one?

PADME': This is ALL YOUR FAULT!

*DB wipes the tears of laughter form her eyes
  4. IamZam Jedi Master

star 4
    disagree with the sentiment that Leia could remember things about Padme at age 1 or 2. Ask yourself how much you remember of your life at that age.

I have distinct memories, well images and feelings of somethign that I was told happened when I was at most 18 mos old. Not actually event memories, but images of a wall, a specific blanket pattern, being carried, feeling scared. And I am a normal human in the Real world.

I have no problem with her having memories form babyhood. This the same GFFA where 14 year olds are elected ruler of a planet, (and not the youngest either) and 9 year olds are the best pilots around, and hold full time jobs fixing very complicated machinery and building droids for fun. Apparently child development follows a very different time table here.

Also ask yourself, when LUke tells her the truth, why else would she be able to run a quick internal data check (search your feelings), and know without a doubt that he is telling the truth. and Like wise Luke figured it out, by the same internal data check with out Obi Wan telling him.

These are not normal babies. They are force sensitives, born in the GFFA. They are hero twins, not regualar people.
  5. PDZSY Jedi Knight

star 1
    "I have no problem with her having memories form babyhood. This the same GFFA where 14 year olds are elected ruler of a planet, (and not the youngest either) and 9 year olds are the best pilots around, and hold full time jobs fixing very complicated machinery and building droids for fun. Apparently child development follows a very different time table here."

Great points, IamZam. I hadn't thought of that, and it makes perfect sense. If a 14-year-old can rule a planet and a nine-year-old fly pods and destroy Trade Federation Control Ships, there is no reason why a very young Force-sensitive baby can't remember her mother. Like you said, we need to stop being so factual and by-the-book, and instead, just trust the Force's powers.

I just thought of something else. According to Anakin, he's the only human who can race pods. Now if humans cannot race pods, how on Earth can an nine-year-old slave boy do it? The answer to that question is he has Force ability. Without it, he wouldn't be able to race pods and fly Naboo Fighters into battle. It's like Qui-Gon said: "You must have Jedi reflexes if you race pods." and, "He has special powers. He can see things before they happen." and last, but not least, "It is a Jedi trait, The Force is unusually strong with him."

The point is just because an average human can't have images and feelings that far back, it doesn't mean a Jedi can't. Also, when Qui-Gon said the Force was unusually strong with him, it is logical to assume that his offspring would be "unusually strong" too. With the GFFA playing out like it is, it would not surprise me in the least if Leia could have images and feelings of her mother at day 3. This is Star Wars, afterall. Anything is possible, especially anything in relation to the Force.
  6. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    This is one of he problems I have with many of the fanbase is that they need absolute closure on things.
    If Padme were to survive then no doubt people will moan because its a missing piece and messes up the holy OT
    Whereas you have the issue that Padme dies and since Luke & Leia from official source (well about as official as you can get) Rick McCallum are born in Episode 3, then how does Leia maintain any memory.
    Obviously you have to believe the unbelieveable (which is what fantasy is) and so Leia can have a memory as she is born and the last few days she has with her mother.
    Sometimes I hate speculation ;) Maybe I'll stick to what is mor or less easier to speculate on. Good idea
  7. tabbafett Jedi Knight

star 2
    It makes sense for her to be 1 or under. If she had been any older she would have been able to remember alot more than just images and feelings. Possibly even a story of a time spent with her. Tucking her into bed or a bedtime story, things of this nature.

And I think this is along the same lines as what DarthTerrious was saying. I've never heard anyone in all my life of being a Star Wars freak question the science of a lightsaber. It's just, "man I wish I had one of those." I've said this before on another thread, I think some fans are forgetting the most valuable thing about Star Wars. It's FUN. It begs you to imagine, sparks creativity, it makes (at least me) want to force grab a lightsaber and take on Emperor Palpatines agents of evil. The "force" is such an awesome idea. It makes what would seem like a miracle an everyday occurance. And with this force the impossible can happen. So yes "believe the unbelievable."

8. PDZSY Jedi Knight

star 1
    "It makes sense for her to be 1 or under. If she had been any older she would have been able to remember alot more than just images and feelings. Possibly even a story of a time spent with her. Tucking her into bed or a bedtime story, things of this nature."
    --Tabbafett

You hit the nail on the head, Tabbafett. Great post and excellent points! A lot of people think that having Padme' die when Leia is 1 or under would mess up that part in ROTJ, but I wonder if they ever thought about how much it would mess it up if Padme' didn't die when Leia was young. The whole "images, feelings, ect." part in ROTJ would be confusing if Padme' didn't die when she was young. For those of you who don't believe this, watch that part in ROTJ, and think about what effect it would have and how confusing it would be if Padme' died when Leia was 2-5 years of age.

"I think some fans are forgetting the most valuable thing about Star Wars. It's FUN. It begs you to imagine, sparks creativity, it makes (at least me) want to force grab a lightsaber and take on Emperor Palpatines agents of evil. The "force" is such an awesome idea. It makes what would seem like a miracle an everyday occurance. And with this force the impossible can happen. So yes "believe the unbelievable."
    --Tabbafett

This is exactly how I feel. STAR WARS IS FUN. simple as that. George Lucas isn't going to let simple logic stand in the way of showing Padme's (one of the three main characters in the PT) death on-screen. Some people have this idea stuck in their mind that the Force has such limited powers, but like you said, it makes what would seem like a miracle an every day appearance. To sum this up, I'm just going to say one thing. "Believe the unbelievable", because in Star Wars it could and most likely will happen. Great posts!
  9. Keyan_Stele Force Ghost

star 2
    I remember reading somewhere about a year ago in an interview with Lucas that he said that Luke was about 3 years old when he was placed in the care of Owen and Beru. Now we're all figuring at least a few years between Ep. II and III, so there's enough time for the kids to be born and age a year or two at least probably.

I know this info. is not up to the exacting standards people desire to see on message boards in terms of quoting source materials, but it was just a magazine interview I read once. Maybe someone else remembers more about it than I do?

10. Lukecash Jedi Master

star 4
    The big problem with Luke and Leia being 3 is a couple of things.

1)How could Padme or why would Padme hide the children from Anakin? According to Obi Wan, Anakin didn't even know she was pregnant. Neither did the Emperor.

2) How could Padme, being a public figure, keep her being prengant a secret? And how would Anakin, NOT know she is pregnant if it got out?

11. PDZSY Jedi Knight

star 1
    Like I've said before, I do not think that Luke and Leia will already be born in Episode III, I honesly think it could be one of the movie's first scenes. Of course, they couldn't actually show them being born, but they could have Padme' walking out of a hospital of some kind with two bundles in her arms. If they did this, and if my theories are true about Leia being able to remember her mother when she was very young, this would be a fairly logical way to begin the movie. Of course, the only problem is that if Leia has the ability to retain images and feelings in just a matter of days, that would mean Luke would also have that ability. This means that Luke would have to be separated almost immediately after birth. I guess it would be better if the movie had the birth of Luke and Leia somewhere in the middle. That way, it'll leave more time for Padme' and Anakin to get into a big fight, and Padme decide to hide the children from him. This is a very confusing issue, but don't worry, I'm sure Lucas has got a great way to get all this in the movie and make it fit. He always does, afterall. Anyway, good thoughts. I look forward to more posts.
  12. PDZSY Jedi Knight

star 1
    So...does anyone have anything to say? To tell you the truth, I'm getting kind of bored. I thought this was a good thread that had really good discusions. I'm not abandoning this thread, I check it at least three times a day. If you write something, I will respond. So come on, surely you have more thoughts on this very important issue. I look forward to your posts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.