main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia Endor-Ewok Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Monterra, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monterra

Monterra Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2002
    Hey :)

I've been lurking here for some while, its interesting to read about other people's projects... Maybe some day I'll make a pwetty Padmé dress too ;)

But for now, I have my eyes on the Endor-ewok-village costume... I looked through the last 30 pages or something, but didn't find a topic about this one. ;)

This is the only pic I have of this dress... wondering if someone had more? :/

[image=http://koti.mbnet.fi/~monterra/stuff/roj42.jpg]

Tips and tricks welcomed :)

S_S edit: just unlocking

2. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    Its like making a peter pan costume only a dress. Pretty much, its really the same.

But I can help look...

BBS

3. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Brandi Messee, who has made every single Leia costume except for the Bespin gowns. She had her Ewok village Leia at SWC2. You could try talking to her. She can be reached through the Hothlanta Rebels or through the Rebel Legion.

4. Monterra

Monterra Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2002
    Thanks for the tip JediToren :)

Argh, I've searched thru Alderaanonline, Leiatribute, BlueHarvest, Google and whatnot but there just ain't any good pics around...
    Hardly any pics at all. :/

5. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
  6. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I've got a scan of a sketch from The Illustrated Star Wars Galaxy that looks remarkably like this dress, although the person wearing it is an Alderaan poet who was off-planet when it was blown up. I'll post it tomorrow.

The Ewok Celebration action figure, and the figure from the Leia/Wickett set of the Princess Collection are both decent resources, as far as action figures go. And I think I have a link or two bookmarked on my work computer that have decent pictures of the outfit. I'll post those tomorrow as well.

7. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
  8. Monterra

Monterra Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2002
    *slaps forehead for not thinking about theforce.net before ;) *

Thanks STPrincess for the great pics! :D The sketch is awesome ^_^

I guess I should try to make/find myself a pattern. :)

(well, something close to it and few changes ;) )

9. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Also, just take out the video and scan it several times. You can make just some rough sketches to use when trying to find or modify a pattern.

10. Monterra

Monterra Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2002
    Yeah, I did that earlier yesterday :)

It didn't turn out very good though, because I just can't draw ;)

11. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    so, any progress on the search for a pattern to modify? it looks like the skirt part is a three point skirt that is cut unevenly..similar to the handkerchief skirts popular a few years ago. the bodice part looks fairly simple..

anyone have any suggestions?

i'm thinking of doing this one too. had to scrap my twi-lek for now..just running out of time before d-con.

12. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    On further observation (playing and rewinding my ROTJ tape several dozen times) I have come to the following conclusions about this dress:
    - The point on the skirt in the back is longer than in the front.
    - The neck is a deep v and they added lacing to the bottom part of the v - no grommets, just holes in the 'fabric'.
    - Nothing on the dress is hemmed except for the white sleeves which also have leather cording at the wrists.
    - It is not a three or four pointed skirt like i once thought - it is two points - one in front and one in back. The front is confusing b/c the slit up the right thigh offsets the way you look at the 'lines' of the dress.
    - The belt is 3-4 inches wide but curved off on either end and also unhemmed or finished.
    - There may be a seam up the back of the dress and it doesn't look like htere is waist seam unless the belt is covering it.
    - The bodice seams could be darts rather than seams.
    Simplicity 9162 looks really close to the bodice seaming - do a design search, click on the picture and then look at the 'front and back view' and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone else see the same details as me?

Also, has anyone figured out what Leia has on her feet? I can see a tie going around an ankle and that's it.

I'm planning on starting this dress this week...

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I might do this dress, I have to wait until next year though, and until then I might have changed to do the picnic dress instead.

If I'm doing it I wont do it in leather, I would like to work with that.

14. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    I would think maybe some dance shoes like Oola's ( i think they are called Herme's dance shoes?) would be appropriate....if im not mistaken, that is pretty close to what she is wearing in the film.. hope that helps :)

15. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    I dug out both of me Ewok Celebration Leia's last night, and they have sandals painted on their feet. Straps across the top of the foot, and a tie around the ankle.

16. Admiral_Daala

Admiral_Daala Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    i spent forever researching those sandals for mine!!!! the action figure is actually really VERY close to what she wears.

17. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Okay. This is possibly my next sewing project for myself, in between working on some Mandalorian armor, and I have just one question: what about the white sleeves? There's no hint of a shirt or anything like that underneath the dress. Just attached to it at the shoulder seams?

18. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    Stormtrooperprincess that's exactly what we did in the Endor Ewok gown for our Imax premier.

MJA

19. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Has anyone determined whether or not there's a waist seam?

I've been studying the action figure (I feel so horrible for taking it out of the package!), and the shorter front piece of skirt material comes half way around to the back, overlaping the other skirt piece, which folds around underneath to about her left hip. (The point in back is made by the shorter, wrap-around part of the skirt.)

To me, it could be done one of two ways:
    1.)The shorter piece of material could be cut as one with the main bodice section, with a side flap which folds around to the back; the rest of the skirt is cut as one with the princess seams and the back of the bodice (princess seams shown there, too, on the action figure). When put together, the extra flap from the front piece folds around and is tacked/sewn/snapped/whatever in place, which is hidden by the sash.
    2.) The skirt is created seperately from the bodice, and the waist seam is simply hidden underneath the sash.

The first way of doing it would be much more painstaking to do, but it would provide a fairly seamless waist. Any thoughts?

20. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
  21. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I think it's looking fabulous thus far! And hey, it almost never goes the way we brainstorm it (at least in my experience).

Can't wait to see the finished costume! :)

22. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    A friend of mine who claimed she looks "too old" for this costume actually gave me hers, but since I didn't make it myself I don't have much advice! It looks great though!

23. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, what material did she use, and how was it constructed (where are the seams)? Even that's a help. :)

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    STP, it's looking marvelous! Super job! :)

25. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Yay last minute sewing. Finished the sleeves today, wearing it at Adventure Con tomorrow, should have pictures up next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.