main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I believe both Carrie and Leia should be honoured in IX in a big way. A simple mention that she has passed is not really enough. As for the cause of Leia's death...they could easily say that she always knew her Force-float through space would only temporarily save her and that eventually she would have to let go. They can say she held on for as long as she could to set the Rebellion right, then went to join her brother and father in the Force.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Yeah if they can keep it to the original performers, it's not like they wouldn't have the budget.

3. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I'm do not agree.. if they wanted to make sure he was dead we would have had a body and a funeral. if you watch TFA, you cant even see Kylos lightsaber going through Han, its kinds at a weird angle, then he falls down a bottomless pit where he's a 50/50 to survive in Star Wars land... The door is open.

Everyone thought Michael Carrington didn't make the jump, but he did.

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I don't know where you were sitting in the cinema but my angle was so weird that I actually even saw Han going through the lightsaber.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not to mention Leia's reaction to Han's death, which was similar to that of Obi Wan reacting to the deaths on Alderaan or Yoda reacting to the deaths of all the Jedi during Order 66.

Han being alive at this point is about as likely as those old "Palpatine and Sidious aren't the same person" ideas a handful of people were throwing around before ROTS.

wobbits and Darth Smurf like this.
  6. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It almost seems like in episode IX Leia's role has to be somewhat large. Especially if they're going the redemption route with kylo and his mother is what turns him. Have you guys heard the meryl streep playing leia rumors? I don't know. I'll never be able to see past it. If it ain't carrie it ain't leia.
    Man i am nervous about this one. They could seriously screw this up. I'd almost rather leia not even be mentioned at all. The old cast is done at this point.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Leia can be central to the plot even if she's died. It depends on what they do with it. Ben's attachment to her is definitely something they'll want to use.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Han is dead, Han is gone forever, it's all part of Ben Solo's journey.

9. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    If they replace Fisher with Streep, it would be the single biggest insult they could possibly make towards Fisher IMHO. I absolutely hate that idea worst than anything they've done so far.

10. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I think i already stated it in this forum, but the highest tribute they can pay to Carrie is to have Leia survive Episode 9. I'd love her to be the leader of the new republic as the last shot of the saga.
    I'm good with body doubles or unused footage, heck even with her being mentioned but not much seen, but the obvious route is killing her off.

If Luke and Leia could have a "Force ghost" talk (not corporeal) using Carrie's voice and new lines from Mark, that maybe the best we could hope for.

11. rorow1

rorow1 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2017
    Mark talks about replacing CF as Leia in IX at the beginning of this video.

He sounds unsure of what to say because he doesn't know what LFL is going to do yet and he doesn't want to bad mouth something they might end up doing.

ETA: I have no idea what they should do and change my mind every other day. But currently I'm leaning towards Rey forcetiming Kylo to tell him that his mother has passed. She would wonder why he sad and he would wonder why she isn't. Rey just says that she will be with Leia again, the same way she still talks Luke and that's how we learn she will be a force ghost( and is never really gone). They could use an unused scene of Carrie as a FG w/ Kylo at the end of the movie if he is on a slow path to redemption.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    lol

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They could also do something like "General Organa hasn't answered her comms, someone go check on her cabin." They open it up and Leia's clothes are just on the ground and she has joined the Force. Simple yet profound.

cathiecat likes this.
  14. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    They had the perfect opportunity to kill Leia in The Last Jedi. They didn't take it. Now, they are royally screwed.

ksb36 likes this.
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Didn’t Patrick Stewart come up with that idea on an episode of Extras?

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Haven't seen it but I'll take your word for it.

17. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I can't believe I've come around to this, but the more I think about it, the more I think Leia should live on, and without CGI trickery or anything like that. Let her be absent for IX, looking for allies/knowledge/Jedi/boutiques/whatever, then when X comes around set it a decade or two later and let another actress portray her. Keep the new Leia neatly confined to the SST and I think it might be easier to swallow. In a perfect world they would also do a Young Leia spinoff in between production of the ST and the SST, which would further ease people into accepting a live action Leia other than Carrie.

Yeah, I know. Just let me dream, OK?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    If they recast Leia they should pick somebody with a unibrow then all of our attention will be on the monobrow and not the recasting itself. It usually works.

Lulu Mars, BigAl6ft6 and B3 like this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
  20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Lulu Mars, rorow1 and B3 like this.
  21. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Her death would have completely destroyed an already questionable story... Totally out of place without a complete rewrite.

22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    After spending countless hours and sacrificing numerous lives to track down her missing brother, Leia will put on an old coat, reach into the pocket and discover a scrap of paper with Luke’s email address written on it. This prompts her to do her best imitation of that Antonio Banderas gif and out of embarrassment she packs up her stuff and goes into hiding never to be seen again.

23. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I just don't think recasting Leia will work. This isn't some forgettable nothing character like Rachel from Nolan's Batman or Hulk from the MCU. This is an all-time great movie icon that's been around for 40+ years. No matter how good the replacement is (even if it's Meryl friggin' Streep), the emotion won't register because we've already had 5 movies with Carrie and her larger-than-life charisma.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a 2-3 year story gap between TLJ and Ep9 and a title crawl informing us of Leia's passing due to sickness (she was exposed to the vacuum of space after all). Then we begin with a funeral for Leia, which would also serve as a meta-tribute to Carrie. I could also see the First Order launching an attack during Leia's funeral procession...which would really anger various political and military leaders who loved her.

Thus, Leia's death could be "the spark that lights the fire" under the other systems, convincing them to join The Resistance. I think that would be a great way to have Leia impact the story in a huge way without actually being IN the movie as a recast or CGI.

Bor Mullet, Lulu Mars and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Have it explained that Leia and Rey both studied the Jedi texts between 8 and 9. Have Leia be searching for Force sensitives off screen in 9 while Rey and Poe lead the Resistance. Use slight CG, existing footage of CF to have Leia turn up at the very end of 9 with a handful of potential Jedi, either she just smiles at the end as the inevitable celebration is happening or they figure out a way to have her say "May the Force be with you" or some other hopeful line like that. Iris Out. So Leia is mentioned in the Crawl, mentioned by Rey or Poe during the movie, mentioned by FG Luke, then we see her briefly at the end having done an amazing thing for the future of the Republic by recruiting several future Jedi. There could be a whole anthology film on the young Jedi that Leia finds even without Leia in the movie.

25. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    There's really nothing at all insulting about it. If Carrie were still alive and they said, "Sorry, we want someone younger and more attractive, so we're replacing you," THAT would be insulting. But they didn't do that. They brought her back for as long as she could be brought back. Now she's dead, and obviously can't play the part any more, so getting someone else to carry on her legacy would have been great. I wish the Meryl Streep rumors were true. She's a great actress, and the fact that she was good friends with Carrie would have made it even more fitting.
    I just think it's a shame that Leia's story will now likely be cut short because some people think it's offensive to continue Carrie's work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.