main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    You're assuming I wouldn't be accepting of anyone playing the roll, but in fact I find Meryl Streep to be a horrible actress, and completely wrong for the Leia character. She's pretty narrow in how she comes off in movies, and could never pull off the flair Carrie had playing the roll of Leia. She would just play a bitter, arrogant, B**ch, which is about the only roll she does well. As for her being good friends with Carrie and that having anything to do with her ability to play the roll Carrie defined, defies logic. I'm friends with a lot of people who I could never emulate their personas, nor would I even try.

I could think of a couple of actresses who could play the roll, but even then it couldn't be done as extensively as it could have been done with Carrie. Yes, it's my opinion they need to just let Leia's story have an appropriate ending, not shove a big name in the roll just to milk the character for more money.

Ridley Solo and wobbits like this.
  2. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    I feel like its still sinking in that our wonderful, courageous Carrie is gone forever. I've been very unsure what LFL should do going forward, but I think I've come to the conclusion that the role of Leia should be recast. Pernilla August comes to mind as a suitable replacement. The right age, the right look, and an existing link to the SW Universe.

The story needs to be served, and Leia is such a huge part of the Kylo Ren arc, just having something quiet or dignified happen off screen isn't enough. I know that Carrie would have been wonderful, if she were here and able to bring it all in over the finish line, but she isn't. Of course, the role never would have gone to anyone else, but now that Carrie is gone, Leia's arc needs to be given its proper due.

This is so painful, I'm sure that NO ONE ever wanted to consider this. I know I didn't.

cathiecat likes this.
  3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think somebody is going to walk into Leia’s room and find a note that says she’s gone out to get a new hairdo...and we never see her again.

Bor Mullet and DarthHass like this.
  4. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Cindy Williams auditioned for the role in 1976. I think I could accept her in the role now.

[​IMG]

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    People are not even accepting Alden as Han. People did not accept Tarkin in R1 (Although he was "made" almost perfect)
    People will riot about Leia being substituted (me included)
    Unfortunately Carrie died and no one will ever be able to replace her as Leia.
    Please LF, do not recast Leia.

6. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Yea, I don’t think they should recast Leia. I’d even prefer cgi Leia to a new actress playing her.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    To be perfectly honest, the one thing that made me really interested in seeing EpIX after I'd seen TLJ was the relationship between Leia and Ben. Their scene in the beginning and the scene in the end where she and Luke talk about Ben are easily the most moving moments in the film for me.
    I REALLY would've loved to see Carrie and Adam develop that further.

That said, it's possible that Abrams and Terrio have managed to pull something off that will be deeply impactful, with Leia's death affecting Ben in a powerful way.
    Maybe, in a way, Rey becomes a sort of substitute, just as Padmé ended up being there for Anakin in his mother's stead.

It might even be that they become each other's Leia substitutes...
    To see some part of Leia's teachings to her son emerge in Ben would be pretty moving.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  8. SaiWong

SaiWong Jedi Knight

Nov 5, 2013
    I prefer that they don't recast Princess Leia but just write her out saying she is off doing something else in a far off rebel base.

However, if they were to recast how about Billie Lourd. (I think the fanbase will be ok with that)

Princess Leia could be injured and at the point of death and Connix (Billie Lourd) comes to help.
    Princess Leia knowing she is about to die uses force powers to transfer her consciousness into Connix.
    So now Connix's body now carries two souls (Connix and Leia).
    Connix has all the knowledge and memeries of Leia and can continue her roles.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I say no to recasting Leia (as I'm sure the filmmakers do, too), but as a result that then leaves their hands tied, somewhat. Really, there are only a few things they can do. But yes, I agree, the obvious meeting between mother and son that was to occur in Episode 9 would have been utterly gut wrenching in every way possible. So yes, unfortunately, Episode 9 and, I'm sorry to say, the "Skywalker Saga" as a whole will inevitably suffer to some degree.

KSennia likes this.
  10. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Looks like it's going through Hans shoulder.... The whole sequence could have been much clearer if they wanted to absolutely shut the door.

Also... Lets not forget Luke telling Kylo his father will be with him or whatever and the Harrison Ford tv interview where he joked Han is just resting... Or some thing along those lines...

Just saying... The door remains slightly open

11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Recasting Leia would be a bad move. It's terrible that Carrie died, but recasting the role is not the answer to solve this unforseen tragedy. Screenwriters are paid a fortune and now they will have to really pull out all the stops to do what they do best and earn their megabucks - write a plausible and moving Ep9 without Princess Leia in it. It is do-able.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I’ve seen stories online about how people find other people in the world that look almost identical to them. Maybe there’s a pseudo Carrie Fisher twin out there that could stand in for the real Carrie Fisher. Then they could recycle some of Carries dialogue from Catastrophe, like dub it in.

13. Roosterq

Feb 6, 2017
    Stevie Nicks?
    https://media.timeout.com/images/103502022/1024/576/image.jpg

14. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Well the first quote from catastrophe that springs to mind is when her son (Rob Delaney) hangs up on her and she says "fella hung up on me!" (okay so it wasn't "fella").

That could work quite well at the end of a force chat with Kylo

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I love the catastrophe dialogue idea. I wanna hear Leia tell someone she wept while watching the guy from river dance.

Or tell Rey or someone else that their child looks like gene wilder

16. Roosterq

Feb 6, 2017
    I've really thought about this far more than I probably should, and read just about every fan theory/idea for how to handle Carrie's death, and for me I think the best way to honor her contribution to the saga, and honor Carrie, as an actress, would be to have her death occur off screen, midway through the movie. She would obviously need to be off on some diplomatic mission, and maybe even use some previously recorded material for a hologram communication with Poe or someone else (major fan emotional moment). Kylo could inadvertently be responsible for her death by ordering a mission to attack random location where Leia happens to be. This could have a powerful emotional effect on Kylo and be the final straw to send him down his final path good or bad.
    No matter what they do I really hope they show great respect to the character, and actress.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Why does Leia have to die off screen just because Carrie died in real life? That's unnecessary, and really a punch in the gut to fans. Yes let's remind them in a very overt way in the middle of Episode 9 that Carrie Fisher is dead by killing her iconic character. No thank you.

Leia lives on. JJ, figure it out.

KSennia, B3, DarthHass and 1 other person like this.
  18. Roosterq

Feb 6, 2017
    Carrie (Bikini Leia), was the only pin-up I ever had as a young teen, so I've had to take a little time to come to terms with her passing. I would hate to see some attempt to extend the life of Leia for any reason good or bad, cause the Leia character to suffer. I guess I'm wanting to play it safe and protect her legacy after how Luke's character has been treated so far. IMHO her having one final, ultimate sacrifice, mission makes the most sense.

19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In my opinion (and only my opinion) LFL/Disney is, to coin a phrase from another franchise, in a Kobyushi Maru situation.

If they kill Leia off-screen, fans will not be happy. She's too important and beloved a character to just die between movies or away from our sight. It'd also cause headaches in terms of the planned story, where Leia was going to play a big part in Kylo/Ben's fate and Rey's destiny.

If they re-cast Leia, there's still a problem. It's been about a year-and-a-half since we lost Carrie Fisher. That's still too soon for the fandom. Maybe in a few more years they might try and have someone else try the role, but not now. No matter how talented an actress they get, there'd be a massive and unfair backlash against said actress. (To be accurate, there was one instance of Leia being re-cast. Ann Sachs played her in the OT radio dramas, and did quite well. In the case of the movies, though, it's not the same situation.)

If they try to go full CGI with sound-alike dubbing, the fans still wouldn't accept it. They managed to go along with a CGI Tarkin, because it'd been a long time since Peter Cushing's passing, and Tarkin was a creepy character, anyway. Even with the best technology, though, CGI Leia for the whole movie would still look "off".

Pretty much, LFL/Disney, in my opinion, has to take the least lousy choice of a bunch of lousy choices. Open the movie saying, "Lingering injuries from the decompression and exposure. Worked to the last to get the Good Guys re-organized. Passed away suddenly. Remembered with honor and affection. Let's win the fight for her."

Over to you...

ChrisLyne likes this.
  20. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I really just hope they do whatever serves the story best. If Leia's death serves the story, then they should go with that. I agree with Roosterq's idea that her death could play an important role in Kylo's character arc, and I'd be perfectly okay with them going with that idea. But if the writers can think of a better option in which she survives, then I'm fine with that, too. I just don't want the writers to feel restricted by worrying about what might upset someone.

Roosterq likes this.
  21. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

I actually thought about this with Leia transferring herself to another body. But then I think to myself, why would she even want that if she could just appear as a force ghost?

22. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I don't like the idea of a Leia transferring her spirit to another body. That doesn't seem very Light Side of the Force to me.

If JJ absolutely feels like he has to kill Leia off, announcing it in the crawl, then I would be OK if they did something where Leia speaks through another character in some way. A mystical John Williams cue plays, a wondrous look comes over the live character, and she begins speaking as if Leia is talking through her. This could work well with a young girl. Maybe a Force sensitive that Rey is trying to recruit, and Leia uses her to communicate something to Rey. . .Maybe something like that, or with Maz conjuring her in some way... but then I'd also want to see Leia briefly in a dream Kylo has (hopefully a flashback to his youth with younger Han and Leia..Ford de-aged digitally and Billie as her mom) and briefly as a Force Ghost at the very end (using cut footage from TLJ to have her standing next to ghost Luke in the last scene).

23. Eshara Ka'Veros

Eshara Ka'Veros Jedi Padawan

Apr 10, 2018
    Not every one will be happy with what ever choice has been made. This is heartbreaking, we lost Carrie far too soon, I've pondered her sister taking up her role as they looked a bit alike and sound similar... but I know the fans wouldn't accept that either. Now we reach an impasse the fans do not want her CGI'd, they do not want her to have died between movies or at the start of IX, they do not want her to be recast... sadly you can have it both ways. In the end a choice will have to be made and it should be the lesser of the evils.

24. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Is there any conceivable scenario in which Leia is mentioned in Episode 9, but her fate is not detailed, so the film goes by and ends and it's unclear whether Leia is even alive or dead, but one or more of the characters has mentioned her?

Then the character can continue on in books and comics set during or potentially even after 9...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    B3 likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed precisely-like it came from my own mouth...

or fingers anyways...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    cathiecat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.