main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Why, when it could serve the story better that she has passed on. It's far better than saying she's off on some world and away from the main narrative.

I'm thinking they should...just so the over sensitive babies will be prepared for it.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Rodie likes this.
  2. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Hopefully there will be a significant time-jump (3-5 years) between Episodes and she can be mentioned in the Crawl and start with a fresh slate.

Maybe Kylo is now Emperor 2.0, Hux is no more, Poe and Finn are off somewhere, Rey is a Bendu and doesn't care about good or evil she just is. And Broom boy is in his mid-teens leading the Rebellion against Kylo.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Right, a few years could help explain a lot without having tons of exposition.

Knowing how valuable and rare a force user is in the Star Wars Galaxy, I'm willing to bet that this kid will play a part in the next film. What that role is may be small, but I can picture a race to find this kid in the opening act of the film. Perhaps the Knights of Ren come into play during this moment? It would be cool seeing Rey beat them to the punch and save this kid, too. Whatever the case, I hope they don't shrug off something that seems important...at least it did in the OT, anyway.

christophero30 likes this.
  4. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I think they'll want to do a time-skip, and have Leia pass away in between said time skip...

In the movie, they could have some type of "memorial ceremony" that's sort of akin to the ending of TPM where star fighters fly above the streets.

There is just no way they don't pay tribute to the character in some heartfelt manner.

I wonder if Luke taught her how to become a force ghost? If not, they could have a scene at the character's resting place.

Senator Wan and christophero30 like this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm not terribly opposed to recasting the character, in a smaller role. Seeing the character live on could be a nice tribute to Carrie's work as well.

Senator Wan and DarthHass like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The more I think about the ST the more I feel like on a certain level it was probably imagined to be a redemption story that the audience could experience through Leia's eyes as a mother. If that was indeed the intention is there any way to pull significant aspects of that off without the character? If so, how could that be done?

A diary or final letter that is later read by someone (Rey? Ben Solo?) that's voiced by a voice actress who sounds like Fisher?

Is there any way beyond something like that?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  7. bweurk

bweurk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 11, 2018
    Hello there, i am a new poster (and i'm french so please, be nice about my english), but i have read these boards for some times.
    I registered to post here about an idea of how they could deal with Leïa's passing in Episode IX. They will probably not do it that way but here is my idea:
    They could make an animated short movie, something poetic, emotionnal and with beautiful animation that would deal with Princess Leïa's last days and put it in theaters just before Episode IX.
    And then the movie could start with her funerals... or they could be in the animated short.
    One other thing i would do, but i think they already said they wouldn't, is to CGI force ghost Leïa in the movie... but not like Yoda, Obi-Wan... not an active/talking force ghost... just an apparition, for a few seconds, in a dramatic and emotionnal moment with Kylo Ren... if they can find an audio recording of Carry Fisher saying "Ben" it would be enough... that could make Leïa having a real importance in the trilogy's conclusion, maybe driving her son back to the light.
    What would you think about this?

8. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Hi bweurk, I think just a brief apparition and an audio of "Ben" is beautiful actually. I could see that working well and having a real impact, and not being disrespectful. I'd be on board!

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  9. bweurk

bweurk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 11, 2018
    thank you.
    also an animated short could be a way to have an active Leïa without really having to recast her (except for her voice)...
    well even for the voice they could do without recasting her... it could be a silent movie... or it could be a silent Leïa (for exemple she has a stroke at the beginning of the short movie and it's the other characters, Poe, Rey, Ghost Luke, Lando who come to her side and talk to her).

Gai' Phó likes this.
  10. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Maybe have a scene where Rey, Finn, and Poe are visiting Leia's grave on Naboo in the first act of the film. No need to have Leia on a secret mission somewhere off screen.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  11. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Why not on New Alderaan?

12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Leia should live on to become the new Chancellor of the New Republic in future novels and comics or even an animated series or movie that takes place after episode 9. She should be like Queen Elizabeth...living a long long life and mentoring many other characters in the process.

To kill off the character because Carrie died would be a huge mistake for SW as a whole. We are talking just one movie in which a work around has to be created! Find that creative work around to have her alive for Ep 9 (and seen or heard from briefly) or else box yourself into a corner with Leia dead for any timeline after TLJ? I think the choice is clear, and the former choice is actually the greater tribute to Carrie....Fisher may be gone, but what she created with Leia can live on in many ways for a long time!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  13. Solo88

Jan 31, 2018
    New Alderaan sounds lame in my opinion. Naboo would be a nice nod to the prequels. Also, it's where Leia's mother is buried.

Rodie likes this.
  14. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    But there actually is a New Alderaan in the current continuity and Leia helped to establish it.

And when she was a Senator in the New Republic Senate, she was representing the Alderaan sector again. Leia's home and culture is Alderaan, not Naboo.

15. Solo88

Jan 31, 2018
    I don't read the novels or comics so this is new info to me.

16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Jar Jar return confirmed.

17. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    i'm in the leia should live on camp...it needs a clever script and editing tricks but it would be a nice tribute to Carrie Fisher IMO. The biggest challenge is how to take her off the spotlight in IX when it's all about her son. But it's not an impossible task.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It still amazes me that they are not using cut footage from 7 & 8 for Leia to appear in EP9......

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I still think I'd prefer if Leia doesn't die, but I'm willing to go either way really I suppose. If she does pass away between Episodes, I also think it would be awesome to see Leia appear, just very briefly not as a full-on ghost, but simply some sort of half-apparition, pleading with Kylo at some point in the film-kind of like Qui-Gon in AOTC, only a bit more.....present. The question of whether or not it could be done is definitely a non-issue at least...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  20. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This is what I'm hoping for:

It's implied she's in a bacta tank and has a decent chance of survival heading into IX.
    Lando spoke with her before she went into the tank and has two letters she's either written, or they hire a voice over actress with a similar voice to record a voice message that sounds like Fisher, and it's either read by Lando or played by Lando to motivate the Resistance effort and has some nice and touching moments for Poe and others under her command if she doesn't recover as hoped. The second is something Lando holds onto until he sees Ben Solo again and later gives to a redeemed Ben Solo that helps the redemptive arc of Ben Solo out further and doesn't leave many dry eyes in the theatres as the confessions of a mother to her son even gets the reforming Solo moved for all the pain he caused his family.

The returning Knights of Rey and Hux then become the new villains and fire on the facility where Leia is recovering so that a lot of our pent up anger gets transferred to them as the new villains.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope we get a memorial type comic for the Big 3 like Chewie did in the EU.
    C-3PO and R2 went around interviewing close friends of Chewie and we got 8 nice short stories.

22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I agree with Carrie's family... Leia should continue somehow in these films:
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...nts-star-wars-to-continue-sisters-legacy.html

“Well, Disney and Lucas Films at this point, obviously they’re in charge and they do what they want," Fisher stated. “I can tell you from the family’s perspective, from the brother’s perspective... I can tell you that her legacy needs to go on, and I think she should be brought into things.”

Fisher added, “We have the technology, you know. Yoda came back. When Obi Wan goes down in the first film, he comes back stronger than ever in the memories and the voices. I think that’s Carrie’s legacy."

"It’s inseparable from the story. The idea of the original trio, I think has to go on at least in these memories and echoes and the stories. But, it’s up to them. I can tell you we would love to see Carrie go on, and I think the fans would love to see Carrie go on.”

23. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It's about the most authority anyone has on the matter. If Carrie's family's fine with Leia carrying on in her absence, with the help of movie magic, then us fans should respect this and align our position according to that wish. Let's hope Lucasfilm finds a way to make it happen organically, in keeping with the character's legacy.

24. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Well, we know how I feel... like a broken, broken, broken record. I echo Todd’s feelings, Leia should not die. It just doesn’t make sense for that character, that’s the one of the big three who should always keep on trucking along in the practical fight.

KSennia, cathiecat and MattOrgana like this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Considering that Leia has the Force it seems like we might learn that Leia has died but she's still around in some form via the Force.

cathiecat and Gai' Phó like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.