main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I have no idea how JJ is going to manage this one. It will take some serious thought for sure. I don't envy him on this one.

2. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I would like to point out that the script is written, the movie is currently filming and comes out in less than 18 months. JJ and company already know what they're going to do. We simply don't know what that is, yet. Whatever they've decided is essentially set in stone at this point.

3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah that is true.

4. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    i don't think they're filming yet, they said it would begin towards the end of July. But yes, whatever their decision for Leia, it's definitely set in stone by now. I guess we can only wait and see.

5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Cancer from radiation in space.

ThisIsMe1138 and Jo Lucas like this.
  6. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    Only really true if it involves heavy CGI, given how long it took to recreate Tarkin, which they'd need to be starting to create now. They still have a bit of time-wiggle-room if they are doing anything (or deciding between any options) besides that.

7. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Just have it mentioned that she died defending a Resistance outpost in the last year or so.Make it clear that she saved a TON of people and died heroically.

8. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    That's actually a clever explanation

teamhansolo likes this.
  9. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Leia returns at the end with a handful of young padawans/Jedi hopefuls in her charge. She brings hope and is only needed for one scene, one line! They have enough cut footage and technology to make that happen.

The opening crawl can mention how Leia is out looking for Force sensitive children, and at some point early in the film Rey or Poe can have a line of dialogue about how inspirational Leia has been to the Rebellion and how much she means to them, a "what would Leia do?" moment. Then Leia finally shows up at the very end with the future of the Jedi Order on her ship.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Leia dying off screen in between movies could be a way to memoralize her (and Carrie Fisher) in the film. the Abrams produced Star Trek Beyond did this with Lenoard Nimoy / Spock Prime, it was actually quite affecting.

Krueger likes this.
  11. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Ok — it may have worked for Spock but I still don’t want it for Leia. She can live on in a GFFA. Spock could have also but those writers chose differently.

I don’t want to mourn Leia and Carrie again.

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah. Spock's death in Beyond was pretty well done. Very subtle, quiet, but quite poignant. Something like this could work, if handled with care.

13. Tyrian

Feb 5, 2000
    This is what id call a worst case scenario. It would be the cheapest way to handle the character, the actress, and their legacy. The last thing I want is a 'btw Leia died' stuffed in the opening crawl or mentioned in passing during another characters conversation.

KSennia, jaqen, TadoFett and 2 others like this.
  14. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Exactly. I don't understand the logic of having Leia dead being some kind of honor or tribute to Carrie. That feels like the opposite to me.

Use what footage and audio there is of Carrie from TFA and TLJ to piece together some kind of scene/appearance in IX. Have her iconic character live on in books and comics and animated films inspired by her performance and creation of Leia. Now that's a tribute!

Maybe several years down the line, if a SW film calls for an older Leia, in her 70s or 80s, they can look at a recast, but, to kill Leia now in her 50s and off screen would be a real shame and nearsighted decision.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  15. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    That's hollywood logic I don't understand. Actor is dead? Let's kill his character and never mention him again in the movies. Nolan did that to the Joker.

It's funny because they CGI'd Tarkin with no problem.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The hitch is like a week after Fisher died LFL put out a statement saying they wouldn't recreate her with CGI in Episode IX, so it'd be difficult to incorporate the character into the film without VFX wizardry.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The answer is simple. LFL will not utilize cgi because they have mastered robotics.

B3, Revanfan1, oncafar and 1 other person like this.
  18. Tyrian

Feb 5, 2000
    I dont think you should take that statement as gospel. As you said, that statement/sentiment was put out days/weeks after Fisher died... and it was the appropriate thing to say while many people were grieving/closed off/ not receptive or even wanting to think about or consider sucuh things, whether they be possible/practical or not.

Passage of time gives new perspective etc. And if the creative forces of IX, the family of Carrie Fisher, agree that honoring the character on screen (and as a result - giving the OK to CGI in some form) is an appropriate and right way to move forward.... then we should be open to that, even if it wasnt the original narrative. Not back them into a corner with 'but the week of Carries death you said xyz!!!!'.

I dont think shell be 'recreated' in cgi in the dramatic sense like Tarkin was. If it happens (and I think it will), more likely to be light cgi face painting for very specific and well controlled (lighting wise) shots - from a distance with clever editing/angles etc. I think we'd only get maybe one or two shots in IX like Leia in Rogue One at most (close up of face, well lit), if we're lucky.

Bottomline from all the above: If Carries family is ok with it, fans and audiences should be ok with it, regardless of whatever initial statements were put out.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  20. CleanCode

CleanCode Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 7, 2018
    If Leia dies because of exposition to radiation in space, it's likely she knows that she's going to die. I wonder what actions she might take (offsreen?) in this situation. Maybe she reaches out to her son one last time, trying to setup some kind of resolution if not reconciliation?

21. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I thought LFL meant that they won't be recreating Leia like they did Leia and Tarkin in Rogue One.

That's a completely separate process and scenario from using actual footage shot for TFA and/or TLJ to piece together some kind of appearance. The latter hasn't been ruled out by LFL because it would actually be Carrie performing and not a stand-in with digital makeup.

JJ would just have to use some modest CG on Carrie's clothing to make it a little different from the earlier movies.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  22. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Here's my idea if they are going to kill her off:
    - Leia is in the last stages of her cancer (from space radiation) on her deathbed
    - Unused footage used from her unconscious in TLJ. Some CG used for her clothing and location change.
    - In her final moments she reaches out to Ben with the force. We hear Leia's voice which is done by a voice actress.
    - This allows her to still play a part in his redemption like I think was originally planned.

23. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    They seem to be setting the stage for radiation poisoning. It’s tangentially mentioned in the Poe comic.

24. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Possibly. In which case, maybe a voice recording or hologram projected offscreen of her last words to her son? May require a voice actress to be cast, which isn't necessarily like recasting the role of Leia entirely, imo.

25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe we’ll learn that Leia is actually Obi-Wan’s daughter and they bring Ewan back and they put him in drag, Then they could recast Leia via Ewan in drag but people will be cool with it because her dad will be playing the role. Everybody will be too confused to question it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.