main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Leia Organa's Personal Flaws

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LZM65, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Does Leia have any personal flaws? I mean serious flaws? I have read articles that referred to her anger issues. But I haven't encounter anything else. I've always believed that a well rounded character has both flaws and virtues. I mean not just one flaw and a whole slew of virtues, or vice versa. I mean that a well written character has more than one virtue and/or one flaws.

Does Leia have any other flaws, aside from her anger?

2. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    She likes to kiss her brother. So, sibling attraction. That can't bode well for a solid, loving relationship with a Corellian pirate.

PHIERY likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sure. She is narrow-minded which you can see in her interactions with Han. All she seems to care for the first one-and a half movies is the Rebellion, to the exclusion of everything else. She doesn't want to understand that Han has to deal with Jabba, that he really does have no choice.

You've already mentioned the quick temper.

Lady-Hermione likes this.
  4. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Also, she has an obsession with super-tight, almost painful-looking hairstyles. Almost as though her hairstyle were a metaphor for her closed-mindedness.

PHIERY likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    She begged Tarkin to spare Alderaan instead of kicking him in a vulnerable spot and taking controls of the Death Star herself.

Other than that I don't see any.

TX-20, Davrum, Paparazzo and 6 others like this.
  6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    ^But how would she stop Vader and all the Stormies?

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    She thinks because she herself is height challenged that it gives her the right to question the heights of others.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She wasn't going to be able to stop Vader. Not right then. I love that she stood up to him though.

As far as the stormies...take the blaster.

"Somebody has to save our skins. Into the garbage shoot, helmet boys."

9. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Lol. I agree.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    She straps down her boobs with duct tape. [face_shame_on_you]

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In connection to her utter devotion to the Alliance, she may have little sense of self. She may view herself in terms of how she helps (in terms of the Alliance and Luke) or hinders (in terms of the Empire and Tarkin & Vader) others, rather than what she, herself, might want. For all we know, she's been attracted to Han for quite a while, but she isn't able to deal with it because it involves her own emotions and desires, not those of others.

Sorry if that sounds like a bunch of psychobabble crud.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If "walking carpet" isn't a racist slur, then I'm a Wookiee's uncle. [face_shame_on_you]

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    She does understand that he has to deal with Jabba. What she can't understand is his refusal to stay with the Alliance once he's done. That is what upsets her, because she knows that there is something there, but his refusing to stay is upsetting.

Davrum and Lady-Hermione like this.
  14. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    She seems to think she can only rely upon herself, to the point of being recalcitrant at times. This may be a result of her position and being accustomed to her orders being heeded, but it can be problematic when she needs to work with a team and listen to the input of others before acting.

On one hand, Luke and Han are in sore need of the leadership she provides on the Death Star. On the other, shooting the grate off a garbage chute and insisting everyone jump in is impulsive at best. They were in a dangerous situation already, but this led to further peril, which they were lucky to escape.

Likewise, on Endor, Luke tells her to wait as she jumps aboard a speeder to give chase to the troopers. Leia doesn't wait at all, and Luke barely manages to jump aboard with her as she speeds off. They end up separated, and Leia is nearly captured. Luke might've had a better idea, but Leia wasn't willing to wait and hear him out.

15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I just view that as being cranky and frustrated, not racist.

16. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I would say that Leia has a lot of her father's anger and impatience. But I've noticed that even Padme is capable of impatience. So, whereas she may have inherited her father's temper, who knows from whom she had inherited that impatient streak.

However, she seems to have a self-righteous streak that I find particularly unpleasant. Especially in "The Empire Strikes Back".

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, she probably picked up the slur in the core. Our social circles inform how we speak.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk

18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I agree with your first post. And this is a nice quote. I'll have to tell my friends about it.

19. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Self centered, self important. Puts herself on the pedestal. A bit racist towards Wookiees (and probably other life forms she does not deem to be at her level). I have a feeling Han leaves her after so many years and reclaims his bachelor life lol.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Han, but if he leaves Leia for some simpering docile woman, I'll change my tune quickly.

21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The flaws are mainly in the writing. There's a lot of focus on her in ANH, but they act as though they forgot where she came from, and they mainly focus on her for her relationships with Han and Luke in TESB and ROTJ. She had lost her homeworld and was a tough leader in the Rebellion. Surely they cold have done more with that. However, I still love the character, and I'm glad we got to see her take out Jabba and shoot some stormtroopers after she had been shot.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Personal flaws? She's bossy as hell!

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In her position that's not a flaw.

24. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    That's just absurd.

25. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    I think Leia might be the most flawed character of the OT main three. Han was a smuggler, but it was a 'bad guy with a heart of gold' and he changed that within the first movie. Luke was impatient and a bit angry, but was a clean-cut guy overall. But Leia? Rude, hard-headed, arrogant, impatient, reckless, angry, vengeful, bossy, dismissive, critical... Her flaws are on display very early, about the time she thinks the best bet is to play innocent while insulting Vader and Tarkin. (Tarkin's sarcastic remark about her charming self suggested that's just how Leia is normally.) When her rescue starts, she manages to insult Luke, Han, Chewie and the Falcon. At the beginning of the next movie, she kisses Luke in front of Han, an action that was spiteful to Han and misleading to Luke. She needs a carbonite freezing chamber to admit she loves the guy.

Granted, it seemed like the 'I love you' was a turning point for Leia. She seemed calmer and softer in ROTJ, even considering her actions with Jabba. You'd think a relationship like Leia/Han would continue to be snappy, but an unguarded Leia didn't fight and mock like that. I guess that's another flaw: she puts on a prickly facade instead of dealing with her feelings.

PHIERY, Prisic Duskleap and Sarge like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.