main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Leia Organa's Personal Flaws

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LZM65, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Better than standing there waiting to be shot to death.

That's not micromanaging. That's insulting Han and his piece of **** ship.

[​IMG]

2. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    You really think so? I think I'd rather be shot than squeezed to death by some alien creature in a garbage contractor.

Willie Scott saved Short Round on the bridge. Both she and Indy saved Short Round in the mine car. She saved both Indy and Short Round in the mine car, after Indy failed to take care of one of Mola Ram's minions. And both she and Short Round prevented Mola Ram from reaching the top.

For a woman that screamed a lot, she did a lot of rescuing in that movie's last half hour.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Willie Scott was still an awful character with a terrible personality. While she may have improved very slightly in the last half hour of the movie, it's like saying day-old moldy bread is better than week-old moldy bread. I didn't rewatch Temple of Doom for years because of her. Watched it again when I got my Blu-Ray set, I did notice that last half hour, but still wish she had been less monumentally annoying and wussy the first hour and a half.

4. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Willie wasn't an awful character to me. I've always liked her very much. She seemed a lot more human than those women characters who are regarded as some kind of feminist icons. Willie not only knew what she wanted - regardless of how others might feel - she was flawed and never tried to be otherwise. Don't get me wrong. I like Leia. But I do get tired of reading about how perfect or ideal she was. And sometimes I feel as if fans would prefer to turn a blind eye to her flaws. Over the years, ideal characters have become rather off putting to me.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If Willie is "more human" than the "feminist icons", we need to raise the acceptable standard for what it means to "just be human".

I have no tolerance for that much whining, screeching and feigned helplessness. I don't accept it from my children or the children I work with, much less an adult.

Leia took action and tried to come up with solutions, instead of whining about missing parties on Alderaan, or how Yavin didn't have her favorite space lobster and caviar dishes.

jakobitis89 and Yanksfan like this.
  6. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Why? I guess I just don't really see the need. Movies, novels and television have been bombarded with ideal feminist figures for several decades and in many forms. They haven't changed the political situations of women that much. Women in the real world have done most of the work. Humans are never going to be perfect or exist in some form of "acceptable standard". We're too flawed.

I guess we just think differently. I cannot deal with any demand that we all have to be perfect - whether in the real world or in fiction. That's just too much and unrealistic for me. And I feel that we all have the right to whine, screech and feign helplessness whenever we like. And despite her whining and so forth, Willie still managed to come through when the situation demanded it.

I don't want to be perfect. And I don't want the characters of a novel, movie or television series to be perfect or ideal. Characters like that would simply bore me. The only reason Leia doesn't bore me is that I know she is not perfect or ideal.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not about "changing the political situations of women", any more than depicting male characters in a way that I can stand to watch for two hours is about "changing the political situation of men."

And if there is a "right" for an adult to be whiny and annoying and fake helplessness, there is an even greater right--I would say an obligation--for other adults to point out that the world does not revolve around the spoiled entitled whiners, and that they need to either present a solution or STFU.

Sarge likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Why is it preferred to be shot? Blaster bolt between the eyes or smashed to death, either way, dead is dead.

The last half hour. The first ninety minutes, you want to advocate the idea of men beating the **** out of women. Willie was useless and was only there as comic relief, which is a far cry from Elsa and Marion. Much less Spalkov and she was a villain through and through. "Family Guy" summed Willie as, "Lady only here cause she humping director."

9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I don't understand. How is my feeling about Willie Scott a support of the idea of men beating women? I don't understand that comment. I understand that you don't like Willie. I, on the other hand, do. She is real to me. I also like Leia. She's real to me. But I do get tired of people trying to point out how "ideal" she is. I don't believe Leia is ideal. I feel she has some serious flaws, like the other characters in the saga. Which is why I find her interesting. I also feel the same about Willie Scott.

Willie Scott was a villain?:confused:

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's not what he said. He said that Willie Scott prior to the last half hour made the audience want to advocate for men beating women...i.e., Indy smacking Willie Scott so she would shut the hell up.

I was ready to go through the screen and smack her myself so I get that.

Leia, for whatever complaining that she did about her rescue, actually tried to do something about the problem. She is an action taker. That is a choice that everyone has.

11. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I still don't understand why we jump on Leia for "complaining" or "micromanaging." I can point to several instances where either Han or Luke *****ed and moaned, or gave orders, yet I doubt I would EVER find that listed as a "flaw" in a similarly titled thread for them.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    To be fair, one or two of the people who complain about Leia doing that, might just have a problem with that trait overall. Only they can answer that one.

13. Chibi_Krayt

Chibi_Krayt Jedi Padawan

Dec 2, 2015
    Leia does seem a bit whiny to me, though she can still jump in and try to get things done when she wants to. Luke also comes off that way initially, though he gets better later on. Maybe it's genetic... [face_thinking]

minnishe likes this.
  14. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I understand. Even if I hate what he had said.

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Yeah. The garbage shoot was smart thinking on her part. Leia was tough and sharp.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The choice was either stay where they were and DEFINITELY die or down the chute where they MIGHT die but will at least have a chance of escape. Her 'heroic rescuers' master plan had boiled down to sticking it out in a cul-de-sac trying to take on a moon-sized battleship's worth of storm troopers. If getting out of that is micro-management then the Rebellion could do with a few less cocky scoundrels and a few more micro-managers as far as I'm concerned.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I'm sorry, but I was not impressed by Leia's actions. I just wasn't. That's all I can say.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What would have impressed you and still accommodated her being an action-taker?

19. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, I always hate how Willie gets so much flack. Not EVERY character (male OR female ) needs to be the consummate action hero in an action film. She was flawed, but it's realistic that not everyone is cut out to keep up with Indy's lifestyle. And as has been mentioned, she had her own character arc and grew by the end of the film.

20. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I dunno. I guess she becomes kinda boring in RETURN OF THE JEDI, and loses her spunky, sarcastic, take-charge, no-BS attitude. I can barely remember anything she even did in that film, aside from wearing the metal bikini. I guess she cried a bit during that bridge scene with Luke (although I do like Carrie Fisher’s coked-up line delivery: “Luke, run away! Far away!”). Um…I guess she went into full Disney Princess mode and befriended all the cute little forest critters on Endor. Uh…

Can’t think of anything else she did in that movie.

PHIERY and haleyorgana like this.
  21. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Didn't she get to do the most in the film next to Luke? Vader moped the entire film. Han was sidelined until the bunker attack. Leia had the bounty hunter thing, freeing Han, got to kill the secondary bad guy, got the speeder bike chase, the long scene with Wickett where she battles the biker scouts, and then gets the "I know" punch line to Han. If you look at the script, she gets the most screen time second to Luke.

haleyorgana likes this.
  22. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Well, Vader does this:

Granted, it’s not only the climax, but also the best scene in the movie, so I can see why you might not have remembered it.

I forgot about the whole bounty hunter disguise with Leia. Tell me. How many seconds did it take for her to get captured again? 30? 45? “This is some rescue! You came in here! Didn’t you have a plan for getting out?”

And yeah, I guess she did drive the speeder bike. Luke certainly seemed to be backseat driving throughout that entire scene though (“Get alongside that one!” “Move closer!”). Besides, if I remember, didn’t she crash it into a tree? Did she get driving lessons from Counselor Troi?

I already mentioned her Disney Princess thing. Again, though, love the bad line delivery. “But these are my friends. 3PO, tell them they must be set free.” And they didn’t even do that whole Disney Princess friend to all cute woodland critters thing half as well as SHREK did it:

In the end, I don’t care how much screen time she has. She was a great likable character in the first two movies. She was smart, sarcastic, and able to go toe-to-toe with Han Solo in a verbal sparring match. She didn’t take any **** from anyone. She was a badass. In JEDI, she’s no longer a badass. She’s just boring and forgettable. The wallpaper also had alot of screen time in that movie but that doesn’t make the wallpaper a likable, engaging character…and that’s what her character is reduced to—wallpaper. At least Han got to retain a bit of his snarkiness (“Well, why don’t you use your divine influence and get us outta this?”).

PHIERY likes this.
  23. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Have to say, for me no-one looked their best in JEDI other than Luke and perhaps Lando (who has basically become palette-swapped Han anyway). In this instance it's worth remembering Carrie Fisher was in a bad place in real life by many accounts not least her own.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Davrum

Davrum Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    Leia killed the mighty Jabba The Hutt, freed Han and took the initiative in the speeder bike chase.

She's basically the hero of the entire trilogy.

25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    We've been calling the wrong Skywalker child the main character the whole time!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.