main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Leia Organa's Personal Flaws

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LZM65, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In "Generations", there was no one. Data was compromised by his emotion chip, Worf and Riker were busy with the Duras' Bird of Prey. Afterwards, the saucer section was hit when the warp core blew and helm control was non responsive. That's why Riker and Worf didn't move to helm. It was a brick.

But you technically are insulting women. You first point out that Leia couldn't pilot a speeder bike and could only crash it, then you bring up Troi. That has nothing to do with Lucas, Kasdan, Marquand, Berman, Braga, Moore and Logan.

Again, that's a woman's driver thing.

2. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Deanna Troi only "the first officer's girlfriend"? That sounds rather offensive.

I wonder . . . I think when it comes to gender or racial issues in fictional characters, we seemed to have such extreme reactions on the matter.

You have female characters like Leia whom we are told are near ideal and can do no wrong. Or . . . some fans would go out of their way to point out how useless they are, aside from being a damsel or love interest. There seemed to be no middle ground. Then you have characters portrayed by non-whites who are either exalted as near ideal . . . or either heavily criticized for possessing flaws or possessing special abilities or rank that many feel they should not possess. There is no middle ground with these characters. And the only characters that manage to evade these extreme views tend to be white and male.

I know that Leia is basically a smart and capable woman. But I have also observed that she has flaws and that she has made mistakes. She is no different from the other characters in the saga. So, why do many demand that she either be ideal or heavily criticized?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If I do see (further) sexism in this thread, the Nightsister Mjolnir will come down.

Whatever Rick Berman did with Star Trek, it needs to relate back to Leia. Or let's just get back to Leia, period.

LZM65 : I think that even those of us who are fans of the character have pointed out mistakes she makes or bad moments she has.

I understand your question but I also am not interested in seeing this thread go the direction of the Boyega or Ridley threads in 7SA, so everyone needs to tread lightly.

4. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I made an offhand joke about how Leia wasn’t given anything to do in the scene except to crash the bike. Lucas easily could’ve had her ram it into a Stormtrooper’s bike, causing them both to explode, and she jumps off before the crash. That would give her agency and that would be badass. And I give Leia alot more benefit of the doubt than I give to Deanna Troi, because Leia has actually demonstrated competence over the course of the movies.
    Again, that's a woman's driver thing.[/quote] Except that that’s literally her only talent! I do not make similar criticisms of characters like Ro or Major Kira, because they’re actually shown to be skilled at something other than crashing the ship. Troi is a quack psychiatrist, a fraudulent psychic and a lousy pilot. What skills does she have? Leia is a strong, determined leader. I would follow her into combat. She’s a good fighter and can clearly hold her own as well as Han Solo can. Major Kira shared many of Leia’s best qualities. It is not sexist to point out that Troi is a completely useless character, regardless of her sex!

anakinfan edit: If you have concerns about any accusations directed at you by other users, take it to a PM or use the report function.

PHIERY and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Obviously we cannot stay on topic.

I think this thread has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.