main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Leia Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I really loved the Bantam era movie poster-style covers. How awesome would it be to have those back again? I think it would go a long way to keeping a visual aspect to the Star Wars books that they lack, and it would be awesome to put faces to names.

Imagine the Aftermath trilogy with Rae Sloane, Norra and the Imp hunters, ma boi Gallius, some Starhawks and Star Destroyers...That'd be awesome.

EDIT: I should add that this cover actually gives me Bantam vibes. I like it.

2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh [face_dancing] [face_dancing] The second must have of recent months. The first was Zahn's Thrawn. :D I adore the idea of reading about young Leia and her adoptive parents. :cool:

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I hope it will involve her dancing at the Imperial royal academy ball, that way I can get a peek of Nash, Jude, and Ciena in a cameo scene.

5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Most likely not. The Imperial royal academy ball in Lost Stars happened just a few weeks before the battle of Yavin, but this book is 3 years prior to that.

6. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016

The Star Wars show mentioned Jennifer Heddle will be at D23 this weekend so I wonder if we're gonna get something then. If not, then surely by comic-con.

7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Yeah I mentioned in another D23 thread I hope more info is out by then. :)

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I do find this tendency of the new material to be very strange.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The paperback of Lost Stars (debut at SDCC, wide release August 1), will include the first chapter of this book.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

coervus, DARTH_MU and Sinrebirth like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sinrebirth and MattOrgana like this.
  11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    This YA novel about Leia Organa’s teenage years is being written by Claudia Gray, who explored the character’s middle age as a post-Return of the Jedi politician grappling with insurgency and the public revelation she is Darth Vader’s daughter in last year’s adult novel Bloodline.
    While we see her in her much older years in The Last Jedi, which will feature Carrie Fisher’s last performance as the character, this book takes Star Wars fans back to when she was a teenager, not yet a revolutionary. It’s pretty far in the timeline from the events of the new film, but Sugerman says these stories still contain clues to the new story.
    “As for exploring the ‘long time ago’ aspects, the past informs the future. There are still many unanswered questions, and we’re looking to fill in some, but not all, of those blanks,” he says.
    Princess of Alderaan’s title also recalls the classic A Princess of Mars sci-fi novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs. While Gray’s book (out Sept. 1) won’t have much else in common with that 1917 book, it will reveal Leia’s rise to power by showing how she first became an agent for the Rebellion — not long before we see her escape with the stolen Death Star plans in Rogue One.
    “This is where she started,” Siglain says, noting that it’s also about her friends and relationships to her parents — a sci-fi adventure, but also a coming-of-age story. “It’s still a YA novel, so it’s still her going against her parents who are trying to protect her. You know, that’s what that’s like, and Claudia has really captured that.”
    He also assures fans “there’s a very strong connection to some things from The Last Jedi, which, again, once you see the film will make sense.”
    It’s set on the eve of her 16th birthday. “She’s realizing that there is more to the galaxy and to her life than what’s going on. And she’s at a point where her parents just being secretive,” Siglain says, referring to her adopted parents Breha and Bail Organa (played by Jimmy Smits in the films).

“She decides to become involved in the fight against the Empire, regardless of what her parents think. As a parent, what situation does that put you in? Do you want your daughter to fight for what is right, or are you trying to just protect her so she doesn’t get hurt? And as a 16-year-old, do you really know as much as you think?”
    All kids rebel against their parents at some point, but they don’t always join a Rebellion.

12. General_Leia_Organa

Feb 23, 2016
    I'm so ready for this book, and I'm into the idea of her joining the rebellion as an act of teenage rebelliousness. So meta~. I'm jealous of anyone who is picking up Lost stars in paperback today because they're getting the first chapter with it.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm guessing Leia's 16th and the subsequent story of this book take place before her "Princess on Lothal" appearance in rebels?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Consistent with the Radio Drama and the EU.

Not so much with the Leia Back Stories book but we'll see. In any event, the backstories are essentially IU history and easily handwaved.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

General_Leia_Organa likes this.
  15. General_Leia_Organa

Feb 23, 2016

The backstories book also glosses over her adult life after Ben, so I'm willing to give it a handwave as well.

Will it line up with the YA novelization of ANH from 2015 though? Are those considered canon? I know novelizations in general are kind of ~~~~~ about their canon status but these were written well after the release of the even the special editions.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm a little tired of the stuffing around the Dark Times era, I'll be honest. I'll get it out of loyalty as Gray is awesome, but can we meaningfully move closer to TLJ soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    One would hope they're consistent, but we'll have to see. It's the same publisher and the authors know each other, so I'd have difficulty seeing them as being inconsistent but we'll find out.

Their canon status is complicated. Essentially they are canon, except insofar as the authors used artistic license in their adaptations since that was part of the design of that series.

In the post-SE film, Greedo shoots first. In PSFB, Han shoots first. The exact sequence of shooting is probably too granular a detail for canon to care about: the canon is that Han shot Greedo, and the order of firing varies based on who's telling the story.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought post-SE was they shot at the same time, and then back to Han shooting first again. That scene man. :p

But I digress, I'm sure regardless of how well or not it lines up with other books this new one will be a great take on Leia. Gray's proved she can do an adult Leia- teenage Leia was probably not much more of a challenge for her.

19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    http://ew.com/books/star-wars-the-last-jedi-book-series-covers/princess-of-alderaan-by-claudia-gray

I wonder if Ezra's message will be mentioned. Could be a good way to know if she met Ahsoka or just knows her code name.

20. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Any chance the first chapter will be released online, seeing as it's technically already out there?

21. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Don't spam the thread.

22. General_Leia_Organa

Feb 23, 2016

This makes me even more excited! I'm so happy we're gonna get to know Breha!

SWpants and littlepadawan91 like this.
  23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Phasma novel.
    Phasma comic.
    That recently announced Cobalt Squadron book.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Admittedly I forgot the Phasma stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

I am as well, but considering we haven't gotten anything of young Leia in the Senate and Rebellion yet, I'm really looking forward to this.

Sinrebirth likes this.