main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Leia remembering Padme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by RyanForder, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Am I supposed to take this as an insult?

2. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I would accept "the Force did it" explanation if both Leia and Luke remembered their mother's face emotions, etc.

The problem is only Leia remembers.

3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

I'm not saying Leia has a memory such as we would have in the real world. But answer me this…the films show us that it is possible to have very detailed Force visions of the Future, of things which have not yet happened. Why, then, is it impossible for Leia to have such a vision of her mother? That's not a memory (in the scientific sense). What is your issue with this explanation?

Yoda even says through the Force we can see old friends long gone. It's explicitly stated in the films that seeing the past is possible.

Again, though, you're putting arbitrary limits. Why does Luke also have to remember. As I pointed out with my ROTS example, the knowledge that Padmé was pregnant seems to have triggered Anakin's visions of the future. Is it not similarly possible that something could have triggered Leia's memories of the past? Leia, after all, was far more influenced by her mother's life (in both her family and surroundings) than Luke was.

minnishe likes this.
  4. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I have a hard time accepting it because Luke doesn't remember and he was with his mother for the same amount of time.

5. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Again, though, I'm pointing out that they can have the same potential to remember, but Luke never has his triggered the way Leia does.

Padmé was still pregnant before Anakin found out about it, but it is only once he knows that he begins having his visions.

The issue is only a plot hole if you arbitrarily decide that Luke and Leia must have the exact same powers/tendencies/experiences. And that is a requirement that you have artificially created. There's nothing in the films that indicates that two people must experience something the exact same way.

minnishe likes this.
  6. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    It's illogical because they have the exact same experience and abilities, and yet only one remembers. Therefore, plot hole.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually, they were supposed to be born at about the same time. Anakin had left prior to finding out she was pregnant which is why he didn't know that there were twins.

This assumes that Leia's memories of Padme are from when she died and not, you know, before she did. Like when she was watching the Jedi Temple burn, worrying about Anakin when she saw the Invisible Hand coming in for a crash landing, sitting in the Senate as the Republic becomes the Empire.

Normal babies don't, but these are Jedi. The Force is strong with them. Their father was the Chosen One. He could see himself as a Jedi before he had any training. And they don't have to have the same visions/memories.

8. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Umm…no they don't. They're distinct individuals. They have different experiences and abilities. Leia and Luke live completely separate lives and they aren't even identical twins. Because of this, the way they interact with the Force, what they dream about, what they focus on will necessarily be different.

9. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    They have the exact same experience- both are born and they see their mother for a few minutes. They have the same abilities- the Force. The "different experiences" you're speaking of are after their mother is long gone.

Luke not remembering (or Leia remembering) doesn't make any sense.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They have the same experiences with Padme though; exactly the same.

And Leia never mentioned her mother in the OT prior to then so it's a stretch for me to assume that she was really focused on Padme the way Luke was focused on Anakin, who had been a topic of conversation since the first ten minutes of ANH.

TOSCHESTATION and Garrett Atkins like this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They both have the Force and the same level of connection to it, but that doesn't mean that have to both see the past at the same time. Or at all. One did, one didn't. Leia could have been fifteen when she had her vision of the past. Luke could be fifty by the time he has one.

minnishe likes this.
  12. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Do you have a source or is that an assumption?

13. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Yes, but again -- "your focus determines your reality." I'm not saying that Leia "remembered" her mother from the day she was born. I'm saying that when she got a little older (but was still a young child) her different experiences (growing up with Bail, being exposed to the Senate and her mother's work) would have triggered her abilities in the Force to remember her mother. In the same way that when Anakin found out Padmé was pregnant, that triggered his visions of the future.

I'm saying Luke could have remembered, but he was always more interested in his father and there was nothing for him to connect to his mother.

Additionally, Luke and Leia aren't the same person, they will have different inclinations in terms of how they use the Force.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It's an assumption. That's why I use, could have. The Force connection comes from Lucas.

15. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Once again, do you have a source or is this an assumption?

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Shouldn't they be equal in terms of Force potential? I guess we could phrase it as "the one who wasn't trained" and "the one who was trained", though.

No. You only assume that's what happened, but your assumption can't make a plot hole all by itself.

What's weird is that this:

Was followed by more responses predicated on the idea that baby Leia used the Force to see the present.

But that's not what was being suggested.

17. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    What do you want a source for?

"Your focus determines your reality" -- line from the film

Using the Force to remember someone from the past -- Yoda's speech about how we can see friends long gone through the Force

Events in our lives trigger Force visions -- Anakin discovering that Padmé is pregnant triggers his visions of the future

Luke and Leia not being the same person -- that's just a fact and it will affect how they use the Force (where one might prefer mind tricks, the other might not, for example)

I'm just putting together pieces of information the films have given us.

Samnz likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Round and round we go
    Where we stop
    Only the mods know

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    You shouldn't need to grasp at straws to explain something from the film.

20. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Who is grasping at straws? I've laid out why it's perfectly possible for Leia to have images/impressions of feelings regarding Padmé using direct quotes and events from the films. How is that grasping at straws?

21. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Grasping at straws- taking non-related pieces from previous films to piece together an argument.

22. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

grasping at straws
    Fig. to depend on something that is useless; to make a futile attempt at something.
    trying to find some way to succeed when nothing you choose is likely to work
    Again, how is my proposal futile? The evidence I've presented fits very clearly with my proposal. I've used direct quotes and events from the films. And there's nothing in the films that contradicts the proposal I have put forth so I fail to see how it is "useless" or "futile."

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda telling Luke about how Jedi will have visions of the past, present and future is relevant to the Saga because one of the key plot points is about Force visions. When Yoda does this with Luke, it extends to Anakin and it extends to Leia. You're just ticked because it blows a hole in your complaint.

24. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    You are using non-related quotes from the film as an excuse to plug up this plot hole.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  25. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm not ticked, I don't get how only Leia can remember and Luke can't.

Read below

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.