main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Leia Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CT1138, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    darth-sinister and Iron_lord

To assume that Vader thought that Luke was on the Falcon wasn't something I made up, as a matter of fact the 4th draft from October 24,1978 is rather clear about that:

VADER
    Asteroids don't concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses. How long until you can have Skywalker and the others in the Millennium Falcon before me?

Again, we he first stretched out with his Force capabilities he was apparently feeling the presence of Luke (and Leia) on Hoth, thus learned about the Rebel base on Hoth.
    He then believed that the presence he felt aboard the Falcon was Luke (but in fact it was Leia) - as suggested by the above quote - and again later when he told Captain Needa "No, they are still alive".

Heroic BB-8
    You forgot "Senator"...;)

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The line may have been cut from the complete film for good reasons.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Yes, it's unnecessary exposure and without it Vader's reply to Piett is more concise and straightforward.

But it reveals the original intentions which should be considered in our attempts for rationalization, IMHO.

As we see in the film the Falcon comes from Luke's behind. Assuming that Vader knew that Luke's snowspeeder had been shot down (or who brought one AT-AT to fall), Luke heading for the Falcon might have been the shortest route to evacuation, Vader knew this, felt a presence aboard the Falcon when he came face-to-face with it and erroneously concluded it to be Luke (while in fact it was Leia).

4. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think that this is making a lot of assumptions. How would Vader know that Luke was even in a snowspeeder, much less having been shot down or anything?
    Vader saw the MF and he knew that Luke had a personal connection to that ship.
    So rather than chase after all X-Wings leaving Hoth, Vader set his sight on the MF. Either Luke would be there or someone that Luke cared about would be.

As for sensing. Sorry the film doesn't establish that Vader sensed anything from the MF. If he had, then why was he fooled by the trick the MF pulled? If he could sense Leia inside the ship then he would know that she were still close by.
    Vader does sense Luke's growing strength and the disturbances he is causing in the Force.
    If Luke puts out a signal that huge then Vader must know that he isn't on the MF because then he would sense that.

As for Luke reaching out to Leia at the end. I don't think that is indicative of anything.
    First, if Force telepathy only works between Force sensitives then it is a lot less useful. And second, how would Luke know that Leia is Force sensitive? Third, if he didn't then why bother with this power when it wouldn't work as far as he knows? Also, what alternatives where there? Han was frozen, Lando an unknown, the droids not possible and Chewie would just have looked silly.
    So he contacts Leia because he knows her and he is close to her. Simple as that.

So to sum up, both Kasdan and Lucas have admitted that Leia was turned into the sister during the writing of RotJ. Earlier versions of ESB had the sister be named Nellith, so not Leia. Be in training in another part of the galaxy, again not Leia. And Luke was in love with Leia, which makes the odds of them being siblings rather unlikely.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark