main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leia the hypacrit (sp).

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Isosceles, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isosceles

Isosceles Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2003
    I'm jsut wondering if any one else came to the realization that Leia is a hypocrit. In TESB she keeps accusing Lando of backstabbing. Which is kind of true....the problem i have is that if she had been in the same situation (thousands of lives vs. 3 and a droid) she would have made the same decision. I'm not saying Lando was a paragon of virtue, but he did have a responsiblity to the ppl he was "governing". I mean if he hadn't have given into the Empire they would have captured and killed many innocence (more than 3 and a droid) for the sake of the few. I understand it is a hard decision, but under the circumstances didn't Lando make the proper choice considering he KNEW Han was on his way, he KNEW the Imperials would be waiting for Han and company whether he wanted them to or not, and KNEW Vader would haev no problems with wiping Cloud City and everyone of it's inhabitants off the world. Just a thought.

sorry for the misspelling of "hypacrit" can't for the life of me remember how to spell it).

Isosceles

2. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    I agree with you. Lando did make the right decision and I think Leia came to understand that, which is why she forgave him in the end.

Leia was angry because the person she loved was being taken away from her. That is bound generate some anger and she was lashing out at the person she thought deserved it most. I know I would have done the same in her position. But Leia is a rational person and she understood Lando's responsibility of looking after his people, as she must have felt towards the people of Alderaan.

3. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    the only thing is is that I don't think Lando's decision was based on humanitarian concerns, but financial ones. Lando was at risk of losing his financial control over the gas mines, because the Empire would shut down the operations. There was no indication that the people at the mines were at risk of anything else but losing their jobs. It was the loss of the financial interest that got Lando to cooperate, nothing more and nothing less.

4. Nightflurry

Nightflurry Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2000
    I don't know SLR.. if Darth Vader showed up at my place and asked me for a favor, I sure as hell wouldn't say no.

5. Isosceles

Isosceles Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2003
    I don't agree, one of the first things he did after freeing Leia and Chewy was warn the ppl to get out. He didn't go scrounging for money or possessions. I will say that that might have been part of it though, but as it was with Han, Lando is a pretty decent guy once you get past the "pimpish" exterior.

Isosceles

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Leia did give up Dantooine. The Empire might have blown it up. I guess its different when your boyfriend is carbon-frozen.

7. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    When I was a kid and I saw ESB, I disliked Lando, mainly for his slimy come-on when he's introduced to Leia.

Later, Lando redeems himself. He was caught between 'a rock and a hard place'. He just needed a little bit of time for his true character to come to the surface.

You can't blame Leia for also taking a dislike to the man and to later be reluctant to trust him. Leia also needed a little time to see that he was worthy of a second chance. He gets her out of the Empire's clutches, attempts to save Han from Fett, and later risks his life infiltrating Jabba's palace.

If you think about it, it's very similar to Han Solo's redemption. She started off accusing him of being greedy and self-centered but later softened her opinion, and fell in love with him.

I don't think that makes her a hypocrite.

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    She isn't a hypocite, she just let her emotions get in the way of rational thought.

9. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Vader to Calrissian: Hi, Solo's coming over. Mind if I stayed for dinner and ask him some questions?

Lando: Sure, we black brothas gotta help eachother out!

Remember that Vader kept altering the deal. So he probably told Lando something really lame and later he showed his true intentions.

10. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    this topic makes me think.....what became of Lando's operation after they left Cloud City? I mean did he just leave for good? did the Empire totally move in and basically rob them all?
    guess there really is no definite answer to that other than maybe EU

11. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    According to EU, Cloud City basically fell apart.

12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Ha ha, this topic is hilarious. I mean, how did you expect her to react?

*watches Han get frozen in carbonite*

Leia, I'm sorry.

*shrug* That's okay, Lando! I would've done the same thing.

Ha, ha, I don't think so... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.