main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leia's ANH costume questions...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Benae_Quee, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Is there a site with a tutorial for this? Or maybe even a previous thread, I need one for work on Halloween (easily recognizable SW costume, my Jedi kept getting confused with a monk - don't ask). Thanks for any help :)

2. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
  3. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Thanks a bunch :D

4. Stubbzilla

Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff star 2 VIP

Jan 30, 2001
    Boots:

http://www.dinkles.com/boots.htm

5. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
  6. moogybaby

moogybaby Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2003
    Does anyone have any idea of ow the hood connects to the gown.

I've looked at the MOM pictures and it certainly seems to be open in the back.

Is it sewn on or buttoned?

I've got my daughter's basic gown done, but am stuck on the hood.

Thanks!!

7. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    If my brain recalls this correctly, the hood is essentially a rectangle (one side maybe longer than the other for more of a trapezoid shape, with the longer end making up the front edge of the hood), with each short end of the rectangle gathered and sewn into the collar on either side of the back opening. The opening you see at the back of the hood made by the rectangle is necessary for getting the head through the neckline.

Hope that helps! :)

8. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Yep, Beret's description is pretty accurate, matches what I've seen when studying it.

9. moogybaby

moogybaby Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2003
    Thank you both.

The pictures I've seen indicate that there were probably (at least) two versions.

One to be worn with the hood up, that you never see with it down, like the MOM version.

This looks like it was attached to the turtleneck collar

The second is with the hood down as you see n most of the movie.

If you look at the continuity shot that someone posted a link to, it appears as if the hood attached further along the shoulders to get it to lay flat as it does.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

10. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Hmmm... I guess I'm a bit confused by that. There may certainly have been more than one gown, but more for the purposes of various dirty stages in the film (before and after the garbage compactor), but I don't see why they would do it for the sake of two different hoods. The way we've determined the hood is constructed, it should have the correct fullness when up and lay nicely when down at the same time.

This costume was made from a very liquid, '70s polyester, which would naturally have a good drape and weight to it. That would also make more than one version for hood purposes unnecessary and there would be no need to spread the hood out at the shoulder to get it to lay right. If you are using a different fabric, say a woven cotton or other, you may have problems.

I hope I've understood you correctly on your comments and concerns. :)

11. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I know what you mean about it laying as flat as it does and I think I might have a solution for that, without the need for two seperate hoods. I'm currently working on a new version of this (my first version was with the Butterick patter) that has to be done by Saturday morning; I'll let y'all know if what I have in mind works out, probably tomorrow night or Friday. I'm not sure if it'll work properly, so I don't want to say "this is how to do it" until I know if it will or not.

12. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    I hope it works for you! Can't wait to hear how you did it. :)

*crossing fingers*

13. moogybaby

moogybaby Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2003
    thanks, Stormtrooper Princess.

I've been reviewing ANH and I think I pick up three versions of the dress!

Please let me know how it turns out.

Peace.

Tom

14. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    The hood is more like a scarf than it is a hood. Its a scarf attached to the dress.

I used Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy's directions and the gown came out great. It looks exactly like the one in the movie. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.