main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, the cheapest for Loose Synthetic Hair I had gotten here is $12 (US$7), about 1/2-2/3 the amount sold at Sally Beauty Supply. Maybe if I had mentioned I am a member of this particular Cosplaying Club I could had gotten discount. Anyhow, it's many times cheaper than buying from the wigs shop.

Paradoxigirl, getting your fabrics from Chinatown or Arab Street? :D

2. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Darth_Eagle: I don't think so, I'm pretty new to Singapore so I'll probably go get my stuff at Spotlight...unless I'm feeling particularly adventurous or I can convince one of my friends to take me. But then mocks and prelims and then the A's are coming up and everyone's already swotting lke there's no tomorrow...

I'm thinking a satin for the dress itself and then georgette for the sleeves.

By the way, where did you get your hair from?

3. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    unless I'm feeling particularly adventurous or I can convince one of my friends to take me.

Personally, I like to go between Spotlight, Chinatown & Arab Street as either places got their own credits and specialities. And I usually get my prop/parts making stuffs from either Spotlight or Bras Basah Complex.

But then mocks and prelims and then the A's are coming up and everyone's already swotting lke there's no tomorrow...

LOL! The pains of taking GCEs. ;) Been there twice and I still can't forget the nights I stayed back in JC to study.

I'm thinking a satin for the dress itself

Any particular type of Satin you got in mind? Personally I like to use Silky Satin but I don't think Spotlight have it (or they gave it another name like Dancetime Satin?). Duchess or Bridal Satin will also do but it's quite ex but thicker (SGD16.95/m).

and then georgette for the sleeves.

I think it'll be a bit too thick (if you're getting Double Georgette) and too soft (it's as soft as Chiffon). How about Crytal Organza? It should cost SGD7.99/m.

By the way, where did you get your hair from?

Chinatown, People's Park Food Centre 3rd level. Can provide address if needed but be warn that the shop only got the hair in natural colors like Black, Dark Brown etc.

Anyhow, I had e-mail you so maybe we can continue this discussions by e-mails. ;)

4. JediMasterLeia

JediMasterLeia Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    Mirax H

I want to thank you for your help again. I wrote you from RPF board. This is "Alderaan Girl" ;) Anyhow...I know how everyone feels doing a Leia gown seems to be frustrating especially with Halloween coming up before you know it. LOL Well, to me atleast sinc I am new at sewing.

5. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    You are very welcome Jedi Master Leia!

6. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Rather than making with dress with sleeves, like Mirax H did, I'm planning to make the cape version. Which leads me to my question: What is a good pattern with an underarm zipper, or that could be easily altered so that the zipper is under one arm instead of down the back? That's the only way I can think of making the dress easy to get into, without having to do something funky with the cape at the neckline in back.

7. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    StormtrooperPrincess: How do you mean the cape version? Sorry, ignoramus here... *sheepish* But I'm thinking if you get any design with a seam at the side, you can just put the zip ( I like to use the invisible ones) at the side instead of at the back...I don't use bought paper patterns so I'm not sure if it'd turn out correctly, but I think it shouldn't really make a difference--I think.

By the way, after looking at pictures, it seems to me that the dress has some sort of empire-sort line with gathers at the bust...am I hallucinating or what?

8. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    If you go to Mirax's page about this dress, the portrait edition Leia doll at the bottom of the page has an attached cape that starts at the bust line (the gathers you're seeing there), and falls as a regular cape in back. There's another version (seen here and here), where the "cape" is actually sleeves.

I've never really messed with zippers before, which is why I'm asking about patterns with the zipper already on the side. But there has to be a first time for everything, so I guess this is it. *laugh*

9. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    StormtrooperPrincess: I looked at the portrait doll--actually, I thought those were sleeves too...if you look at the right side, the sleeve is folded over behind the doll's arm...looks like a sleeve rather than a cape to me...but a cape would look really cool, now that you say it... =)

About the zip, don't worry too much about it...I'm sure your costume will come out great, no matter how you do it.

By the way, I've got another version of the second picture that you posted--it's been retouched somewhat (maybe sharpened, judging from the lines on it) and I think there are definite gathers from an empire cut. If you want the pic, just tell me and I'll e-mail it to you or something.

I'm making my trial run (hopefully) on Thursday or Friday if I can take some time out from studying for my History mock exam...if I can I'll post pics...

By the way, how does one attach the 'sleeves' to this thing? I've been thinking about it (during boring classes) and the most logical way seems to be to 'sandwich' the sleeve between the neckline of the dress and the facing, sew, flip the facing in, then stitch on top to keep the facing in place (sorry, don't know the proper sewing terminology for this...). But then what about the facing for the armhole? Wouldn't it overlap at the shoulder and make it rather bulky? Logistically, I can't think of a way to do it with an all-in-one facing. Suggestions?

Gosh, sorry for the long post!

10. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Okay, sorry, but right after I posted that long rambling message I got a brainstorm and I didn't want to edit and make it even longer than it already was...

What if I made the dress without the sleeves, then cut the sleeves and put snaps on them, the mates to the snaps being inside the dress on the facing so I can just snap the sleeves on? (Is this making sense to anyone but me?)

Then I could use the dress for something else, like my much-planned-but-not-forthcoming-till-after-the-exams Queen Amidala Parade Gown! What do you all think?

11. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    On the portrait edition, it is done as a cape, no split in the back, one solid piece. Hence, why I did mine with a split in back, can't get into it otherwise and wanted it all permanently attached. The real gown was done as sleeves. I did mess with the idea of suing velcro down the back to join the 2 pieces. I tried it on with it all pinned together but it didn't flow very nicely. Looke much better when walking if I left the split in back instead of a solid "cape".

12. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    From the cover of Starlog's "25 years of Schi-fi and Fantasy" issue, a close up of a picture of Leia's white gown with what looks like a full cape instead of the sleeves: http://bluecastle.crosswinds.net/Leia-with-cape.jpg. I've seen this picture before, but it's not as prevailant as the sleeved ones.

Paradoxigirl, that's a good question. I haven't really thought out yet how I'm going to manage attaching the cape (or sleeves, depending on which version you go with) to the rest of the dress.

13. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Err, why is Leia having the 2 buns on her head for this shot? ?[face_plain]

14. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    MiraxH: Oh...I see...I think I understand you now about the cape thing--that it's one full piece across the back too, yes?

StormtrooperPrincess: Great picture! You're right, it isn't as prevalent--I've never seen it before! I'm thinking on my trial I'll try with the two facings to see if it's too thick.

Darth_Eagle: Ya know, that's a really good question...thanks for the great jokes, by the way!

15. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Yes, that's correct Paradoxi girl. What also may help in design is also watching the movie. Since there aren't really much for pictures, I looked at the movie several times as well. Again, not many shots of it but it did help.

16. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    *giggles evilly* An excuse to watch Star Wars again? I'll drink to that!

But really, I do agree that there aren't very many good pictures of this...we don't even know what it looks like from the back...compare that to all the shots we get of Natalie Portman...

17. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Okay, went out and bought some cheap cotton to do my trial run. Watched ANH again and drove my brothers crazy because I rewound the medal ceremony part several times.

I finally decided that I'll do an empire-line dress with gathers at the bust.

The sleeves/cape I'm still undecided about--from the movie, they look like sleeves (they seem to be sewn up under her upper arms), yet I see fabric crinkles on the shoulder, presumably from the sleeve/cape fabric covering the shoulder strap.

I've decided that I'm going to use my original plan--cape-style, separated at the back for the zip, disappearing into the neckline. Basically, a large rectangle of fabric sewn in between the neck and neck facing, if you can make sense of that description. The sleeves I'll bind using bias binding. (Non traditional, I know, but if it holds...)

Okay, that's all I can think of now. Will check back later with a progress report. Wish me luck! *fingers crossed*

18. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    MTFBWY!

19. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    MTFBWY!

Sorry...what does that mean? *sheepish message board newbie...*

Well, got the main dress done today...it's not too bad, except that the zip I got is too short and it's a bit of a tight fit getting in and out.

So far, I've already got a few alterations I want to make--the straps should be thinner, I made mine an a inch and a half, so I think maybe an inch or less would do. The armholes are too big at the bottom so they bunch, and the hip seems to flare out abruptly but my sis says that ironing will help...or else I'll just alter it. Not too bad at all.

Other than that, I've got to do the sleeves tomorrow, so we'll see how that turns out. I'll see about using my brother's awful webcam to take a few pics just to show y'all...

I *really* shouldn't be this excited, huh? =)

20. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    "May The Force Be With You."

Yes! Pictures! I won't be able to start on mine for a while, but I'd love to see how yours turns out. :) Hopefully I'll be buying my dress form this afternoon, so that I'll have help draping my version of the cape when I do get to it.

21. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    May the Force be with you! *slaps forehead* Duh! Sometimes my stupidity amazes even me!

Okay, here are two pictures. I only attached one sleeve because I ran out of cloth--you can see how short the sleeve is--it's supposed to be quite a bit longer, so just use your imagination. I think that:

a. My brother's webcam really sucks.
    b. I really need to do some work on those bacon arms of mine.
    c. I could use a waist as well...
    d. While I'm at it, some boobs would be nice too.

Oh well.

But other than that, what do y'all think?

http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/leia1.bmp

http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/leia2.bmp

Sorry I can't link them properly, Yahoo won't let me because I don't have a proper page up yet...

22. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    It looks really nice so far. Even with just one sleeve. *smile*

23. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Thanks, StormtrooperPrincess! =) *pride swells heart*

24. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Look like your mock gown is coming along well, Paradoxigirl! ;) I'm sure the actual one will look even more better.

25. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Aw shucks, thanks, Darth_Eagle! I hope the real dress will turn out well too!

If not for the help that everyone gave me, I doubt it would've turned out this well! Please feel free to give me any comments you have--it can only get better! =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.