main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    You can use PCM in molds also to product identical pieces.
    Be careful with the resin. Read the label concerning ventilation as some resins take a very long time to exhaust out all of the "smells" that you are not supposed to breathe. Some of them also quite a while to cure and during that time you should not let them touch any surface that you care about. I have 2 medallions I received as awards at a convention and it took over two years for the smell to go away and before I trusted them to touch any thing except the wax paper they were wrapped in.

Good luck with which ever way you try the necklace.

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, I had considered trying to make some sort of press mold, but then there is still the hassle with the part of the piece that wraps under the back - etc. I'd also imagine that even with a press mold a lot of fine tuning would have to be done by hand to each piece. Mind you, I did have the patience to mold all of my sculpey pieces individually so I know it's not impossible. I'd rather just avoid it if I can.

I'll keep that in mind, I know there are many different types of resins. I've purchased prop items people have made from resin and there was no smell to them at all, so I'll be curious to see what happens. I hope to work on this in mid December :)

Resin seems to be a viable jewelry making compound (I've found tutorials online and artists who make beads from resin casts). My bigger question mark is how well the silver plating process will work, since the pieces have to be sprayed with silver metal paint to make them conductive.

- Kay Dee

3. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I've been meaning to post this ever since the Dallas Comic-Con 6 back in October, but have been without a computer for three weeks. Eventually, I'll scan in the areas in question, but for now digital camera images will have to do.

Apparently, the center neckline "wrinkle" is actually a fold.

A slightly different promo shot (compare with the promo shot on the Padawan's Guide page), from officialpix.com:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/leiacost/officialpixceremonial.jpg]

Close up of the neckline with and without flash:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/leiacost/necklinenoflash.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/leiacost/necklinewithflash.jpg]

It also looks like there might be

4. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yup! I noticed the fold too when I got my photo from Official pix. Actually, I noticed it back when I was making my first gown and studying screen caps. I just got gun shy at trying to replicate it because I was having such an awful time as it was with the sleeves and neckline.

Thanks for posting the pictures :)

- Kay Dee

5. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Yeah, I saw that wrinkle and decided to stich my fold down anyway. Call it the OCD in me, but I liked the cleaner feel of the stitching than of the fold. -=shrug=-

Link to autograph like promised.

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh how handy it is that your name is Leah! It made for a fun personalized autograph. I hope I can meet her some day :)

- Kay Dee

7. darthlrrp

darthlrrp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2005
    that is sooooooooooo cooooooooooooooool!

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Lucky this is already on my list to re-do anyway :p

So, let the discussion begin on how to achieve that little foldy sucker... or has it been covered? I read this whole thread earlier this year but I might have just not retained that fold detail if it was discussed.

9. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Hi everyone--back from the land of serious lurking (in other words, too much work and very little time near a computer the last several months)...

On mine I did not include a fold, considering it unnecessary at the time, although I recall vaguely a discussion of a fold, seamline or tuck in the bodice in the past. But now that I'm up for a redo for various reasons (better fabric and a couple of details I neglected to add since it was made in a bit of a hurry at the time) and there is better pictorial evidence for a fold, I will include it in the newer version.

But after staring at the scans you posted (and I'm definitely going to order my own copy for reference), StormtrooperPrincess, I'm curious if any of you see it's opposite on the other side of it or not, suggesting the possibility of two folds creating an upside down V with its point at the center front. Either that or it's just a wrinkle from the twist of her body.

I guess I'm just trying to ponder the necessity of the fold in the first place, and in my mind it seems to make more sense to have two flanking folds forming the V and therefore tucking things in around the bust with a better form fit than with just one fold on the left side?

Then again, it is practically midnight and I could be completely off my rocker. I-)

10. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    My mother, (because I'm learnding ;)) is handling most of the work, she loves the chiffon I bought, but doesn't think much of the jersey. Good news though, the christmas Pageant is this week so I'll have pictures of the dress.

Bad news is my hair-piece isn't ready, so I'm doing the promotional Leia, (or poster Leia) with the buns, (my own hair is below the waist so I think I'll get away with it.) I have the silver bangle (which took forever to find) but I haven't made my necklace yet.

I will hopefully get it completed at the begining of next year, (a costume for the HP movie snuck it's way into my plans) so pictures on Sunday, (Australian time.)

11. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually, the more I look at the larger scan Maggie posted on her site, the more I'm wondering if the sleeve-bodice is actually two pieces overlapped in the center instead of one giant piece. You can see where there's a similar line at the same angle just on the other side of the bodice center, but it's smooth at the neck edge. Or it could just be a fitting adjustment only needed on one side. *shrug*

And Aranel sparked the idea that it zips up the left side:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/leiacost/zipper.jpg]

12. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    It sure looks like a zipper there...

13. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looking at the screen caps again I don't think there is a corresponding 'v' fold/tuck on the right side. Just the one that looks like a wrinkle or fold on the left side, shown above in STP's pics.

14. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
  15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yup, I agree - I noticed the zipper on the side a while back as well and that's why I put my invisible zipper on that side when making mine. Sorry I never got around to scanning my pics from official pics or posting my other observations. :(

It's probably already been mentioned, but you can also see that the outer sheer layer wraps under the neck line and is folded in about .5" or so and probably sewn down by hand. It's not caught up in the seam allowance of the neck line.

- Kay Dee

*edit* I always thought the fold in the front bodice overlay was one of three things.

1) just part of the design
    2) It was tricky getting the overlay to wrap around the neckline smoothly when I made mine. Maybe they had to put that fold in to get the fabric to lay the way they wanted it to. A way to add in some ease and fit it it nicely?
    3) Perhaps the sleeve wings are two pieces sewn together into one large piece, the joining seam being hidden by the fold. (less likely, but a good way to make the sleeves if you can't find 58" wide fabric.)

I think in order to make the fold it just has to be drafted in like a pleat would be.

Wow, I had never caught the detail of the seam at the waist in the back! Hooray - good eye! It is interesting that that seam doesn't line up with the place where the front piece of the bodice comes down.

16. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Oh wow! :eek: Lucky you FenigDurak, that is an awesome picture!!!

I have some pictures of me from the Norwood Christmas Pageant, (yes, that's the one with the great Sail Barge float)

Here are some of the good ones:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/DSC00828s.jpg]

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/DSC00830s.jpg]

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/DSC00842s.jpg]

I'm happy with the dress, it was nice and flowy. I had little girls on the sidelines that yelled out:

"Princess Leia!"

And, "Merry Christmas Princess!" [face_blush] It was so cute.

I'll put up some more pictures if I get them. I know I posed for a lot of them. (Though that doesn't mean they all will show up [face_thinking])

My fanforce and I are attending a Variety Club Christmas Party for sick and disadvantaged kids, I might wear it there if it's hot. (It's a good alternative to the ANH Senatorial gown in hot weather, no boots :))

I just have to make the necklace and finish of the headpiece, ready for any conventions that might pop up in Australia sometime soon.

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Your costume looks like it came together nicely Aiel :) It's always fun when people recognize your character in a parade.

Your buns turned out well also! How did you make yours?

- Kay Dee

18. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Thanks Kay-Dee! :) I did the buns by grabbing an old wig and putting it on my head. I then made pig-tails out of it, using clear plastic hair-ties, on either side of my head, then I took off the wig and cut them off.

Then I twirled them into circular shapes and measured them on my head in a mirror (I had a close up picture of the back and front of Carrie Fisher with the buns pinned up next to the mirror so I could get them about the right size.)

Then I pinned them together using bobby pins. And on the day I made my usual buns with my hair, pinned the false hair around them, and put hair nets over the top like I usually do with my ANH costume.

It came out looking really good, but the wig was a little fairer then my own hair, so I?m probably going to buy another two wigs in the future, for the buns and to finish the hair piece.

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    All the renewed interest in this costume has caused me to go through my archive of photos and notes and I'm in the middle of putting together a rough web site with info on my gown and all the research I collected.

I found a diagram I made last year and I think had sent off to Maggie... but as I recall she was waiting for me to do write-ups to accompany some of my diagrams (whoops!) I can't remember if I posted it here. But it's just another image that sort of shows how the outer layer of the bodice has those folds and wrinkles.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/leia_cermonial/bust_wrinkles.jpg]

Nothing extrodinary, I just had the feeling I had seen them before :)

You might also notice that it appears as if there is about a 1 - 1.5" facing used around the neck line as well as at the arm cycles. (you can see it showing through a bit). This lends me be believe that the dress may just be two layers without a 3rd lining layer as I made mine. No matter, my opaque layer was too sheer without the extra lining added. A minor modification.

You can make out the facing layer in this photo of her back too:

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/leia_cermonial/back_shoulder.jpg]

- Kay Dee

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't know how many of you get hyperspace, but I had to post a link to this new photo of the Ceremony scene.

ANH Ceremony Scene Photo - Hyperspace

I was stunned to see that the back of the skirt actually has a train! I guess this is the first time we've ever seen a side view of the bottom of the skirt while she is standing (or a back view for that matter). The train isn't huge, it looks like it's roughly a foot long and seems to start to extend from the side seam on back.

As excited as I am about this new discovery, I'm also kind of bummed. I like wearing this costume because it doesn't have a train. So do I do version 2.0 with the train now?!?

- Kay Dee

21. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    well, take it from someone who knows absolutely nothing, but hey, if you don't redo the dress, those of us without hyperspace will never know the difference cause we never saw a train! :) so it kinda depends on how 'movie perfect' you want it...
    That's really cool that there is a picture of it, though!

22. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Ooooo nice picture, you can also see skin near the arm hole ;)

When I eventually get around to making this one, I think I'll leave the train off, trains are hard to walk around in at conventions and events.

EDIT:Ooops, its Benae_Quee, I forgot to log out of my fiance's account [face_blush]

23. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
    Kay_Dee, I say do it sans train. You made the dress and enjoy it because you don't have to worry about fabric dragging and getting dirty, so why bother remaking it into something that you won't enjoy as much?

24. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I was gonna say!! ;)

25. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    *coming out of lurking*

Kay_Dee, I think your gown is very lovely and if you are happy with it sans the train, I say stick with it. But if you're like me and already wanted to make a few tweaks, then I would add the train since you would already be retackling the costume in the first place.

To see the train really cements for me the fact that I will do a new version of my ceremonial gown come the new year. I had been considering it for some time now to add details I did not have before (the fold in the bust and such), not to mention I want better material than the crepe I initally used. And the train just makes the gown that much more elegant to my mind. True, it will make conventions difficult, but it could easily be treated like Empire-waist gowns of the Napoleonic-era--I'm thinking a finger loop would solve the issue nicely for walking among the crowds.

I will say it's about darn time they showed another angle on the gown! And what a great shot of the wing sleeves slipping forward to reveal her bare shoulder! *sigh* Why must Lucasfilm be so stingy with their classic trilogy pictures? Bad enough most of the costume documentation is prequels (no offense to Trisha's exemplary work and to prequel trilogy costume fans--I love them just as much as the next fan), but we know there is so much more visual documentation out there for the classic trilogy and the classic trilogy costume fans should be remembered equally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.