main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I think there should be a costume book for the OT myself, considering how many pictures they've posted on Hyperspace that I've never seen before. I know some of the original costumes are in bad shape and/or missing, but I think it would make a good book to come out in, say...2007? ;)

As for adding a train, I'm all for it for accuracy's sake, but remember, there's an increased chance of it getting stepped on at crowded conventions. :(

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    You know, I've searched and searched for something better than double georgette for the overlay and really haven't found anything spectacular. I did purchase some one way stretch sheer tricot, but it doesn't seem as sturdy to me as the georgette. This costume takes a beating and I would just dread seeing the tricot get all snagged up.

I did want to make a whole new version of the gown because my neck overlay didn't turn out right. There are issues with the fit too. Using a finger loop is an idea... I have to give this more thought. Carrying a train around never looks great and it cumbersome.

I agree jedhead1! I was thinking the same thing today as I scoured through hyperspace photoreceptor for pictures! I wish these were all published in a book. Original star Wars Chronicles has some good photos, but there are all so darn small. Not the best for costume research.

Maybe if Trisha's book did well enough there will be motive to release a book that really focuses on the OT cosumes (I wish!)

- Kay Dee

3. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Who all has a personal site on constructing this one? I have pattern M4371 and fabric (I hope what I bought works). I bought it at an outlet, so I'm not 100% on what I have, but it just felt right.

Thanks!

4. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Does anyone know what material this dress is made out of??

I went to Joanns the other day, and I bought some really neat fabric. It has an almost silky texture, but less ravelly, and it has a slightly rougher texture. I bought it for another outfit, and I didn't look to see what it was called because I knew it was what I wanted and I was in a hurry, (that is probably the first time in my life I have spent less than 5 minutes in a fabric store) but I *think* it will work for this costume, but I didn't see what this one is made from...

Thanks!
    ~N

5. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    The real costume? It might have been a qiana base layer. Perhaps some sort of a semi-sheer stretch nylon for the outer layer and sleeves. Nobody knows for sure.

If you read through this thread you'll find lots of great suggestions on modern day fabrics that substitute well for this costume.

- Kay Dee

6. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Well, I'm finally through all 23 pages! Here's some info.

I thought someone might find the Butterick B4130 pattern interesting. It's VERY similar to M4371, which is out of print. And, it's only $2.99. http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4163=x&TI='b4163'&page=1

You have to round the neck and move the zipper to the side if you prefer, but otherwise, I think you will be good to go. I think I have a copy of every pattern used for this dress. We'll see which one I actually cut out. :)

For the main dress, I have a nylon tricot spandex I bought at Golden D'Or. For the overlay, I have spandex. My biggest concern is the spandex may snag. If nothing else, it was inexpensive enough I can use it as muslin fabric. I have a double georgette swatch to ponder too. For the lining and practice, I have stretch knit polyester from JoAnn's.

I have silver Premo Sculpey for the necklace.

I think for the version 1 belt and the belt for my daughter, I may use Silver Vinyl from Hancock's. I'm waiting for a 40% off coupon to pick it up. I have the silver buttons. I need the metal. I think I will eventually do a leather belt. Tandy leather it just 30 minutes away from here, but painting, etc. will take time.

I have two pairs of pumps from eBay. I'm waiting on the second pair to arrive in the mail. Version 1 shoes do not fit my feet well, so they will be for sale soon. (Size 8.5...PM me if interested.) Both pairs are satin dyed shoes. I got silver ballet shoes for my daughter at The Children's Place. They are so cute.

Hmmm...what else. I've got to get some hair and a plan for it. I plan on checking some of the previous links. I love Zury, but I've had trouble finding what I prefer.

For my daughter's dress, I'm using B4717 as a base. http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4717=x&TI='b4717'&page=1 I'll have to modify it, but for a child's costume, I won't be as screen accurate.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

7. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I finally finished my dress tonight.
    [image=http://www.blastylava.com/CLeia1.jpg] [image=http://www.blastylava.com/CLeia2.jpg]
    I don't know why, but the bust area was nicely formed until I added the wings. Oh well, after all the work putting this thing together, there's no way I'm going to mess with it anytime soon. As it was, I called the wings and bodice every name I could think of, and I made up a couple of new ones. This was not a fun process! Someone is making a necklace for me, so I'll have that in a week or two. :D

Kay_Dee your site is a wonder, and I would have given up on the dress if I didn't have it as a reference!! =D=

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, your costume looks nice lavagrrrl! If it makes you feel any better, I had similar problems with my neckline and the overlay. I wanted to redo it, but I was afraid I might mess it up even more so I left it alone. I'm hoping I will master it if I ever get around to making my upgrade.

I'm glad my site helped! This costume is so much more complicated than it seems.

- Kay Dee

9. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Congratulations, lava! It turned out beautifully!

Regards,
    M.

10. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Gorgeous, Lava--very well done indeed! :)

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow lavagrrrl! You look fantastic, and your dress came out excellent! Congratulations!

12. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Thanks everyone! :D

13. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    Princess Lesa,
    I purchased pumps from Walmart, sanded them, then painted with (several coats)silver acrylic. She wore them for 2 days and they still look great!
    I used gray vinyl for the paint and used the same silver acrylic paint.. I cut out the pieces with Aluminum flashing, polished them, then followed "Obe-Wan's Jedi Academy" for the directions.
    I also used silver polymer glay and my son and I made each piece of the neclace according to OJA. We still painted the silver clay with silver paint but I think some kind of lisver leafing would have been brighter.
    I followed Kay_dee's instructions for the dress. It turned out great except I agree on the overlay of the neckline. This didn't work but with lots of hand sewing I got it to work ok.
    Thanks! I used a different pattern but realized I had to cut a separate back bodice since the back was all one piece and the sheer had to hang separate.
    I used double georgette (poly) and have machine washed the dress beautifully!

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm unlocking this thread since I think I've found something that might very well be inspired by this dress.

Nightwish is a Finnish metal band and to the remake of their single Sleeping Sun the female singer was dressed in this dress.
    [image=http://www.nightwishspain.com/coppermine/albums/Sleeping_Sun_2005version/normal_Nightwish_SleepingSun2005_003.jpg]

Now if you look closer here you can see a necklace very similar to Leia's.

[image=http://www.nightwishspain.com/coppermine/albums/Sleeping_Sun_2005version/normal_Nightwish_SleepingSun2005_001.jpg]

I wouldn't be too surprised if it's a Lapponia piece. It was hard to find stills from the music video, if you want to see it better I recommend people to try to find it on youtube or something. Don't be too scared by the fact that it's a metal band, this is a ballad and she sings like an opera singer.

15. Yeesha

Yeesha Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2006
    Here's close-up from the necklace.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/Jedi_Yeesha/Sekalaista/koru.jpg]

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, that is very similar necklace. First Janet Jackson wears the yellow Padme family gown, now this :p

17. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    It also looks a bit like Eowyn's dress from Lord of the Rings.

18. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Hi everyone. I am making this costume for C4 and I have a few questions.

I am currently making Leia's necklace. I am using sculpy to mold it. I have to paint it to give it that silver shiny look and was wonder what some of y'all used. The brand and all. Also is the paint durable?

Also, I know there is an empire waist, but is there a seam that goes to the top of the neckline or does it curve and continue to the otherside? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks. :)

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Welcome Jedi-Siri :)

The seam line does not go to up to the neckline. It makes a V shape under the neck line.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/leia_cermonial/pinup_seamlines.jpg]

I actually didn't paint my necklace. I layered on silver leafing. I know some people use a silver leafing pen (I guess it is an ink or a paint in the pen) and have good results. I have a friend who tried a silver leafing pen on her sculpey and it turned sticky when it reacted with the sculpey :(

20. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Thanks for the info Kaydee! I've seen your Ceremonial Gown is it is just beautiful. Actually yours is what inspired me to make mine. I can't wait to see what you turn out next.

I actually just purchased a Simplicity pattern 4401. Its a top. I'm making the costume in two peices because it will fit my shape better. Curves are not fun. lol It has the V in it but from the seam it has a V up to the neckline. I'm going to cut the pattern on the fold so it won't have the seam up to the neckline. I'll also have to make another alteration because it has seams down the front, I think they are princess seams? I'm going to make that into one piece.

I wanted to get another pattern that was suggested on here but the Simplicity patterns were on sale and Hancocks didn't have the ones suggested.

Another question. I'm making the hairpiece out of a bag of hair from Sally's. I wanted to make it so I could just slip it on my head and not have to tie it up and pin it, so more of a permanent headpiece. What would y'all suggest? I've considered molding a wire frame or even using a cup, but I wanted to see if there was a better way.

Thanks for the help! :)

21. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I bought New Look 6294 for my dress (When I get to making it). It's actually a top and skirt pattern, but I'm hoping I can lengthen the top into a dress (possibly by using the skirt pattern included as the bottom half of the top). The only other alteration is to make the neckline round rather than a V.

For the fabrics I've got double angel georgette for the sleeves and overlay, and I did get some microcrepe for the dress, but I'm considering it might be better to use a stretch fabric (considering the polyester interlock that I used for my Classic dress). I don't expect to be making this for a while though; either towards the end of the year or possibly next year. It depends on when I have time to get to it :D

22. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I still have to purchase my fabric. I found fabric for the sleeves at this place called Mary Jo's but I didn't get it. I'm going to have to go back now. For the dress I was actually thinking about doing it out of a cotton interlock. I know this isn't really accurate but I really like the fabric. Or try to find a crepe. I still have to find the fabric.

23. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm doing this dress for C4 too. :) The belt should be finished in a few days. I finished the dress but it is too big. [face_worried] So now I have to taper down the sides.
    For the necklace I used Sculpy Primo (the primo sculpy doesn't tend to break) I then colored it with Elmer's Metallic Painters pen (silver). It worked great. I used silver jewlery wire to join the pieces together.

24. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Elmer's Metallic Patiners pen? I think I had a black one at one point. Can you get one at Michaels?

I actually just cut out the metal plates for the belt today and I am so happy with the way they turned out.

I'm sure your dress will turn out great! I'd love to see pictures. :)

25. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Jedi-Siri, I think actually the interlock might work well. I know Starfire-Phoenix was telling me that after making hers, she thought a stretch fabric would work better for the main dress. And actually, I've always felt that it was made out of the same fabric as the classic dress anyway. The sleeves jsut don't have the look of a chiffon, the really look more like a woven fabric, plus the classic dress is thin enough to be used as an overlay. It makes sense that if it was a small budget, they would utilize the same fabric.

Could you make the necklace out of that metallic sculpy? I've never used it, but I've seen other people use precious metals clay with great results.

I'm going to be making a new belt for my Classic dress, so I'm going to make the both of them at the same time. I've already got the silver leather all cut out, just need to add the belt plates and snaps. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.