Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Jedi-Siri Jedi Master

star 1
    Hmm well I might go ahead and make it out of the interlock. I like that fabic anyway.

Last_Chael, I saw on your costume journal you've made Elizabeth Swann's Pirate coat. I made her waist coat costume for the Pirates 2 primere and wanted to redo it for Pirates 3 and make the coat as well. Do you have pictures?
  2. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    I made the Coat, waistcoat and shirt for the Pirates 2 screening (I would have made the pants but didn't have time). It turned out alright, but I wasn't happy with the shirt and waistcoat so I'm hoping to remake them for Pirates 3. The jacket I loved! Though I still need to sew on the buttons and finish off the trimming. I don't have any really good pictures, as it was a rush to get to the movie. The photos I do have are here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Events%202006/PotC%202%20Screening/ That first photo is the best I have of the coat. I was pretty happy with it, considering I only had 2 days to make it! I can take some more photos of it if you'd like? I found the best resource for pictures was Maggie's 'costumers guide' site. She's also got pictures up there of the original costume. The only thing I need to change on my jacket is to add the back pleats (Which I didn't know about at the time of making it). I managed to pick up some more fabric on sale, and since I've lost heaps of weight, I was considering making a whole new outfit, and selling off the old one (once I add the finishing details).

It hinkt he interlock should work really well! definitely let us know how it goes! I'm very interested to see how it looks!
  3. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I made a wire frame my first time and attached braids to it. I hated it. The shape just wasn't quite right or something. That's not to say it can't work, but getting a base shape that is the right size is key.

I've just found it easier to wrap my braids around my bun on top of my head. It looked more natural.

As for my next costume - oh gosh. I've been in a huge slump. I don't think I'll have anything new for C4. Kind of ironic, since it is a Star Wars convention!
  4. Jedi-Siri Jedi Master

star 1

Well your costumes are so beautiful I'm sure you'll find something to wear. ;)

Thanks for the advice on the hair, I'll probably end up not using a frame, it would take up too much time.
  5. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    I used silver colored sculpy for the necklace pieces, but it turned a dull grey after baking. I used a silver leaf marker/paint pen on the necklace. It holds up fine after using a few coats of clear sealing spray once everything is dry. :)
  6. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Kay-Dee,

What kind of braids or hair do you use and how much? I've been contempleting getting hair on a rubber band like this: http://www.acewigs.com/shop/wigs/Look_of_Love_Hairpieces/26769.php#

Maybe 2 of these, one to go around the top and one to hang down. What do you suggest?
  7. AmmersVI Jedi Master

star 4
    For the necklace, I just painted over the top and side parts with the Elmer's painter's pen and left it at that. It seems to be holding up just fine. :) And yes you can get the painter's pen and primo sculpy at Michael's.

I'll try to have some pics up before C4...
  8. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Gosh, I'm pretty sure I documented the hair I used a long time ago here. I'd literally have to look through every page of this thread to find it... so I'll leave that up to you :) (check for around the time of C3 - that's when I made my new hair discovery)

I know I used this silky straight hair. http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/silky_braid.html The thing I love about this hair is how long it is, and all the colors it comes in. (many shades of brunette and light brown)

I had to unfold it to make the hair long enough - just folding the last few inches of one end over to secure it so it wouldn't be loose - then wrapping it with wire so it wouldn't all come loose (I used a glue gun on the end too).

I can't remember if I had to combine 1.5 packages to make each braid thick enough. That's the kind of detail I probably documented here a few years ago. I then wrap 2 of these long braids around my own bun, and use the third as the long braid going down my back.

Warning - this silky hair is really hard to work with. Buy extra, because I almost guarantee your first time playing with it you will mess up! It loves to get tangled. But once you get the hang of how to carefully handle and comb it, and you get some good braids made, they hold up well and can be reused again and again!

The hair piece you linked to looks interesting, but I don't think it is long enough. When my braids are undone they are about 38" long.
  9. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the info, Kay Dee. I checked your site and while you have TONS about the costume and the necklace, you just mention that you use hair extensions(that goes for Sister Sola's site as well). I was just looking for more specific info and thanks again. I think they have a version of that hair piece that is 36" long so it may be worth considering(I think the easier you can make hair extensions, the better :)
  10. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    That is pretty expensive for one hair piece! [face_money_eyes]

Kay_Dee is right, it just takes a little patience to get the silky stuff to work. Braiding it is a lot easier than making buns out of it, IMO (I still can't get it into decent buns). I did need my husband to hold up the end of the hair while I braided, since it is so long. Three long braids is about right, and I combined 1.5 packages per braid. I ordered from the site Kay_Dee recommended. As you said, she made an OUTSTOUNDING Ceremonial Leia, so I tried to do everything she said to do, but I didn't get the same results, lol. :)
  11. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    That sounded interesting, so I checked it. Honestly, I suspect that braid is thicker than Leia's. You might end up having to unbraid it, take some of the hair out, and rebraid it. The nice thing is that those pony tail switches are really secure (Well, I have some revlon ones that are well made anyway).
  12. Jedi-Siri Jedi Master

star 1
    I saw the sample pictures of the colors they offer, is that pretty close to the color they actually are. My hair is hard to match because it has red in it. I know it says they can match it by having a sample of hair, but I'm not sure I have that much time.
  13. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    That would be me. Last summer I tried making my necklace out of sculpty and painting it with a silver leafing pen, but even with clear acryllic layers over it, the silver leafing ink still rubbed off. The piece would feel dry, but if you rubbed it with your skin (or even just touched it, really), silver ink rubbed off. I believe that Sister_Sola sucessfully made her necklace using a silver leafing pen though, without this problem, so I wonder if it depends on the brand of silver leafing pen you use and what solvents are in its ink. I used regular sculpy with a Krylon silver leafing pen (purchased at Michaels) and a Plaid Patricia Nimocks Clear Acrylic Sealer Gloss overcoat, in case it helps to know what didn't work well. :)

My new plan is to make my necklace pieces out of resin (purchased from Smooth-On) and spraypaint them silver. I've done a trial piece to get the hang of casting molds and resin pieces, but I haven't tried painting the resin yet.
  14. AmmersVI Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds like enough of us might be wearing this to C4 want to do a group photo like what is being done for the origional leia dress?
  15. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I'm not going to be at C4, but I will be wearing this dress the same weekend at my college graduation. I just ordered the fabric this week, and I'm pretty excited to get cracking on it. I've been wanting to make it since I picked up the shoes a year and a half ago- I found silver heels at a sidewalk sale, for a dollar. They're not perfect, but they're pretty darn good. And how often do you find silver shoes anymore?

Yay happy having projects to work on. It's been too long since I've had a good project (of my own) to sew. :D
  16. Jedi-Siri Jedi Master

star 1
    Oh I'd love to get a group photo. :)
  17. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    I will be there. I am making my son Ceremonial Luke, too!!
  18. AmmersVI Jedi Master

star 4
    A little ceremonial Luke! That is going to be so cute! :)
  19. Jedi-Siri Jedi Master

star 1
    When would be a good day/time to do the group photo?
  20. AmmersVI Jedi Master

star 4
    Check out the "CIV GROUP PHOTO SHOOT - Classic Senatorial ANH Leia" thread, I think they are still discussing the day but they decided to include Ceremonial Leia. :)
  21. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just got my new necklace. :eek: Thank you so much, Sister Sola. I just have to work on my new belt and hair and I will be done and take some pics once I get my camera.
  22. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
  23. Jedi-Siri Jedi Master

star 1
    I went to find button blanks for the belt today at Michaels. The people are very ignorant. Everytime I ask where something is they have no idea. I have no idea either, that is why I ask.lol. Anyway, did I even go to the right type of store? Are there any other places I could get the button blanks and is there a site to get them through incase I cannot find them in the store?
  24. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    Go to a fabric store like JoAnn's. I am sure they have them at JoAnns online as well :)
  25. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    They are in the notions section of JoAnn's and Hancock Fabric stores. Ask for button covers, not button blanks. They are sometimes called "half-ball" button covers. They are normally used to be covered with fabric.

Also, make sure you get them without "teeth". :)
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.