main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I had a hard time using the pressing tool that came with the buttons so I used super glue.
    http://public.fotki.com/AmmersV/sw_costuming/amybelt2.html
    I'm still working on getting a better fit on the dress.

2. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Thanks for the advise. I'm going to go to the fabric store this weekend and hopefully get what I need. I already have the metal pallets cut out and I made a pattern for my belt. I also purchased the fabric. I got a polyester interlock, which I hope works. It was pretty expensive (well for me) at $10 a yard, but I had a 40% off coupon so I got the fabric for $25.

I actually attempted to make a mock up this weekend but it didn't work. the pattern was too big for me. At least I cut it on fabric that can be thrown away.

3. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Okay, here's my dilemma- I am currently living in the middle of a cornfield. This is not really exaggerating all that much. I have the supplies for pretty much everything but for the hair and the belt. I have the means to get neither before I need to wear this costume, which is May 28. The hair I'm not so worried about- this isn't for a convention, it's for my graduation, and I have a really nice hairband/scarf thing that will look nice (especially if I decide to whack my hair before then, which is possible). The problem is the belt. Not only do I not have access to most of the supplies, but even if I did, I'm barely going to have time to make the costume. Yes, getting all your crap done to graduate is fun!

The question is: does anyone know either a) where I can have someone make me a belt of reasonable quality (I am working on a college budget still), or b) someone who has an old version of their belt they'd like to sell off?

Thanks much!

4. bluesaber

bluesaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2000
    I finished the dress and belt last night and wanted to share.
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/blueleeper/Ceremonial%20Leia/cer1small.jpg]
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/blueleeper/Ceremonial%20Leia/cer2small.jpg]

Thanks to everyone here for all the suggestions and to LeiaYT1300 for the help.

5. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    =D= Congrats! Job well done.

6. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Yaaaayyyy! :D

7. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    *sigh* I love that dress.
    You did a nice job on it. :)

8. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Oh that is beautiful! You did a fantastic job.

9. bluesaber

bluesaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2000
    Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, lovely job bluesaber. :)

Thought I'd mention that J.W. Rinzler's new book, The Making of Star Wars, has at least two pictures of Carrie in this dress that I have never seen before, both being promo pics. The first one is on page 170 of the book and is from the same photo shoot when her hair is down. The interesting thing about it is that she has her arms lifted up with her hands behind her head. You can see one of her underarms and it gives a new view of the wing/sleeve thingy. (At least new to me. :p ) And the second picture is when she is posed with Chewie, Luke and Han. But in this photo Chewie is holding her in his arms and one of her bare shoulders is visible. Kinda cool. :)

11. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    We just got that book today, and the photo where she has her arms up has made me all excited to remake the upper portion of mine! I'd scan it, but my scanner is on the fritz...

12. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I just got my book today too! I love the photo of her arms up and I want to scan it before I return the book. Yes, I have to return it because Amazon packaged it so poorly - the corner of the cover is dog eared! (Usually they are better about packaging things).

You can make out where the train starts too... notice how the skirt hem touches the ground at the sides.

I'm not spotting anything new about the sleeve construction, other than what seems to be a confirmation of what I thought I saw through the fabric all along! That it is folded at the bottom before being sewn into the side seam of the dress. It's also interesting to see how far the sleeve slips forward when Chewie is holding her.

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Not really about the costume but yesterday I was at a dinner and one of the older women there was wearing the Lapponia Galactic Peak necklace, which is the little sibling to the Leia necklace. The difference is in the size, it's much smaller, and in the original (which was called Planetoid Valley) the thing on each square is cut down, while in Galactic Peak it's the same shape but raised above the square. It wasn't really proper to stand and drool over the necklace, but still it was so beautiful.

14. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I've been trying to work on my necklace and today I bought a silver leafing pen. I tried it out on the back of one of my peices and it keeps rubbing off. I used sculpy to make the peices. Do I need to coat the sculpy in something?

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    It takes a few minutes to dry, in which you want to be very careful not to let anything touch it. I paint the pieces with the pen and carefully set them a couple inches apart from each other on the tray that I'm going to spray the acrylic sealer onto them on.

Seal with the acrylic spray, then another layer of the pen, again being careful to let the paint dry (usually at least 20 minutes to be sure, before it's touchable). But always good to let that final coat sit overnight before putting the necklace together.

Edit: sp

Edit2: the Sculpey pieces are already baked right? Just checking. :) You wouldn't want to bake them with the silver leaf paint on them, it might release noxious fumes and kill you.

16. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    lol yep they're baked already, but thanks for the warning. Can I get that acrylic spray at Michaels? Thanks for the help. :)

17. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Michael's should have a few choices of acrylic sealer. I believe I saw it with the silver and gold leaf stuff, which should also be near the paint section.

When you spray the sealer on, it will dull the silver and make it grey. Not to worry, that's why you do another layer of silver leaf pen.

18. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    Done!:)

http://images103.fotki.com/v411/free/25274/7/708936/4924200/P1000586-vi.jpg?1178939964

19. AmmersVI

Jun 25, 2005
    http://public.fotki.com/AmmersV/sw_costuming/p1000586.html
    (fixed above link)

20. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    That looks great AmmersVI!

21. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I premiered this today at a library event. Special thanks to Sister Sola for the dress and necklace. I just finished the belt and it is sitting a little awkward in these photo but it looks better than this in person.

[image=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/princessleia911/Leia%20Costumes/DSC_0016.jpg]
    [image=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/princessleia911/Leia%20Costumes/DSC_0017.jpg]
    [image=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/princessleia911/Leia%20Costumes/DSC_0024.jpg]
    [image=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/princessleia911/Leia%20Costumes/DSC_0022.jpg]

22. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    You're welcome - you look great!

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    AmmersVI & princessleia911, you both look great in your costumes! :)

24. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Congrats to both of you for getting your costumes done! Yay! You should meet up with us for the C4 ANH Leia Photo shoot (both dresses from ANH are welcome). AmmersVI - I've been wanting one of those ceremony metals. Lucky you! Maybe one day I'll make one, since I can't find the MR one for a reasonable price.

25. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Kay_Dee, you can borrow one of my medals to base one off of if you like (I have two). ;) Now to make a Luke Ceremonial costume....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.