main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I am definately bringing the medal down with me! I would love to say it is mine but I am borrowing it from a friend. I plan to make one of my own when I get back from C4. (the MR ones are a bit on the expensive side!)
    I would love to be in the Leia photo shoot! :D

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Argh! You have 2! I'd love to borrow one - mwhahaha! I'll call you! Maybe I can make it this week!

3. isabeaunavarre

isabeaunavarre Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2006
    I?m new to this thread and I have already learned so much from all of you in the short time that I?ve been here. I?d like to contribute to this thread. I don?t have any sewing tips but here are some pictures of my Lapponia ?Planetary Valleys? necklace. A lot of the pictures online don?t show you the back view detail of the necklace. So I thought that this might be helpful and informative. And I am also including a close-up picture of the clasp. Thanks so much for all the information that I?ve gathered from this thread.

Back view detail:
    [image=http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/isabeaunavarre/Lapponia%20Necklace/DSCF1715.jpg]

Clasp detail:
    [image=http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/isabeaunavarre/Lapponia%20Necklace/DSCF1711.jpg]

4. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for those scans! Lucky you, owning this necklace (did you happen to recently win this on ebay? I soooo wanted it!) :eek:

Anyway, I'm not sure if you were the winner of the auction, but however you got your necklace congrats! Isn't it just to die for?! [face_love]

5. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Lol. I didn't read your post completely before seeing the pictures and just saw 'pictures of my neclace' and thought you made it and was like, dang that is a great looking necklace! I was trying to figure out how you made it so accurate when I read Kay_dee's post and realized it was the actual necklace. lol. I swear I'm a blonde in disguise.

I'm still working on this gown. I had some family er, issues so I didn't finish it when I wanted to (which was monday) I plan on finishing everything today though. I still have to work on my Jedi tunics and Pirate waistcoat.

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Those are great pics of the necklace. *sigh* I think if I had one I'd never take it off. [face_laugh]

7. isabeaunavarre

isabeaunavarre Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2006
    Yes, I totally love it. I will wear it to CIV but without the costume---I am bogged down with prior costuming commitments for other people that I don't have time to make my own costume!:oops:

8. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    [image=http://photos-920.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v71/43/17/4300072/n4300072_30578920_2185.jpg]

[image=http://photos-921.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v71/43/17/4300072/n4300072_30578921_2485.jpg]

[image=http://photos-930.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v71/43/17/4300072/n4300072_30578930_5300.jpg]

[image=http://photos-541.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v75/157/124/4300922/n4300922_30578541_2114.jpg]

I need to a) fix the belt, because one of my button covers came off, b) do the hair, and c) find shoes that aren't Birkenstocks, but I'm otherwise really happy with how this dress came out. :) It was fun to wear to graduation, and I'm glad I went to the kind of school that would let me graduate in costume. :D

9. ShadaErsari

ShadaErsari Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    All of these dresses are so beautiful.

I've been wanting to start on this dress for a while, but I'm such an amateur seamstress. I just started sewing in the last year and half. I do have my own Jedi costume (a work in progress over the last 5 years and finally complete to the point where I'm satisfied with it). But I've been wanting to make something more feminine and yet Star Warsy. This dress seemed perfect.

Any tips for getting started? I'm just a little petrified as starting out. Everyone always seems so...precise and perfect in their method of costuming, and I always feel like I don't quite measure up to par. lol I have a couple of patterns that I picked up and debated on using. I have McCall's 3954 based on a suggestion (I think I read about it here), and I also picked up McCall's M4378 as well.

Am I on the right track, at least? I really don't know where to go from here.

Thanks, everyone!

10. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I used McCalls 3954. Worked out fine but I had problems because the sizes ran a little too big. I actually had to get it taken in when I was done. Something to keep in mind.[face_peace]

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I would probably use the first pattern you posted (McCall's 3954) over the second one. Reason being, the second pattern doesn't actually have an empire waist seam. They only added decorative trim in a V design. Also, if you have not sewn much before I'd probably just not try to add in the upside down V seam under the bust. As other people have attested to in this thread, it is really tricky to do that kind of a seam and get it to lay flat and correctly. IMHO, it is better to do a simplified version with a straight empire seam (like your first pattern) and have it look good, if that makes any sense. And the odds are you will have better looking results if you are a beginner if you don't have to make big changes to the pattern.

That's just my advise - but I'm sure you'll know what approach will feel right for you!

I do find a lot of these patterns run really big. Another bit of advise, make a muslin or two first. Get inexpensive fabric (dollar a yard type stuff) from Walmart that has a similar drape and weight to whatever you plan to use for your real costume. Practice putting a quick version together to get an idea of fit, where you might have to be taking it in, or if you need to use a different size pattern all together (that happens to me at least 50% of the time!).

I think many of us worry about being up to par. I will tell you, my first trip to Dragon*Con (my first convention) actually left me a little depressed. I felt my costumes just didn't measure up to all the fantastic stuff I was seeing. But we all have to learn in steps. Odds are the more we keep at this costume hobby, the better we get! That is my little pep talk :) So just go for it and learn something new!

12. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Shadowdale Creations has a resin version AND a pewter version.
    Here is a pic: [image=http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/leia_necklace_1.jpg]

I don't know if this is the resin or pewter version but it is OH so tempting...=P~ [face_hypnotized]

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, almost looks like they got a hold of the real necklace and recast the pieces. And their idea of doing it in both resin and pewter is very much like the ideas I posted here and on my web site (Interesting....). Oh well, good for them. They did it sooner than I was able to.

In about 6 weeks I should have a fun necklace update though!

14. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    Thanks AmmersVI and kay_dee for the replies! :)

Kay_dee -- I've actually seen your website and work in the past when I first started doing research for this and other costumes. Must say -- very nice work.

I think I like your advice on the straigth empire seam. I'd rather have the dress look good then have it turn into an unrecognizable and unwearable disaster.

I've never done a muslin before. I've read about them, though. I'll look into that, thank you.

I also have a question -- is there a way I can buy extra pattern paper or something instead of cutting my pieces directly from the pattern itself? I'm not sure if that's possible (sorry for my ignorance, but I'm still learning), but if it is, I'd love to know about it.

You felt depressed about your costumes, kay_dee? That's hard to believe based on what I've seen! But yeah, I guess we all do learn in steps. I'm just trying not to let it get me down. lol Ever feel like a little kid staring up at everyone's greatness? That's about how I feel amongst all of you guys! It's amazing to read all of this thread (I'm still working my way through it).

Thank you for the pep talk. I hope I do okay.

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    They are nothing special. Just making a test run of the garment with cheap fabric and sometimes using basting length stitches if you can get away with it. Just quick sloppy versions so you can get an idea of construction and fit and anything that may need to be altered before you cut your good fabric.

Yes, I do this all the time to save my patterns (since a few sizes come on them and I don't always know which one I'll be using - and I always have to alter things anyway) One inexpensive way to trace your patterns is to save thin white tissue paper. Iron it flat and tape it all together to make it a larger piece, and use it as tracing paper. Some people buy roles of paper used in medical exam room tables - I think you can get it from medical supply stores. But I've often found it is not transparent enough to clearly see the pattern through (I think it is meant more for people who make their own patterns). Most often, I shell out the money for large rolls of tracing paper that you can get at art supply stores. When you trace your patterns make sure you iron them first and tape them down to a flat surface so they don't shift around.

Honestly, I did feel that way at Dragon*Con my first time. So that's why I'm saying - please don't feel that way. I'm still amazed by all the talent out there, but now I feel more inspired by it I guess. You'll do fine. I say where there is a will there is a way. It is all a learning experience anyway.

16. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Chiming in with advice: I used McCall's 3954, but I was sneaky. Instead of having a visible empire waist, I did the inside layer as patterned, but modified the outer layer to have the upside-down V, and stitched it on to the inner layer by hand. The wing sleeves were similarly hand-stitched on to the dress (I worked at the costume shop for the opera theater department at school, and had to do a lot of hand-stitching so it really doesn't bother me anymore). So that's a trick to get the dress to lay like you want, but still get the upside-down V effect. :D

17. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    I think I'll use your idea of the tissue paper for tracing my patterns, kay_dee. Thank you!

And I've already said thanks, DWH, but I'll say it again. :)

No real plans to start a muslin yet. Well, I have plans. I have some fabric that's been hanging around waiting for a project (cheapo fabric from the dollar rack at WalMart). But I have no clue when I'll get a break in my schedule to actually sit down and look at things. The most I've done is taken myself to JoAnn Fabrics and educated myself about the different types of satin. [face_blush]

I did, however, find a piece of white vinyl in the remnant bin at WalMart, so I picked that up. I've read that some people have crafted the belt out of vinyl, so I figured that it would at least be useful for a trial run. :)

18. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Another cheap (free!) option for pattern paper is save the Bed Bath and Beyond tissue paper (or any other place that fancies up their stuff when they bag it for you), and tissue paper from gifts etc. I also use the paper from patterns I've used before that I know I'll never use again, or a piece from the pattern with a view I know I'm not going to use.

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    hehe - yeah. That's what I meant by saving thin white tissue paper. I feel like a pack rat but all the tissue I save comes in handy!

20. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Sorry if you've heard this story already...

While I was at C4, and dressed in my Ceremonial Gown, this guy from the 501st approached me and told me he wanted to give me something. I was curious and wondering what he could possibly want to give me. I followed him over to the 501st trailer and I thought for a moment that they were going to kidnap me as a 501st prank on the Rebel Legion, but to my surprise he pulled out a beautiful Ceremonial Medal and gave it to me.

I am so touched by this. I wanted to talk to him longer but was pulled away to go inducted an honorary member. The ceremonial medal was a prop I really wanted to go with my Ceremonial Gown, but never could have produced in the way he did. He sells them for $20 and if you want his email I can give it to you. I have pictures. Mine has a few kinks and scrapes in it, but otherwise I am very pleased with it. :)

If you want his e-mail you can pm me or e-mail me at JJ9437 (at) yahoo.com.

The Master Replica version:

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/ceremonial%20gown/Yavin_Medal_MR_by_FenigDurak.jpg]

My medal:

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/ceremonial%20gown/mymedal.jpg]

[image=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/ceremonial%20gown/medalcloseup.jpg]]

21. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    What an amazing story, Jedi-Siri! That was so nice! :)

22. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh my! That is a nice replica. Really tempting me. :p

Looking back at my Cloths Mountain (ya, finally tidy them up and boxed and labelled for easy access later), I really wonder when I can afford to get my Manga Version done. :oops: Why in the world did I select a more difficult version to do that could even require plastic bonnings? :oops:

23. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Alright...I'm sure this question has probably been asked countless times...

What is the census vote on the sheer outer sleeves of the gown? Does it connect all around the neckline or just at the front? I've seen so many different gowns researching this so I was just wondering what y'all's advice would be!

God bless,
    Malz

24. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    It connects around the neckline and stops at the shoulder seam and then flows out. I hope that makes sense. You can see in this pic:

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/shoulder_1.jpg]

You can see her skin when she leans forward so no, the shear fabric isn't connected all the way around, just the front.

25. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    This promo picture shows it pretty well also:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/?action=view&current=ceremony22.jpg

And here's another:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/Costume%20designs/?action=view&current=screen05.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.