Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    How's the gown coming along, Paradoxigirl?

I just bought material for the dress last night, a white crepe de chine, I think? I wrote down the type of fabric I looked at for two other projects, but forgot to write down what I actually bought. The sheer material for the cape I found at Sir's Fabric in Fayetteville, TN, but that's all I can tell you about that. :)

Hopefully I can start on mine sometime next week, after DragonCon.
  2. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I think she's having her Prelims Exams now.
  3. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    StormtrooperPrincess: It's cool that you've got your fabric! Darth_Eagle is right about the exams--I just finished a round of mock exams and my prelims are in a weeks time followed relatively closely by my actual As, which basically puts me into a huge swot-fest right about now...

Other than that, I've located the fabric that I want too! I want to use Bridal Satin for the dress (SGD18.95 a metre, though, sheesh) and georgette for the sleeves (another 6 or 7 dollars per metre). I'm being financed by my mum, though, so that's cool.

I have exactly 7 days from the end of my last paper to the actual prom, so plenty of time to get my dress done. I'm already excited! *grinning*

Good luck with your dress, StormtrooperPrincess, I know it'll turn out *great*!!!
  4. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I'm rather at a stand still at the moment on this. For the back of the dress, I'm using the Simplicity pattern Mirax recommended, but for the front I'm drafting my own pattern to match. I've got the neckline piece worked out, it's just the bottom part I'm having trouble with. One instance where paper just does not work when fiddling with patterns.

But I'm getting some cheap material at Wal-mart this afternoon, so I can drape it. Hopefully that will work. This dress needs to be done by Oct 28 for a Children's Hospital event.
  5. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi there, StormtrooperPrincess, tell us about any problems you're having and maybe we can help? What exactly isn't going right?

I've got my material too, bridal satin (on sale! $16.95/m as opposed to the expected 18.95/m) and georgette for the sleeves. I'm committed now to making this...there's no turning back from here... =)

I also got some cheap(er) material to do a second trial run--I wasn't pleased with the flow of the skirt of the first one. Hope it goes okay.

Anyway, good luck, StormTrooperPrincess, and don't worry. I'm sure everything will turn out great!

Remember...the Force will be with you...always. =)
  6. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    The problem is that since I'm not using the front pattern piece as it is, the front panel underneath the empire waist part is too wide because there are no darts to take in that extra material. So it doesn't look right at all, more like a maternity version of the gown. (I've been playing with paper and my dress form at this point.)

After lunch I'm going to a mock-up of the front using some Wal-mart clearance fabric. I think that all I have to do is redraw the side seams down through the hip. If something goes wrong, or if it works out all right, I'll let y'all know.
  7. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's what the problem is: I didn't take all of the extra space for the darts out of the front panel when I traced out the front pattern piece for the dress. I just pinned the two front pieces (and the back piece) to Margaret, my dress form, and that helped solve things. After taking out about an inch at each side where the darts used to be, everything hangs much better, and it's stopped looking like a maternity gown. Later on tonight, after class, I'll fiddle with it a bit more to get it exactly right before cutting into my fabric. :)
  8. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm glad you're figuring your gown out. I'm sure it'll be great! =)

I've got to fix the skirt of mine, its a little odd...sigh, so much stuff to do, so little time... =)
  9. _Madeleine_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I saw this page and I thought of you guys?Maybe you have all seen it?Well I post it anyway :)

click here...

10. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, yes, I've seen it. *smile* That's my guide for when I make the necklace. The Parts of Star Wars is a really neat site, isn't it?
  11. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I got paranoid yesterday afternoon that I was going to mess something up big time??I still have my doubts about putting in that zipper??so I bought 3 yards of some 60" white crepe, not nearly as nice as the hampton crepe I started with but still good, at Wal-Mart. I did a pin fitting with Mom's help this evening, and it looks like everything's going to work out fine. But I'm still keeping the other fabric handy just in case. ;)

Tomorrow afternoon I should hopefully start sewing this together, after I get the cape and lining materials pre-washed. Yay!
  12. _Madeleine_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes it's a really great site! I I'm going to make the ceremonial dress and the "help me obi wan"-dress to a doll.
    To bad the last dress wasn't listed on the site :(
    But I?ll think I?m going to make it anyway...can't be that hard to sew, especially for a doll :)
  13. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I typed out a lot of comments about the other ANH Leia dress in the only remaining thread about it, so maybe that'll help?

As far as updates on this dress go... All the pieces are cut out, except for the lining (a nude lingere material) and the cape, which I'll be attaching in places as I go along, then trimming once the rest of the dress is done. In my mind that works. Let's just hope it does in life. Because of Oktoberfest opening ceremonies tomorrow afternoon, I probably won't get to start sewing until Monday evening.
  14. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Minor belt triumph!

I tried spray painting my belt (white marine vinyl) with Rust-O-Leum chrome, but as Mirax H said on the first page, the paint stayed tacky. Last night in Hobby Lobby, while getting sculpey and stuff to make the jewelry, I came across Krylon Short Cuts, little half cans of spray paint, on the acryllic paints aisle. It's hobby/model enamel (stated on the front of the can; also says it works on things like foamboard) and dries in 30 minutes.

And it works. [face_love]

Did a test spray this morning, and when I checked it at lunch, it was completely dry, no tackiness, and very little rubbing off. So I went ahead and painted my belt, which is now also completely dry. Although it does rub off a little more than the test piece did, possibly because the other had far more time to dry before I started rubbing on it. Yay.

I'm going to see if they have a clear coat spray, if rubbing off does become a problem.
  15. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Congratulations, StormtrooperPrincess! I'm glad you found a solution for your belt! =)
  16. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Spent two hours last night shaping my necklace pieces. One-inch squares, sixteen of them, with a raised design that looks almost like a leaf outline. I'm waiting for the chrome spray paint to dry at the moment.

I used most of a block of silver Sculpey III. After rolling it out to a thickness that matched that of my wooden ruler, I trimmed it into the aforementioned one-inch squares, about a quarter inch thick. The raised design was created by rolling the clay scraps into a thin snake, pinching off two pieces about the length of a finger tip, curving them from one corner to its opposite to make that leaf shape. After smoothing them down as best I could so there was no seamlines, I used a cake tester to make a hole for threading along one edge. Any rough spots I could sand smooth, I did once they were baked. So far the spray paint has hidden any other surface imperfections.

The night before, I made the rectangles for the bracelet. About two & a half inches tall, a little less than an inch & a half wide. Those are drying, too.

As soon as it's safe to go back in the house (it's being fumegated for spiders), I'll get more of the sewing for this dress done. Not much more than a week before I have to wear it. Yikes!
  17. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Whhe, not much left to do on this dress!

I need to put the zipper in on the left side, sew up the right, and hem both the dress and the cape. All of which (with porobably the exception of the cape) I'll finish tomorrow.

For the cape, after I sewed the front and back pieces of the dress together, I tucked the material around the neckline and machine sewed it down through all six of the layers (two facings, the front and back, and then two of the cape). If I had to do this over again, I'd hem the cape neckline edge, then hand stitch it to the facings on the inside so it would have a smooth look, not that seam around the neck. I'd also use a very very light material (and one that doesn't fray as easily) for the cape. This gets quite heavy, because of the amount of it, and it pulls the neckline in the back down and out. I'm hoping that after I trim away the excess material, it won't pull as much. As it is right now, there's more fabric hanging from the shoulders than center back, because the cape is still one giant rectangle.
  18. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    StormtrooperPrincess: It's great that you're nearly done! I'm sure your costume looks great!

Out of curiosity, since you're handling the cape now...

My cape is basically a large rectangle too. Is it more authentic to leave the excess (so that there are 'ripples' of fabric across the chest and back) or to get rid of it so that it hangs smoothly? My only fear if I did the latter is that my arms would be restricted...what do you think?
  19. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    So Paradoxigirl, how is yours coming along? The 'A' is barely a few weeks away right? ;)

Can't wait to see your finish Gown too, StormtrooperPrincess! :)
  20. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Mine is fairly smooth across the chest. In back, the material is kind of gathered in places, mostly just at the curve near each shoulder, to help hide a cutting mistake I made Sunday. I was trimming out a little of the neck area so it would hang on Margaret (my dress form) better, rather than being caught up on the "neck", and cut a little farther in back than I needed. There were two cuts that made a flap that hung out, and I needed to pull the material up so that the cuts were on the inside of the neckline. Except for the neckline tugging down a little, it doesn't look that bad.

When I tried it on Tuesday night, the material didn't congregate in front of my arms as much as I thought it would (although I do understand why she holds her arms the way she does in that final shot of the ceremony!). Nothing like the sleeves, and I don't think as much as it does in the cape picture I used (http://bluecastle.crosswinds.net/Leia-with-cape.jpg). When I trim it, I'm going to try to make the sides curve around some so that there's not as much material at my fingertips, so I'm not constantly trying to get my hands free.

I know I'll have pictures on Monday, but I'll probably have one or two before then, too. ;)
  21. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey there, Darth_Eagle, you're right, the A's are awfully close, in fact, I just had my German reading comprehension. I just can't wait for the A's to be over so I can get down to the really important stuff...like costuming! Haha!

I haven't actually done anything yet because I've been so busy with prep for the A's. I've got this awful purple-with-gold-pattern that I got cheap to do a second trial because the first one's skirt hung oddly...then I've got some great fabric for the real deal...except that I could weep because the fabric store is having a 15%-off-everything sale tomorrow and I already dropped $80 on my fabric and stuff...sigh...

Anyhow, I'm rethinking this completely and thinking of doing the 'cape' as sleeves, i.e. they only start at the arms and don't cover the shoulders at all. I was just wondering if that'd be most authentic. Right now, my 'cape' is split in the middle, and creates a sort of wide upside-down V shape at the neckline as it goes towards my arms, if you see what I mean.

Any thoughts? They'd be awfully helpful, since I'm completely and utterly confused now...

Sorry for the long post, by the way...
  22. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I stayed up until 2:30 yesterday morning roll hemming the cape so it would be finished in time to wear. No pictures yet, because I didn't get any with my camera. But between Thursday and Saturday, I have a feelign I'll end up with a ton.

Amidala_wannabe, don't worry, my skirt hangs oddly in the front, too. (I'm planning to put this one up on eBay and make a second version at some point to "fix" things.) I think that it's because of the inverted V piece across the chest. Maybe taking in a little material at the sides at your waist(not on the back piece, jut the front) will help?

Sleeves shouldn't be too hard. From watching that scene over and over again, I almost think that the cape/sleeves cover her chest in that inverted V in front, but stop at the top shoulder seam and follow the armhole in the back. So it's kind of like a regular sleeve except for the way it does in front, if that makes any sense.
  23. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey there, everyone, how are the gowns coming along? Great, I bet! =)

I just started cutting my fabric. I'm really nervous about the sleeves/cape. I'm doing them like you suggested, StormtrooperPrincess, like a normal sleeve in back, but I hope it works out. *fingers crossed* Because they're quite wide, the extra material between the end of the sleeve and the end of the sleeve/cape is getting sewn into the side seam. I also squared off the front--then at least I have a choice if I want to make it into a V-shape or not.

I was wondering--if I don't want to hand-roll the sleeves/cape (because I don't think I have enough time), what should I do with them? Machine rolling might be an idea, but I'm borrowing my friend's machine (because mine died) and I don't know if it can roll hems. Any suggestions?

Paradoxigirl, who again apologises for the verbosity of her post.
  24. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, I hope it works out, too! I'm sure it will. :)

I kind of think that the extra bit of the sleeve material in the side seam will help give the sleeves that "look," like they engulf your arms so you have to stand with your arms posed like Leia's in order for your hands to be free. With mine, I don't have that effect because the cape really doesn't cover that much of my arms or hands. (The sides of the "V" don't come far enough down, for one thing. Something to be fixed in my next version. Eventually.)

Machine rolling could work. I've never done it before, so don't know exactly how it's done. If her machine doesn't, you could always fold the edge over a small amount, then fold it over again (so the raw edge is on the inside) and sew down the middle of that. It would just be tricky to keep the fold the same width all the way around, and to keep the seam fairly straight.
  25. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for the encouragement! I feel good vibes already! =)

Your second suggestion for the sleeves was exactly what I had in mind if her machine didn't roll. That's why I squared off the front V, to facilitate this. Either way, I hope it works.

I entertained thoughts of pulling an all-nighter tonight in order to hand-roll the sleeves but I don't look forward to hand-rolling some 5 odd metres of hem, especially when I haven't even machine rolled successfully, let alone by hand. That, and I want to look good for prom in 2 nights time!

I still have to figure out what I'm doing with my facings, if I'm doing them at all...so much to do, so little time... =)
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.