Princess Leia Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin
  1. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Trust me, do not pull an all-nighter to hand roll hems. They start to look a little... odd the later it gets. :)
  2. Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I did it!

It took me from 2 in the afternoon till midnight, but I finished the dress yesterday! I didn't pull an all-nighter on the sleeves, just folded them over and stitched. Much much faster...

I wore the dress earlier tonight to the prom. I got so many compliments that I think my head has swelled to several times its usual size. =) But I'm so happy!

The only things I can think of that I don't like is that the neckline is a little too low and that I didn't face anything, so I have to be careful or the turned-and-stitched bits will show.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them developed and scanned.

A prom-high Paradoxigirl.
  3. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yay! You deserve every compliment you got on it. :)
  4. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    paradoxgirl, be sure to show us some pictures after you've recovered. :)

-sg
  5. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Looking forward to pics!!!
  6. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes, yes, must see pics please! :)
  7. Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hi everyone! Here are some of the better pictures. Looking at them, I've realised something--I'm unable to keep my eyes open while smiling, but I'll put it down to the wideness of my grin and sheer exuberance. Oh well... =) I'm sorry but you'll have to cut and paste because it's Geocities. All the names run left to right.

Me and Xixi:
    http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/meandxixi.JPG

Aaron, Nick and I:
    http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/aaronnickme.JPG

Audrey (with her hand up), Sa'adia and I:
    http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/audsaadme.JPG

Me, Nick, Sa'adia, Paul and JoBeth:
    http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/menicksaadpauljobeth.JPG

Me, Rachel (in red) and Sa'adia (in blue):
    http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/merachsaadia.JPG

If you want more pictures or pictures of specific parts of the dress, just ask me. =)

EDIT: Don't know how I forgot this shot, since its my favourite of the lot. Damien and I ham it up for the camera:
    http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/hams.JPG
  8. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh, that turned out beautifully! :)
  9. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Just gorgeous, Paradoxigirl! Kudos to you! I can see why it was a rousing success. :)
  10. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    You look just lovely, Paradoxgirl!
    Great job -- and it looks like a fabulous time was had by all.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

-sg
  11. Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling

star 1
    *blush blush blush blush* Aw shucks...you're all making me blush now...thank you all so much for all your kind words!

Really, though, I couldn't have done it without all your help, support and encouragement. Thank you all! Here's to more beautiful costumes!
  12. lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You really did a fabulous job on that dress, Paradoxigirl! Thanks for posting your pics. :)
  13. Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Thank you so much, lavagrrrl! You're very welcome!

I was wondering, does anyone else have pictures of this costume up? I remember you saying that you did, StormtrooperPrincess, but I was so busy with the exams that I forgot to ask where...
  14. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
  15. Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling

star 1
    StormtrooperPrincess, your dress is lovely! The belt is totally impressive too! I kind of wish I'd made a belt now! Definitely pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
  16. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes, indeed, that is a stunning gown, StormtrooperPrincess! :)
  17. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Very pretty, love the way the sleeves fall so nicely. Makes me want to redo mine.
  18. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Thanks, y'all. :) There are things I'd like to do differently to it, but I guess that's just a part of costuming, trying to make it better each time.
  19. Darth_Eagle Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan Jedi Academy had put up a little tutorial on the way this gown comes together recently:

Princess Leia Ceremonial Dress Tips

If I'm not mistaken, it's not 100% complete and the writers will welcome any more tips concerning the gown. ;)

StormtrooperPrincess & Paradoxigirl, both your Leia Gowns look great! :)
  20. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
    *sigh* Now why couldn't they have come out with this pattern last year? Simplicity 5590 looks like it would be a good base for this dress. Already has the inverted V at the bust and everything. Oh, well. It's in my collection now, for the next time I make this dress (which won't be for a very long time!).
  21. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh, rats! :eek: That's much better than the one I bought last month--this one would need much less alteration than the other. Well, I haven't started the muslin yet, so it's not too late. And with my projects mounting quickly, I will do anything to save myself time. Looks like I'm running to Hancock tonight!

Thanks for discovering that, StormtrooperPrincess! :)
  22. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Glad it helps someone out. :)

Let me know how using it goes. If I have time over the summer (and find fabrics I like), I may make a better version for DragonCon.
  23. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh, I will be sure to. My goal is to get this and the other ANH gown done by May (I've been contracted to do a couple of LOTR costumes for a couple of friends, and that will really take up my time).

The pattern I did have was similar to the one you found, although the bodice point was more pronounced and the neckline a higher than the average scoop. It meant more alteration than I would have liked, but there had been no other suitable pattern that I could find last month. I'm willing to do things from scratch, but that's a last resort. So I'm definitely picking up this one, to save me some trouble. :)

I'll keep you posted. :)
  24. TS3306 Jedi Youngling

www.jedi-academy.com has a tutorial for a leia ANH ceremonial dress....or has that already been posted?
  25. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling

star 3
    It's already been mentioned. :)

I, personally, don't care for it that much because I don't like the pattern they used for the base. The new Simplicity one we're discussing just looks much more like the right shape for the bodice of it. My nitpicky things about the JA-recommended pattern: The princess seams, while nice for adding shape, aren't visible on the original if they were used (if you look at the picture on the main page of the tutorial, there aren't any princess seams), and I don't like the seam down the center. That is definately not there.

As a tutorial for someone not nearly as picky as I am about how my Leia costumes look compared with the originals, it's a pretty good tutorial.
Moderators: Briannakin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.